Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Why is the "becoming a hero" aspect of Jujutsu Kaisen more enjoyable than My Hero?

New
Mar 19, 2021 3:43 PM
Feb 2017
Maybe it's the characters, maybe it's the less hand-holding?

I don't know why, but even though both series deal with high schoolers in a school for learning how to become "heroes" I just find JJK's approach to it more entertaining. I like the way they deal with action and with slice of life more.

I actually wouldn't mind a few more chill episodes like the baseball one

But my god was I unhappy with the swimming pool cleanup and with the love mission episodes MHA had. In MHA's defense though, they were filler (though I still found a single baseball episode more entertaining than the School Festival arc, until Gentle Chad came in)

And, I get MHA tries to be as realistic as possible with the hero and hero schooling systems, but I do wish they'd just send out the kids to fight villains with a chance of them dying, rather than all the restricitions and punishments they do.
It's Aiko!!!!
Mar 19, 2021 4:13 PM

Nov 2018
Jujutsu sorcerers aren't heroes nor are they trying to save everyone. Some of them are evil others a neutral, most of them do it for personal reasons rather than some vague objective like becoming a hero. I believe it's this multifaceted interactions of characters in JJK that makes it more appealing to me than MHA
Mar 19, 2021 4:25 PM
Jul 2020
Space_Rocky said:
Jujutsu sorcerers aren't heroes nor are they trying to save everyone. Some of them are evil others a neutral, most of them do it for personal reasons rather than some vague objective like becoming a hero. I believe it's this multifaceted interactions of characters in JJK that makes it more appealing to me than MHA
Exactly, gege makes it clear to us that being a sorcerer is not a noble and pleasant job. Nobody sees you as a hero or you are famous as in boku no hero. Later in the manga there are good examples of this.
Mar 19, 2021 4:34 PM
Feb 2017
Space_Rocky said:

I put becoming a hero in quotes for a reason. I just meant becoming a person who fights enemies in general, whether it be as a hero, jujutsu sorcer, ninja, soul reaper etc
It's Aiko!!!!
Mar 19, 2021 5:02 PM
Dec 2020
I think it’s the fact that it’s unique to yuji while everyone in mha wants to be a hero. The sorcerers in jjk aren’t in it to be a hero. Also it’s not in your face too much with yuji, some points sure it’s explicitly stated that he wants to help people but not so much that it’s annoying or forced
said the lolicon bastard
Mar 19, 2021 5:05 PM
ダンダダン

Jun 2015
MinorTatu said:
Maybe it's the characters, maybe it's the less hand-holding?

I don't know why, but even though both series deal with high schoolers in a school for learning how to become "heroes" I just find JJK's approach to it more entertaining. I like the way they deal with action and with slice of life more.

I actually wouldn't mind a few more chill episodes like the baseball one

But my god was I unhappy with the swimming pool cleanup and with the love mission episodes MHA had. In MHA's defense though, they were filler (though I still found a single baseball episode more entertaining than the School Festival arc, until Gentle Chad came in)

And, I get MHA tries to be as realistic as possible with the hero and hero schooling systems, but I do wish they'd just send out the kids to fight villains with a chance of them dying, rather than all the restricitions and punishments they do.

I think you are right its probably the hand holding that goes on in my hero, my hero isn't chaotic the kids are sheltered they aren't allowed to even go fight bad villains unless they have said guardians but in jjk the kids have to deal with it themselves and grow from it

Mar 19, 2021 5:21 PM
Jan 2021
MinorTatu said:
Space_Rocky said:

I put becoming a hero in quotes for a reason. I just meant becoming a person who fights enemies in general, whether it be as a hero, jujutsu sorcer, ninja, soul reaper etc
I can kinda understand what you're saying, but why compare Jjk to BNHA of all things?😂 They're just so wildly different in so many ways.
Mar 19, 2021 5:25 PM
Jan 2021
This coming from the same person who said there should be more drama between classmates in MHA?? But I don’t think the shows can really be compared in this aspect because the worlds in MHA and JJK are completely different. Everyone in the MHA world knows about quirks and heroes and villains and the villains in MHA are real human people. While in JJK only sorcerers know about curses and cursed energy and even though the curses can be humanoid they aren’t human at all and can’t be treated as such.
Mar 19, 2021 5:54 PM
Feb 2017
Solace546 said:
I can kinda understand what you're saying, but why compare Jjk to BNHA of all things?😂 They're just so wildly different in so many ways.

They both deal with 15 year olds in magic school, but JJK's take on it is more interesting
It's Aiko!!!!
Mar 19, 2021 7:07 PM
Jan 2021
Srry but no it is not you must not like my hero then... because many anime have the becoming a hero concept but mha does it the best
Thx
Mar 19, 2021 7:45 PM
Aug 2020
Lol jjk and MHA are completely different things and aren’t much comparable,, i’d say compare jjk to something like bleach or hxh, mha fits more to naruto for comparison.

And plus for MHA, the students are there to learn to become a hero and learn education at the same time, they didn’t sign up to enlist in the army or for police academy where in those jobs, you’d put your life on the line. It makes no sense for the students in a hero academy to automatically be sent to war and die fighting when that goes against their protocols, and when the schools DOES break protocols and sends students out to fight, it leads to consequences and holds less trust from the guardians of each student to the school.

And for JJK, so far from the anime, yuji was prepared to take on tasks that would put his life on the line since he so far killed a lot of curses. That’s why yuji and his friends are fighting curses to the near death like what just happened in the latest episode. Yuji is signing up to the Jujutsu school to be prepared to take down curses and not there to be a “hero“, he’s there to be a jujutsu sorcerer, and so far the job of the sorcerers is to give them a “proper death”.

If you like badass action non stop and bit of edgy stuff, JJK is fit for you but if you prefer action with a mix of emotional feelings, MHA fits for you.
Ofcool2947Mar 19, 2021 11:51 PM
Mar 19, 2021 8:02 PM
Oct 2020
I don’t think anyone in JJK is in Jujutsu sorcery just for money, popularity and reasons that your average person would want to be a hero. I’m not say people won’t do it for a normal reason. I think that people who are in the jujutsu world are probably ready for traumatic experiences while in MHA people who want to be a hero aren’t ready for it.
Mar 19, 2021 8:04 PM
Oct 2020
MrAnime-MSA said:
Srry but no it is not you must not like my hero then... because many anime have the becoming a hero concept but mha does it the best
Thx
They never said that they liked one over another, it just what they think.
Mar 19, 2021 8:53 PM
Oct 2018
I don't see the hero aspect at all in Jujutsu Kaisen. I think most of the sorcerers are sorcerers because they are forced (bloodline) or for selfish reasons. Never really hear them talking about wanting to save people from bad guys. It's more them wanting to become more powerful to survive and beat the bad guys which also saves normal people.
Mar 19, 2021 9:39 PM
Mar 2021
I think the main thing is that in MHA, the idea of having to become a hero “like all might” and being the good versus the evil kind off imposes a bubble around the students that limits their personal moral compass and actions. However in jjk, many sorcerers aren’t hero’s, in fact many aren’t even good people. This is much more realistic in the sense that if anyone is a hero in jjk, it’s because they sincerely want to and have good reasons for it, whereas in mha they try to be hero’s regardless of their personal reasons or objectives.
Mar 19, 2021 9:47 PM
Dec 2020
Space_Rocky said:
most of JJK’s approach is that all characters have a drive that comes from a negative place, and that seems so much more realistic, rather than MHA’s “I wanna save everyone, I wanna be a hero”.

Also, JJK’s animation just stands out. The fight scenes are smooth and so much more character driven than plot driven. And it’s *feels* like JJK was targeted for a mature age group than MHA was... and maybe that’s why the “becoming a hero” aspect is so much more appealing and intriguing.
Mar 19, 2021 10:38 PM
Jan 2021
I mean, Deku says how he’s going to become a hero and he’s trying his hardest every other sentence.
Mar 19, 2021 11:58 PM
Mar 2021
Because in jujutsu they are just pdycose and in my hero they put alot of the plot on tge idels of people
Mar 20, 2021 1:35 AM
Dec 2020
People are right about the different concepts of becoming a "hero" in each anime, but for me I think the biggest difference I see are the characters. The character interactions in Jujutsu Kaisen are so much more entertaining, that as you said even some of the fillers are my favourite. I could differentiate and remember all the different characters by episode 3, because of how distinct and memorable they were. Boku no hero had characters which I could describe in less than a sentence.

Midoriya - doesn't see the difference between bullying or friendship
Todoroki - daddy issues and edgy
Bakugou - I hate this character
All the rest - I do not remember ( gravity girl, frog girl, pervy boy)

The characters in this anime bored me to death so i dropped it in season 3. I guess boku no hero was more aimed at the "process" of becoming a hero. We spent so much time training and learning the ways of the hero world . While in Jujutsu Kaisen everything you require to fight is already there since most of our cast already knows how to use cursed energy/techniques. Yuuji being the only new member of the school it's easier to focus on other things rather than "how to become a sorcerer 101". Most of the time that is, because Yuuji had to be taught the basics at some point but that was so we the audience would also get a better sense of the world building.
arawraMar 20, 2021 1:39 AM
Mar 20, 2021 4:43 AM

Mar 2018
mn_moo said:
Space_Rocky said:
most of JJK’s approach is that all characters have a drive that comes from a negative place, and that seems so much more realistic, rather than MHA’s “I wanna save everyone, I wanna be a hero”.

Also, JJK’s animation just stands out. The fight scenes are smooth and so much more character driven than plot driven. And it’s *feels* like JJK was targeted for a mature age group than MHA was... and maybe that’s why the “becoming a hero” aspect is so much more appealing and intriguing.

Idk if that's what you tried to say, but MHA's fight are just as much if not more character driven than JJK's. Like every singe blow in MHA's fights are delivered with the intent to finish it and always have a huge emotionnal weight. Maybe you feel more JJK's fight because you like the characters more which is fair, but factually in the way they handle their fight, MHA has the upper hand of character focus.

Also I think both shows aim at the same target audience, just because JJK is overall darker and edgier doesn't mean MHA is more childish, last season dealt with child abuse which is imo darker than anything JJK pulled off yet, and I ain't even talking about the manga only content.

I think it's interesting to compare the 2 shows, cuz they both have complementing qualities imo, but they also try to accomplish vastly different things, and I don't think the central theme of becoming a "hero" is very present in JJK as much as in MHA.
Mar 20, 2021 5:39 AM
Jan 2018
I'm 4-5 episodes in I don't get the impression that any of the characters are trying to be hero's
Mar 20, 2021 6:14 AM
Jan 2011
MinorTatu said:
Space_Rocky said:

I get what you mean though, Yuuji wants to be a hero, Megumi doesn't, Nobara doesn't really care, Gojo has his own reasons. Everyone treats being a sorcerer different and I think in that way it's more interesting because in BNHA all the characters have the same goal just different ways of going about it. In JJK they might have different goals but at the end of the day those motivations might not matter when you're fighting a special grade spirit
Mar 20, 2021 6:16 AM
Jan 2011
Mattinator95 said:
I'm 4-5 episodes in I don't get the impression that any of the characters are trying to be hero's

I won't spoil anything for you and ruin your fun but the show does get into it a little bit in conversations between characters
Mar 20, 2021 3:24 PM
Feb 2021
Maybe because it’s not the focus? I don’t feel like it is anyways. But it’s literally the point of MHA (it’s in the title?)
Mar 20, 2021 8:58 PM
Oct 2019
Fran9900 said:
Space_Rocky said:
Exactly, gege makes it clear to us that being a sorcerer is not a noble and pleasant job. Nobody sees you as a hero or you are famous as in boku no hero. Later in the manga there are good examples of this.

Jujutsu sorcerers...

Are shit!
Mar 25, 2021 10:55 AM
May 2018
The concept of "Hero" is used in a wildly different way in both series.

My Hero Academia is set in a world where almost everyone has superpowers and they are visible to everyone, one of the long standing themes of that show (and the reason that I watch it) is "what exactly makes you a hero" and how that affects you and society. People expect heroes to protect them while keeping themselves aligned with the law (aka imprisoning instead of killing villains, etc.) and that adds a lot of on their shoulders besides everything else.

On the other hand, in Jujutsu Kaisen sorcery is hidden from the world and most people can't even see curses / perceive cursed energy, so even if a sorcerer saves hundreds of people no one except a few people will ever know what's happening (unless that somehow changes in the future). So the conflicts here are on a more grounded/personal level, it depends on each sorcerer wether they see themselves as allies of justice or not, they don't have to deal with public opinion or anything like that. Because of this it doesn't matter if you kill curses as the whole point is to exorcise them, and they are willing to go as far as killing innocent people if it will prevent disaster

I personally enjoy the latter setup more (anonymous people protecting the world from the shadows).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

_MushiRock11_ - Sep 19, 2020

497 by Genkai »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Dec 25, 2020

278 by Fujoshinshin »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2020

333 by Fujoshinshin »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2021

648 by SengokuSeju »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2021

303 by Agathusian »»
May 31, 4:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.