Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 30, 2022 9:46 AM
Aug 2021
I've never watched any Gundam anime in my life, but the one that will launch in October made me curious about a female character to be the protagonist of a mecha anime

Can you tell me if I can watch this anime without having seen anything from the Gundam series?
Aug 30, 2022 9:50 AM

Nov 2021
Yes, you'll be fine. It takes place in a completely different timeline than other entries.
Aug 30, 2022 9:50 AM

Jun 2016
Yes you can watch this series without any prior gundam experience.
Also try Patlabor and Gunbuster if you're interested in female mecha protagonists.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 30, 2022 9:51 AM

Jan 2009
yep this is another AU Gundam or Alternate Universe Gundam
Aug 30, 2022 12:33 PM

Jun 2022
The newest series is a totally different timeline that has nothing to do with the rest and has its own lore buttttt if you REALLY want to watch the entire franchise in order I can give you the chronigical order
Aug 30, 2022 12:40 PM
Jun 2020
Recently been on a Gundam binge myself, I’m currently taking a break at the early 90’s. It’s an amazing series that I definitely recommend watching. This new series is a totally separate canon and so far is looking pretty good. It’s up to you if you want this to be your first or not.
Aug 30, 2022 4:20 PM
Apr 2022
It’s a new timeline, so just sit back and enjoy Gundam goodness.
Aug 30, 2022 4:41 PM

Oct 2015
The others above have answered your question~

There are 3 type of timelines in Gundam:

1) Universal Century. This is the main timeline and the big one. It focuses on educating the younger generation about the horrors of war and conflicts must be avoided at all costs.
For UC Gundam, you need to watch them in chronological order:
Gundam The Origins
Gundam 0079
Gundam 08th MS Team
Gundam War In The Pocket
Gundam Thunderbolt
Gundam Char Deleted Affair (manga)
Gundam Stardust Memory
Gundam Zeta
Gundam ZZ
Gundam Char Counterattack
Gundam Unicorn
Gundam NT
Gundam Twilight Axis
Gundam Hathaway Flash
Gundam F91
Gundam Crossbone (manga)
Gundam Victory
Turn A Gundam (watch G Gundam, Gundam Wing, After War Gundam X before starting this, there are references from those AU Gundam anime)
Gundam G-Reco

2) Alternate Universe. These are alternate timelines that tries to do something else. Some of them still has UC Gundam’s core messages, such as ‘Can there ever be true peace?’ or ‘Don’t let your soul weighed down by gravity, keep your head high, look up to the stars and continue to move forward’. Some of them has other messages.
You can watch them without prior knowledge in Gundam, just be careful of sequels.
Mobile Fighter: G Gundam (no sequels)
Gundam Wing -> Endless Waltz
After War Gundam X (no sequels)
Gundam SEED -> SEED Destiny (has side stories, I enjoyed SEED Stargazer more than the main series)
Gundam 00 -> Awakening Of The Trailblazer
Gundam AGE (no sequels)
Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans (no sequels but going to have a new side story)

3) Gunpla commercials (Build Fighters and Build Divers). They don’t focus on the Gundam messages, they are just Gunpla commercials. Still fun to watch though. My advice is to watch until AGE before starting these.

Another note is Gundam is a war story, not giant robots blowing shit up rainbow style. If you need guidance to go into Gundam. Feel free to PM me, I will share you a link to a Discord Channel with Gundam fans~

EDIT: More information added on UC and AU.
NewestPersonHereAug 30, 2022 8:54 PM
Aug 30, 2022 4:43 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Yes you can TOTALLY watch this Gundam series as a complete newcomer to the series without having to watch any of the series prior to this one, don't worry :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Aug 30, 2022 8:16 PM
Dec 2021
Odin_seeker361 said:
The newest series is a totally different timeline that has nothing to do with the rest and has its own lore buttttt if you REALLY want to watch the entire franchise in order I can give you the chronigical order

I want to watch this seri, so please guide me!
Aug 31, 2022 12:20 AM
Nov 2020
You good because Suisei no Majo is from same different timeline AU the A.S timeline (Ad Stella)
Aug 31, 2022 10:20 AM
Jan 2021
AskaCorithiana95 said:
I've never watched any Gundam anime in my life, but the one that will launch in October made me curious about a female character to be the protagonist of a mecha anime

Can you tell me if I can watch this anime without having seen anything from the Gundam series?

Certainly not the first time a Mecha series included a Female protagonist. though it’s just a first for the Gundam franchise
Aug 31, 2022 5:12 PM

Oct 2015
DesertBornBoy said:
AskaCorithiana95 said:

Certainly not the first time a Mecha series included a Female protagonist. though it’s just a first for the Gundam franchise

First female protagonist in Gundam anime*

There are two Gundam novels with female protagonists.

Recently, there is a Gundam manga with female protagonist. That manga is very dark. Pilots being burned alive~
Sep 2, 2022 12:00 PM

Apr 2014
NewestPersonHere said:

1) Universal Century. This is the main timeline and the big one. It focuses on educating the younger generation about the horrors of war and conflicts must be avoided at all costs.

Do you really recommend a beginner watching every UC Gundam in chronological order? I've been watching in production order with a few OVAs between and honestly I'm so glad I didn't watch The Origin before the original or Stardust Memory before Zeta. Finding out Char's motivations through MSG and then exploring it more in-depth with The Origin sounds way more enjoyable than if I did it the other way around. And imo Stardust Memory is mediocre, but I loved how Zeta threw curveballs at the audience and slowly filled in information about the Titans and the gap between MSG and Zeta.

Plus...does anybody really have time for all of those extra things?

Anyways, OP, you can start with Witch From Mercury. There's a prologue out now on Youtube that gives some background context.
Sep 2, 2022 12:39 PM

Jun 2016
ChangeLeopardon said:
NewestPersonHere said:

Do you really recommend a beginner watching every UC Gundam in chronological order? I've been watching in production order with a few OVAs between and honestly I'm so glad I didn't watch The Origin before the original or Stardust Memory before Zeta. Finding out Char's motivations through MSG and then exploring it more in-depth with The Origin sounds way more enjoyable than if I did it the other way around. And imo Stardust Memory is mediocre, but I loved how Zeta threw curveballs at the audience and slowly filled in information about the Titans and the gap between MSG and Zeta.

Plus...does anybody really have time for all of those extra things?

I will add that watching them in chronological order is also worse from an aesthetic standpoint due to the changes in style and era in every series.
Going from an expensive looking 2010s OVA with CGI to a 70s TV series with known production issues is weird. Although I believe that the Origin OVA did an excellent job at translating YAS's style to digital animation. Most have failed spectacularly.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 2, 2022 12:56 PM

Feb 2015
NewestPersonHere said:

Gundam The Origins
Gundam 0079
Gundam 08th MS Team
Gundam War In The Pocket
Gundam Thunderbolt
Gundam Stardust Memory
Gundam Zeta
Gundam ZZ
Gundam Unicorn
Gundam NT
Gundam Twilight Axis
Gundam Hathaway Flash
Gundam F91
Gundam Crossbone (manga)
Gundam Victory
Turn A Gundam (watch G Gundam, Gundam Wing, After War Gundam X before starting this, there are references from those AU Gundam anime)
Gundam G-Reco

This is total bullshit, you're just making it more complicated for newcomers than it really is. I think you're actually trolling since you're even including Twlight Axis (which was nothing more than a commercial for a Light Novel). If anything, watching in release order makes much more sense than watching in chronological order. Why do you need to watch 8th MS Team, War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, Thunderbolt, etc, to understand the rest? They're just side stories. And The Origin isn't even canon, as far as I know.

Sep 2, 2022 1:24 PM

Apr 2014
AshitaNoJonas said:
NewestPersonHere said:

Gundam The Origins
Gundam 0079
Gundam 08th MS Team
Gundam War In The Pocket
Gundam Thunderbolt
Gundam Stardust Memory
Gundam Zeta
Gundam ZZ
Gundam Unicorn
Gundam NT
Gundam Twilight Axis
Gundam Hathaway Flash
Gundam F91
Gundam Crossbone (manga)
Gundam Victory
Gundam G-Reco

This is total bullshit, you're just making it more complicated for newcomers than it really is. I think you're actually trolling since you're even including Twlight Axis (which was nothing more than a commercial for a Light Novel). If anything, watching in release order makes much more sense than watching in chronological order. Why do you need to watch 8th MS Team, War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, Thunderbolt, etc, to understand the rest? They're just side stories. And The Origin isn't even canon, as far as I know.

Origin is non-canon because it's adapted straight from the Gundam: The Origin manga, which is a re-telling of the original series. The OVA adapts the prequel section, which was added in the retelling. Cucuruz Doan's Island is also based on the manga timeline as well.

On that note, Thunderbolt is non-canon as well.
Sep 2, 2022 4:30 PM

Oct 2015
AshitaNoJonas said:
NewestPersonHere said:

Gundam The Origins
Gundam 0079
Gundam 08th MS Team
Gundam War In The Pocket
Gundam Thunderbolt
Gundam Stardust Memory
Gundam Zeta
Gundam ZZ
Gundam Unicorn
Gundam NT
Gundam Twilight Axis
Gundam Hathaway Flash
Gundam F91
Gundam Crossbone (manga)
Gundam Victory
Gundam G-Reco

I did not mention about requiring OVAs to understand the rest. They can skip OVAs if they want to.

Yeah, people can start from the original and goes to Zeta without any issue.

I just throw the OVAs in there in case people asks about them~

Well, Unicorn is adapted from a novel but I still highly recommend people to check it out. Some of the OVAs are also great to watch as it shows more about the war drama.

Regarding the discussion on chronological order or production order to watch, there is no correct answer to it. Some people prefers chronological order, some prefers production order. Both works fine. The most important part is that they watch the main UC story in order:
Gundam 0079
Gundam Zeta
Gundam ZZ
Gundam CCA
Gundam F91
Gundam Crossbone
Gundam Victory
The rest can be watched in any order as they are add-on.
Sep 2, 2022 9:55 PM

Jun 2020
Theo1899 said:
Also try Patlabor and Gunbuster if you're interested in female mecha protagonists.

Loved Gunbuster. Which Patlabor series should I watch ?
Sep 3, 2022 10:11 PM
Jan 2021
NewestPersonHere said:
DesertBornBoy said:

First female protagonist in Gundam anime*

There are two Gundam novels with female protagonists.

Recently, there is a Gundam manga with female protagonist. That manga is very dark. Pilots being burned alive~

Already reading Despair “Gundam Memory Sequel” but this one was announced after the teaser of Witch of mercury.

And already read the incomplete Ecule du ceil.

I don’t know how “Ecule du ceil” escaped my mind while typing that comment
Sep 6, 2022 3:23 AM

Jun 2016
Mr_Srijan said:
Theo1899 said:

There's the movie canon which is original OVA > Movie 1 > Movie 2
and the TV canon which is Patlabor on Television > New OVA (yes that's literally how they are called)
The movie canon is more serious, the TV canon is more comedic, both are excellent.
Movie 3 (WXIII) is kind of its own thing. It takes place in the movie canon but focuses on different characters.
Reboot is a fun short film that went nowhere.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 7, 2022 1:14 AM

Jun 2020
Theo1899 said:
Mr_Srijan said:

There's the movie canon which is original OVA > Movie 1 > Movie 2
and the TV canon which is Patlabor on Television > New OVA (yes that's literally how they are called)
The movie canon is more serious, the TV canon is more comedic, both are excellent.
Movie 3 (WXIII) is kind of its own thing. It takes place in the movie canon but focuses on different characters.
Reboot is a fun short film that went nowhere.

Oooo. Thanks. Guess I'll start with the movie canon first
Sep 12, 2022 7:34 AM
Oct 2019
Finally this will be my entry to Gundam Franchise.
Sep 17, 2022 11:43 AM

Jan 2009
Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: You can watch most Gundam shows without prior knowledge, aside from a few directly connected series, the most you'd be missing out on is crossovers.
Anyway, I say this because if you find any Gundam show interesting you can go ahead and watch it, no need to sit through the entire franchise thinking it's one big storyline.
Sep 17, 2022 1:32 PM

Mar 2021
NewestPersonHere said:
AshitaNoJonas said:

I did not mention about requiring OVAs to understand the rest. They can skip OVAs if they want to.

Yeah, people can start from the original and goes to Zeta without any issue.

I just throw the OVAs in there in case people asks about them~

Well, Unicorn is adapted from a novel but I still highly recommend people to check it out. Some of the OVAs are also great to watch as it shows more about the war drama.

Regarding the discussion on chronological order or production order to watch, there is no correct answer to it. Some people prefers chronological order, some prefers production order. Both works fine. The most important part is that they watch the main UC story in order:
Gundam 0079
Gundam Zeta
Gundam ZZ
Gundam CCA
Gundam F91
Gundam Crossbone
Gundam Victory
The rest can be watched in any order as they are add-on.

Why are people forcing crossbone and victory into UC. Victory is one of the worst gundam series to ever been made and never got referenced again outside build shows. Tomino disowned it himself. Crossbone largely has not been canonized.
Aus especially SEED are way more important to Gundam that Victory ever was.
Sep 23, 2022 7:39 PM
Feb 2019
Odin_seeker361 said:

I would like to see it 😂
Sep 23, 2022 7:42 PM

Jun 2022
dylpickles said:
Odin_seeker361 said:

I would like to see it 😂

HMMMM are you ready for the journey of Gundam?
Sep 24, 2022 11:36 AM
Feb 2019
Odin_seeker361 said:
dylpickles said:

I would like to see it 😂

HMMMM are you ready for the journey of Gundam?

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure 😂 I can let you know after this fall season depending how I feel about this new one first haha
Sep 24, 2022 12:03 PM

Nov 2020
Yes. However watching previous Gundam shows to get acquainted with the story beats and the history of mobile suits will make your experience for any Gundam show 10x better. Like playing "spot the Char clone" in every spinoff.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kidou Senshi Gundam: Suisei no Majo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2023

357 by Nuikorakabiri »»
Jun 5, 12:20 PM

» A question

Shubhamb1996 - May 24

6 by AngelaWolter »»
Jun 3, 11:05 AM

» Mobile Suit Gundam Franchise Reaches Sales Record of 145.7 Billion Yen in 2024 Fiscal Year

deg - May 12

8 by Zedlin »»
May 13, 11:03 AM

» wait a second... they're GAY????

Nyron - Feb 9

12 by RobertBobert »»
Feb 17, 11:26 AM

Poll: » Kidou Senshi Gundam: Suisei no Majo Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 25, 2022

104 by Neemesis_2 »»
Feb 13, 3:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.