Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 22, 2022 6:40 AM
Dec 2022
Do not read this if you do not want to read something that may take some while!!!
Also, I am doing this because I am very interested in Psychotherapy and thought this would be fun and not because i am some creepy, over analyzing fan. This post is meant as a training for myself.

In the following I will diagnose Komi medically, as a psychiatrist/psychotherapist would, and describe what successful therapy would look like for her.

I am not a psychiatrist/psychotherapist, so no one should take this diagnosis seriously, let alone apply it to themselves if they have symptoms like Komi. If any of the Symptoms sound familiar please seek professional help.

I do not even have to start from scratch for the diagnose, as the Anime already alludes several times to the illness Komi suffers from: social anxiety disorder.
Symptoms that are shown in the series and speak for a social anxiety disorder would be symptoms like blushing (erythrophobia), trembling, heart palpitations, sweating, shortness of breath, speech inhibition and frequent slips of the tongue (when she tries to speak).
Although Komi seems to have a very pronounced anxiety disorder (unable to talk to someone when they look at her/ are close to her, even with family members, and very pronounced symptoms) it is remarkable that she does not isolate herself completely socially. Of course, she only does not because she is a fictional character and the anime/manga couldn't attract a wide audience otherwise. Instead of withdrawing, Komi tries to communicate with her outside world through writing, which is accepted because of her physical appearance in the anime. If she was not physically attractive for her classmates, she would hardly be able to get anyone to take her seriously. A big motivational help for her to communicate with her surrounding is of course her goal (to make 100 friends), the will and the power to change something about herself that makes her feel miserable and her two best friends Tadano Hitohito and Osana Najimi who support Komi achieving her goal.
Of course, this support is not enough for such a pronounced social anxiety disorder, which is why a therapy supported by medication would make sense.
I think cognitive behavioral therapy would be the most effective psychotherapeutic treatment. Affected people review and change their negative evaluation patterns and basic beliefs. At the same time, they learn to take risks and to deal with possible mistakes and rejection. Claims to perfection are questioned, and self-acceptance and independence from the opinions of others are strengthened. In my opinion, this therapy would also be very helpful because Komi shows positive tendencies in changing her behavior (Goal,Friends). A therapist could be a great help in counseling for next steps and would also be a good companion or emotional support.
Possible medications to support the therapy would be the antidepressants that are often used when someone has social anxiety disorder, such as SSRIs (Escitalopram, Paroxetine, Sertraline) and MAOs (Phenelzine). It should be noted, however, that Phenelzine, although it shows almost the best results, causes a strong weight gain, which could cause problems when it comes to communication, because Komi's communication is only accepted because of her physical appearance. Assuming phenelzine doesn't work for her, but she gains weight, it takes away a lot of opportunity. Also, SSRIs and MAOs take weeks or months to start working.  Therefore I think benzodiazepines would be more affective. Unlike antidepressants, these drugs do not take effect after weeks or even months, but a few minutes after ingestion. In addition, benzodiazepines generally have a comparably favorable side-effect and interaction profile, but always carry the risk of abuse. However, I consider this risk to be low in Komi's case as there are no signs of addiction in her or her family's history, at least as far as I know. Similar to antidepressants, benzodiazepines are available in a wide range of active substances, whereby several substances may have to be tested on individual patients until a suitable benzodiazepine is found. Half-life and duration are also taken into account in the selection process. In my opinion, benzodiazepines with a fast onset of action would be appropriate for Komi, as it seems to me that she has panic attacks frequently in the anime. Specifically, that would be Alprazolam (Xanax) 0.5mg twice a day or 1mg Clonazepam once a day.

This concludes what I wanted to say in this post. After finishing this "essay" I realized that my diagnose is not really completed I would say. At least that is how it feels like. So maybe add something if you want to or think something should be done differently.

I want to remind you guys again I am no psychiatrist or psychotherapist so do not take anything I said seriously.

Furthermore English is not my first language so please forgive me for my grammar and language mistakes.

Bye and have a great day!
PsychVstarDec 22, 2022 7:01 AM
Dec 22, 2022 6:56 AM
Dec 2022
I wasn't paying attention, can you say that one more time?
Dec 22, 2022 7:03 AM

Apr 2016
Shes also an anime girl character.
Dec 22, 2022 7:10 AM

Mar 2021
God damn my boi show that to your English teacher not in this website.
Dec 22, 2022 7:14 AM

Dec 2021

sorry but noway I'm gonna read that

"𝑰𝒇 𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝑰 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒔 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆, 𝒐𝒓 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆𝒔, 𝑰 𝒈𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒔?"
» [JELEE] «
0:00 〇────── 4:47
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Dec 22, 2022 7:19 AM
Mar 2021
anyone read all dat?
Dec 22, 2022 7:20 AM

Aug 2018
Swagernator said:

yeah she's got a bad case of animegirlitis

Dec 22, 2022 7:41 AM
Mar 2021
(character limit)
Dec 22, 2022 8:02 AM

Jun 2021
For English not being your first language this is incredibly well worded! I would have had no idea.

I think a great medication for Komi would be a beta blocker like propranolol. It would help with her physical anxiety symptoms like heart racing and nervous adrenaline. Making it easier for her to breathe when it gets hard could make a world of difference.
Dec 22, 2022 9:47 AM
Apr 2021
Im sorry i cant read that 🗿
Maybe if you spaced it or added rows of emojis to make it look less text i would but like. Try to make it more compiled next time
Dec 22, 2022 10:02 AM
Oct 2022
idk what to say but i want to reply
Dec 22, 2022 10:34 AM
Jul 2022
(o.0)
sorry, dude. Didn’t read all that. We're supposed to enjoy the anime & comedy drama, what's so ever.
Man, you’re seriously diving deep into it.

Anyway, you have my respect for writing down such a big essay 🥴 Right now, I don’t have that much time or patience to read through all that. So, bye bye (>.<)
Dec 22, 2022 10:36 AM
Jul 2022
maybe he created the MAL account just to post this writing 👀
Dec 22, 2022 11:58 AM

Apr 2021
sorry but I am not reading all that
Dec 22, 2022 2:10 PM

Feb 2010
She's just autistic like her dad and there's nothing wrong in that
Dec 22, 2022 3:56 PM

Nov 2019
If you try shitposting, at least put some confidence into your writing. This shit isn't funny, nor imaginative, let alone persuasive.
SgtBateManDec 22, 2022 7:37 PM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Dec 22, 2022 5:42 PM
Jan 2021
epidemia78 said:
Swagernator said:

yeah she's got a bad case of animegirlitis

Called being attractive 🤌
Dec 22, 2022 9:34 PM
Oct 2018
A lot of the comment replies are ragging on this post for being too wordy but your thinking is well-explained overall however honestly, I don't really agree with it. The diagnosis I think Komi would be more fitting of is probably Generalized Anxiety Disorder with a strong indication of social scenarios being a leading trigger for anxiety. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy would help her in processing her anxiety triggers and learn coping mechanisms for sure but she definitely doesn't show enough depressive tendencies to warrant an anti-depressant prescription considering that the side effects would probably do her situation more harm than they could help. Clonozapam taken as-needed could be used for bringing down the intensity of panic attacks but she definitely doesn't need the mood stabilization of stronger medications like Xanax either considering that she is a teenager and thus is naturally prone to mood-swings which she'll likely grow out of. It's still an anime and those are always dramatized for the plot anyway. I'm only a psychiatric student and yet while I see where you're coming from for a lot of it, the medication side of your explanation needs further understanding of the long terms effects involved in these prescriptions, especially if you'd want a teenager to take them.
Dec 22, 2022 11:58 PM

Jul 2015
I love the universal approach of solving every problem with drugs instead of character development.

Dec 23, 2022 12:48 AM
Dec 2022
The reason people are diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder is that there is no clear trigger for the anxiety.
The patient experiences generalized and persistent anxiety that is not limited to specific environmental conditions. The content of the anxiety is often unfounded worries and fears of future misfortunes or illnesses affecting the sufferer himself or relatives, as well as a large number of other worries and premonitions.
In addition, those who suffer from generalized anxiety disorder usually seek medical care because of their physical complaints. The trigger for Komi's anxiety, on the other hand, is very clear and her self-critical behavior as well as the fear of being judged by someone else does not speak for a generalized anxiety disorder.
As for the antidepressants, I agree with you, as I said in my post, they would not be beneficial because they probably do a lot of harm.
As for treatment with benzodiazepines, I think your approach with clonazepam is good and I would recommend the same if you see progress in her behavior. Meaning that she is able to talk to others. As for Alprazolam (Xanax), which is a weaker benzodiazepine, I stand by my suggestion. Your argument that she suffers from mood swings is valid because of her age, but if you look at Komi's father who has very similar symptoms, it is clear that Komi's condition could remain like this for years, so a drug that provides a more stable mood initially would be justified.
As for the long-term effect because of the medication, you may have misunderstood me. Of course, I would not treat Komi with benzodiazepines for more than a few weeks and then slowly temper down, as they are extremely addictive regardless of age. I would just want to show her what it could look like and motivate her to take the first steps, especially in the beginning.
I think you have a lot of fear of addiction which I don't want to deny at all, but it often happens when patients with generalized anxiety disorder visit doctors because of their nervousness and somatic complaints in order to be treated for that. In this case, benzodiazepines are often mistakenly prescribed to relieve the nervousness. Then there are rapid habituation effects and, as mentioned, benzodiazepines also quickly produce dependence which is why an addiction would start.
Heliogale said:
A lot of the comment replies are ragging on this post for being too wordy but your thinking is well-explained overall however honestly, I don't really agree with it. The diagnosis I think Komi would be more fitting of is probably Generalized Anxiety Disorder with a strong indication of social scenarios being a leading trigger for anxiety. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy would help her in processing her anxiety triggers and learn coping mechanisms for sure but she definitely doesn't show enough depressive tendencies to warrant an anti-depressant prescription considering that the side effects would probably do her situation more harm than they could help. Clonozapam taken as-needed could be used for bringing down the intensity of panic attacks but she definitely doesn't need the mood stabilization of stronger medications like Xanax either considering that she is a teenager and thus is naturally prone to mood-swings which she'll likely grow out of. It's still an anime and those are always dramatized for the plot anyway. I'm only a psychiatric student and yet while I see where you're coming from for a lot of it, the medication side of your explanation needs further understanding of the long terms effects involved in these prescriptions, especially if you'd want a teenager to take them.
Dec 23, 2022 6:30 AM
Feb 2022
she is a cute girl that cant talk that is it
Dec 23, 2022 7:01 AM
Aug 2021
PsychVstar said:
Do not read this if you do not want to read something that may take some while!!!
Also, I am doing this because I am very interested in Psychotherapy and thought this would be fun and not because i am some creepy, over analyzing fan. This post is meant as a training for myself.

In the following I will diagnose Komi medically, as a psychiatrist/psychotherapist would, and describe what successful therapy would look like for her.

I am not a psychiatrist/psychotherapist, so no one should take this diagnosis seriously, let alone apply it to themselves if they have symptoms like Komi. If any of the Symptoms sound familiar please seek professional help.

I do not even have to start from scratch for the diagnose, as the Anime already alludes several times to the illness Komi suffers from: social anxiety disorder.
Symptoms that are shown in the series and speak for a social anxiety disorder would be symptoms like blushing (erythrophobia), trembling, heart palpitations, sweating, shortness of breath, speech inhibition and frequent slips of the tongue (when she tries to speak).
Although Komi seems to have a very pronounced anxiety disorder (unable to talk to someone when they look at her/ are close to her, even with family members, and very pronounced symptoms) it is remarkable that she does not isolate herself completely socially. Of course, she only does not because she is a fictional character and the anime/manga couldn't attract a wide audience otherwise. Instead of withdrawing, Komi tries to communicate with her outside world through writing, which is accepted because of her physical appearance in the anime. If she was not physically attractive for her classmates, she would hardly be able to get anyone to take her seriously. A big motivational help for her to communicate with her surrounding is of course her goal (to make 100 friends), the will and the power to change something about herself that makes her feel miserable and her two best friends Tadano Hitohito and Osana Najimi who support Komi achieving her goal.
Of course, this support is not enough for such a pronounced social anxiety disorder, which is why a therapy supported by medication would make sense.
I think cognitive behavioral therapy would be the most effective psychotherapeutic treatment. Affected people review and change their negative evaluation patterns and basic beliefs. At the same time, they learn to take risks and to deal with possible mistakes and rejection. Claims to perfection are questioned, and self-acceptance and independence from the opinions of others are strengthened. In my opinion, this therapy would also be very helpful because Komi shows positive tendencies in changing her behavior (Goal,Friends). A therapist could be a great help in counseling for next steps and would also be a good companion or emotional support.
Possible medications to support the therapy would be the antidepressants that are often used when someone has social anxiety disorder, such as SSRIs (Escitalopram, Paroxetine, Sertraline) and MAOs (Phenelzine). It should be noted, however, that Phenelzine, although it shows almost the best results, causes a strong weight gain, which could cause problems when it comes to communication, because Komi's communication is only accepted because of her physical appearance. Assuming phenelzine doesn't work for her, but she gains weight, it takes away a lot of opportunity. Also, SSRIs and MAOs take weeks or months to start working.  Therefore I think benzodiazepines would be more affective. Unlike antidepressants, these drugs do not take effect after weeks or even months, but a few minutes after ingestion. In addition, benzodiazepines generally have a comparably favorable side-effect and interaction profile, but always carry the risk of abuse. However, I consider this risk to be low in Komi's case as there are no signs of addiction in her or her family's history, at least as far as I know. Similar to antidepressants, benzodiazepines are available in a wide range of active substances, whereby several substances may have to be tested on individual patients until a suitable benzodiazepine is found. Half-life and duration are also taken into account in the selection process. In my opinion, benzodiazepines with a fast onset of action would be appropriate for Komi, as it seems to me that she has panic attacks frequently in the anime. Specifically, that would be Alprazolam (Xanax) 0.5mg twice a day or 1mg Clonazepam once a day.

This concludes what I wanted to say in this post. After finishing this "essay" I realized that my diagnose is not really completed I would say. At least that is how it feels like. So maybe add something if you want to or think something should be done differently.

I want to remind you guys again I am no psychiatrist or psychotherapist so do not take anything I said seriously.

Furthermore English is not my first language so please forgive me for my grammar and language mistakes.

Bye and have a great day!

I really don't know anything about psychiatry so I can't give you another perspective of what you told or complement it, but I believe that as you say Komi's appearance give her more opportunities to relate with others, all her classmates want to talk to her and support her for her appearance, so if she was more "average", she wouldn't have that "advantage".

pd: English isn't my first language and your text was incredible, it has everything well described and it really easy to understand what you wrote.
Jan 4, 2023 10:13 PM
Sep 2020
this guy just made a case study on an anime character.
Jan 4, 2023 10:27 PM

Jan 2022
Man I feel bad. I want you to know that I appreciate the high effort post but like...come on. Can i get a TLDR?
-insert NGE meme here-

More topics from this board

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

NextUniverse - Oct 6, 2021

362 by Blob__ »»
May 30, 4:05 PM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2021

96 by Grimenio »»
May 26, 3:17 AM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2021

175 by tinykoo7 »»
May 22, 6:18 AM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2021

115 by JVskunkape »»
May 20, 6:01 AM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2021

90 by JVskunkape »»
May 20, 5:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.