Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Girls' Last Tour
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Dec 16, 2020 8:51 AM

Apr 2017
It's neat that Chito and Yuuri got to see all the photos and videos on the camera before it was eaten/destroyed by the mushroom thingy. Makes you wonder how all those videos got on there to begin with, since they seemed to be about all sorts of things not related to each other. The camera probably had many owners before Kanazawa and the girls, and everyone archived whatever videos they could find, and took new ones. It's an effort to not be forgotten, and maybe to pass on knowledge about how things used to be before the war. It's a pity that everything is eventually lost.

Speaking of the war, it was interesting to see this part of the story elaborated on. Japan declared war on other countries and was presumably and destroyed bombed in turn, but not before launching nukes and destroying everything else. Assuming all of civilization wasn't completely destroyed, the girls and their grandfather were probably war prisoners and those soldiers may have been foreigners sent out to round up and execute Japanese prisoners once they were no longer useful. If every other country was destroyed, then it was most likely the last humans fighting over remaining rations and resources.

Someone mentioned that Chito and Yuuri were in a different city than the one where they met Ishii and Kanazawa — we don't actually know that. The city looked absolutely enormous, and the train could've been circling it. It's also debatable what happened to Ishii and Kanazawa themselves, whether they gave into despair or found something else to live for.

I'm glad I read the manga before seeing this and would recommend everyone also read the manga AND watch the anime for the full story.
Beautiful background art and music, and appreciated the deeper dive into the war aspect.

9/10 for me
Pande91Dec 16, 2020 8:55 AM
Dec 24, 2020 6:56 AM

Jan 2009
Just finished watching, definitely one of my favorite anime of these past few years!

Just learned that there are 2 volumes left not adapted, any chance a final OVA/Movie will wrap it up in the near future or I'm better continuing from Volume5?
Jan 2, 2021 10:54 AM

Apr 2017
WhiteTestament said:
Just learned that there are 2 volumes left not adapted, any chance a final OVA/Movie will wrap it up in the near future or I'm better continuing from Volume5?

You'd probably be better off reading the manga, there hasn't been any news of a continuation for the anime (in any form).
Jun 17, 2021 11:41 AM

Jun 2019
My 60th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it an 8/10 rating.
Jul 1, 2021 2:03 AM
Dec 2020
Piromysl said:
Well, the mushroom lady actually explained the mystery where all the corpses went.

Also she mentioned that Yuu and Chi are the only living humans left. So, are Ishii and Kanazawa dead?
"on that floor" you missed that
Jul 5, 2021 12:31 AM

Aug 2015
This show has some interesting ideas and some genuinely great moments, but it's hard to give it high score. There is simply not enough meat on the bones. Which makes the trip, all in all, pretty boring..
Also questionable finale, but it was to be expected.
7/10
Soundtrack is actually amazing.
Nov 26, 2021 11:42 PM

Jan 2021
Only one thing I don't like about this anime, Mushrooms are weird and they can fly. Overall good
Dec 1, 2021 1:23 PM
Aug 2016
So much thought provoking stuff. After hearing so much about the themes of evolution in this anime, where the mushrooms really aliens? Where they developed robots, like the three girls designed?
Is this one big earth wide city, or rather as we see in the submarine many different mega cities?
Did meteors wipe out the population, weakened by wars? Or did the mushrooms use them to invade the earth, our population fighting for survival. We know they use energy to develop, we also heard about EMPs being used to destroy electronic devices. Maybe a last ditch effort of humanity to destroy the food source of our fungi foes?
The two girls, are they alone, the friends they made along the way dead, and forgotten?
The infamous top level. The mushrooms didn't know if any more humans are still alive up there, implying it could be a last human stronghold on earth.
The mushrooms where praised, placed in temples and graveyards, so one could guess they're developed robots who - through evolution - became conscious, thus the themes of developement, what is life and evolution. Maybe humans came to worship them, before the inevitable downfall / uprise.

Also interesting is the place where they first meet cut, our neko friend. Chi talks about how there were at least two battles there. There's a hole in the ceiling and a crater on the floor. If the alien theory is true, maybe they landed there, the gun placements would support the theory of humans trying to circle them and to smoke them out.

So many thought provoking theories and topics; what's life, what's evolution, what would happen once you're alone on the planet with it slowly drifting into hibernation...

I really enjoyed this anime and hope we get a second season. I'm writing this mainly to remind myself to look up my theories once more before watching it, if it ever airs.

If someone had similar theories or is interested in further discussion msg me, this anime really made me think!
NeerpDec 1, 2021 1:27 PM
Jan 10, 2022 4:31 AM

May 2020
In the last part of the anime we saw the title of the current part in the end of that part unlike other parts. That was really nice detail. I thought we are still in the past part of the episode but we didnt.

when i saw the comrade/fellow in the end i was going to lost my shit. The past part was also so good. We got some info about the past.

Musics were so good for its atmosphere and dividing each episode with topics was good way to explain emotions.

This is my best post apocalyptic / iyashikei anime
9/10 for me.
Jan 17, 2022 12:19 AM

Nov 2019
I don't get why Japaneses were so against the idea of letting the audiences experience this in one sitting as a movie with half of the running time...
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jan 31, 2022 3:32 PM

Jun 2019
SgtBaitMan said:
I don't get why Japaneses were so against the idea of letting the audiences experience this in one sitting as a movie with half of the running time...

Thankfully (for me and others who appreciate this series the way it is) they did not!

The reasoning must be that there must be a larger or more influential share of people in charge of the relevant decisionmaking who felt similarly to me who would prefer a longer form story always and the longer and slower the better for this and many other stories and worlds. And those people must have been convinced that at least in Japan there was enough of an audience of people who would desire and value the same thing for it to be viable enough.
Feb 1, 2022 11:13 PM

Nov 2019
WatchTillTandava said:

Thankfully (for me and others who appreciate this series the way it is) they did not!

The reasoning must be that there must be a larger or more influential share of people in charge of the relevant decisionmaking who felt similarly to me who would prefer a longer form story always and the longer and slower the better for this and many other stories and worlds. And those people must have been convinced that at least in Japan there was enough of an audience of people who would desire and value the same thing for it to be viable enough.

Nah, in that way, they just made the adaptation feel like a long and winding road that saw no light of a proper end. If you wanted something truly impactful, I believe adapting the entire manga would have been a better choice, as its ending concluded the theme quite well. However, in both scenarios of a movie and TV series, they should only take the highlight moments of Cute Girls Doing Cute Things and encounters on the road, to portray on screen, for a better commentative purpose. The anime delivered some punches, but they held little weight within.
SgtBateManMar 29, 2022 9:49 PM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Mar 29, 2022 7:25 PM

Mar 2018
Fuck me that last episode hit, quite timely as well right now.

The way it evoked life before war was heart wrenching. This hit me more than other post-apoc animes like Texhnolyze or Ergo Proxy.

I'm really glad it was able to take advantage of it's setting and atmosphere to create a lasting finale, even though it took 11 (good but not great) episodes to get there.

This anime is a great reminder of the consequences war can have.

Probably the most borderline 9 for me in my 8's, last episode is masterful but the rest before it were good but not great Slice of Life vibes with a hint of deeper messages

8/10

edit:

SgtBateMan said:

Nah, in that way, they just made the adaptation feel like a long and winding road that saw no light of a proper end. If you wanted something truly impactful, I believe adapting the entire manga would have been a better choice, as its ending concluded the theme quite well. However, in both scenarios of a movie and TV series, they should have only took the highlight moments of Cute Girls Doing Cute Things and encounters on the road, to portray on screen, for a better commentative purpose. The anime delivered some punches, but they held little weight within.

After reading the Synopsis for Vol. 6 of the Manga, I can agree with this statement and it kinda has me wishing this was adapted to the last Vol as I felt it could have provided a more meaningful and impactful story. (Specifically with 'Last Stop')

Edit: After reading the last 2 Vols, I really wish they adapted all the way now, this could have easily been a 9 if they did
Celest__Apr 1, 2022 2:22 PM
Apr 22, 2022 12:34 PM
Nov 2020
That was a bizzare ending. I don't really like the fact that they just left it off like that. From what I've read somewhere manga said that it's impossible to leave the city, and since all the lower levels have been looted, I imagine they died of starvation sooner or later. Still, despite that, it was a good anime. Adorable artstyle, good animation, pretty good soundtrack, funny dialogue. It was really nice, but too short. Sucks how many good anime end after 12 episodes, I really want something more than that :(

8/10
Aug 16, 2022 12:42 PM
Dec 2018
Okay, so - I didn't cry as I expected but it was still pretty touching. But when those creatures said that Yuu and Chi may be the last humans... I just really hope that Kanazawa and Ishii are alright - even though girls will probably never see them again.

Also, not gonna lie, but I am kinda disappointed that I don't know what it is on the top level of the city. I know that the ending it's supposed to be open and up to interpretation... But still, I need to soothe my curiosity.

Btw. Is it only me or was the ending and the confession pretty gay?
Aug 17, 2022 10:02 PM

May 2015
I can see why some people love this show. At least for me, it didn't click as much. Most episodes felt like filler.
But I get that this is a moeblob slice of life with some dark themes on the side. So it's supposed to be that way in nature.
I think a 1hr:30min movie would have done a better job.
I'd choose Kemurikusa over this.
Sep 2, 2022 8:42 PM
Apr 2018
wholesome one.amazing atmosphere and narrative.
Sep 28, 2022 11:12 PM

Apr 2021
I didn't expect an actual backstory for the world. But seeing humanity destroying itself and having a way to restore balance to a world that is in ruins brings out the humanity in you. It's calming to know the world will be alright once your gone ^^"

10/10
Oct 8, 2022 4:21 PM

Aug 2021
man, i was going to end this with a 9 but it had such a powerful finale i had to give it a 10. what a series. going to remember this forever
Oct 31, 2022 3:12 PM
Jan 2021
CGDCT just made me depressed and question my existentialism, making me realise that everything would eventually come to an end and no one can do anything about it. :(

great show tho!! off to read the manga!
Nov 19, 2022 3:58 AM

Oct 2022
That got way way more existential than i ever expected, and way more grim. who knew my philosophical exploration of a ruined earth would bomb me with ACTUAL apocalypse and the end of the world.

I love it, but also, holy hell i was not prepared for that level of nihilism.

Nov 25, 2022 4:40 AM

Jul 2022
Now yes, here is the sadness that I did not feel, from the images and videos of what life was like before everything went to shit for humans, to where the living fungus begins to explain some things.

I already read what follows and well, the end is as expected, the most normal and natural thing that can be found in your situation. Loneliness.
Dec 16, 2022 11:50 PM

Jan 2010

Well, that took 4 years to finally finish.

I've seen and read a number of apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic stories in the past. Most of them revolve around the last vestiges of humanity surviving in villages, camps, and nomadic communities. They involve people using a mix of future tech and barbaric strategies to wage continued war against their neighbors, furthering humanity's apparent need to rush toward extinction. However, I haven't seen many that actually involve extinction, as that usually removes potential main characters to follow in a story. If that were the case, there would at times be aliens, an evolved animal species, or some other sentient being to follow around, reflecting upon humanity's history and legacy.

In the case of Girls' Last Tour, it seems like we actually get to watch the last two humans on Earth journey through a barren world, wondering how things became the way they are, and wondering what the future could possibly hold for themselves. According to those mushroom creatures, it seems like Kanazawa and Ishii might have either died or were lost somewhere deep in the city's ruins. Then again, the mushrooms don't seem to know much about the upper levels of the city, and it's uncertain if other countries might also have survivors.

Girls' Last Tour is a wonderful anime, carrying a melancholic charm that makes the show easy to watch, but difficult to take in. I found it strenuous to watch more than two episodes at a time, and I found myself wanting to break multiple times through my attempts at watching and rewatching the earlier episodes. The show is quite heavy in content, even though its general tone is lighthearted. Its atmosphere is incredibly heavy, and while Chi and Yuu help immensely to break tension and just have fun exploring their ruined world, it's hard to get over the depressing undertones of the show. I'm amazed at how many hands their camera has gone through, and I'm amazed at how it retained apparent decades worth of history. The montage of people happily living their lives, discovering new innovations in technology, embroiled in political conflict, and subsequently waging total warfare to the point of mutual annihilation actually got me leaning back out of astonishment.

Again, humanity bombing itself to ruins isn't a novel concept in fiction, but Yuu remarking how she understands Chi's interest in learning about the past got to me. It's not just about who the people of the past are, but it's how they lived and how they compare to the present. I'm reminded of the spiral stairway episode, where the girls compared life to ascending that stairway. Perhaps at the top, they'd find a new path to traverse. However, it's also possible that at the spiral's peak, the road simply ends. The girls can reflect on the past to assess their present, but they can't exactly predict the future with it. Looking through all the old photographs and videos gave a sense of humility and self-awareness, but it's a hollow feeling. For all that humanity has done, for all that humanity has accomplished, it's come down to Yuu and Chi looking back at a collection of historic media in a solitary camera. That's humanity's legacy: two girls in a ruined city with a camera.

This is a great series, and while I wish it could go on, I understand if it doesn't have the appeal to do so. Girls' Last Tour is slow, lacks a discernable plot, features very few characters, is driven by loads of dialogue and visual stills, and isn't particularly exciting to watch. That being said, it feels like everything I wanted Kino's Journey to be and more. It's atmospheric, thoughtful, charming, and has some of my favorite usages of silence in anime. Amazing stuff.
Dec 21, 2022 7:12 PM
Jul 2021
What an incredible series. Simple yet  poignant and heartwarming
This series reminds me why I used to love anime.
Jan 14, 2023 11:09 PM

Aug 2011
Of course the ones who'll greet us at the end of the world would be mushrooms! Man, this anime made me cry a lot, especially the last two eps. It gave me hope that perhaps at the end of the Anthropocene people can still chit chat and do simple and silly things together. 
desu desu binches
Jan 21, 2023 3:39 PM

Mar 2010
It got pretty gey at the end there. But honestly I could prolly consume another 12 episodes of their adventure. I want to see more of what the world building has to offer.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 15, 2023 11:28 AM

Aug 2022
This was a great ending.
Mar 23, 2023 4:11 PM

Apr 2019
This anime is proof that can make good anime in modern times, but they don't because they don't want to and prefer to mass produce garbage. It's a little flower in the middle of a garbage dump.
Aug 24, 2023 10:01 AM
Mar 2023
NO ME IMPORTA SI EL MUNDO SE ACABA,MIENTRAS TE TENGA A TI SOY FELIZ 😭
Aug 31, 2023 1:32 PM
Aug 2023
I was really emotional
Oct 30, 2023 11:37 PM

Nov 2022
I won't lie, this series really got me. The first episodes felt very cutesy slice of life while still maintaining somewhat that eery atmosphere you get with extreme solitude.

As it went on it really dialled that atmosphere up. It gradually introduced the idea that what we're watching is actually the last months of a doomed world.

The last episode has a bittersweet feeling of acceptance of the hopeless situation. The Earth was destroyed long ago, no longer able to support life, and humans will be extinct within a generation.
This may be the final quiet whimper of a dying world, but they choose to at least be happy that they have eachother at the end.

10/10
Feb 14, 4:56 PM
Jan 2022
The ending was kinda sad ngl
Feb 16, 4:43 PM
Oct 2021
i cried,amazin 10/10
Mar 19, 8:38 AM

Aug 2020
Keep preaching wherever you are, Killbay_Kun.

Mar 29, 12:45 AM
Oct 2019
Wow what a Finale!!

Holy shit that Camera flashbacks scene was really moving.
Japan start this war???
Fcking Human always the one who destroying our Earth?

OMG my body getting goosebumps when Yuu got eaten.
They done that scene very well.
Intense and very emotional.

So those things were Alieans eating any weapon and cleaning the earth so it could be restart again???

Damn i really thought we getting the ending, but looks like it only adapth only half of the Manga Chapter??

Season 2 when White Fox???

8/10
May 9, 10:45 PM

Dec 2022
That's quite the load of supernatural events it just unloads on the viewer in one episode, but I suppose that isn't unusual for anime endings.

It's easy to give this series credit for its visual direction: it impresses with the fidelity of its environmental backdrops and a meticulous attention to how the main pair interact with the objects and architecture they come across, bestowing them an immersive touch that allows the viewer to easily understand the situations the characters are in. Furthermore, there were some gags that could, on occasion, elicit a smirk with their sharp timing, despite their repetition.

On the other hand, it's more difficult to give it credit for worldbuilding or characterisation — both of these aspects were slapdash in execution, primarily because they were mostly absent. When the aforementioned factors did spring up, the series was frequently presenting them in very blatant, unsubtle ways. For example, there was a scene were Yuuri (who was already shown to be quite callous) gleefully created a blaze in the city after operating a military robot. You would think that such a scene would be a catalyst for inducing some doubt or insecurity in Chito, who would have a legitimate reason not to have unconditional trust in Yuuri's sanity after witnessing the destruction, but she instead settles for punching her once and never bringing it up again. One episode after that, we have the girls discovering a stranded submarine, only to be treated with a "poignant" and ultimately cliche montage of pre-apocalypse society with Chopin playing over it. This is treated as a fitting substitute for any other narrative vessel that could be used to clarify the context behind the current state of the world, but it instead comes across as a cheap, last minute attempt to compensate for a forgotten (and still unexplained) element of the narrative.

Guess I'm conflicted between my appreciation for the uniquely light-hearted atmosphere for what is typically a dismal setting and the clumsy approach the series takes to these more dreary realities of their circumstances when it does opt for addressing them; often through simplistic remarks on what the girls observe, or by having broad concepts like "life" manifest as a whimsy protocol that dictates either Yuuri or Chito's actions for the rest of the scene. This anime has a some noticeable merits going for it, so I can't be overly critical, but I'm not sure what to take away from its nebulous messaging.

Shaded Horizon

May 14, 4:20 AM
Oct 2021
what a good last episode, bring us tears!!
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2017

132 by CerisGyan »»
May 11, 8:35 PM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2017

125 by Archean-Return »»
May 9, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2017

168 by Archean-Return »»
May 9, 6:58 PM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2017

129 by Archean-Return »»
May 9, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

vicexxv - Oct 2, 2017

255 by Archean-Return »»
May 9, 3:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.