Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 18, 2023 10:45 PM

May 2022
I mistakenly made a post here about Bakemonogatari, but I am now updating having actually watched some of Season 2 (6 episodes so far in fact). And I think the shows gotten even better!

I'm overjoyed with how compelling it is to keep watching these characters as I learn more about them and their personal stories. The pace in which characters and story develop is really great.. it almost seems effortlessly done. Sometimes I do feel like I have to dig a bit to keep track of things but I don't mind at all (that in itself seems part of the fun anyhow). What else? Well it seems there is a healthier amount of ecchi I think, but I don't mind this at all as the characters are so great to look at. The art, the colors, the design and animation is so compelling to witness in conjunction with the crazy plot and their quirky characters.

All that said.. more to the reason of this topic. I wanted to talk a bit about the Hanekawa's Tiger Arc; 

Having just finished watching Hanekawa's Tiger Arc I was surprised to see how serious her side of things were. Hanekawa really did have have the worst of it despite how hard she worked to keep everything together. It would seem her approach to life either made things worst or were the sole reason of all her problems.. Likely the latter. Anyhow in the end her friends cared for her and came to help her in her time of need even in the case that she never could ask for their help (she does manage to ask her unusually empathetic oddity eventually though). And in the aftermath of all that she finally breaks out of that pure white character that caused her so much trouble. So I am happy for her despite what she went through and despite her current circumstances of unrequited love. (Probably for the best as Araragi is a weirdo lol. I still cant decide where I sit with that guy's personality and/or motive, but I do love that about him. That and his absurdedness!)

All in all I think I enjoyed this arc more than any before this one. Maybe its because I found myself relating to Hanekawa in more than a couple of ways.. or maybe its because at this point in the series a lot of pieces are coming together for many of the characters. Maybe its the excellent ecchi shots I'm now accustomed to. I also probably enjoyed that this seem like the most serious Oddity case thus far. Yeah.. this arc felt very grounded in humanity and its intricacies If I had to put it into few words. What did you guys think of the story up to this point? I know its probably been a while for a good number of you and I am totally late to the party, but I'm happy with any discussions really.
LordKirkisApr 18, 2023 11:12 PM
Apr 18, 2023 11:04 PM

Aug 2020
monogatari second season has really good arc. I like all especially Nadeko Sengoku arc which is upcoming.
Apr 18, 2023 11:08 PM
Mar 2022
Tsubasa Tiger is easily one of the best arcs of the whole series. That letter at the end always gets me, along with Araragi's entry and dialogues at the end. There's such complexity to Hanekawa's character arc being wrapped up, but it's also presented in such a simple but satisfying way. Not a single wasted scene or conversation.

Plus something worth noting is how this arc sets up multiple different arcs that make sense much later on. Once you finish the show, you'll find it fun to come back to this and connect all the dots to have certain scenes be even more fun.

Although I have to say that if you thought this was great, you're gonna have a blast with the rest of the season. Every single arc in this one is on the same level, or even sometimes better than this one.

Edit - As for Araragi, the next few arcs should clear a lot of stuff up. He's easily top 3 characters of the show and that complexity starts showing from the next arc.
Apr 18, 2023 11:15 PM

May 2022
VilexRoss said:
monogatari second season has really good arc. I like all especially Nadeko Sengoku arc which is upcoming.
Sengoku! OH I cant wait! :O I am sure I will like it. Her character and her case is definitely likely to be interesting! (I am also curious to learn more about why Kanbaru considers her the "final boss" x) )
LordKirkisApr 18, 2023 11:27 PM
Apr 18, 2023 11:22 PM

May 2022
RandomPerson9348 said:
Tsubasa Tiger is easily one of the best arcs of the whole series. That letter at the end always gets me, along with Araragi's entry and dialogues at the end. There's such complexity to Hanekawa's character arc being wrapped up, but it's also presented in such a simple but satisfying way. Not a single wasted scene or conversation.

Plus something worth noting is how this arc sets up multiple different arcs that make sense much later on. Once you finish the show, you'll find it fun to come back to this and connect all the dots to have certain scenes be even more fun.

Although I have to say that if you thought this was great, you're gonna have a blast with the rest of the season. Every single arc in this one is on the same level, or even sometimes better than this one.

Edit - As for Araragi, the next few arcs should clear a lot of stuff up. He's easily top 3 characters of the show and that complexity starts showing from the next arc.

Ah so you enjoyed Tsubasa Tiger Arc a lot too huh? I thought it was really great too and a standout!

But seriously now you got me pumped! I am so glad to hear the rest is as awesome. And yes I did notice how this series seemingly sets up a lot of what it means to lead up to (in fact at times some characters break the fourth wall to outright tell me to look forward to their subsequent arc!). Because of that I end up enjoying the seamless progression and feel for how the story develops. Its awesome and I'm definitely now pumped for more. 
LordKirkisApr 18, 2023 11:25 PM
Apr 18, 2023 11:32 PM
Mar 2022
LordKirkis said:
RandomPerson9348 said:

Ah so you enjoyed Tsubasa Tiger Arc a lot too huh? I thought it was really great too and a standout!

But seriously now you got me pumped! I am so glad to hear the rest is as awesome. And yes I did notice how this series seemingly sets up a lot of what it means to lead up to (in fact at times some characters break the fourth wall to outright tell me to look forward to their subsequent arc!). Because of that I end up enjoying the seamless progression and feel for how the story develops. Its awesome and I'm definitely now pumped for more. 

What would Monogatari be without Hachikuji or Senjougahara randomly breaking the fourth wall?

If you want a bit more from Tsubasa Tiger, I would definitely recommend searching up the novel somewhere online. The letter she writes to Black Hanekawa is actually one whole chapter, and much longer than the anime. Having seen both, the one in the novel is easily so much better, and adds a lot to her character.

And as an additional idea, I'd recommend remembering/noting down the dates they tell you at the beginning of every arc. This one August week is very important with a lot of stuff happening. Taking note of what date and time it is helps connecting some arcs and understanding the larger picture.
Apr 18, 2023 11:37 PM

May 2022
RandomPerson9348 said:
LordKirkis said:

What would Monogatari be without Hachikuji or Senjougahara randomly breaking the fourth wall?

If you want a bit more from Tsubasa Tiger, I would definitely recommend searching up the novel somewhere online. The letter she writes to Black Hanekawa is actually one whole chapter, and much longer than the anime. Having seen both, the one in the novel is easily so much better, and adds a lot to her character.

And as an additional idea, I'd recommend remembering/noting down the dates they tell you at the beginning of every arc. This one August week is very important with a lot of stuff happening. Taking note of what date and time it is helps connecting some arcs and understanding the larger picture.
Hmm! No doubt I could go for more context in everything that happened. Thanks for sharing and I will consider the novel read besides the certain re watch of the arcs while taking note of the dates. I am curious.
Apr 19, 2023 12:08 AM

Mar 2020
RandomPerson9348 said:
LordKirkis said:

x2 at taking notes at the dates. It's fun to see how the events makes other develop, and so on. I forgot about Kabukimonogatari's mentioned date (Hachikuji arc) and, while they did explain it, I think it's better to say "Oh! So this is what happened".

โOnly you can save yourself.โž
I only know what I know, I guess?
Yuri enjoyer and El Cazador de la Bruja fan
Apr 19, 2023 12:11 AM
Jul 2020
It’s been a while since I’ve watched it, but I remember Tsubasa Tiger being such a great arc and one of my personal favorites in the series. Second season has the best collection of arcs. For me it’s where the Monogatari series goes from really good to amazing. The writing and character depth in this season is honestly unmatched in anime (except maybe by later Monogatari arcs). Glad to hear that you are enjoying it as well!
Apr 19, 2023 1:04 AM

Jul 2015
Black Hanekawa was my first anime boner ever.

Apr 19, 2023 1:23 AM

May 2022
Omnisaur said:
Not sure if you like Kaiki but my favourite arc in the series is the final one of SS and he’s the protagonist of it. Hope you enjoy it when you get to it.
I absolutely love Kaiki. His theme ost is awesome as are his banter! Nice to know he sees a great amount of screen time!

BetterBegoneThot said:
RandomPerson9348 said:

x2 at taking notes at the dates. It's fun to see how the events makes other develop, and so on. I forgot about Kabukimonogatari's mentioned date (Hachikuji arc) and, while they did explain it, I think it's better to say "Oh! So this is what happened".
Noted! Ill definitely begin keeping track to get the most out of it!

Piromysl said:
No kidding! Black Hanekawa looks incredible! +_+
Apr 19, 2023 1:27 AM

May 2022
LodedDiperFan77 said:
It’s been a while since I’ve watched it, but I remember Tsubasa Tiger being such a great arc and one of my personal favorites in the series. Second season has the best collection of arcs. For me it’s where the Monogatari series goes from really good to amazing. The writing and character depth in this season is honestly unmatched in anime (except maybe by later Monogatari arcs).  Glad to hear that you are enjoying it as well!
Ill consider that another vote for Tsubasa Tiger Arc! It really was great. Certainly a great way to start the season too!

Edit: Lol Araragi and Shinobu destroyed present time by saving Mayoi. That's hilarious, but a bit sad to know it couldn't work out well to try and prevent her accident.
LordKirkisApr 19, 2023 1:33 AM
Apr 19, 2023 1:47 AM
Jan 2023
The story arcs in “Second Season” are absolutely incredible.
Apr 19, 2023 3:37 AM

May 2020
Glad you are enjoying it. S2 on its own is one of the best anime seasons out there )
Apr 19, 2023 3:49 AM
Dec 2020
she doesnt have another arc ๐Ÿ˜”
Apr 19, 2023 6:26 PM
Jun 2020
Not gonna read everything but I’m glad you’re enjoying it because this anime is flames.
Apr 19, 2023 9:05 PM
May 2021
LordKirkis said:
I mistakenly made a post here about Bakemonogatari, but I am now updating having actually watched some of Season 2 (6 episodes so far in fact). And I think the shows gotten even better!

I'm overjoyed with how compelling it is to keep watching these characters as I learn more about them and their personal stories. The pace in which characters and story develop is really great.. it almost seems effortlessly done. Sometimes I do feel like I have to dig a bit to keep track of things but I don't mind at all (that in itself seems part of the fun anyhow). What else? Well it seems there is a healthier amount of ecchi I think, but I don't mind this at all as the characters are so great to look at. The art, the colors, the design and animation is so compelling to witness in conjunction with the crazy plot and their quirky characters.

All that said.. more to the reason of this topic. I wanted to talk a bit about the Hanekawa's Tiger Arc; 

Having just finished watching Hanekawa's Tiger Arc I was surprised to see how serious her side of things were. Hanekawa really did have have the worst of it despite how hard she worked to keep everything together. It would seem her approach to life either made things worst or were the sole reason of all her problems.. Likely the latter. Anyhow in the end her friends cared for her and came to help her in her time of need even in the case that she never could ask for their help (she does manage to ask her unusually empathetic oddity eventually though). And in the aftermath of all that she finally breaks out of that pure white character that caused her so much trouble. So I am happy for her despite what she went through and despite her current circumstances of unrequited love. (Probably for the best as Araragi is a weirdo lol. I still cant decide where I sit with that guy's personality and/or motive, but I do love that about him. That and his absurdedness!)

All in all I think I enjoyed this arc more than any before this one. Maybe its because I found myself relating to Hanekawa in more than a couple of ways.. or maybe its because at this point in the series a lot of pieces are coming together for many of the characters. Maybe its the excellent ecchi shots I'm now accustomed to. I also probably enjoyed that this seem like the most serious Oddity case thus far. Yeah.. this arc felt very grounded in humanity and its intricacies If I had to put it into few words. What did you guys think of the story up to this point? I know its probably been a while for a good number of you and I am totally late to the party, but I'm happy with any discussions really.

when i watched monogatari for the first time i liked bake and nise pretty well but second season blew me away, i loved Nekomonogatari white and it might be my favorite arc in monogatari
Apr 20, 2023 6:35 AM

Aug 2020
LordKirkis said:

And that’s why hanewaka is best girl.
Apr 20, 2023 6:36 AM

Aug 2020
Piromysl said:

Had a boner bc of her in kizumonogatari too lmao
Apr 20, 2023 6:56 AM

Sep 2020
Holy crap, Hanekawa gets a tiger arc in the second season?

๐’ฎ๐‘œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‰๐’พ๐“‚๐‘’๐“ˆ, ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ'๐“‰ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ ๐’ป๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Œ๐’ถ๐“‡๐’น ๐“Œ๐’พ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Š๐“‰ ๐’ธ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘” ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’น๐‘œ๐‘œ๐“‡ ๐’ท๐‘’๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š. - ๐‘…๐‘’๐’พ ๐’ฆ๐’พ๐“‡๐’พ๐“Ž๐’ถ๐“‚๐’ถ

Apr 20, 2023 4:28 PM
Aug 2022
VilexRoss said:

i think its the best season of monogatari
Apr 20, 2023 9:19 PM

Aug 2020
21bj said:
VilexRoss said:

It's either monogatari second season or Owarimonogatari in my opinion.
Apr 20, 2023 10:15 PM
Aug 2022
VilexRoss said:
21bj said:

It's either monogatari second season or Owarimonogatari in my opinion.

im gonna start owari today and im too excited for it rn

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2013

421 by MysteriousFriend »»
Yesterday, 11:01 AM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2013

248 by Benkei13 »»
Sep 22, 12:38 AM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 3, 2013

415 by JoaoPedru »»
Sep 20, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2013

218 by 0451 »»
Sep 15, 10:05 AM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2013

171 by YeetYoloLol »»
Sep 4, 12:12 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.