Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 17, 2022 7:46 AM
Feb 2021
I got into anime when I was around 6 when my brother was watching Naruto. A few years passed and we started watching Attack on Titan which really got me into anime. It was really fun however eventually my brother moved to Canada for university :(
Feb 17, 2022 11:50 PM

Jan 2020
My parents showed me doraemon when I was a baby

Feb 18, 2022 2:30 AM

Jan 2021
I was watching a little bit of anime before this but I think when my friend showed me Death Note is when I started watching anime more regularly (it was around 2017 - 2018)
Feb 18, 2022 4:22 AM
Feb 2021
Guyovski said:
The great omnipotent Internut got me into animus.
If it weren't for my studies, I think I would have been too deep in this rabbit hole by now. Probably the only motive I will ever sincerely have for mildly tolerating school, that shit slaps you back into reality sometimes.

Lol you guys do have some interesting stories
Feb 18, 2022 7:52 AM

Mar 2011
I followed basic stuff like Digimon, Pokemon and Yugioh in elementary school. But I got like actually into it when I discovered the Adult Swim block of shows when I was in middle school, like Cowboy Bebop, InuYasha and Outlaw Star.

Cowboy Bebop was the pivotal show that made me realize how great anime was as a medium and what made me start differentiating it from other animated shows.
Feb 18, 2022 10:10 AM

Feb 2019
As my profile description says, i used to watch Naruto and Doraemon on TV when i was 7-8 years old. Eventually i learned how to use internet and started to search more anime by myself.
Feb 19, 2022 1:14 AM

Mar 2021
I'm not really sure. I guess it just looked attractive, so I decided to jump into it.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Feb 19, 2022 1:22 AM

Apr 2018
Pokemon probably. I'm not that old but I'm getting there..

Majority of people have run across some form of Japanese media they consume. Since the 80's it's been pretty normal.. People just like to pretend it's some kind of new thing when it's not. Considering that was 40 years ago now (nearly half of a century.)
My taste is trash. So is yours.
Feb 19, 2022 1:37 AM

Feb 2021
More like who. I owe it to my dad, he got me influenced at an early age alongside drawing. I think both interests complement each other perfectly well; allowing me to explore them at the same time in a shared discipline.
Feb 19, 2022 4:27 AM
Jul 2018
I would come home from school and watch anime like Sailor Moon, Pokémon, Digimon, Gundam Wing. Though I never fully got to complete any of the series all the way through due to sports practice, homework and hanging out with friends. My family had On Demand channels and there was one called Anime Block, where I watched anime like Gad Guard and Cromartie High School. The good thing was that I could watch the anime on there from start to finish. AB had Japanese music videos too, that's how I learned about Gackt, Versailles, Miyavi and Dir En Grey.

I took a break after watching some of the anime on Adult Swim. Didn't get back to it until recently, during the pandemic. Now that I have less going on in my life, I'm happy to be able to dedicate more time to shows.
Feb 19, 2022 6:15 AM

Feb 2022
My dad is a really strict father so he won't let me watch action genre when I was a kid but he let watch Yuu☆Yuu☆Hakusho because it was one of his fav anime that he watched. (I didn't know anime was a thing yet that time)
Feb 19, 2022 7:05 AM

Aug 2021
I watched Pokemon and stuff of that sort when I was younger, and it all went from there!
Feb 19, 2022 10:55 AM

Jan 2022
My family always liked some of the more popular movies like all the Studio Ghibli movies as well as stuff like Akira. I ended up watching some Naruto when I was really young and fell in love and it just went from there.
Feb 19, 2022 12:45 PM

Feb 2022
Hmm...

Well, it started with detective Conan then Hunter X Hunter.
Then, met some friends who invited me to help with translating Rurouni Kenshin.
From there, I fall in love with anime and Japanese language & culture. ^^
Feb 19, 2022 10:29 PM

Oct 2019
First, it was One Piece, which had me start watching anime with only the popular ones. Notable examples like One-Punch Man, Assassination Classroom, Kuroko no Basket, and Haikyuu!! were in my list, then I decided nope. I'm done with anime. Nothing excites me, that was me before I knew about MAL. Then I came back mainly because of JoJo. It prompted me to try others like Demon Slayer, Vinland Saga, The Promised Neverland, and Re: Zero.

Once Winter 2020 came along, I just stopped. I couldn't care about anything else anymore. Nothing was clicking. Haikyuu!! new season? Get that crap out of my face. I didn't care about anything else until Summer passed with a dumpster fire... Rent-a-Girlfriend.

The rest is history after that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 19, 2022 11:02 PM

Jul 2020
anime during 2000s are so popular back then, but it got escalated when we got wifi modem in 2016
Feb 19, 2022 11:21 PM

Mar 2018
I got into anime in 2017 because of depression and for some reason I decided to try anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 19, 2022 11:36 PM
Simp4DemonGirls

Oct 2018
I’ve always been a fan of animation in general as a medium. I first saw Star Blazers in the late 70s / early 80s. It was heavily edited & Americanized but still stood out as unlike any other “cartoons”
on tv at the time. I quickly became obsessed with it, setting my alarm to wake me up early even on summer break so I could watch it. I saw the dubbed version of the Galaxy Express 999 movie around the same time & recognized it had a similar art style. The next one to make an impression was Robotech while in high school. Again, heavily edited & Americanized but still superior story & characterizations in comparison to other shows on tv. Didn’t get into uncut anime till the 90s with shows like Project A-ko, Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo, Captain Tylor & Slayers on VHS. Got away from anime around 2010 but got back into it about 5 years ago & loving it more than ever.
OhayotakuFeb 20, 2022 12:45 AM
Feb 19, 2022 11:37 PM

Oct 2021
we were always guarded as kids whenever we watch non-anime series most esp if there are violence/nudity and whatnot and so I discovered this animax channel and ccs was the first anime (if i remember clearly) i've ever watched along with spongebob and any other cartoon network shows before and I found anime more interesting than cartoons. Got hooked as i resonate with the scenes so explored more other animes, fell in love with it and BAM!

I became idle tho for how many years bc of studies and now to ease anxiety and regain my productivity I tried to enter the anime world (lol) once again with Assassination classroom (since lots of my friends suggested it) and Haikyuu and I felt nostalgic for remembering the state of bliss when watching these and so it continues... ;)

end of story hahaha

BELIEVE you deserve it and the universe will serve it.
Feb 19, 2022 11:55 PM
Jul 2018
I watched Pokémon, it aired on a particular Philippine TV channel, kept me interested. After many years I tried trying out others because y'know there are plentiful of anime to watch, better than being stuck with only 1 franchise.
Feb 20, 2022 2:32 AM

Nov 2021
I was persuade to watch My hero Academia and i like it, so i binge the series and move on to other anime
after binging up to s3 i watched other anime since s4 was not out yet

"But with a twist ending like this,
I think we can all agree this ended up
being a very interesting mystery
"

-Poison -劇薬-
⇆ㅤ ||◁ㅤ❚❚ㅤ▷||ㅤ ↻
01:06 ━━━━⬤─────── 05:34
Feb 20, 2022 4:02 AM

Feb 2022
Like many it started with the likes of Pokemon and Sailor moon. From there it was YU-GI-OH, Digimon.........And then it went downhill from there (Snowballing)
Feb 20, 2022 11:44 AM

Dec 2021
My sister easily got me into anime she would always put on Naruto in the living room so i would always watch it with her
Feb 20, 2022 1:54 PM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
Well, have y'all ever heard of a little game called UNDERTALE? (I swear, I'm being serious)

So, it's late 2015, and UNDERTALE is really taking off so I decide to give it a go

UNDERTALE's creator/writer/music composer is Toby Fox, who also did music for the webcomic Homestuck, so I checked that out too. And one of Homestuck's music tracks (not by Fox) is "Heir of Grief", which samples the melody of a song from the game Touhou 6: the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil (which itself was sampling the melody of "Welcome to the Hall of Fame!" from the Pokémon series) and another track (by Fox this time) samples BAD Apple! from Touhou 4: Lotus Land Story (which is also sampled in UNDERTALE, actually...)

And seeing the Touhou music references in Homestuck and UNDERTALE, as well as Fox citing Touhou as one of UNDERTALE's biggest influences, lead me to check it out

Now, in addition to unfortunately (or "fortunately", depending on who you ask. I won't judge) having more hentai doujins than any other series, Touhou also has several official manga spin-offs. So I read a few of the official manga, which eventually lead me to anime as my interest in Japanese culture grew
Kogasa-TataraFeb 20, 2022 2:00 PM
My greatest contribution to this website:
Feb 20, 2022 1:54 PM

May 2021
I don't think there was anything that got me into anime, though I use to watch some stuff on Toonami in the early 2000's, like episodes of Trigun, DBZ, Cowboy Bebop & maybe a few others. I really didn't know that it was called anime back then & as the years went by I wanted to watch more anime, so I've been doing that since around this time last year.
Feb 22, 2022 2:08 AM

Sep 2020
pokemon got me into anime but i used to watch doraemon a lot before it
Feb 22, 2022 2:10 AM

Sep 2020
Tv aired a lot anime when I was little and I watched some.
Feb 22, 2022 9:03 PM
May 2021
I actually started fairly recently, It was just over a year ago in January. My friend was watching anime and I decided to get into it, the first anime I watched was Parasyte. I had seen bits and pieces of it when my sister watched it a few years ago. It's a miracle how when you first start anime you can watch like 150 episodes in a week but now I've been on one piece since August and only 160 episodes in lol
Feb 24, 2022 7:14 AM

Oct 2009
pokemon in 1998, then dragonball z in 2006

▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▄▐░░░░
▒░░░░░░▄▄▄░░▄██▄░░░
░░░░░░▐▀█▀▌░░░░▀█▄░
░░░░░░▐█▄█▌░░░░░░▀█▄
░░░░░░░▀▄▀░░░▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
░░░░░▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀░░░░░
░░░░█▀▄▄▄█░▀▀░░░░░░
░░░░▌░▄▄▄▐▌▀▀▀░░░░░
░▄░▐░░░▄▄░█░▀▀░░░░░
░▀█▌░░░▄░▀█▀░▀░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▄▄▐▌▄▄
Mar 11, 2022 8:51 AM

Aug 2018
Welcome to the MAL forums.

Candies: (2023)

Candies: (2022)
May 4, 2022 9:59 PM

Jan 2021
𝐇𝐢, 𝐖𝐞𝐥𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐌𝐀𝐋 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐮𝐦.
Aug 13, 2022 2:52 PM
Aug 2022
Hello, welcome to the forums!
Aug 14, 2022 12:39 AM

Feb 2021
One of my friends coaxed me to give Death Note and One Punch Man a shot, and the rest is history

Aug 14, 2022 12:42 AM

May 2018
Hot anime girls and fanservice

More topics from this board

» heya !!

mayoise - Jun 12

15 by Kyonman »»
52 minutes ago

» I'm fairly new

ZAIRETHEGUY - Yesterday

7 by MeguSae38 »»
Today, 12:22 AM

» Late Intro - Friends Wanted :3

yanderejay - Jun 12

10 by kiotsuga »»
Yesterday, 5:59 AM

» An introduction post 10 years late

BladeTheWolfBoy - Jun 12

9 by Jeevanandhnr »»
Yesterday, 2:38 AM

» New(ish) to MAL

Kewpr - Jun 12

6 by MeguSae38 »»
Yesterday, 12:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.