Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 16, 2022 12:04 AM
Mar 2021
what do you guys think about the movie?
Sep 16, 2022 4:54 AM
Aug 2015
The meta level of the movie was really good. I liked it
Sep 16, 2022 5:35 AM
Mar 2022
It was incredible ❤️
Sep 16, 2022 5:37 AM
Jan 2022
character were cool good movie
Sep 16, 2022 7:20 AM

Apr 2020
Really good animation and characters but somewhat lacking plot. Better than Bubble for sure. 7/10
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Sep 16, 2022 12:16 PM
Sep 2020
I really loved the film. it has its own uniqueness of characters. The art speaks as beautiful as Makoto Shinkai's films! Like the main setting set in an ocean, it's quite deep. It showed, for me, how children would think based on the environment they were raised upon. Such that, why they think their actions are what they are because of how they were raised. like the interaction and diversity of the characters: from fighting to helping one another survive. The show would've been a 10 if Noppo would've been given a slightly better character development. Overall, I enjoyed it.
Sep 16, 2022 4:00 PM

Jan 2021
cool movie, music was nice as well
Sep 16, 2022 7:14 PM

Aug 2012
Cestlavie_ said:
Animation and Visuals were good
but other than that this movie is pretty forgettable, the plot was meh and quite a few unexplained things, like how they ended up in sea and what those plant creatures really are.

That is quite easy to understand. They ended up in the sea because it is a kind of heaven of building. The creatures are the personification of the soul of the building.
Sep 16, 2022 7:58 PM

Aug 2020
Oh god these kids annoyed the hell out of me. But other than that the sound, plot? and animation was pretty gooood imo

A solid 6/7 out of ten movie overall, the characters were just annoying
It was inevitable...
Sep 16, 2022 9:39 PM

Feb 2016
Good movie, not that special, just normal.
Is it just me expecting they are actually died because building collapsing so they go to heaven together with buildings? lol. or they just coping after seeing Natsume dies from the fall. Happy ending somewhat unsatisfying since it didn't answer what actually happen on real world.
Sep 17, 2022 1:46 AM
Jan 2020
What a bunch of dramatic ass elementary schoolers
Sep 17, 2022 2:21 AM

Apr 2017
It's not life changing but it is OKAY imo.
Love the idea but I think the execution or the storytelling is terrible.
//cruellime Steam Signature - SteamId for cruellime, real name bakachi mochii
Sep 17, 2022 5:44 AM
Jun 2019
Each building having their own character design was such a cool concept.

Though I did find it a bit odd when they also gave cancer a character design and named it Reina.

Movie was a visual spectacle and I was glued to the story the whole way through. Definitely recommendable.
Sep 17, 2022 6:50 AM

Apr 2009
I think the buildings are the kami of the Shinto religion. Anyhow I thought it was just OK, completely forgettable after you watch it.

6/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Sep 17, 2022 10:01 AM
Aug 2022
I love the friendship between Kousuke & Natsume.
Sep 17, 2022 12:58 PM

Apr 2020
I wish I had a friend like Taishi
I don't know how signatures work

Sep 17, 2022 1:43 PM

Jan 2020
The best part about this was probably the visuals. The art and animation was consistently good. There were quite a few transition scenes and backgrounds that really struck me. All-in-all it suited the story and added to the adventure and whimsy.

My initial interest in this stemmed from the premise. I found the idea to be rather interesting, and neat. So I watched it. It was a pretty simple story about rebuilding friendship. My main complaint is that I wish they had spent some more time explaining things. I still am not entirely sure why Nippo was, essentially, the progenitor of this adventure. Other than him being the personification of their apartment, why specifically is he creating this journey? Why is a building so invested in its residents?

The voice acting was good, but some of the BG seemed odd at times, almost taking me out of the scene at times. It's like it tried to be a more zany adventure rather than a serious one. Even though it was clearly more of the latter. But, the ED was pretty good.

The characters were more or less fine. I wouldn't say anyone in particular stood out to me though. Everyone had their moments and fit nicely into the story. And, I'm undecided if the drifting theme is a little too heavy-handed for the relationship between Natsume and Kosuke. Though, I think, the movie did a decent job of skirting that line. Nothing felt too-too over-the-top.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Sep 17, 2022 3:40 PM

Apr 2012
The Japanese really love the messages that you should be able to let go of things and accept updates.

commonxreaction said:
The best part about this was probably the visuals. The art and animation was consistently good. There were quite a few transition scenes and backgrounds that really struck me. All-in-all it suited the story and added to the adventure and whimsy.

My initial interest in this stemmed from the premise. I found the idea to be rather interesting, and neat. So I watched it. It was a pretty simple story about rebuilding friendship. My main complaint is that I wish they had spent some more time explaining things. I still am not entirely sure why Nippo was, essentially, the progenitor of this adventure. Other than him being the personification of their apartment, why specifically is he creating this journey? Why is a building so invested in its residents?

The voice acting was good, but some of the BG seemed odd at times, almost taking me out of the scene at times. It's like it tried to be a more zany adventure rather than a serious one. Even though it was clearly more of the latter. But, the ED was pretty good.

The characters were more or less fine. I wouldn't say anyone in particular stood out to me though. Everyone had their moments and fit nicely into the story. And, I'm undecided if the drifting theme is a little too heavy-handed for the relationship between Natsume and Kosuke. Though, I think, the movie did a decent job of skirting that line. Nothing felt too-too over-the-top.

Japanese culture is very much built on the principle of the iceberg, a significant part of the pleasure of story is based on your reading and interpreting things that are left unsaid.
Sep 17, 2022 7:56 PM

Feb 2019
i mean it looks good
Sep 17, 2022 8:57 PM

Jun 2016
Much better than the average seasonal imo. Concept was interesting and unique. Also rare we get anything in the survival/adventure genre.

Obviously a childrens movie, but it did a fairly good job of balancing how mature/immature the main cast were. Bit long tbh, think it would have been fine even as 90 mins or so.

Was fairly fun
Sep 18, 2022 4:43 AM

Feb 2014
Never watched a Ghibli movie, but this felt like the one. The concept was so good. Especially the whole buildings and places having souls too. Memories bring back memories eh.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Sep 18, 2022 5:25 AM

Nov 2018
This was some fire shit dunno why this and a whisker's away is rated low. 9/10 for me
Sep 18, 2022 8:03 AM
Dec 2021
amazingly fing emotional
Sep 18, 2022 3:56 PM
Mar 2021
i really liked this movie
Sep 21, 2022 2:53 AM
Aug 2021
Ishida's work really is refreshing. The story it narrates, although simple and genuine, is, as usual, accompanied by an outstanding animation. The movie in itself is indeed a piece of art animation-wise, as it happens with all of Ishida's endeavors. The main characters are, as usual, everyday elementary school kids, even though some of them seem to be more mature than their age would allow them to be. The story unfolds fluidly, the pace isn't slow, nor rushed but it adjusts well according to the different scenarios. What truly stands out though is the depiction of emotions, the awkward silences, and the tears of those kids who are slowly growing and trying not to abandon their past, while also realizing the passing of time will eventually win over them.
Sep 21, 2022 3:13 AM
Nov 2021
fucking hell it is a masterpiece
Sep 21, 2022 3:01 PM

Nov 2013
This was pretty painful to watch. I don't mean the anime was bad. All the shit these kids went through was hell! I legit thought someone was gonna die. For a moment I even thought the kids died during the demolition of the building and their souls were stuck in a limbo of some sort lol (plot of the movie).

Overall, it's one of the shows I wouldn't watch twice (maybe after dozens of years) - because it's 2 hours and about 1:30hr is kids suffering and crying and getting hurt and starving and getting emotianal damage and stuff...

As one guy mentioned here, it's definitely better than "Bubble".

Definitely enjoyed it (good for 1 time IMO, as mentioned).
Sep 22, 2022 3:10 AM

Aug 2020
GreenShadowdemon said:
fucking hell it is a masterpiece
Okay let's calm down right there bro lmao, not every show that left an impression with you is a masterpiece
It was inevitable...
Sep 24, 2022 6:34 PM

May 2021
Surprisingly better than I expected though those expectations weren't particularly high, thanks to Bubble. The art and animation are solid, and the production value really heightened during the time when the building dived straight into the sea.

The characters, while not outstanding, are pretty good and more or less behave like normal humans, with the exception of Natsume who seems to be kinda detached from reality often, though that goes to show deeply traumatized she was in her childhood. Kosuke is my fav character and honestly speaking, this guy should go study engineering. He would do well.

Here's hoping any new movies from Netflix are of similar quality or even better.

Sep 25, 2022 3:04 PM
Sep 2021
visual mt bem feito e a trila sonora no nivel ,cumpre o que promete um bom filme nao um otimo nem um filme ruim
Sep 25, 2022 8:41 PM

Sep 2020
I didn't get the point of this movie, but I liked it a lot.
Perhaps it's more about the subtle things than the objectiveness itself
Sep 28, 2022 1:06 PM
Mar 2020
This movie is the easier level Uchiage Hanabi because it's actually has a storyline that's actually make sense. Both are still cryptic/hidden messages movies but this one is easier to digest.

Uchiage Hanabi is (I think) a hyperbole illustration of what it feels like being in love with someone for the first time and it's also about adolescent which they're telling in a very, very cryptic way possible.

While this anime is more of a story of moving on and continuing life, memories are there to be cherished, not to live on because we can't stay living in the past and although I doubted it, this movie teaches kids to say goodbye. And while trauma is harder to forget, we could somehow manage it by the help of other people, remember to seek help.

And everything in this movie are good tbh but I wished they're not very realistic character behavior wise since how the characters behave here is very realistic, just like how kids would act (Except for Juri, she's waaaay too chill for an elementary school student)

And everyone is a damn superhuman especially Natsume. 8/10.
Oct 4, 2022 1:01 AM

Jan 2021
My only complaint is Natsume.

Other than that, it was interesting and fresh. I enjoyed this kind of survival! They are still in elementary school but the way they combine used equipments/tools to survive also looks cool and great, they have a quick way of thinking and responsiveness.

Oh and I like Juri. She's not a crybaby, doesn't complain much, always tries to do what she can and tries to stay calm and mediate when Reina-Natsume-Kousuke starts arguing. Feels like she was the big sis there hahaha

Oct 4, 2022 11:58 AM

Apr 2012
I'll be honest here... I was so bored and had to basicaly do everything to keep my ass on the seat. The characters certainly didn't help as they annoy me a lot... really takes so much effort just to finish it. 6/10 for me and that because the animation was okay and the music kinda good.
Oct 5, 2022 10:52 AM

Nov 2015
there were like 20 minutes that could have been deleted from this movie. it felt so long.
Oct 9, 2022 8:24 AM

Feb 2021
The story is original and I love the art of this anime!
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Oct 11, 2022 5:43 PM
Jul 2008
Visual is really good! Story is ok. But I'm disappointed with the lack of epilogue.
Oct 14, 2022 1:37 PM

Oct 2009
I really wanted to love this. The character design and animation was great, even the concept was interesting at first but the finale act... everything just fell through. Also, the energy between the two leads we're cute at first then it became so weird and uncomfortable. The stakes were definitely high in the movie for children (reminded me of Made in Abyss) but I really don't know why they were fighting for survival that hard. They never mentioned their parents much or only in vague ways. They acted as though it was all a game, but people were literally bleeding.

I am usually not critical with made for children movies but it's just disappointing because this had a lot of potential like Spirited Away or Summer Wars
Oct 14, 2022 3:11 PM
Sep 2022
It was an incredible movie!!..and I loved it....it was so good and i would recommend to anyone ♥️
Oct 20, 2022 5:38 AM

Jul 2015
"I had a dream where I ate McDonalds", gotta love that kid Taishi.
Overall nice visuals and okay plot but the movie felt tad too long and characters sometimes got too annoying (looking at Reina)

Nov 8, 2022 6:17 PM

Feb 2018
Where's kiss scene and married ending wtf -_-
Nov 19, 2022 9:57 AM
Jun 2020
When Nataume took off after Noppo it was like Wilson from Cast Away all over again
Dec 10, 2022 9:14 AM
Jul 2018
I thought it was a pretty fantastic movie, although in the latter half I felt a bit lost by the blue wisps and the ominous mass in the sea and some of the more supernatural stuff. I'm still unsure who the plant/building children are... after the ferris wheel chick appeared out of nowhere, I started to wonder if maybe, as far as Japanese culture goes, there's a belief that each building or structure has its own spirit or something. Supernatural elements aside... and my complaint that there were a few pretentious moments...

The animation and visuals were great. The "plot" (or lack thereof) was actually quite appealing. Just some children on a building out at sea.

This movie kinda reminds me of that other recent series about children who are in a school that winds up in an abyss... then they wind up on an island, some kids have powers, and a bunch of crazy abstract stuff happens. That series got way too pretentious and convoluted, kinda losing its initial charm halfway through. I at least appreciate that this movie didn't rely on too many other factors aside from the setting itself, which imo is the selling point. The building and the sea.

The characters and characterization were good too. I liked the friendship and character dynamics. The voice acting was great for everyone.

There were some touching moments too.

8 to 9/10 for me. Solid movie that kids and teens could enjoy.

I was caught off guard by how unsafe the environment turned out to be. I can only imagine how covered in cuts and bruises these children were afterward. Not to mention that actual visual injuries we saw. Getting cut on glass and one kid getting that head injury. ouchhh
Dec 20, 2022 11:38 PM

May 2020
I hate Reina. I like Natsume, I actually cried when she narrated how she came to live with Yasuji. I like Juri too. Natsume is correct in her own way, based on what she has experienced. You can't expect kids to take mature decisions, so Natsume, Kousuke, Juri and others are doing just fine. But Reina is a self-centred spoiled brat, who always blames Natsume. No matter what happens, she blames it on Natsume. It's like she hates her and just pushes everything on her. Natsume never asked the boys to come to that apartment, nor did she ask her to come. It was Reina herself who decided to go to the apartment just because of her jealousy and possessiveness over Kousuke. She doesn't get to judge Natsume.

As for Natsume not wanting to leave Noppo, she feels bad for him. Not only her, even others feel bad to leave Noppo. It's not selfishness, it's the pain to leave behind someone, especially when you know the pain of losing someone. I support Natsume, when she said all the others can leave, while she stays back with Noppo. She chose to suffer with him, but she doesn't want others to do the same when they have no such feelings or obligations. She has no ill will.

I like how Noppo decides to not hold on to them any longer and to let them live their lives. A stage of acceptance for spirits of things. It reminds me of Going Merry's dialogues. It was a nice ending.
Dec 24, 2022 12:02 AM

Aug 2018
damn, dramatic af kids. decent movie tho.
Dec 28, 2022 3:36 AM
Nov 2021
I highly recommend everyone to watch this
To be Honest This Movie was worth my 1 hour 50 Minutes
I give it a solid 9.5/10
This movie would have been better if Kosuka and Natsumi were 18+
Then it would have had more romantic scenes
But even tho the movie was still lovely
Some people say that the Movie was too long but it was perfect, especially how they didn't skip any storyline or plot
Jan 1, 2023 9:28 PM

Aug 2021
my overall reaction is ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Jan 3, 2023 7:50 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Honestly I really liked it. I wasn't sure if I would in the first half after the kids get stranded due to all the personalty and drama crashing into one another but by the end they all became a cohesive unit with one another. What it reminded me of was Digimon highly which made me warm up to where it was going and I was not dissapointed with the ending at all.

I actually do like all the characters, even Reina because honestly despite her brattiness, I'd be more upset at the situation then how more collected the cast was. Natsume despite me being frustrated with her baggage, I related to consistently and maybe that says something about why I was back and forth on my range of "awe" to "steaming". Taishi really MVP'd the whole ordeal but all the kids were resourceful.

People stating about how the whole supernatual element of the spirits and the descrution weren't explained but I mean, I don't think that's a bad thing, I feel like if you have even a base amount of Japanese cultural prowess and the context clues of the movie it's obvious. I also don't think these kids need an exposition dump.

Also goes without saying, visuals were stellar and the concept of the abandoned verge of demolition buildings was a neat idea. It feels like it could've been expanded on tremedously. We only really got to see Taishi, Natsume, and Reina have these blast from the past moments, maybe it was planned but this film was already at a 2 hour run time. In a different era I feel like this could've been a fantastic 3-5 part OVA with the journey stretching longer and just more everything, including seeing more abandoned enviorments but for what we got I enjoyed.

Solid 7/10.
Jan 18, 2023 12:17 PM

Nov 2013
This movie was boring and headache-inducing. The story kept taking random turns that made no sense, and the main character's decisions were irrational and stupid
Mar 29, 2023 9:50 AM
Mar 2023
Found the anime movie mega beautiful and content of the film was very interesting
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» If you enjoy the most annoying characters in an anime movie and over 1h of constant arguing, this is the movie for you

Ceresty - Oct 16, 2022

14 by sharosharo »»
Apr 18, 6:27 AM

» Anyone else got so annoyed with this movie?

Lookiiii - Sep 16, 2022

40 by Atsunome »»
Nov 18, 2023 12:53 AM

» ZUTOMAYO MV PV?

GamingLiamStudio - Sep 8, 2022

6 by IridescentJaune »»
Apr 6, 2023 12:40 PM

» New post-release trailer featuring Auld Lang Syne song.

RealNath - Sep 18, 2022

2 by SobbleBoy27 »»
Sep 18, 2022 11:32 AM

» Why this one is listed as a movie while Bubble as a ONA ?

ZXEAN - Sep 16, 2022

4 by campfiretype »»
Sep 16, 2022 2:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.