Forum Settings
Forums

What is the correct way to watch the Bakemonogatari series?

New
Sep 14, 2022 6:27 AM
Jun 2021
Hey everyone, I recently started watching Bakemonogatari and after a while I discovered that there were prequels to it that were made after the show actually released. Should I stop watching Bakemonogatari and watch those prequels first, or watch them at a specific time later?

Sep 14, 2022 6:31 AM

Sep 2020
You can just follow the release order, but you also can watch Kizumonogatari anytime because it's a prequel.(to Bakemonogatari)
Sep 14, 2022 6:34 AM
Aug 2021
> Rudeus pfp

understandable.

————

continue Bakemonogatari, btw.
Sep 14, 2022 6:37 AM

Jul 2021
The correct and best way to watch it is in Japanese but without subtitles. A lot of meaning is lost in the english translation. For the full experience learn Japanese and then watch it. Even better learn to read Japanese and then read the LNs, the experience is tons better than watching the anime or so I've been told. It will spare you the trouble of getting a new spacebar too.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Sep 14, 2022 6:39 AM

Sep 2018
The way I watched (and rewatched) it was Bakemonogatari (the first to be released) -> Kizumonogatari (the first chronologically) -> continue in chronological order, and it worked amazingly both times.

There is no correct way to watch it, but watching it this way gives you the background you need with Bake (which is meant to be watched first), and then by going back to Kizu you won't miss any details on future seasons and everything will make perfect sense. All my friends watched it in this order aswell, and it worked great for all of them.

So yeah, my recommendation would be to watch Bake, then go back to Kizu and watch it chronologically from there. I hope you enjoy it!
DeaneSep 14, 2022 6:47 AM
Sep 14, 2022 6:42 AM

Sep 2010
Whatever this guide says but it doesn't really matter.

Sep 14, 2022 6:43 AM
Jun 2021
Thanks a bunch, really appreciate the answer.
Sep 14, 2022 6:48 AM
Jun 2021
Stacias said:
> Rudeus pfp

understandable.

————

continue Bakemonogatari, btw.
What can I say other than he's a gigachad xD
Sep 14, 2022 6:56 AM

Mar 2022
Plenty of watching order guides out there including in the Monogatari wiki. Learn and master Japanese If you want to be truly correct.
THE JAPANESE SHOULD STICK TO MAKING CARS AND ANIME - GARY K. JOHNSON

Sep 14, 2022 8:16 AM
Jul 2018
Watch it in released order first and then in a year or two, watch it in chronological order for a new experience.
Sep 14, 2022 10:18 AM

Feb 2018
With your little sister sitting in your lap of course.
Sep 14, 2022 10:48 AM

Dec 2018
Start with Katanagatari. Trust me on this one πŸ˜‰
Sep 14, 2022 10:49 AM

May 2021
Follow the LN release order since I believe that's the way the author intended for the story to be shown to the consumer.

Sep 14, 2022 10:50 AM

Nov 2021
Correct way to watch is don’t watch it instead watch something good like rent a girlfriend
Sep 14, 2022 10:51 AM
Sep 14, 2022 10:52 AM

Oct 2018
Watch the anime release order, that's how it was released and that's how people should watch it.

And I prefer watching Kizumonogatari as it was released as well, because when it was released, as one of the last parts, you're going to understand how 2 characters got together and at that point you'll already be attached to those characters, making this part even better.
Keep in mind that light novels and anime are two different things, it's really hard for people to understand it.
PhosphophyllitaSep 14, 2022 11:15 AM
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Sep 14, 2022 10:57 AM

Jun 2022
The watchorder I most commonly see and personaly follow is Bake>Kizu>Nise>Neko: Kuro>Second season first half>Hana>Rest of second season>Tsuki>Koyomi>Owari S1 and S2 and finally Zoku Owari
Sep 14, 2022 11:05 AM

Apr 2015
The correct way to watch Bakemonogatari is to go to your PC and unplug the power cable.
Sep 14, 2022 11:11 AM

Aug 2016
No, you started at the right place with Bakemonogatari. The series intentionally tells the story out of chronological order, with later arcs acting as flashbacks / prequels etc. The best way is to follow the order the original light novels were released in, which is slightly different to the anime release order due to delays etc.

The Light Novel order is

- Bakemonogatari
- Kizumonogatari (3 movies)
- Nisemonogatari
- Nekomonogatari: Kuro
- Monogatari Second Season (the novels were released in "seasons" with everything prior to this one all falling under the 1st season, this doesn't mean it is the 2nd one to watch)
- Hanamonogatari (either watch it after 2nd season, or in between, after ep 10, which is when the light novel for this arc was released)
- Tsukimongatari
- Koyomimonogatari
- Owarimonogatari S1 & S2
- Zoku Owarimonogatari

There are more light novels after that as well, but this is currently everything that has been adapted into anime.
Sep 14, 2022 11:30 AM

May 2014
chronological order guides only exist for if you wanna spice up your rewatch, no one benefits from watching something for the first time in some convoluted "correct order".

just watch stuff in release order
Sep 14, 2022 1:06 PM

Jun 2022
Go in light novel order. Release order isn't the best because of production delays.
hee-ho!
Sep 14, 2022 1:48 PM
Feb 2017
Deane said:

There is no correct way to watch it, but watching it this way gives you the background you need with Bake (which is meant to be watched first), and then by going back to Kizu you won't miss any details on future seasons and everything will make perfect sense. All my friends watched it in this order aswell, and it worked great for all of them.

Objectively false. The correct way is how the author intended it, which is Light Novel Order. Anime release was only a result of production and scheduling issues, nothing by else.

Phosphophyllita said:
Watch the anime release order, that's how it was released and that's how people should watch it.

And I prefer watching Kizumonogatari as it was released as well, because when it was released, as one of the last parts, you're going to understand how 2 characters got together and at that point you'll already be attached to those characters, making this part even better.
Keep in mind that light novels and anime are two different things, it's really hard for people to understand it.

The argument “light novels and anime are different” is a terrible take. They are both based on the same material, and the character and story writing are not different. If anything, the anime WORSENS the experience because it messes with the author’s set up of mystery and pay off since they just messed up the production of the series.

@Movadoxx Light Novel Order is the correct order as it follows the intended way the author wrote the story in. Anime release is the result of production and scheduling issues (Kizu being delayed for 5 years, Hana not fitting into a 26 episode time slot, Koyomimonogatari being released through an app) and only exists to hinder the writing of the series.

MegaStrideSep 14, 2022 1:52 PM
Sep 14, 2022 2:32 PM

Sep 2018
MegaStride said:
Deane said:

Objectively false. The correct way is how the author intended it, which is Light Novel Order. Anime release was only a result of production and scheduling issues, nothing by else.

Phosphophyllita said:

The argument “light novels and anime are different” is a terrible take. They are both based on the same material, and the character and story writing are not different. If anything, the anime WORSENS the experience because it messes with the author’s set up of mystery and pay off since they just messed up the production of the series.

@Movadoxx Light Novel Order is the correct order as it follows the intended way the author wrote the story in. Anime release is the result of production and scheduling issues (Kizu being delayed for 5 years, Hana not fitting into a 26 episode time slot, Koyomimonogatari being released through an app) and only exists to hinder the writing of the series.

NISIOISIN has never explicitly said which watch order is the "correct" one, and he probably doesn't care. In fact, here's an excerpt from the Kizumonogatari afterword:

"This book consists of "Koyomi Vamp," the story of Koyomi Araragi, the narrator of my previous work BAKEMONOGATARI. Though I called it my previous work, I don't mind at all if you read this one first. In fact, chronologically speaking, this one comes first, so I dare say the KIZUMONOGATARI-first order is just as legit as the opposite order." @Movadoxx

So no, what I said wasn't objectively false. NISIOISIN has said multiple times that he created these stories for fun and not as a job, so as long as we enjoy them, he couldn't ask for anything more. To hammer this point home, here's another quote from the Kizumonogatari afterword:

"Of course, if you do find the MONOGATARI series, which I have written so exhaustively I feel there's nothing left I could possibly add, to be even the least bit entertaining, then there is no greater joy for me."

So why not just enjoy it? After all, the author only cares that people enjoy his stories, regardless of the order they're experienced in.
DeaneSep 14, 2022 2:44 PM
Sep 14, 2022 2:51 PM
Jul 2021
The correct way, you ask? Simple, don't, don't waste your time/energies on this mess of a show.

The story is a mess, the characters are unlikeable, one of them, Koyomin, yes this is how another characters later on calls the MC. is a

There are much better supernatural theme anime out there for you to watch.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🀣🀣🀣
Sep 14, 2022 3:18 PM

Oct 2018
MegaStride said:
Deane said:

Phosphophyllita said:

Hmm, nope. It's not a terrible take, but as I said you're probably not ready to accept reality. Try again in the future.

Sep 14, 2022 4:35 PM
Feb 2017
Deane said:
MegaStride said:

NISIOISIN has never explicitly said which watch order is the "correct" one, and he probably doesn't care. In fact, here's an excerpt from the Kizumonogatari afterword:

"This book consists of "Koyomi Vamp," the story of Koyomi Araragi, the narrator of my previous work BAKEMONOGATARI. Though I called it my previous work, I don't mind at all if you read this one first. In fact, chronologically speaking, this one comes first, so I dare say the KIZUMONOGATARI-first order is just as legit as the opposite order." @Movadoxx

So no, what I said wasn't objectively false. NISIOISIN has said multiple times that he created these stories for fun and not as a job, so as long as we enjoy them, he couldn't ask for anything more. To hammer this point home, here's another quote from the Kizumonogatari afterword:

"Of course, if you do find the MONOGATARI series, which I have written so exhaustively I feel there's nothing left I could possibly add, to be even the least bit entertaining, then there is no greater joy for me."

So why not just enjoy it? After all, the author only cares that people enjoy his stories, regardless of the order they're experienced in.

That’s cool, but doesn’t change the fact that the author wrote the story in its specific way because it allows for character arcs, mysteries, and pay off to occur. Do you know what happens when you release it out of order? It messes with it. Further more when the studio that released the entire series didn’t do it for any kind of “artistic integrity”, but rather scheduling and production issues. As such, release order isn’t an order that should be promoted. Furthermore, it makes 0 sense to even tell people to watch it in release order.

“Hey first time watcher, which order would you like to experience?:

1. The order the author wrote it in to keep the mystery, character arcs, and developments intact

or

2. The order that messes with the author’s writing because it was released sporadically with no intention of enhancing the original work”

Phosphophyllita said:
MegaStride said:

Hmm, nope. It's not a terrible take, but as I said you're probably not ready to accept reality. Try again in the future.

Don’t worry, looking at your bio it seems you already are in a different reality! For someone who says it’s difficult for people to understand things, you have a hard time understanding that the anime messes with the writing. Oh the irony.
MegaStrideSep 14, 2022 4:38 PM
Sep 14, 2022 4:39 PM

Oct 2018
MegaStride said:
Deane said:

That’s cool, but doesn’t change the fact that the author wrote the story in its specific way because it allows for character arcs, mysteries, and pay off to occur. Do you know what happens when you release it out of order? It messes with it. Further more when the studio that released the entire series didn’t do it for any kind of “artistic integrity”, but rather scheduling and production issues. As such, release order isn’t an order that should be promoted. Furthermore, it makes 0 sense to even tell people to watch it in release order.

1. The order the author wrote it in to keep the mystery, character arcs, and developments intact

or

2. The order that messes with the author’s writing because it was released sporadically with no intention of enhancing the original work”

Phosphophyllita said:

Don’t worry, looking at your bio it seems you already are in a different reality! For someone who says it’s difficult for people to understand things, you have a hard time understanding the anime messes with the writing.

Yep, sure. I'm the one who can't separate things here. If the anime messed up with the writing, it's the anime's fault and it doesn't affect the original source.
Have a nice day, my friend and now respect my signature.

Sep 14, 2022 4:43 PM
Feb 2017
Phosphophyllita said:
If the anime messed up with the writing, it's the anime's fault and it doesn't affect the original source.

WOW I’m actually proud of you for figuring that out. Glad you could finally understand it.
Sep 14, 2022 8:05 PM

Feb 2021
I'd say just stick to release date order. It's less confusing that way.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Sep 15, 2022 3:01 AM

Oct 2010
the correct way is not to watch it
go to youtube and search for toothbrush scene, your welcome
Sep 15, 2022 3:20 AM

Sep 2019
I watched the show in chronological order, and it was a pleasant experience.

The order is as follows:
Kizumonogatari
Nekomonogatari: Kuro
Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Tsukimonogatari
Owarimonogatari
Owarimonogatari 2nd Season
Zoku Owarimonogatari
Hanamonogatari
Koyomimonogatari

Although you can watch in release date order, the overall experience should not be significantly different.
GG-WPSep 15, 2022 3:27 AM
Sep 15, 2022 3:34 AM

May 2021
MegaStride said:
Deane said:

Phosphophyllita said:

Follow what this dude have said. The reason why you shouldn't watch Kizu first is because it destroys the mystery of Shinobu's precense and Hanekawa's character in Bake, and the reason why Kizu HAVE to be watched after Bake and not the release order is for understanding Shinobu's character (necessary for Second Season too) and Araragi's savior complex a long the story.

Sep 15, 2022 3:41 AM

Sep 2018
MegaStride said:
Deane said:

or

I never once advocated for the anime release order in particular. The order I recommended was Bake, then chronologically starting from Kizu. I recommend you re-read both my replies.
DeaneSep 15, 2022 3:45 AM
Sep 22, 2022 12:21 PM
Feb 2017
GG-WP said:

The order is as follows:
Kizumonogatari
Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Tsukimonogatari
Owarimonogatari
Zoku Owarimonogatari
Hanamonogatari
Koyomimonogatari

Although you can watch in release date order, the overall experience should not be significantly different.

Wtf is this. For starters, NEVER first time watch chronological order that ruins the entire series. Second, this isn’t even chronological order πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

Deane said:

I never once advocated for the anime release order in particular. The order I recommended was Bake, then chronologically starting from Kizu. I recommend you re-read both my replies.

Or, and hear me out, follow the order the author wrote? Almost like the author writes story arcs and character development in a specific way to make the payoff work. Your order is objectively wrong in every way, sorry not sorry.
MegaStrideSep 22, 2022 12:28 PM
Sep 22, 2022 2:14 PM

Sep 2018
MegaStride said:
GG-WP said:

The order is as follows:
Kizumonogatari
Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Tsukimonogatari
Owarimonogatari
Zoku Owarimonogatari
Hanamonogatari
Koyomimonogatari

Wtf is this. For starters, NEVER first time watch chronological order that ruins the entire series. Second, this isn’t even chronological order πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€

Deane said:

Or, and hear me out, follow the order the author wrote? Almost like the author writes story arcs and character development in a specific way to make the payoff work. Your order is objectively wrong in every way, sorry not sorry.

Except the author has said that reading Kizumonogatari first is just as valid. That automatically disregards your argument that it HAS to be in the specific order he wrote the stories in. End of story.

Stop pretending to care about the author's intentions while ignoring his statements.
Sep 22, 2022 3:04 PM
Feb 2017
Deane said:
MegaStride said:

Except the author has said that reading Kizumonogatari first is just as valid. That automatically disregards your argument that it HAS to be in the specific order he wrote the stories in. End of story.

Stop pretending to care about the author's intentions while ignoring his statements.

Like I’ve said before, just because he said it for that specific one doesn’t mean EVERYTHING needs to be out of order. He said to simply because there are those who haven’t seen the series yet and if they’re anted to watch the film, they could watch it without it impacting the overall story since it’s a prequel. Any other silly comments?
Sep 22, 2022 3:21 PM

Oct 2013
I honestly forgot what order I watched in...Then again with all the dialog, I've pretty much forgotten most of the series in general. Seriously, the only anime I had a harder time keeping up with was Occultic;Nine. All I can say is, I wish you luck on your journey.

More topics from this board

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 )

Anjuro - Yesterday

58 by DarkShame2 »»
3 minutes ago

» Which one of your favorite anime would you not recommend to others?

Gashadokur0 - 49 minutes ago

7 by luisfunes99 »»
8 minutes ago

» HELP ME FIND THIS ANIME (please)

sussyamongus - 14 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
11 minutes ago

» Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard

removed-user - Jun 2

47 by Lhundrup »»
12 minutes ago

» Favorite Sports Anime ?

tchitchouan - May 25

37 by WatchTillTandava »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.