Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Aug 6, 2022 5:05 AM

Mar 2022
Great first episode. Setting and characters are interesting.
Aug 30, 2022 5:36 AM
Feb 2020
ok .......................................
Aug 30, 2022 10:23 PM
Jan 2017
It intrigued me within the first episode and I was glad to have watched the wholes series afterwards.
Sep 5, 2022 8:04 PM

Jan 2011
NGL not a good first impression but we ll see
Sep 14, 2022 8:16 PM

Dec 2018
they really packed a lot into one episode but it never felt rushed. I liked the pacing and it got me hooked. i hope it stays this good.
Oct 9, 2022 7:52 AM
Aug 2022
nice opening series
Oct 31, 2022 3:33 PM
Dec 2009
for a first episode, the premise is good
Dec 12, 2022 4:59 AM

Dec 2021
This anime seems interesting, that death scene was really great. I wonder how they're gonna feel about their new squadron leader!!
Dec 16, 2022 6:55 PM
Dec 2022
pretty brutal. problem?
Jan 5, 2023 10:02 PM

Jul 2016
"How do you fight a war with zero casualties?"
"Just don't report the casualties as human."
"Gee, why didn't I think of that?"
Man, that's messed up. I'm hooked.

Also, whoa that one guy sketched a pig in a dress in like 10 seconds.
Jan 9, 2023 8:48 AM
Apr 2018
Oh my god the character design is amazing :)
Jan 13, 2023 2:05 PM
Jan 2023
Amazing anime ong
Jan 13, 2023 5:39 PM
Sep 2022
There are some details which makes you wannna follow watching
Mar 9, 2023 6:15 PM
Mar 2023
Very interesting plot that is explained well.
Mar 10, 2023 3:50 AM

Jul 2016
i always find myself initially respecting bright characters that are deep-rooted in their beliefs and stay that way, regardless of if they can actually act out their true noble self or not in front of society. vladilena seems like such character... don't start getting annoying. i don't have any prior knowledge of what this anime is about, other than the two main leads and that it is said to be amazing. i'm partial to corrupt, racist, and wrongly motivated war-time government in mecha genres. (can't confirm if that's 100% the case.) goes without saying then that i'm already into this, deep. i was also hoping that this would be a case of sentient mecha or robots, but it's more of race subjugation. removing human rights renders one to be viewed as lesser than human, and as such, you could claim that there are no human casualties... the ost, sound, and voice acting in this particularly stood out to me. what was that piano track? i had to replay the scene where vladilena is talking to the 86 in her previous squadron after pleiades died, a couple hundred times. i can't get enough of that warped, resentful tone. masterful choux (?) smashing like [squashed brains] as a transition.
Mar 12, 2023 8:34 AM
Oct 2021
He is my favourite character
Apr 11, 2023 5:19 AM

Mar 2015
Didn't waste any time jumping straight into this one! Didn't share any worldbuilding but the general premise has been easy to comprehend thus far.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jun 5, 2023 5:43 PM

Feb 2015
I liked it.

Interesting first episode that, perhaps, spent a bit too much time establishing the big picture. But with that out of the way, the focus can now fall on the small, the personal picture, which gains even more meaning with the big picture established.

I found myself pausing, rewinding and even slowing down speed while watching. Often, especially in badly designed stories, you tend to do the opposite: to fast forward. I take doing the opposite as a sign that every moment was meaningful and loaded with relevancy to the plot.

Of course, the story can go wrong in all possible ways after one episode, but the foundations look good. Off to episode 2!
Jun 6, 2023 10:53 PM
May 2023
it was soooo good and hart
Jun 15, 2023 10:56 PM
Dec 2020
tthis epoisode was el fuego. i highly trreccomend this show. please watch
Jun 27, 2023 11:28 AM

Jun 2021
i'm really liking this so far! someone else already said it, but the duality between the alba and 86's lives really stood out to me. i had a feeling that shin was undertaker... he was focused on a bit more and just looked mysterious so that was my hunch. i kinda have a feeling that lena and shin will become an item, seeing as the two of them are pretty focused on in 86 media and that's usually just how the main female and male lead end up anyway.
Jul 20, 2023 6:49 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
The first episode was nice, even though I have no real clue what is happening. So ye they are at war but most think the machines are empty? Or do they kinda despy them for some reason, so who cares if they die? 
I mean the hair looks different. In the big city they all had some silver / gray hair while the soildiers had some more natural haircolour.
I am curious where this will lead us.

Aug 29, 2023 9:03 PM
Aug 2023
After the reveal, I was actually kind of disappointed they weren't A.I. because human rights, and human discrimination has been done the death in other shows already. I'd actually be rather watching an exploration of rights and discrimination of A.I. instead. You know, some Ghost in the Shell, and Vivy Flourite Eye's Song stuff. I guess I'm callous, but I actually cared less about the 86 after the reveal. "Oh look, the show's trying to emotionally manipulate me with them all happy feeding cats, and oh no the brother got wasted, sad face", maybe I'm a little cynical as well.

Anyways, this show is highly rated, so it'll probably get better. I'll admit, the twist was pretty good, it got me, but they need to improve on endearing the characters to me. So far I feel nothing for all of the characters. I was actually feeling something for the 86 when I thought they were A.I., "oh they sound so selfless when they keep asking the handler why she cares about them", but after the reveal it turns out they were just being passive aggressive when saying "us 86 aren't human, RIGHT!?! Why do YOU care!?!" The reveal ruined it. Same with the MC, at first I thought she cared about the A.I.s when everybody else naturally didn't, it was a little inspiring. But after the reveal, she was just the boring righteous character getting idealistic on the unnaturally apathetic other handlers because they don't care about other human's rights. Wow-wee, people are sort of bad and uncaring at times...what else is new.
Garrett_DarkAug 29, 2023 9:07 PM
Sep 14, 2023 9:53 PM

May 2015
I also thought they were gonna be AI robots or something.
The war and discrimination is giving me Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans vibes.
Oct 10, 2023 7:36 AM

Dec 2022
I would've preferred the exposition be spread out over more episodes myself. There's no shortage of fictional jargon used in this episode, so it's hard to grasp the meaning of the context behind some of these conversations.

Otherwise, looks alright. I'm eager to see if Spearhead can get along with their new Handler, or if they just resent her for being born of the high caste that get to live a less turbulent life.

Shaded Horizon

Oct 24, 2023 7:55 PM

Aug 2014
very interesting start and world building
nice story and art
maybe some secrets revealed too fast
and ep or ed song was lame
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Nov 18, 2023 2:34 AM
Sep 2023
amazing anime, you tell it form the start
Jan 19, 4:13 PM
Jan 2024
Missed a lot of important info. Didn't introduce the environment well but it seemed that it was more focused on introducing the characters which it did do well. However I still need to give it an "Okay" because its the Pilot episode which is responsible for setting the stage for the rest of the series and, for me, it did fall short of that. Production was good and I love the audio engineering.
Feb 13, 6:34 AM
Feb 2017
I am overwhelmed with how deep and interesting this story seems to be. Heavily Invested already.
Mar 11, 9:21 PM
Jul 2017
Undertaker I love him!!!
Apr 14, 10:42 PM
Dec 2019
Really enjoyed this episode on a first rewatch. I compared it to IBO the first time around and funnily enough I just rewatched that series recently too. Either way, extremely strong first episode that moves quickly in setting up all the important pieces (luxurious city with jerk-ass military vs poverty stricken frontier child soldiers, robot enemies, para-RAID, etc). It looks really nice and the soundtrack is strong right from the start too. This one will probably be moving up in my rankings unless I blocked out some clunkiness from my memory.
Apr 29, 7:10 PM
Mar 2024
I liked the badass character of shin...just fell in love with him
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2021

462 by SantiOtakito »»
May 29, 5:52 AM

» Eighty-Six: The Complete Season avalable for purchase on digital

jorel262 - May 22

2 by IhnalakoKaina »»
May 22, 10:05 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

433 by yuyiyu »»
May 22, 6:47 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2021

243 by lordmisanthrope »»
May 16, 1:34 PM

» 86 LN starts its Final Arc with the next Light Novel volume 14.

darksideee - Jan 11

32 by KitsuFrost »»
May 1, 7:13 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.