Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 30, 2023 8:00 AM

Nov 2011
Hell of an episode this episode. Some segments looked like something straight from hell.

Some of the psychological struggles characters goes through is insane. Also, it's incredible that [font="\"Google Sans\", Roboto-medium, arial, sans-serif-medium, sans-serif"]Thorfinn [/font]can maintain such a form in this timeline. Perhaps Einar can learn a thing or two from him with a world of such uncertainty. 
Jan 30, 2023 8:00 AM

May 2020
It doesn’t take a minute for the same kinds to realize each other's capability, and so it happened when Snake and Thorfinn came face to face. Just an attacking stance and Thorfinn was already dodging Snake, as if it were to be his reflex action. That’s just the way he was brought up, that’s just the way Askeladd led him on since he was a kid. Though the bottom line, if it wasn’t for Snake the duo might not have made it out alive from that mockery of a trial.

Can’t blame Einar for feeling all sorts of emotions and above all resentment for Thorfinn since he made it clear he used to be a warrior back in the days, after all the ones blamed for his current circumstances are those same “warriors”. They made it all more impactful with those flashbacks which I doubt was in the manga to this extent. Thorfinn’s nightmares may not end anytime soon, but one thing for sure, Einar won’t ever try to choke him to death again.

Glimpse of Canute in the end.
Softhenic03Jan 30, 2023 8:03 AM
Jan 30, 2023 9:03 AM

Aug 2021
Dude was this even 20 minutes?! It literally felt like 5-10 minutes.

I also felt like this episode was a bit less in content but I feel like next week will be full of goodies! Already can’t wait :D

Jan 30, 2023 9:03 AM

Jul 2017
Snake comes in to stop Fox's tyrannical slashing of Thorfinn, and said master tries against said slave, the same way of echoing Askeladd's moves. No more behind-the-scenes betrayal against the master retainer, and Thorfinn has a fighting chance of living, but doing what?

The retainers' "misbehavior" almost getting both Thorfinn and Einar killed, now Pater is aware of the situation at hand thanks to Arnheid. Despite Einar being grumbling of Thorfinn's silence, the former decides to follow the latter, continuing work, and questioning of his warrrior history before being a slave, which are many during Season 1.

The one who has participated in wars, and the one who hated wars, Einar finds himself at a loggerhead situation if he could ever trust Thorfinn, who is facing the vestiges of his own nightmares (this is anime-original, which makes the impact feel hundred-fold). Einar always waking Thorfinn up when he has nightmares, and even though the hatred is there, it feels like Thorfinn's life has hit snag after snag of killing people, and Einar is that person to change his life around of something good.

An impactful episode, this is one that has the context changed from the manga, but I feel that the anime is definitely building upon the greatness of it, carving its own path.

The glimpse of Canute at the end, things are about to come together, slowly.
Jan 30, 2023 9:04 AM

Jan 2019
Yeah, this episode was a masterpiece. Hands, fucking, down.
Jan 30, 2023 9:04 AM
May 2021
Beautiful ep, painland saga man!!
Jan 30, 2023 9:06 AM

Oct 2017
His body wants to live eh, that scene was good. Was that Canute at the end?
Jan 30, 2023 9:20 AM

Jun 2015
MegamiRem said:
His body wants to live eh, that scene was good. Was that Canute at the end?
Yup, the one and only
Jan 30, 2023 9:21 AM
Feb 2018
Goddamn that was beautiful, the OST is so damn good as well, just elevates each scene.
Jan 30, 2023 9:21 AM

Jun 2015
The scene with Thorfinn's sleep and Einar was considerably different from the manga, almost as if Einar had a completely different personality. Chapter 60 if anyone is interested
Jan 30, 2023 9:25 AM

Feb 2019
That nightmare scene was amazing. I also like the change with Einar when Thorfinn was sleeping, it fits his backstory really well. 5\5 episode. 
Jan 30, 2023 9:25 AM

Jan 2019
Switch_Z said:
The scene with Thorfinn's sleep and Einar was considerably different from the manga, almost as if Einar had a completely different personality. Chapter 60 if anyone is interested

I know, but it was still amazing. Says a lot about the passion behind this shows direction
Jan 30, 2023 9:30 AM
Oct 2017
Great episode, i was on the edge of my seat for the einar and thorfinn scene. 

Plus, the song used during their conversation really caught my attention, i have to find the song.
Jan 30, 2023 9:32 AM

Feb 2019
Facial expressions are the phrase of the day for this episode.

From the very start with Thorfinn’s body reacting on its own to snake’s attack, that look of surprise on his face. That thought that “maybe I don’t really want to die, maybe there’s more I have to do, but what?”

Then Einar and Thorfinn’s scene from chapter 60 which they changed a bit for the anime but I like it. The sheer anger and hatred on Einar’s face, shifting to pity for thorfinn. The terror on Thorfinn’s face about the past and the ghosts that just won’t let him rest.

Finally, that look of exasperation and pure shock on Thorfinn’s face when einar told him about the people who are doing kind things for them and that thorfinn should be grateful. Awesome.

MAPPA did a phenomenal job with this episode. I’m so glad to see farmland being so well received this early. Wondered how western fans would take it and looks great so far.

Canute next week let’s gooo
Marinate1016Jan 30, 2023 9:37 AM
Jan 30, 2023 9:33 AM

Jan 2017
What a beautiful episode! This season has some really impactful emotional moments with Thorfinn and his struggles, this nightmare scene was powerful. Such a masterpiece of a show.
Jan 30, 2023 9:33 AM

Mar 2020
Wow, that was a very impactful and emotional episode. I heard that some aspect of the nightmare scene was anime-original, but even so, it elevated the impact of Thorfinn's past even more. I have been enjoying the interactions between Thorfinn and Einar a lot, and Einar's disdain for war was seen, but even though Thorfinn participated in the Danish invasion of England, Einar sees past the surface and treats him well anyway, while trying to break him out of his dark place. It really feels like Einar is going to be the one that can give some light to Thorfinn's life, and simple things, like waking him out of a nightmare, can be so impactful. The moment where Thorfinn thanked Einar for waking him was quite wholesome, and it shows that he can change for the better, with time.

It looks like in the next episode, we will see Canute and Thorkell again, and I'm definitely excited for what's coming.
Jan 30, 2023 9:36 AM

Apr 2014
Everything about this episode was outstanding, a true masterpiece in animation. Felt like a 10-minute episode and yet it also felt like a hour long. Can't wait to see what's Canute been up to next week
Jan 30, 2023 9:37 AM
Nov 2020
might be a hot take but I've been reading along the anime to compare and I honestly think the anime is better
Jan 30, 2023 9:39 AM

Nov 2016
Thorfinn's body responding to a real warrior spoke for itself. Such a great display.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 30, 2023 9:40 AM
Oct 2016
Hard lessons for both Thorfinn and Einar. The former having his first brush with the man named Snake. More or less saving Thorfinn life by stopping Fox and the rest from slaughtering him. Snake awakening the fight inside Thorfinn, getting that flash of Askeladd when Snake lunged his sword. Thorfinn mind might be broken but his body still remembers how to fight. His mental state is in taters but his instincts are sharp as ever. Thorfinn does have the will to live its just locked away beneath his guilt and self loathing. Einar putting two and two together that no ordinary person could've defended themselves from Snake attacks. He realizes that Thorfinn must've seen battle before being a slave.

Props to Einar directly asking Thorfinn about it though, getting straight to the point of how many people Thorfinn killed and who he fought with. Thorfinn telling him that he was with the Danish army that invaded England. The same broad group that destroyed Einar village both times. Even if Thorfinn himself wasn't directly there its easy to understand why Einar would her viscerally upset by learning this. Einar has his own guilt about his mother and sister dying in front of him that he still hasn't processed. So his action to choke Thorfinn while he sleeps is probably gonna get people upset but I understand why he did that. After learning that Thorfinn was a part of the group that destroyed his life I don't see Einar negatively for almost killing Thorfinn right then. As I said Einar hasn't processed his own guilt yet so he saw killing Thorfinn as a way to make up for not protecting his mother and sister. But of course Einar couldn't go through with it, hes too good of a person to do that especially since Thorfinn didn't kill Einar family himself or even close. Einar is just racked with guilt and doesn't know what to do. He can see that Thorfinn is struggling himself and we even see the horrible nightmares Thorfinn experiences dealing with his personal guilt too.

There's a lot of trauma between these two men. Einar telling Thorfinn that the only reason they're both still alive is because others sacrificed for them is spot on. Thorfinn says nothing good has happened his whole life but Einar knows that's not true because he's still alive and made it this far. So someone at some point laid down and let Thorfinn go ahead while that person protected him. Einar is spot on and it made me tear up thinking about it. If you've made it this far through the pain, suffering and hardship then that means you've survived due to the goodwill of others. Even if you don't want to keep living for yourself you have to keep living for them.
Jan 30, 2023 9:43 AM

Oct 2022
Thorfinn's still getting haunted from his past.

And damn is that Canute at the last scene, changed a lot.
Jan 30, 2023 9:46 AM
Jan 2023
Thorffin is the best mc
Jan 30, 2023 9:52 AM

Apr 2013
What a great episode. Snake's confrontation with Thorfinn was great, but the dream and barn sequence at the end of the episode between Thorfinn & Einar was outstanding. Voice acting and soundtrack made it that much better. And then we finish the episode with a Canute tease? Yes sir! (More Canute and Thorkell next week!)

Pacing may be slow and sometimes scenes last a bit longer than they should, but to me it just makes the weight of the situation and the interactions between characters that much better. My only nitpick from the episode was the storyboard transition of Snake yawning to saying he's going back to sleep in the opening scene; it felt like a weird comedic cut and could've been cleaner.
Jan 30, 2023 9:55 AM

Jan 2018
Man, the episode goes by so quickly. Every week it's the same.

That moment when Thorfinn saw Askeladd in Snake made me shiver.

The facial expressions were on point. And the voice acting for Einar and especially Thorfinn was simply stellar. I can't wait for next week.
Jan 30, 2023 9:56 AM

Jan 2009
strong AD work today lots of awesome close up drawings

Thorfinn is hopeless but he is not suicidal since he still got a working survival instinct
Jan 30, 2023 10:05 AM
Aug 2016
"EMOTIONAL DAMAGE" in Steven He's intonation is the best way to describe this episode. Lots of great animated moments, lots of strong and genuine emotion and most importantly, lots of character development.

We start with Snake once again punching Fox (Thank you Vinland Staff for giving the satisfying punch again 🙏), and Snake showing his authority in front of other guests to discipline them. He gives a stern warning to not do crazy shit like harming Thorfinn as only Olmar or Ketil are allowed to do so. He also tells them to put bandages on Thorfinn for their rude behaviour. Finally, before dismissing Thorfinn and Einar he throws a strong sword strike (possibly lethal) that Thorfinn dodges and proves his point that indeed Thorfinn wants to live otherwise he would not have dodged the lethal strike.

The scene then transitions to outside Pater's home (I guess?), where he applies medicine on Thorfinn's wounds and says that both Einar and Thorfinn are his responsibility. Pater then also proceeds to give one of his shirts (or cloth or whatever it is called) to Thorfinn, where possibly the best thing shown was Einar teaching Thorfinn to thank him (which turned out to be very crucial at the end of episode). Later in the woods while chopping timber, Einar gets to know that Thorfinn was a warrior in Danish army and has slaughtered countless innocent people.

The most hitting part of the entire episode, the one worth calling "EMOTIONAL DAMAGE" was the sleeping sequence in the barn. Einar, enraged by knowledge of Thorfinn's identity of the past, tries choking Thorfinn to death. At the same time, Thorfinn also has one of the nightmare dreams (one similar to previous episode) where he is contemplating killing countless people. An especially good callback was the English woman who did his hair. He had given signal to attack due to which the whole village was raided. Was that the right thing to do? Should he really have done that while trying to get revenge for his father? Was it really worth it just for a duel with Askeladd? As he is having his nightmarish dream, he is interrupted as Einar wakes him up by holding his hand. What followed next was truly a peak Seinen moment. Einar having a heart-to-heart with Thorfinn was really touching, telling him that it's not ok to just give up and die. He was survived by many people, so he should be grateful for that and not act spoiled. Another amazing moment was Thorfinn thanking Einar. Einar told him to thank Pater (which he probably didn't), but he remembered that well and made sure to say it at the right moment. Man, I love Thorfinn's character even more. Slowly and steadily, my boy is learning to be a good person ;_; 

The episode ends with Canute's appearance complemented with some good holy opera type OST. Next episode, "Path of Blood" seems like it will show Canute's side of things. We also saw Thorkell, so he also might come. Hyped up to see both again :D 

PS: I forgot to mention that it was Arnheid who went running to Pater after Fox and Badger took Thorfinn and Einar away, after which Pater took quick action to make the medicine. Good job Arnheid!

5/5 episode, 9.5/10 anime so far. It's really amazing. 
KoustubhJan 30, 2023 10:24 AM
Jan 30, 2023 10:06 AM
Dec 2021
Boring
level dropped.
Jan 30, 2023 10:09 AM

Jun 2014
Man, Thorfinn seeing Askeladd when Snake was about to strike him made me remember how much I miss that guy. One of the best characters in recent memory for me. 

That nightmare scene was incredible. Such a great way to showcase how Thorfinn's bloody past still haunts him and how he's unable to leave it behind. It was painful to see him screaming in his sleep like that. 

I don't blame Einar for almost strangling Thorfinn to death as he slept, I'm sure that after the convo they had in the forest, he saw Thorfinn as no different from the men who killed his family. He was blinded by rage in the heat of the moment.

That convo they had after settling down was powerful. These guys have a lot more in common than either of them might think, and their conversation showed that. These guys are flawed and broken, but they need to persevere and hold on to whatever hope they can. Amazing episode and I can't wait to see more old faces next week, like Canute and Thorkell. 
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 30, 2023 10:10 AM
Jul 2020
I had chills when Thorfinn saw Askeladd in Hebi and fought back. Was looking forward to this episode thinking we would finally see Thorfinn fight back but it was short.

Jan 30, 2023 10:16 AM

Feb 2012
Now that's an addition...

Snake tests Thorfinn and he sees his former boss, the rightful king of Britannia. Snake is unique amongst the other "guests" just as Askeladd was amongst his band. Where Fox failed, Snake ignites Thorfinn's flame to counter the attack, showing Thorfinn's defensive actions defy his words.
I lieu of some comedic panels not being adapted, we get him imagining Arnheid like this, at least. Thank you for letting my bro Einar have some happy scenes.

Einar finally inquires about the past Thorfinn had been hinting of in nightmares, skills and words. It's a harsh reality.
The match cut of the hay Einar sleeps upon to the grassy ground that was set alight when he was a kid. That reminder and Thorfinn's admittance sets Einar off.
What Thorfinn actually sees in his nightmares is surreal. Remember that Anglo-Saxon village he scouted? How many times has he been through similar battles...
Both of them came out of war and into slavery with different philosophies. The fact Thorfinn wasn't responsible for Einar's family dying is now something he says directly to Thorfinn. The ex-warrior learnt his lesson from earlier.
Can't believe in a single episode we were blessed with Askeladd and now the return of Cnut.
Fortress_MaximusJan 30, 2023 2:50 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 30, 2023 10:17 AM

May 2015
The fact Thorfinn reacted like that speaks a lot about Snake as well. No wonder Thorfinn didn't even bulge when the other guy was mocking him, he didn't sense any danger then, but just one glimpse at Snake's stance and old reflexed kicked in.

I loved this episode, it's so clear Thorfinn as depressed af and has nothing left to live for. Canute at the end, intriguing. Wish I could see more right away, this is so interesting.
Jan 30, 2023 10:17 AM
Dec 2019
Glad Einar was able to accept Thorfinn. Now they'll prob become better friends.
Jan 30, 2023 10:27 AM

Nov 2013
Anime of the year level of an episode.
Jan 30, 2023 10:34 AM
May 2016
My god was that episode real? That 2nd half was so phenomenally directed I actually felt my chest tighten up. Masterful art, animation, direction, OST usage, and the fucking voice acting performances! PEAK!
Jan 30, 2023 10:35 AM
Apr 2022
Verry very good MAPPA the goat
Jan 30, 2023 10:41 AM
Jan 2018
I rewatched the Snake and Thorfinn tussle three times before continuing the episode. What a scene! Which was followed by different, but equally impressive scenes. I'm not gonna stop pointing out how MAPPA isn't giving Vinland Saga season 1 level love. But this episode was largely anime original.

The love and care the writers and animators have for this show is on another level. I have 110% confidence that this season will be done justice, even if it doesn't match season 1 in the end. If.

So much raw, searing emotion. There was no way Einar could go through with killing Thorfinn. What do you gain by killing a husk that hates himself? It was so well done, Einar's journey from murderous rage to defeated self acceptance. And his speech showed so much while using so little. It makes me so happy that Golden Kamuy is returning to air at the same time as Vinland Saga. It's gonna be great comparing these two titans to see which show comes out on top.

I really can't wait for when Thorfinn and Thorkell meet again. I see a Vegeta and Gohan moment, if Thorfinn hasn't gotten on is new path, and it will be glorious.
Jan 30, 2023 10:42 AM
Aug 2022
I drew Einar and Thorfinn right after! Thoughts? :))
Jan 30, 2023 10:59 AM

Dec 2016
Ok it's 4th episode of this season so I finally need to ask when they will explain how Thorfinn become a slave? Because previous season ended on him screaming after Askeladd was killed by Kanut.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.98/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.166/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.88/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.65/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.54/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Jan 30, 2023 11:04 AM
Sep 2022
Fav episode so far this season. Really making me come around to Einar
Jan 30, 2023 11:15 AM
Nov 2021
great episode and nice building for the next one
Jan 30, 2023 11:19 AM
Feb 2022
One of my favorite episodes in the series so far, I'm officially depressed 😖
5/5 without a doubt, no question about it.

Edit: I watched it, like, 10 minutes ago, and I still haven't recovered.
Jan 30, 2023 11:21 AM

Sep 2014
Pretty good episode especially the second half. 

I was actually surprised that they made Einar giving in to temptation for a brief moment to actually kill Thorfinn in his sleep while in the manga he stopped after taking a few steps.

The anime-original nightmare for Thorfinn was also pretty spot-on. How can you not scream like a lunatic after seeing stuff like that?

Since they changed that Einar-Thorfinn moment, it also made sense that when Thorfinn asked Einar why he is waking him up from his nightmares the latter didn't claim he did that because they are friends just like in the manga. It would be pretty weird to state that after he was struggling him a few minutes ago.

It feels like MAPPA is taking away some of the comedic segments and makes everything more grim. Same thing happened in the premiere when Einar briefly escaped and stole food. It was funny in the manga but in the anime that wasn't the case.
Jan 30, 2023 11:23 AM
Apr 2018
That nightmare sequence was incredibly depicted
Jan 30, 2023 11:24 AM
Aug 2016
Novizenpe said:
Great job man! Both drawings look cool :D 
Jan 30, 2023 11:25 AM
Jun 2021
-Geweigerd- said:
Dude was this even 20 minutes?! It literally felt like 5-10 minutes.

I also felt like this episode was a bit less in content but I feel like next week will be full of goodies! Already can’t wait :D

i feel this with every episode, they just pass by waaay to quicky
Jan 30, 2023 11:39 AM
May 2022
Loved the episode!
Jan 30, 2023 11:40 AM
Dec 2021
another amazing episode.The face off between thorfinn and snake and thorfinn body wanting to live.Thorfinn Revealing that he was a warrior to Einar.Einar was really about to kill thorfinn but stop after sometime.we got a glimpse of canute that the end
Jan 30, 2023 11:42 AM
Aug 2022
Koustubh said:
Novizenpe said:
Great job man! Both drawings look cool :D 

Thx sm!<3 I’m a girl btw ;)
Jan 30, 2023 11:43 AM
Feb 2022
Novizenpe said:

These are incredible 👏
Jan 30, 2023 11:56 AM
Apr 2022
it's just the best init
SOINDS OF EVERYTHING
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

489 by Huperchild »»
May 21, 7:33 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2023

248 by phantom346 »»
May 21, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2023

213 by phantom346 »»
May 21, 1:58 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 15, 2023

149 by LotteGiants »»
May 16, 4:26 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2023

375 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
May 16, 12:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.