Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 5, 2021 9:11 AM
Feb 2021
I know both of them are mecha anime but I mean gurren lagann has got any mental side or is it just epic and funny action anime? I really like eva with rebuilds and I also want to watch this show. It's opening pretty cool.
May 5, 2021 9:43 AM

Jun 2016
It's more similar to getter robo, diebuster and kill la kill than eva.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 5, 2021 10:12 AM
Feb 2021
Theo1899 said:
It's more similar to getter robo, diebuster and kill la kill than eva.
lol I didn't watch them
May 5, 2021 10:25 AM
May 2020
Evangelion is more psychological anime than Gurren Lagann
May 5, 2021 10:28 AM

Jan 2009
Gurren Lagann is about human spirit, fighting spirit and willpower (doing the impossible)

while Evangelion is more about psychological hedgehog dilemma
May 5, 2021 10:29 AM
Feb 2021
Legit the opposite. Eva is a melancholic and psychological look into the human psyche and depression. It takes it self very seriously. Gurren Lagan is the exact opposite where it doesn’t take itself seriously and is just a fun ride. As many have said it’s anime where mechs throw galaxies at each other. Not to say it’s bad or simple by any means it still has a great story and amazing characters with one of the best and most well developed protagonists in not just mecha but all of anime. So basically if you want a show that’ll make you feel Gurren Lagan. If you want an anime that will make you think Eva. Both are 10/10s on my opinion though
EJ03May 5, 2021 10:32 AM
May 5, 2021 10:38 AM
Feb 2021
EJ03 said:
Legit the opposite. Eva is a melancholic and psychological look into the human psyche and depression. It takes it self very seriously. Gurren Lagan is the exact opposite where it doesn’t take itself seriously and is just a fun ride. As many have said it’s anime where mechs throw galaxies at each other. Not to say it’s bad or simple by any means it still has a great story and amazing characters with one of the best and most well developed protagonists in not just mecha but all of anime. So basically if you want a show that’ll make you feel Gurren Lagan. If you want an anime that will make you think Eva. Both are 10/10s on my opinion though
thanks for all dude
May 5, 2021 10:40 AM
Jan 2021
Eva is the “let’s sit back and deconstruct the mech genre and give them depression” show while Gurren Lagan is the “lmao, let’s deconstruct the mech genre and give them laughs and a fun time” show. They’re kinda like two sides of the same coin
May 5, 2021 10:40 AM
Feb 2021
AngoMCB said:
I wouldn't say it is too similar to Evangelion, but its great in its own right and definitely worth a try.
ok, I'll absolutely watch thanks
May 5, 2021 11:33 AM

Jul 2020
Absolutely not, it's more like kill la kill
[center][img]signature.png[/img][/center]
May 5, 2021 11:40 AM
Feb 2021
Joachim_Joestar said:
I didn't watch kill la kill yet is that good I also want to watch that
May 5, 2021 3:36 PM
Feb 2021
It’s basically the opposite of Eva. But that’s not bad, it’s also an amazing anime.
May 5, 2021 3:50 PM

Mar 2021
The best answer I saw for the two comparison is gurren lagann acts like an answer to Eva. I couldn’t sit pass Eva as the vibe is too depressed and almost like curving a hole out your heart as you watch the character sinking deeper and deeper. Gurren Lagann serve kinda like a foil to it where it’s upbringing tone and the over the top even during the darker arcs. Looking deeper, the message from both series is kinda different as for Eva it’s more of a “hang in there” and gurren lagann is more a “you can fight past it” really depends on what the viewer resonate more with.
May 5, 2021 3:55 PM
Aug 2020
EmirDuja said:
I know both of them are mecha anime but I mean gurren lagann has got any mental side or is it just epic and funny action anime? I really like eva with rebuilds and I also want to watch this show. It's opening pretty cool.

Gurren lagann is definitely not as deep or psychological as Eva but it does have a pretty solid cast of characters Simon and Kamina are both great in particular. Also Gurren Lagann does actually handle some pretty interesting themes and does so incredibly well, it's an idealistic anime however it has enough thematic realism to actually give the ideals real weight. Basically Gurren Lagann is the type of series that will make you laugh and cry with it's characters while Neon Genesis really just leaves you feeling kind of empty. I prefer Eva but Gurren lagann is still really damn good.
May 5, 2021 6:31 PM

Feb 2021
Outside of some mechas fighting monsters.....no.
May 5, 2021 6:35 PM
Nov 2020
It addresses the same themes as Eva but in the exact opposite way.
May 5, 2021 7:11 PM
Jul 2018
Gurren Lagann is the anti-EVA (nge and eoe)
May 6, 2021 12:16 AM
Mar 2021
No not at all.
Neon genesis evangaleon was full of emotions and the story build was awesome
Also the series managed to make up its decorem until so long(recently we saw evangaleon3.0+1.0 which was awesome)
Gurren lagann was also great but I prefer eva.
May 6, 2021 9:17 AM
Feb 2021
EJ03 said:
i have sa same exact opinion on both shows Gurren Lagann may look like a one sided at first but you can only truly appreciate how smart it really is and how much thought they put into Simon as a character once you finish it
May 6, 2021 11:58 AM
Jan 2018
EmirDuja said:
Joachim_Joestar said:
I didn't watch kill la kill yet is that good I also want to watch that

Kill la kill is super awesome. It deconstructs the ecchi genre and turns echii into a main plotpoint for the shows existence. The animation is far beyond stunning, the VAs do a terrific job of being colorful and quirky, the music kicks total ass since it was orchestrated by the legendary Hiroyuki Sawano, and it rejects current animation tropes in japan by returning to a very stretch and pull style of animation. Its an absolutely a treat to watch and the characters are all vibrant and interesting. The story isn't complex but there are twists and turns that keep you invested.

And best of all, Ryuuko is that badass school ditching type who doesnt take shit but still isnt mature enough to be a hardened warrior. Shes a Sukeban which is an uncommonly used anime trope for a delinquent school girl. Okamii is another sukeban I happen to adore from the anime Okamii-san and her 7 companions. (Which is underrated af imo)
He died doing what he wanted, no matter what, right? I bet he was happy.

Good luck with berserk Kouji Mori, you'll need all the help you can get. We believe in you.
May 7, 2021 4:07 AM
Oct 2020
They're basically two sides of the same coin.

Eva is a probe into the depths of human despair. TTGL is the celebration of human spirit in the face of despair.

Just the OST speaks that way. Come Sweet Death for Eva and Fight the Power for TTGL.
May 10, 2021 7:41 AM
Mar 2021
Gurren lagann sure has some mature topics that treats very well, in episode 8 and 9 the thing feels very much like eva.

The thing is that ot falls flat in many other things, the conflict gets more and more ridiculous, I know the show is meant to be like that, but it was just extremely boring to me, a big dissapointment at the end

So the final answer is no, TTGL lives for the hype, EVA for the deconstruction of everything
May 19, 2021 2:53 PM
Feb 2021
In my opinion they feel like complete opposites
May 19, 2021 2:53 PM
Feb 2021
In my opinion they feel like complete opposites
Jul 6, 2021 5:25 PM

Apr 2018
Evangelion and Gurren Lagann are more similar than people think, but the tone for both shows are different.
Sep 26, 2021 7:42 AM

Apr 2020
Hell no, far from Evangelion.
"Humans are like isolated islands, floating in the sea of fate.
Human encounters are like the collision of these lonely islands, and once they touch, there would be an effect. Sometimes, the islands would stick together, in the name of ‘interest’, ‘kinship’, ‘friendship’, ‘love’ and ‘hate’. But eventually, they would separate, walking towards the path of destruction.

This is the truth behind life."

-Fang Yuan
Mar 13, 2022 7:40 AM

Dec 2021
Similar thematics, similar main character, similar aesthetic, completely different (i'd say opposite) execution. And no, there's not the existential shenenigans (sadly, i love that edgy shit) but A LOT of hype value
Purple_Gh0st24 said:
Evangelion and Gurren Lagann are more similar than people think, but the tone for both shows are different.

Pretty much this

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1159 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Sep 16, 6:51 AM

Poll: » Gurren Lagann Episode 8 - Never Forget ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

windy - May 20, 2007

516 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Sep 14, 10:44 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MasterChief - May 10, 2007

184 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Sep 14, 7:46 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

208 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Sep 14, 4:17 AM

» A question for people who have watched Gurren Lagann and loved it. ( 1 2 )

_Reas - Aug 4

93 by ZeroMajor12 »»
Sep 13, 5:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.