Yesterday, on a creative whim, I put out a new type of post on our Facebook page that asked followers to consider a simple hypothetical: What if anime characters used MAL? For our trial run, I picked our rank #13 character that many anime fans feel an affinity with: Hachiman Hikigaya. And let's just say it was far more entertaining than I'd expected.
Here's what his anime list might include, according to shares and comments from our followers:
- Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
- Koe no Katachi
- Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai
- Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV)
- Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!
One fan went the extra mile, adding a 3/10 score for Bunny Girl Senpai, Classroom of Elite, and Hyouka with the hypothetical comment, "The main characters remind me myself, but they are ikemen so fk them."
Everybody Loves References
"Anyone who has read the light novels knows that it will be so full of sh*t, the insane amount of references to other franchises is insane." A number of astute fans pointed out some of the most notable:
- Aikatsu! and Precure -- Said he cried while watching them
- Death Note
- Dragon Ball
- JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken (TV) -- Quote from the anime: "Just as Stand Users attract other Stand Users"
- Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen
- Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear -- "He said he wants to be a 🐻 in his next life"
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Naruto and One Piece -- His favourite manga
- Sword Art Online
- Tenki no Ko
And many, many more...
The number of people who answered this was both concerning and hilarious.
"Because he has 'things' for beautiful looking boys"
And this one came from a single commenter.
As for his own anime, Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.? There was both "he would never watch it" and "he would give it a 10/10"!
Did they get it right? What do you think would be on Hachiman's anime list?