Forum Settings
Forums
Queen Emeraldas
Available on Manga Store
New
May 22, 2020 2:17 AM
Jan 2016
According to reports from some people present at the "Leiji Future" Convention, the animated project based on the Leiji Matsumoto universe, which would consist of 3 films; The Zero Century: Emeraldas (2020), The Zero Century: Herlock (2023), and The Zero Century: Maetel (2026), has been suspended for budget reasons.

Others report that it was not due to budget problems, but due to creative differences with Gainax.

After the arrest of the new representative director of Gainax (Tomohiro Maki) at the end of 2019, Goodbook detached itself and replaced Gainax with Gainax Kyoto.

It is not confirmed whether Hiroyuki Yamaga and Yoshiyuki Sadamoto are still in the project.

May 22, 2020 2:46 AM

Jun 2016
Gainax can't do shit these days. From what little I've read it seems that they've been a mismanaged mess since the 80s.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 10, 2020 7:56 AM
Anime Moderator
May 2018
Not surprised considering it's Gainax, but I was looking forward to this.
Jul 1, 2020 6:36 AM

Apr 2011
Ah, that's a pity. I was looking forward to see Harlock again. ):
Jul 13, 2020 8:36 AM

May 2015
Are you serious. Im actually crying right now. I cant explain how much I was looking forwards to this. Ive been telling everyone i knew about this since it was announced. My heart hurts so much. I just want more Leijiverse content.
My Candies:
Aug 29, 2021 3:51 AM

Jan 2013
haha just get trigger to take over the reins.
Nov 15, 2021 4:51 AM
May 2021
F
Maybe anno himself helms this project. There's no info about this series. Maybe sometime later
Jul 19, 2022 11:17 AM
Jul 2021
this is unlikely to happen, even the official website has stopped working
Feb 26, 2023 9:42 AM

Feb 2021
The twitter account posted something recently, they said the project is delayed but they're still active apparently.
Mar 7, 2023 7:17 PM
SuperEdgeLordGod

Feb 2014
To quote Quintus Lentulus Batiatus:

“When people see some things as beautiful, other things become ugly.
When people see some things as good, other things become bad.”
Apr 25, 2023 9:11 PM
Nov 2022
101Raven said:
The twitter account posted something recently, they said the project is delayed but they're still active apparently.
That's good to know! I thought the project died and wasn't happening at all. I hope it comes out sometime soon.

Gainax Kyoto is a fairly active support studio (they've been doing in-between work on tons of new anime, including the new Dr. Stone), and it's run by Yasushiro Takeda, so that does give me some confidence. However, in terms of original output, they are the least active of all the Gainax spinoff branch studios, which is worrying -- Gaina has made several full-length TV series, and Yonago Gainax is working hard on video games, while Gainax Kyoto has only made one chibi short series. This concern is further compounded by the fact that Production Goodbook is also a support studio, having made no original anime yet. With all this said, it looks like we've still got a long wait ahead of us, but the project not being dead and having studios attached is hopeful. At this point I'm more confident that Zero Century will get made than Uru in Blue -- Uru in Blue has been in production hell for 30 years and there's apparently some legal trouble with it.
Jun 9, 8:36 PM
Feb 2021
I imagine Gainax's recent announcement of bankruptcy is going to cause some issues with this. Anyone know what kind of effect that'll have on on Gainax Kyoto and Yonago Gainax?
Aug 15, 11:00 PM

Jun 2010
Reply to jekfrumstotferm
I imagine Gainax's recent announcement of bankruptcy is going to cause some issues with this. Anyone know what kind of effect that'll have on on Gainax Kyoto and Yonago Gainax?
As I recall, in March (before the announcement of Gainax's bankruptcy), there wasn't any indication that Gainax Kyoto would make this. That info might came afterward and as such, they inherited the project. Which would be a huge task for them after a handful of short videos both promotional and music, and might never happen without outsourcing to other much bigger studios.

And I say March, because I tried to reach Gainax Kyoto too alongside Kyoto Animation, when I made my trip to Kyoto and it's vicinity. The sole purpose of those reach outs were for making interviews with some of the directors and animators (since I'm writing an article series for a Hungarian anime-manga magazine about animation industry and the history of the Far Eastern animation industry from the 1900s until recent years, and I wanted to add a little spice to it). While KyoAni responded with a direct "sorry, but we have a lot of work on our hands" (or lit. translation: "No, we can't make an interview."), Gainax Kyoto did not even bothered with the answer. Then I didn't know why, but after the announcement of bankruptcy it made sense.
RiczAug 15, 11:03 PM

More topics from this board

» Surprised

removed-user - Apr 24, 2019

4 by RinkanReich »»
Apr 1, 2020 5:27 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.