Forum Settings
Forums

Should MAL remove "Submit review after watching 25% of episodes" rule, atleast for Sequels?

New
Feb 6, 2022 8:58 PM
Mar 2020
This is sort of a rant but I think they really need to remove this rule, because I have seen way to many sequels get shit on after just 3/4 eps. One recent and popular example is Demon Slayer Yuukaku hen which is currently airing. The reviews are filled with stuff like "Nothing happened in 3 eps, please don't watch". This is just plain misinfo as the last 6 eps have been one banger after another.

Don't get me wrong, people are free to leave 2/10 reviews. But its not okay to have these reveiws reach top after only 3 eps watched. It really should be "Watch all eps" for sequels imo.

Edit : By remove rule, I meant people can only submit review after watching 100% of show. Sorry for confusion
ValhallaKombiFeb 7, 2022 10:37 AM
Feb 6, 2022 9:02 PM

Oct 2013
I would rather rise the threshold than completely delete it.
You know, to allow submitting a review after watching half (50%) of the episodes.

There is always a possibility of trolls and griefers doing their dumb work, however surely higher threshold could limit their activity, at least a little bit; entries with a lot of episodes could benefit the most from it.
Feb 6, 2022 9:05 PM

Mar 2019
Yes, MAL should remove this. And then add a new rule that makes people watch all of the show before submitting a review. For all shows, not just sequels.
AniMarterFeb 6, 2022 9:14 PM
Feb 6, 2022 10:50 PM

Aug 2019
no I dislike reviews that only cover the first few episodes even if it’s for a sequel
Feb 7, 2022 7:31 AM

Dec 2015
I would like more something similar to this ---> Only finished can make a review.
---> Do you confirm that you've finished this title/season? ----> Than take a short survey prooving that you've finished this title ---> Proceed to write a review.

In the meantime also should be a some sort of process to delete ability of reviews for bots etc. who bumps up or down some ranks x)
Feb 7, 2022 7:34 AM

Feb 2010
Submitting reviews in general should not be allowed.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 7, 2022 7:37 AM

Jul 2020
AniMarter said:
Yes, MAL should remove this. And then add a new rule that makes people watch all of the show before submitting a review. For all shows, not just sequels.

Yeah, that rule really sucks and is pointless. Would wanna hear a well thought out review than from someone who watched only 25% of the Anime.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Feb 7, 2022 7:45 AM
Apr 2018
If someone wants to write there opinions on the first couple episodes they should write in the episode discussion why waste your time writing a huge review on 1 episode lol
Feb 7, 2022 8:05 AM
Apr 2017
I'm of the opinion that a review should be of the entirety of the product you're talking about, if that can be applied. Would you consider a review of someone who left halfway through a movie or that stopped reading a book about one third of the way? No, those would be first impressions, not reviews, wouldn't they?

If anything, I'd simply make it impossible for anyone to submit a review before the show's end (with a couple of ad hoc exceptions for shows that won't ever end, thankfully there's not many of those around). It wouldn't effectively stop people from writing the same things they would have after 3 episodes but hopefully most of those attention-wh...seekers, will have grown bored of waiting and will use their time in a more productive manner.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Feb 7, 2022 8:23 AM

Oct 2019
I would be cruel and make it 75% so those elitists would be forced to watch more. 25% is wayyyy too little. Or even better, 100%
Feb 7, 2022 8:35 AM
Jul 2018
The evaluation criterion needs to be redone. Depending on the number of episodes the anime in the season has, being 12 or 24, I believe that after half the episodes available it could be evaluated
Feb 7, 2022 8:39 AM
Jul 2018
NoonDaMoon said:
I would be cruel and make it 75% so those elitists would be forced to watch more. 25% is wayyyy too little. Or even better, 100%
NoonDaMoon said:
I agree with what you said, at least half of the episodes could be available, to then make room for evaluation.
Feb 7, 2022 8:41 AM

Dec 2020
AniMarter said:

Thanks, was just about to comment this, thanks for saving me the time. Only disagreement is sequels. I believe sequels should be judged as separate installments to the parent story, rather than what came before it or after it. Otherwise there wouldn't be any distinction. Still, for those sequels, the rule should also be to watch 100% of it before submitting a review for that particular installment.
"Did you forget already? In my word the color "red" doesn't exist. These must be...my tears. Ever since I woke up from my coma...I think I've been waiting for this very moment. You'd do well to remember this, Maya. The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over."
(Ace Attorney T&T: Bridge to the Turnabout)
"I'm my worst critic." (Kendrick Lamar)
Feb 7, 2022 8:44 AM

Dec 2020
yes, cause most of them i see only shit on the current airing anime respectivley
Feb 7, 2022 8:49 AM

Apr 2019
A review isn't an opinion soap box. They should raise the limit to 100% to end this practice. 95% of all reviews don't deserve the name and are just forum rants with more prominent placement.

Feb 7, 2022 10:38 AM
Mar 2020
snowykevin said:
no I dislike reviews that only cover the first few episodes even if it’s for a sequel

Yeah sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant "Remove 25% rule and make it 100%"
Feb 7, 2022 10:40 AM
Mar 2020
G1llette said:
No, I don’t want to here some crappy thoughts after 1 episode for an anime that will still airing for at least 12 weeks

Yeah sorry for misunderstanding. I meant "remove 25% rule and make it 100%"
Feb 7, 2022 10:43 AM
Mar 2017
Kinda but the thing I would love to see apply is more something like : remove every review of an airing show when it's finished
Feb 7, 2022 10:43 AM
Aug 2020
well they reset the review order on the front page when the final episode airs, also you can just turn the early reviews off (only for you personally thought).
Feb 7, 2022 10:45 AM
Mar 2020
shign said:
Kinda but the thing I would love to see apply is more something like : remove every review of an airing show when it's finished

Thats a good idea too, because like the example I mentioned, 2 of the top reviews of currently airing demon slayer arc are all about "the eps are boring as shit, don't waste time". I would much rather want to see a 2/10 review of the full 11 eps than someone giving 2/10 after watching only 3 eps.
Feb 7, 2022 10:48 AM

Jul 2019
I literally never understand how people don't get the existent of prelim reviews.

Like seriously.

It is right fucking there.

It could not be more there.

It's genuinely incredible how some people miss the explanation.

Btw MAL did remove this rule and now it is just 3 eps regardless of what the anime is, so even One Piece can have 3 ep review and it be totally fine.
Feb 7, 2022 10:49 AM
Jul 2009
How the hell can you even review a show if you haven't even seen half of it? So no the threshold should be raised.

Feb 7, 2022 10:54 AM
Mar 2020
RedFlameHaze said:
How the hell can you even review a show if you haven't even seen half of it? So no the threshold should be raised.

Read my edit, I meant "Remove 25% rule and make it 100%/increase threshold
Feb 7, 2022 5:57 PM

Aug 2009
Unless a show has a hundred plus episodes or a OVA series spread out across a couple years I think people should have to actually watch the whole show before making a review of it.
Feb 7, 2022 6:02 PM

Aug 2020
Its...just a preliminary review. You people do know what preliminary means...right? How is this even a problem?

How about the actual problems of the site like dummy accounts???
Keep scrolling
Feb 7, 2022 6:08 PM
Dec 2020
damn, actually a good suggestion for a change in the rules
Feb 7, 2022 6:10 PM

Dec 2007
i think that the precent idea is just terrible, i reported a lot of bot reviews due this, it just should be set for number of episode if the show is still airing, like after 12 episodes, that way most of 12-13 series will have reviews only when completing, and 26 series will have halfway through reviews. it make sense.

but as other suggested, complete remove the option to review series before ending is better choice lol

More topics from this board

Poll: » A anime that mention your country? ( 1 2 )

torsan88 - Sep 17

95 by aReviewer »»
4 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - 7 hours ago

19 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
5 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

611 by WaterMage »»
6 minutes ago

» Hot take: mappa is the mcdonald's of anime studios ( 1 2 )

Deathlydash - Today

65 by CaptainKenshiro »»
8 minutes ago

» Why is netorare so hated? ( 1 2 )

Je-suis-lui - Apr 9

62 by Razecube »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.