I said with a posed look
Feb 26, 2021 1:35 PM

Jan 2021
We all watch different stuff tbh man idk
Feb 26, 2021 1:47 PM

Sep 2014
sekaiwaKIREI said:
Hrybami said:

The ironic thing is that it's generally those who are new to anime who bash the most on SAO.

really? when i was new to anime i loved sao. only when i rewatched it 2 years later did i realise it wasn't as good as i remembered.

I'm talking about those who hate it, not those who like it.
Feb 26, 2021 1:49 PM
Nov 2020
Zanarukando said:
Kirito is an edge lord with a harem so it's no brauner that it would attract teenagers, which is probably the majority of anime watchers.
he is not an edge lord he is just a kid who don't like the guilt of being to weak to save his guild.
Feb 26, 2021 1:50 PM
Dec 2020
Kenzolo-folk said:
cuz generic power-up mc
and also everyone thought that first episode was a cultural reset
you're 13 looooooooooooooooooool
Deathlydash
Feb 26, 2021 1:53 PM

Jan 2021
Deathlydash said:
Kenzolo-folk said:
cuz generic power-up mc

so what if they're 13? what difference does that make in this case? you don't have to like sao if you're 13.
"不幸だ!" - Kamijou Touma
Check out my anime list by clicking here (it's public now).

Feb 26, 2021 2:01 PM

Aug 2015
-MMORPG where you can do whatever you want.
-Waifus
-Edgelord of a protagonist that is overpowered just because and can accomplish anything.
-It was innovative when it came out
-Pretty animation

If the Stardust whatever (Dual Wielding) of Kirito was made today, internet would have gone crazy in almost the same way they did for the Hinokami (since they are the same kind of asspull with pretty animation) but times are different, and people who grew up with SAO also didn´t like the second arc and what came afterwards, so the other generations already had the "Sao is a bad anime" mentality.

In reality, most isekai LN´s just copy what SAO popularized.
Feb 26, 2021 2:04 PM
Oct 2018
The question in thread is "How is Sao so popular?"

But is it popular to begin with? In a way it certainly is, but probably not in a good way, Sao is popular rather popularly hated on, it's harder to find people who think Sao is a masterpiece rather than people who think it's shit. The Sao fandom had already died long ago when s2 aired. People are literally hating on something that cease to exist long ago, nowadays only newbies dare to Sao considering the hate it gets in the anime community. Sao is literally the big three of the most hated anime(along with ft and boruto). It's a valid argument statement if you think Sao is shit but where do you pull out this "popularity" or being overrated arguments?
Feb 26, 2021 2:09 PM

Jun 2012
sekaiwaKIREI said:
Deathlydash said:

so what if they're 13? what difference does that make in this case? you don't have to like sao if you're 13.
His comment is probably about the second point. 13 in 2021 is 4 in 2012, when SAO aired. If you're going to talk about what people thought when you were learning object permanence, this 81 year old sage isn't going to take it.

As someone who was on MAL at the time, I just remember dogging on it with the boys.
Feb 26, 2021 2:11 PM
Jul 2017
To me SAO was pretty good and still is with Alicization
Feb 26, 2021 2:15 PM

Jan 2021
AtmosphericEntry said:
sekaiwaKIREI said:

His comment is probably about the second point. 13 in 2021 is 4 in 2012, when SAO aired. If you're going to talk about what people thought when you were learning object permanence, this 81 year old sage isn't going to take it.

As someone who was on MAL at the time, I just remember dogging on it with the boys.

damn, didn't know 81 year olds still existed on this site. well, i guess we all are normies compared to such an anime veteran. didn't know 81 year olds also used the term 'loooooooooooooooooooooooool' either.
"不幸だ!" - Kamijou Touma
Check out my anime list by clicking here (it's public now).

Feb 26, 2021 6:31 PM

Apr 2020
Deathlydash said:
Kenzolo-folk said:
cuz generic power-up mc

Yeah i am.... what does that have to do with anythin?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 27, 2021 11:09 AM

Nov 2008
Haechuu said:
And I still wonder the fact to why a best friend of mine, 6 years ago, recommended me to watch SAO over Sailor Moon.

To be fair, Kirito kicks the shit out of Tuxedo Mask....although that isn't hard to do. xD

Feb 27, 2021 11:11 AM

Feb 2021
I always fantasized about virtual reality MMORPGs. Initially, I was interested in the anime to see how it executed the concept.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 27, 2021 11:29 AM
Feb 2018
What makes a show popular is how captivating its initial story premise is and sao did have an interesting concept... at least back then it did feel like. Also the good art and music further adds on to why it's so popular.

SAO's hatred is very overexaggerated and if a newcomer were to watch it oblivious of that hatred, there's a good chance he would like at least some aspect of sao.
Feb 27, 2021 6:52 PM

Dec 2012
Because art and entertainment are entirely subjective mediums. What entertains some will not entertain others. And also this:

GlennMagusHarvey said:
It's so hated in part because it's so popular.

Also, "quality" is kinda subjective.
KruszerFeb 27, 2021 6:57 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Feb 27, 2021 7:27 PM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
- Video game, shiny VR technology with more """risks"""!
- A fantasy MMORPG world
- Harem
- Edgy protag-kun
- OP protag-kun (risks don't apply to protag-kun bc he's a PRO gamer!)
- Protag-kun gets everythingand into other people's business because he's protag-kun
- Decent animation

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Feb 27, 2021 8:38 PM

Jul 2014
Cause its not a bad series but for some reason people love to hate on it.
Feb 27, 2021 8:48 PM

Sep 2020
IT'S THE NORMIES I TELL YA! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!
Feb 27, 2021 9:09 PM

Sep 2020
Then can you tell me why FMAB is so popular though it's a trash??

WHAT A LAUGHABLE ATTEMPT.
YOU SHOULD JUST STAY WHERE YOU ARE
, GROVELING AT MY FEET

P.S. PLEASE HELP ME GAIN MORE PROFILE VIEWS
Feb 27, 2021 10:20 PM
May 2020
SAO is a masterpiece which is why it is popular. The sheep and teenagers online simply think it is somehow edgy to do exactly what the internet tells them to do.
Feb 27, 2021 10:30 PM
Feb 2020
Simps and gamers. No, really. It’s not a joke.

Lol. The first season was good objectively but everything after is just lackluster. It’s trying to hard to be too many things.
Feb 27, 2021 10:31 PM
Feb 2020
MHAisTrueKing said:

blasphemer. Be gone with you, wild boy.
Feb 28, 2021 2:01 AM

Sep 2020
DeitySmoke said:
MHAisTrueKing said:

blasphemer. Be gone with you, wild boy.
FMAB is trash in my opinion. What bothers you? If you like that trash, you can live with it

WHAT A LAUGHABLE ATTEMPT.
YOU SHOULD JUST STAY WHERE YOU ARE
, GROVELING AT MY FEET

P.S. PLEASE HELP ME GAIN MORE PROFILE VIEWS
Feb 28, 2021 2:49 AM

Jan 2021
SAO did blow everyone's mind in 2011, that's why. Like gaming is not a popular genre? I think so. Especially at that time. Even the animation is really super fantastic also. So everybody watched it right away, SAO is also one of the first Anime I ever watched.

“The first requirement of being a hero isn’t being right. It’s being strong. That’s why the hero always wins.” – Koyomi Araragi

Nov 26, 2021 4:46 PM

Jun 2021
Probably has to do with it being mainstream, since its usually how shows like these get so popular.
Nov 26, 2021 5:07 PM

Mar 2021
GoldenMonster said:
I mean I know the actual quality of a show doesn't necessarily translate to the popularity, but I mean come on it's so hated it can't be that wide-spread.

The one good thing that SAO did right is a good marketing campaign. Even people who don't watch anime have heard of SAO and that says a lot when you could point to over a dozen other titles with an equivalent amount of public exposure that lack the same acknowledgement.
ColourWheelNov 26, 2021 5:15 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Does a person die the moment they become egg custard or the moment they're eaten as an egg custard?

Dragevard - 3 hours ago

6 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
46 seconds ago

» Can you suggest some anime that would be great to watch with a girl-friend

Gashadokur0 - 11 hours ago

28 by Vampire_Lord »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » How many characters from MAL top-100 do you know and what is your opinion on them?

Shizuna - Apr 16

40 by Gashadokur0 »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you keep up with Anime Original Films?

Dragevard - May 25

17 by Lightflake »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Will Wit Studio be more successful in money for the next 5 years?

GoatPieceLuffy - 11 hours ago

8 by AniMarter »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.