Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2023 9:00 AM

Nov 2011
Slaves in this show truly has suffers a lot and seems they just want nothing more than freedom. 

Not going to lie, I like the way the music is used this episode to make some of the scenes feel more human and emotional. This is especially true for children, whose lives are affected when they were just so young. It's a scary world to be in...

May 2020
Einar, man like I understand your rage, but calm the hell down as thoughtlessly jumping between a conflict without even an idea of who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong will only make things much more worse, and in this case not only for Arnheid but for Einar himself too, as this time it wouldn’t perhaps work out the way as it did back in the conflict with the retainers. Nevertheless, Snake stopped Gardar and apprehended him for the time being, kind of an obvious outcome knowing Snake’s calibre.  

Arnheid’s backstory, and unsurprisingly it isn’t much different from any of the characters in this series, being the victim of vikings wickedness. She lost her son that way, though one may argue that would never have happened if her husband Gardar and other men of the village wouldn’t have left the village just to settle a power dispute over land, but it was what it was, just cruel fate in play. Though now being determined to not repeat the history, she, who’s now pregnant with Ketil’s child, convinced Einar to not pursue any of her matters with Gardar anymore. 

That being said, she decided to let go and see Gardar herself… you know that won’t end well. Liked the original content with Sverkel and Arnheid's extended conversation.

Jun 2019
Damn... what did the horse do? Snake. Gardar is here to take his wife back but it's not that easy. Snake is a strong one. He isn't gonna go down that easy. And, it was pretty easy for Snake. Poor Einar wanted to help Arnheid by freeing her from this place but he's not strong enough for that. I felt so bad for Arnheid. She doesn't deserve all this. Arnheid's backstory added so much to her character. It was so sad to see her suffer. They even took her child. :'(

She has suffered so much. So... she wants to do everything this time for her child that she's bearing right now. Does Ketil know? I feel so bad for Arnheid and so does the old man. They added original stuff for him. Nice. He can't do anything for her which is sad. What a great episode once again. Quite an emotional one. It keeps getting better and better.
Apr 10, 2023 9:55 AM
May 2021
Another amazing ep omfgg, Vinlad Saga is amazingly so fckn good!! Peak writer, peak everything!!
Apr 10, 2023 10:03 AM

Apr 2014
Man. This hurts too much. I understand what Einar is trying to do. But he will only get his butt handed. Heck Thorfinn is smart on that. Arnheid even tells Thorfinn and Einar about herself. Dear me dude. Even if you wait out the storm, it leaves scars behind.
Apr 10, 2023 10:11 AM

Feb 2019
Man words can’t express how I’m feeling after this. This was cinema in the purest sense of the word. An emotionally gut wrenching and powerful episode.

The face Einar made when he found out Arnheid was pregnant.. I’m sick for bro lol.

In the end Arnheid wasn’t able to take her own advice :/ . Opting instead to not live in regret like the old master. Honestly neither choice is wrong. It’s really just the world that’s so cruel.

next week is going to be another cinematic masterclass.
Marinate1016Apr 10, 2023 10:20 AM
Apr 10, 2023 10:18 AM

Jul 2017
The escapee slave of Gardar meeting his wife Arnheid, and it's clear that she's distraught with fear, knowing of their son Hjalti's outcome. Snake (with Fox) comes to save her out of his hands, and Einar wants to help, but he's the worst person to charge into the situation thinking that Arnheid could be free...if he could deal with Snake and his retainers, and unfortunately, Gardar came up short on trying to rescue Arnheid. This is too much to bear for Einar, but the reality is that the deranged Gardar killed someone and plans to kidnap Arnheid away from Ketil.

Einar, obviously not done with the entire fiasco, attempts to free Gardar in the dead of night, but the fact remains that Gardar lost his mind, a far cry from his past parental family self, which he has treated Arnheid and her son well back in Sweden. Back in those days, it was a peace-loving nature...until the English came to seek and steal the lost, including their newborn son Hajlti. What happened to Gardar can only be amounted to stress levels from that day of revenge, and even worse, being pregnant with Ketil's child, Arnheid would want this life more than any other, and waiting for the storm to pass. The old geezer is more of the same, seeing his son Ketil grow up the same, only to be met with the same fate with his deceased wife.

The wind breeze flows, and the ebb of life flows ever windingly, thinking of nothing but sufferings. Such an emotional episode.
Apr 10, 2023 10:23 AM

Feb 2012
What an episode.

"The storm" wants his former life back.
Remember the stab wound Gadar had when he revolted against Kjallakr. Snake notices Gadar's movements exploits it to his advantage.
Arnheid...another whose life was ruined by senseless conflict. Thorfinn can empathise. Hjalti's long gone, even if Arnheid were free, she must be thinking how Gadar would react to the child she's had with Ketil.
Ooh, this was an unexpected addition.
Sverkel gives his perspective on Arnheid's words through his own story.
Fortress_MaximusApr 10, 2023 1:08 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 10, 2023 10:26 AM
Oct 2016
Gardar unleashes his full fury after seeing someone stand in the way of saving his wife. Totally badass fight between Snake and Gardar. Snake wanting to take him alive so he can answer some questions. Gardar has become this engulfing rage monster since the last time Arnheid saw him. The animation looked crisp when Gardar was jabbing his sword at him. Snake easily wrapping up the fight once he could see Gardar was injured, taking advantage of that makes the fight so much smoother. Einar having strong conviction wanting to help Arnheid and Gardar. Thorfinn having to hold him back asking if Einar can take a life is a powerful scene. Its more complicated than just swinging that axe, the weight of taking a life has to measured before rushing in.

Arnheid telling the story of her past was heartbreaking. Something that occurred too often in the Viking conquests. Attacking villages as the men were away, selling the women into slavery and stealing the children to become future soldiers in their Viking groups. Arnheid experienced true suffering having her child ripped from her arms. Gardar did what he thought right facing the storm head on but that turned put to be the wrong choice. While the story we hear from Sverkel where he waited for the storm to pass and that was the wrong choice too. His words to Arnheid are very true, even if you wait for the storm to pass you'll still be hurt by it. Sometimes we have to go directly into the storm to make things better.
Apr 10, 2023 10:28 AM

May 2020
arnheilds backstory was pretty sad
Einar cant get a win man
first he finds out arnheild has a husband and then that she is pregnant 

Apr 10, 2023 10:51 AM

Jun 2014
Pour one out for the homie Einar, first it's back shots from Ketil, then it turns out Arnheid is already a married woman, and now it's revealed that she's pregnant with Ketil's child? Damn man, he really just can't catch a break. 

At first I thought Gardar was abusive toward Arnheid based on her reaction to him showing up, but her very emotional backstory showed it was quite the opposite. They had a happy peaceful life before everything got turned upside down. Hearing her crying out for her son as she was being dragged away had me tearing up, the pain in her voice was gut-wrenching. 

It was cool to get a little more characterization for Gramps. Even though she said she was going to wait out "the storm," it looks like Arnheid is saying fuck it and plans to confront it directly. I can't wait to see how that turns out. 
thebrentinator24Apr 10, 2023 10:54 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 10, 2023 11:00 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Hm. Hard life for the slaves ofc. Humanity is just a big mess lol.
Always the same stupid violence, it gets boring.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Apr 10, 2023 11:07 AM

Mar 2020
Suffering. Pure suffering was the theme of this episode, it brought Thorfinn to tears, and almost brought me there as well. A very emotionally heavy episode with the backstory of Arnheid and her family, along with a short story from Sverkel's past as well. With Gardar back, and captured by Snake, Einar was conflicted and angry, since they were taking away Arnheid's husband, but him thoughtlessly jumping into a conflict he knows nothing about wouldn't make sense at all, so I'm glad Arnheid and Thorfinn stopped him.

With the backstory, it showed us how brutal the world of vikings was, and continues to be. Everyone's power hungry, and with that consuming their brains, it drives them to make decisions that a lot of the times, comes with unthinkable consequences. Arnheid was a victim of this, so she doesn't want history to repeat itself, as it was revealed that she was pregnant with Ketil's child. The hypocrisy comes in as even though she stopped Einar, she couldn't stop herself from intervening, and we all know that will not end well. This show just gets better and better.
Apr 10, 2023 11:07 AM

May 2021
The music in this episode was incredible.
Apr 10, 2023 11:08 AM

Sep 2014
Beautifully tragic episode. Those two flashback stories hit really hard.

Arnheid albeit reluctant because of her being pregnant and wishing to save her child this time, she still decided to go see Gardar again. This won't end well.
Apr 10, 2023 11:11 AM

Apr 2014
The soundtrack of this episode was outstanding. Can't believe we're already at episode 14 and Vinland Saga keeps getting better and better with each episode.

Really liked how Snake handels Gardar with the back of his sword so he didn't kill him. Also the backstory of Arnheid was quite heavy.

The 'storm' that is brewing will hopefully reaches it's peak in the near future, can't wait to see it all play out
Apr 10, 2023 11:16 AM

Jul 2014
What a peak episode damn. I hope she goes back to be with her husband and forget about Ketil's child, her husband deserves it
Apr 10, 2023 11:17 AM

Nov 2016
Now this was a depressing episode....

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 10, 2023 11:22 AM

Jan 2019
Just simply wait for the storm to pass, how easy can it be? Not so easy it seems...
Tragic episode.
Apr 10, 2023 11:32 AM

May 2016
Man the direction of this season is too fkn OP. everything feels perfect.
Apr 10, 2023 11:53 AM
Aug 2022
feeling sad for Einar
first he got to know that she's married
then he got to know she had a child
then he got to know that she's PREGNANT RIGHT NOW!!!!
Apr 10, 2023 11:57 AM
Feb 2023
Tanslay said:
feeling sad for Einar
first he got to know that she's married
then he got to know she had a child
then he got to know that she's PREGNANT RIGHT NOW!!!!

Yeah Einar is a really good character but I feel sorry for Arnheid the most,her screams for her baby got me:(
Apr 10, 2023 12:11 PM

Jan 2018
Holy shit. That fight between Snake and Gardar was amazing.

Man, I feel so bad about Einar. First Arnheid turned out to have a husband and now it's revealed she's also pregnant with the Master's child. But I gotta give him credit that his immediate reaction was to get Arnheid's freedom back however it's possible.

I feel even worse about Arnheid. She went through hell and back. Now that she was living a relatively peaceful life, suddenly she's thrust into a position where she has to make a choice. A choice where no outcome feels right. Absolutely gut-wrenching.

Peakland Saga continues.
Dec 2021
lmao einar is a cuck
Apr 2018
This show is too good! I can't do this week to week thing anymore man..
Apr 10, 2023 12:16 PM

Dec 2015
What a fucking well written episode man. Seriously it's amazing the disparity in quality from this show compared to other anime, and that's because it's on a "tangent" and the conflict the story is teasing hasn't started yet. If it somehow gets even better, easily will be on my Top 3 for sure
Apr 10, 2023 12:35 PM

Sep 2020
This episode made me cry 😭.
Apr 10, 2023 12:40 PM

Jul 2022
peakland saga never misses man, sad arnheid story
but when r ketil and the other gon be back man??
Apr 10, 2023 12:44 PM

Nov 2020
And some episodes before I really thought that we can see the future in the opening and that Einar somehow will free Arnheid and raise Ketil's baby🤡 I had a feeling that I was delusional though, after seeing Garnar, but still...

I felt sorry for Einar so much in this episode, he is such a nice guy. But I felt sorry mostly for Arnheid, she is such a strong and lovely woman! She went through a lot but still was very positive and laughing with Einar and Thorfinn when they met in the morning and all... I had no idea her backstory can be more traumatizing.
It's just an anime but thinking about this might happened in real life years ago when vikings was a thing got me really emotional.
Apr 10, 2023 12:47 PM

Apr 2018
Einar has the rage, but not the strenght to do what he wants to do. Well, Gardar was her husband who went to fight and probably got captured and sold as a slave later on. Same goes for Arnheid, who also lost her son. He got enough reasons to be mad. He got his ass smacked by Snake though, it seems like his wouds were worse than I thought.
Which led to a whole backstory which will lead her to him once again.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Apr 10, 2023 12:49 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Good lord, my heart goes out to Arnheid-san. 
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 10, 2023 12:49 PM
Aug 2016
What a emotionally powerful backstory focused episode :'(

Gardar tries to save Arnheid by trying to overpower Snake, but Snake finds out his sweet spot for injury and hits exactly there with the non-sharp end of his sword. 

Arnheid is traumatized by Gardar's appearance and is sobbing. Fast forward to the night, and Arnheid tells her full backstory. How she and Gardar along with their son Hjalti lived a peaceful life in Sweden, how the men in their village agreed to go to war over iron, and finally how the Vikings attacked right when there were no men. 

The most painful part was when she tells Hjalti died and she starts crying, oof that was a real punch in the gut. You could feel her emotions :'( 
The best thing in the scene though is Thorfinn empathizing with Arnheid's pain, very well realizing what she went through was so horrible. That's some peak character development right there.

Fast forward ahead to later in the night, we see conversation between Sverkel and Arnheid. Sverkel tells Arnheid about his story of how he sold out a girl (who Ketil loved) for marriage just to protect his own skin. That was unexpected, and gives a new perspective on Sverkel as a person, as a character. In that context, Sverkel also says

"Even if you can wait out the storm, it leaves scars behind."

Episode ends with Arnheid leaving to tend to her husband Gardar, now tied up by Snake and his men.

5/5 episode. Oh boy, I feel this may not end up well for Arnheid and Gardar. I just hope whatever happens, Thorfinn and Einar come out safe. 
KoustubhApr 10, 2023 4:24 PM
Apr 10, 2023 1:15 PM

Jul 2020
Too bad Gardar got defeated so quickly, I've been hoping to see him at least kick some more ass since last week. Very emotional episode full of reminiscences. Also I just love how the old man treats slaves like people, such an honorable man, way ahead of his time.
Apr 10, 2023 1:20 PM
Jun 2021
Another episode that ended so fast, its just to short. Anyways getting with the story, the stuff i predicted from the opening about Gardar and Arnheid's past was kinda accurate, the backstory was also really sad. Thorfinn stopping Einar from making rash decisions and also shedding a tear about Arnheid's past. Sverkel telling about the past and also the decisions he had to make which was another reason for Arnheid to not hide from the storm.
Apr 10, 2023 1:50 PM

Feb 2014
Snake simply made that fight look way too easy, considering how ferocious Gardar is as an opponent. Either way, at least that fight is over, but the suffering and sadness of this story was only going to get stronger.

Arnheid's backstory of when she was happily living with Gardar and their young son was nice to begin with, but it ended with the familiar tragedy. When the men of the village went away to fight, the Vikings went in without any resistance and the village pretty much ceased to exist. Hearing Arnheid screaming out in futile desperation as her son was taken away was a really sad sight to see. =(

Same goes for the backstory told by Sverkel, explaining how Ketil had to give up on his love as their farm wasn't strong enough to resist Ebbe, only for him to be killed off on his own wedding ceremony. Not only that, but Arnheid confirms that she's having Ketil's baby, which is yet another hammer blow to poor Einar.

This was a pretty sad, but excellent episode overall. With the way the story is going, I don't think the storm is going to let up anytime soon.
Apr 10, 2023 2:16 PM

Apr 2021
Damn, that piano OST gives me goosebumps.
yedoostApr 10, 2023 2:27 PM
Apr 10, 2023 2:29 PM

Jan 2009
being a woman on those old times is suffering

thats why feminism is still needed
Apr 10, 2023 3:10 PM

Sep 2017
Man is there anyway in this show who doesnt have a history filled with violence lol. Well this went better than I was expecting overall but I still worry for Arnhied in the short term. And Ketil and the gang are gonna show up eventually.
Apr 10, 2023 3:13 PM
Aug 2020
I enjoyed every sec, everything is just perfect.

I didn’t understand what Einar was trying to prove…
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Apr 10, 2023 3:17 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Pain-and-suffering-land saga

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 10, 2023 3:19 PM

Jul 2009
Pre_Yum said:
Damn... what did the horse do? 
So true, I overlooked it because people always be killing poor horses even in war but this isn't even war. The REWARD for catching him was 3 horses and he so easily killed one? Plus this whole farming arc made it clear how important and useful horses are. He really didn't have to kill the poor thing. Especially since Gadar wasn't going to run away for long without Arnheid. There had to be a chance to get him without killing the horse.
Apr 10, 2023 3:46 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Well don't try to be attached or to love anyone, this era is doomed
Apr 10, 2023 4:05 PM

Jun 2022
I am not sure what I think Einar should do. I can understand why he wants to rescue Gardar but he shouldn’t be reckless.
Apr 10, 2023 5:27 PM
Oct 2019
jas-samaaa said:
Another amazing ep omfgg, Vinlad Saga is amazingly so fckn good!! Peak writer, peak everything!!

i agree, this amazing is go fucking good 10/10
Apr 10, 2023 5:30 PM

Mar 2019
THe new OP/ED songs are very good...

But the music/score..... another GOD level..

Even better.
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Apr 10, 2023 5:42 PM
Jan 2023
otakuweek said:

Einar is trying his best to make Arnheid free, since she told him she belongs to the master. It's pretty logical decision to do that
Apr 10, 2023 5:47 PM

Apr 2022
that was quite a painful episode. arnheid being pregnant with ketil's son, damn. feel for her previous kid too, it looked nice there. 
women of vinland saga ain't getting no happiness.
Apr 10, 2023 5:54 PM
Aug 2020
ogking31 said:
otakuweek said:

Einar is trying his best to make Arnheid free, since she told him she belongs to the master. It's pretty logical decision to do that

Logical to get killed???

Before to see the husband, he said that he wanted to buy her if it’s possible. Why do you watch ep 14 if you didn’t watch the previous episodes???
Apart from that, he wants to help the husband who did bad things and she told him after, that she is pregnant. So Einar almost get killed for no good reasons…
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Apr 10, 2023 6:45 PM

Jul 2015
This is fucking CINEMA! breathtaking episode again!
Apr 10, 2023 7:46 PM
Jun 2022
I wish MAPPA could do better with the animation…
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2023

380 by VibinRenji »»
Yesterday, 11:01 AM

Poll: » Do you think Thorfinn's worldview is viable?

Shizuna - May 24

27 by zeidXD »»
Yesterday, 4:54 AM

Poll: » Who is the most handsome Vinland Saga man?

Shizuna - May 24

19 by Genesis007AUT »»
May 26, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

489 by Huperchild »»
May 21, 7:33 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2023

251 by phantom346 »»
May 21, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.