Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 13, 2019 11:30 AM
Feb 2016
Pyoung said:
ChainxBastard said:

You're supposed to feel that way. Askeladd didn't have his men raid the village for nothing, if he didn't then he and his men were going to die. It was them - or him. And he chose them.

Simple as that.

Amazing how no one mentioned that fact yet.
I was thinking that the whole time. I want Askeladd to be a good guy so bad haha. when he said he hated the Danes last episode I was thinking.... No way.. he doesn't hate his crew ..he must be lying... I guess time will tell

I think he really do hate Danes considering how harsh his Roman high born mother was treated by his good-for-nothing Dane father. Seeing them in action (Vikings in particular) creates a negative feedback loop that exacerbates his hatred for them.

I don't think that he'll have them killed, but I think that he will abandon them later on after he gains spoils of delivering Canute and go back to Wales. It's not like he wants to commit genocide on the Danes or anything, he'd much rather have the glory of Britannia restored I think.
Oct 13, 2019 11:30 AM
Mar 2019
I love this episode so much... It depicts the sets of beliefs and faction of humanity that divides how the way they think but not just because of their exposure to such an environment, but also their Religion. Just like Askeladd said, Evey human is a slave to something. Like the religion of Danes in particular, they don't have sets of belief that fears them over their judgment by God as Christians do that fears the judgment of God because they thought that a Valkerie would only accept Men who died honorably in war. They were able to d what they do because of, let me reiterate again, their environment and sets of beliefs. Thorfinn is selfish of taking revenge over helping the imminent suffering and death of these individuals, which means he is a slave of the notion of having a conventional fight rather than eliminating the threat right away. It as well, emphasize the word love in the initial episodes which the Christian priest stated. Thors embodies this, he has love, compassion, and eccentric personality that the Priest was stunned by it, implying the word it's seeking.

Best episode so far besides episode 9 which Thorinn questioned himself what so fun about war and episode 3 that shines brightly over Thor's personality and wisdom.

I really need to read the manga now, this show is really well oriented. One of the best storytelling I've seen and Mob Psycho 100 as well. It's been a long time since I've watched anime and this anime really shines brightly to me.
AnubisSchuOct 13, 2019 11:52 AM
Oct 13, 2019 11:32 AM

Dec 2013
I really felt sick after they killed the whole damn village - Jesus.
Oct 13, 2019 11:33 AM
Jun 2009
That was something unusual. The episode where Christians are main characters and not the Vikings. Danes indeed made a horrible thing, killing those civilians, but they had their logic to do so. The girl with a stolen ring is a bit odd. I thought she would blame her sin for the murdered village. As if she was punished by God by taking her family and friends from her. But for some reason, she is elated...
Definitely not the best episode, but still very interesting.
P.S. Was there Thorfinn present? I haven't seen him.

Jul 2014
With all the development they've been giving Askeladd of late, it's been easy to forget that he's actually a callous monster of a man who has no qualms killing innocent civilians to further his own plans. And the build up to the mass execution, as well as the way they presented it, was more harrowing than anything this show has managed before in the village attacks Askeladd's men have embarked on: this wasn't the same as the attack in the village where Thorfinn was briefly taken in, not by a long shot.
Nov 2015
One of the best episodes so far and certainly the one or 2nd one with the best direction.

How brutal.

BetoYeriExyOct 14, 2019 8:10 AM
Oct 13, 2019 11:35 AM
Jun 2009
najumobi said:
The backgrounds in the 2nd half of the episode look amazing.

I liked it as well.
Oct 13, 2019 11:35 AM
Aug 2019
LlamaSan said:

-Concerning the brothers not knowing about Thors, you have to realise this happened years ago (shown by Thorfinn's growth from child to teenager) and these guys have gone to countless fights since and they must have joined the crew after that. Thorfinn may be our MC but he's just the feisty kid who has a bone to pick with Askeladd to them.

Said brothers were knocked out cold in the very beginning of their encounter with Thors. They didn't know all the details as it was and then you add over 10 years on top of that.

Clearly, there are some vets in Askeladd's band that know should still remember who Thorfinn is and how the deal with Thors went (Bjorn, for example), but it's stupid to assume that a force of 100 that changed by now dozens of times would meticulously write down and follow who is who and where he comes from.
Oct 13, 2019 11:36 AM

Jul 2015
A really dark episode

They really brought out like in the manga the emotional intensity.

Really well done WIT.

Oct 13, 2019 11:43 AM

Mar 2012
Birdsanddrugs said:
Only part that I didn't like from the EP were the CG axes during the culling.
Yeah, I found that to be pretty jarring and almost comical during a scene that was anything but funny. I feel like the CG ruined the intensity of the scene there where there wa sno need for CG.
Oct 13, 2019 11:43 AM

Dec 2013
Neji said:
Another shit episode. Characters that we don't care about, violence that we have seen countless times already. All of the people who comment on realism, how many burned villages we have seen already? What the hell you think that dane invasion is anyway. Everyone knows that innocent die, so what was the purpose of this episode. Also those two brothers didn't know why Thor died or who he was? That is idiotic, this show is going down the drain, but fanboys are too blind to see it.

P.S. Also can people please stop going crazy about background and such, yes we got it it looks good, but how many episodes are we going to discuss it.

What's with all of you shonentards who can't appreciate slow well directed episodes like this
The point of this episode is to make a contrast with the previous. Askeladd in the previous ep was portrayed all noble with good and honorable intentions and here he is also depicted as a merciless killer who will commit any slaughter to achieve his goal.
Oct 13, 2019 11:47 AM

May 2018
I don't really get the purpose of this episode. We all know that vikings do bad stuff, we've seen it the show plenty of times already. Did they really need to do a whole episode about this?
DariatOct 13, 2019 12:03 PM
Oct 13, 2019 11:48 AM

Jul 2013
Well, if anyone still has doubts that Askeladd is not a murderous asshole after revealing his "noble goal" the last episode, then you have your response. Still a good (written) character, mind you, just shows that, for all his talk and charisma, he's still consistent with the viking lifestyle.

I wonder if Anne will reappear in the future or if she's just an episodic character.
The priest is becoming one of my favorite characters of the series, hopefully we will see more of him before the end of the anime.
Oct 13, 2019 11:50 AM

Jun 2016
Dariat said:
I don't really get the purpose of this episode. We all know that vikings do bad stuff, we've seen it the show plenty of times already. Do they really need to a whole episode about this?
I imagine it's to build the atmosphere and the tone of the series by showing firsthand how low these guys will go and how remorseless and how much of a dirtbag these guys are.
Gift by Mimurona

Oct 13, 2019 11:51 AM
Nov 2007
Gabisu said:
Neji said:

Couple of things here? Empathy between characters? Which characters is that? The nobodies that got killed, Askellad, priest who makes no sense and pretends to be some kind of deep meaning? Also considering thorfin has been trying to kill askellad for years, I am pretty sure that everyone knows who Thor was and how he was killed. The pacing is extremely slow and episode after episode don't cover anything? Why is the religion here anyway, is the story going anywhere. I read the manga years ago and loved it, but I don't remeber it and most likely I had hundreds of chapters to read so garbage like this didn't bother me. This episode was 90% pointless. Everyone talks slowly like they are retards and they don't even make sense. I am complaining because there is no value in the 20 min episode and people are wanking over background.
Ok, listen here, Anne is a character in this episode, that whole family are > THIS EPISODE <, characters are not the ones that cover the spotlight during an entire work, even in an isolated moment, they are characters.

So why doesn't the priest make sense? He is an example that he was always listening to his own hypocrisy, and when we finally have his recent moments, which are for something deep or something average, they become complementary. There is no construction without these little things, and the anime works slowly on it, fitting in a few, or wanted something extremely forced and crushed? Religion is the strong point of this arch, especially about the Priest and Canute own questioning when 'these' scenes occur (this is not a spoiler here).

Knowing is different from meeting fully, they see 1% of the person Thors was, and both were unconscious at the time Thors was killed, the anime didn't give them a single touch, so why the hell would they know directly how he was? If the fact that the same happens after the fall of Thors, they do not carry as memorable for their lives, they all have their goals what fill in their head with it, practically Thorfinn has no major impact on the lives of these Vikings except Askeladd.

Have you ever watched Monster or Erin? Do you know what is the most important step for the progress of a narrative? The preservation of an atmosphere, an episode without this, becomes a coreless episode, the stories are just poorly structured, some lucky enough to hold, what you say is the kind of saying: '' Ah, this episode hunter x hunter only had dialogue, so he's useless and bad ''. An example of another famous anime, this kind of comment already says a lot about someone who is not immersed in anything displayed, and if it really is, then it may be superficially.

> Characterization of the priest
> Approach a different perspective among massacres victims
> Also reinforce how brutal and focused on Askeladd (after this episode creates, that there are no more scenes of the kind, so I think he corrects that, there Askeladd is not the hero everyone thinks)
> The plot needs to progress doesn't it? How will they take shelter this winter? Here was the first step, which then gives the consequences for what comes next.
> And Anne will be important for the next episode too, if you have read the manga, know what happens next, which becomes a consequence.

ALSO: the way they put this girl, a character who is in a very religious family and she was going out of the way and was afraid of being punished by God, but her greed was high and she couldn't get rid of the ring. And then they introduced the Askeladd which is something that is not afraid of punishment and goes only with the focus of achieving their goals and keeping their men alive, and with the death of the village people he ended up giving "salvation" to the Girl who now knows that if worse people than her are not being punished, he will not be punished either and again this comes into effect in the future episode.

But i following your concept, it's just useless, isn't it?

Some good points there. Thank you for taking the time.
Oct 13, 2019 11:51 AM
Jul 2019
Dariat said:
I don't really get the purpose of this episode. We all know that vikings do bad stuff, we've seen it the show plenty of times already. Do they really need to a whole episode about this?
As the guy above you said the point of the episode is to contrast to the previous episode in which Askeladd is portrayed as noble and well-meaning, while in this episode we see him as ruthless and cold. This is also meant to let us see what Askeladd is doing from the perspective of the victim, making us feel more sympathy for them. It also helps to expand on the concept of God and love in the world of Vinland Saga.
Oct 13, 2019 11:52 AM
Feb 2009
damn that was pretty brutal even with the lack of action this episode
Oct 13, 2019 11:54 AM
Jun 2015
AnubisSchu said:
I love this episode so much... It depicts the several beliefs and faction of humanity that divides how the way they think but not just because of their exposure to such an environment, but also their sets of beliefs. Just like Askeladd said, Evey human is a slave to something. Like the belief of Danes in particular, they don't have sets of belief that fears them over their judgment by God as Christians do that fears the judgement of God. They were able to d what they do because of, let me reiterate again, their environment and sets of beliefs. Thorfinn is selfish of taking revenge over helping the imminent suffering and death of these individuals, which means he is a slave of the notion of having a conventional fight rather than eliminating the threat right away. It as well, emphasize the word love in the initial episodes which the Christian priest stated. Thors embodies this, he has love, compassion, and eccentric personality that the Priest was stunned by it, implying the word it's seeking.

Best episode so far besides episode 9 which Thorinn questioned himself what so fun about war and episode 3 that shines brightly over Thor's personality and wisdom.

I really need to read the manga now, this show is really well oriented. One of the best storytelling I've seen and Mob Psycho 100 as well. It's been a long time since I've watched anime and this anime really shines brightly to me.
I'd wait till the season ends.
Oct 13, 2019 12:08 PM

Aug 2018
A brutal slaughter : exactly the kind of thing Vikings would do and I'm glad it wasn't cut out (censored enough obviously, but what I meant is that the plot did not spare the civilians). The serious thematics of religion, which existed centuries ago, also had its spotlight this episode. I particularly loved the contrast carried by Anna, who comes from a family that strongly believes in Hell & Heaven, and the reality. From being convinced she would go to Hell until she realized the truth.
Oct 13, 2019 12:19 PM

Jun 2016
omg this episode so fucking goodddddddd !!!

probably the best anime this year !!!

Oct 13, 2019 12:20 PM

Aug 2013
This episode was brutal and quite depressing. Feel bad for the villagers.

Oct 13, 2019 12:29 PM

Nov 2016
Neji said:
Another shit episode. Characters that we don't care about, violence that we have seen countless times already. All of the people who comment on realism, how many burned villages we have seen already? What the hell you think that dane invasion is anyway. Everyone knows that innocent die, so what was the purpose of this episode. Also those two brothers didn't know why Thor died or who he was? That is idiotic, this show is going down the drain, but fanboys are too blind to see it.

P.S. Also can people please stop going crazy about background and such, yes we got it it looks good, but how many episodes are we going to discuss it.

Lmao, every character is important in an anime, even the support characters, we need to know more about them, and specially when it's an historic anime, yeah, we are not getting Thorfin nor Canute content but Askeladd (idk how to write it) is a main character too, maybe you don't like him but other people do. Maybe you don't care about the animation/background/etc... but other people do. And when did we see this type of violence before?? they are in a new country with new religions and they literally didn't kill everyone like if the villagers were animals (they were doing that in the previous episodes). YOU are the BLIND.
Oct 13, 2019 12:30 PM
Nov 2018
Not much happening in this episode, just going to get groceries, and an observation about jewelry.

Actually, it was a very good episode. There have been so many raids, but here it's like time slows down a bit so you get to see one raid slowly from start to finish, and what it means to the civilians.

Now, don't go and be angry at the Danes in particular. This is what the English kingdoms did to each other, as did the Welsh kingdoms, and Scottish and Irish clans. And everyone else. Frankish kingdoms, Hungarians, Bulgarians, Arab kingdoms attacking each other and their surroundings, Turkish tribes, everyone.

It's just that the Vikings were particularly good raiders, who exploded onto the scene from west to east, and all the way down to Constantinople where they became bodyguards to the king. Naturally those who wrote books singled them out as particularly bad, then.

Just like the Vandals - a people from Scandinavia, who skillfully made their way through Europe, through Gaul and Iberia, to take what is now Tunisia, and from there be the first to raid Rome. So the Roman writers made "Vandal" a bad word forever. Even though this is what the Romans had done, and would do, to countless towns and villages.
Oct 13, 2019 12:33 PM

Mar 2018
Oh wow basically nothing happened but it didn't feel like that at all to me tbh

Is this girl going to play an important role? Would be interesting to see more of her

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Oct 13, 2019 12:33 PM
Nov 2018
NirvashX1 said:
omg this episode so fucking goodddddddd !!!

probably the best anime this year !!!

There is no question about it!

I was thinking for a fleeting moment, where was Shield Hero in episode 14? Probably in the castle, which took forever, or fighting the dinosaur right after. It felt like it was treading water. But here we have realism like you see in few anime. This episode was great. Every anime should be like this. Maybe not massacring entire villages, but they should feel this profound.
Oct 13, 2019 12:44 PM
Nov 2018
AnubisSchu said:
I love this episode so much... It depicts the sets of beliefs and faction of humanity that divides how the way they think but not just because of their exposure to such an environment, but also their Religion. Just like Askeladd said, Evey human is a slave to something. Like the religion of Danes in particular, they don't have sets of belief that fears them over their judgment by God as Christians do that fears the judgment of God because they thought that a Valkerie would only accept Men who died honorably in war. They were able to d what they do because of, let me reiterate again, their environment and sets of beliefs.

You need to study history. Christians did this a hundred times more. Once they were in control in the Roman Empire they slaughtered tens of thousands of Pagans. Closing the libraries, so that science was lost; the way to make concrete wasn't discovered again until the Renaissance. Destroyed the complex economy, so everyone starved. And then they took food and gold from others. Using the Roman-built weapons and roads and strength.

The Western Mediterranean were Arian Christians, meaning they believed Jesus was separate from God, like the Bible says, and like Bishop Arian preached. Constantinople, where all the wealth was, invaded Christian Italy and emptied the cities, killing untold numbers. They destroyed the peninsula so the Lombards, also Christians, could easily take over.

Christianized West Goths, Visigoths, had taken Italy before that, and also Iberia. Before them, Christian Vandals and Swabians from Germany had taken Iberia, and northern Italy. Ostrogoths would take Italy and more. Christian Franks took Gaul.

All of this included looting villages for food and slaughtering villagers when needed.

Christianized Franks invaded German lands and slaughtered tens of thousands. Then they went on to attack the Poles. The Germans revolted, so the Franks returned to attack them again. The Christian king Charlemagne had called to a meeting with the Pagan chieftains of Germany before that, maybe three hundred, and killed them all, cutting off their heads. There are plenty of examples of treaties broken, or meetings between the occupier and the leaders of the occupied, where heads were cut off.

Christian kingdoms in England, Wales, Ireland, did the same. Christian Russians, Poles, Bulgarians etc, did the same. To other Christians and to Pagans.

Before the Westphalian Peace after the Thirty Years War, it was standard to attack civilians and take what they had. Armies preferred to avoid each other - though we usually read about the battles between armies since they are the most interesting. The soldiers needed pay in the form of loot. Only the Westphalian Peace established the rule that war should be between national armies, not targeting civilians - a new thought in world history.

EDIT:

And of course, the Muslims slaughtered people far and wide, attacking both Constantinople and Persia. (Which they could do because Constantinople had been waging twenty years of increasingly religious war against Zoroastrian Persia. And Persia had been weakened by the Mongol invasion.)

The Muslims brought in the Turks as allies, and they would slaughter their way up the Balkans, all the way to Vienna where they were finally stopped. The Muslims sought to invade from Iberia through France. In the east they invaded all the way to western India. Slaughtering villagers along the way, taking slaves.

Long before them, the Jews had been slaughtering as much as they could - you can read in the Old Testament how Moses was angry at his captains for sparing the women and children in the cities they invaded in Canaan. He told them to go back and slaughter everyone. So I don't mean to pick on just Christians. And then we have the Indians and of course the Africans, and the tribes in North and South America, who all committed genocide against other clans and tribes and took them as slaves for millennia until the European empires finally forced them to stop.
HegarOct 13, 2019 12:53 PM
Oct 13, 2019 12:50 PM
Jul 2018
i don't know why, but i thought for a split second that the girl was going to smile like a shitty shonen villain at the end lmao, i'm so glad she didn't

great episode btw
Oct 13, 2019 12:52 PM

Sep 2017
Ohh shit, although I read the manga watching this scene again was simply brutal, a little bad taste, but realistic with the era in which the story unfolds, violence, looting, wars, etc ... easily one of my favorite episodes

Really, one of the best episodes achieved with a really interesting question.
God are you really seeing us?
Oct 13, 2019 1:11 PM

Dec 2018
Special shout-out to Atsushi Kobayashi for being the episode director this time around, excellent episode.
Oct 13, 2019 1:17 PM

Mar 2018
@Neji How is the two brothers not knowing more about Thors nonsensical lmao? How can they know more about him when they only met him during that attack years ago? Askeladd doesn't know much about him either and Thorfinn doesn't talk to them about him. It served well to keep true to theme of love introduced early on, the two brothers didn't consider what Thors did an act of love but the priest did because they have different beliefs that are realistic for this time period and environment.

I'm not sure about the girl named Anne yet, but she seemed to be implented to comment on the control of religion. She felt happy (?) that were others who didn't fear God and commited evil acts, unlike her who stole a ring and felt scared and shit.

The pacing is great, it builds athmosphere, expands the world and keeps developing the characters through events that stay true to earlier characterization. I rather have this than some series where I only feel invested when there's action or plot twists.

There hasn't been a raid shown in this much detail yet , and I love how for a few episodes now the journey of the main characters has felt so alive, there has been put in a lot of effort and substance to not make it generic, it's slow because this part of life was slow
poop
Oct 13, 2019 1:21 PM

May 2019
All I can say is, the art is amazing. This episode had particularly marvelous directing.

And yet again I was left feeling depressed after watching a Vinland Saga episode. This happens way too much where I find myself staing at the void and questioning life.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Oct 13, 2019 1:24 PM
Jul 2019
Esquirtit said:

She felt happy (?) that were others who didn't fear God and commited evil acts, unlike her who stole a ring and felt scared and shit
I believe this was a mistranslation, it should have been something like “My heart is racing” or “My heart is beating,” not elated
Oct 13, 2019 1:24 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
G O A T Episode.

Vinland Saga can easily become the best anime of all time if it continues like this and they adapt the manga fully.

GOAT/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Oct 13, 2019 1:29 PM

Jul 2019
Excellent episode all the way through. Funny and thoughtful bits with the priest at the beginning, then the grim rade and what the peasent girl went through. In any other anime she would have thrown a tantrum.
Oct 13, 2019 1:31 PM
Feb 2018
This episode alone makes me want to rate this anime a 10/10 it's has so much realism and the way they portray gods and devils. STORY TELLING is damn good like I felt bad for all the Chirstian people that got slaughter the dad especially since he tried his best for the family, I hope the daughter survives her prayer really made me feel my heart hurts just thinking about it
Oct 13, 2019 1:31 PM

Mar 2017
Man, i found this episode really hard to watch and i'm not ashamed to say that i cried at the horror of it. That was some A+ directing and animation!

As far as people saying that Askeladd is evil or do i agree with him and such... i feel like i'm not in a position to make a decision on that and this episode displayed the reason for that perfectly; the reality of their world is kill or be killed and some times that means doing evil things but i don't think that necessarily makes you an evil person.
Oct 13, 2019 1:46 PM

Apr 2019
My entertainment from the Vinland Saga was in decline for quite a few episodes, to the point I had lowered the preliminary rating. This episode put an end to this. Somebody please find the episode director and offer him a director job for his/her own show. Excellent cinematography and narrative structure. (5/5)

Oct 13, 2019 1:46 PM

Jul 2015
I think the point of it was to show that maybe, just maybe Askeladd lied about his Danish blood being weaker than his Welsh blood. He mentioned that pillaging villages was a Danish tradition that they had to carry out, which is odd considering he said he wouldn't let the Danes step one foot on the land, when in fact his own men are on the land, and carrying out their traditions nonetheless. In addition when he spoke in Welsh to the villagers, it was suppose to communicate a sense of relatability yet he showed no mercy to these people, his "real" people. Basically Askeladd really is a piece of shit.
Oct 13, 2019 1:51 PM

Mar 2018
Jaegerbomb_106 said:
Esquirtit said:

She felt happy (?) that were others who didn't fear God and commited evil acts, unlike her who stole a ring and felt scared and shit
I believe this was a mistranslation, it should have been something like “My heart is racing” or “My heart is beating,” not elated

Oh so it's more like she fears those who don't fear God, they're just as frightening as the feeling she got when she stole a ring? I wasn't sure and a lot of translations seemed off, I wonder if it's better on Amazon Prime.

Mod Edit: Removed reply to deleted post.
DeadlyRavenOct 17, 2019 1:16 PM
poop
Oct 13, 2019 1:55 PM
Apr 2019
irondark30 said:
I think the point of it was to show that maybe, just maybe Askeladd lied about his Danish blood being weaker than his Welsh blood. He mentioned that pillaging villages was a Danish tradition that they had to carry out, which is odd considering he said he wouldn't let the Danes step one foot on the land, when in fact his own men are on the land, and carrying out their traditions nonetheless. In addition when he spoke in Welsh to the villagers, it was suppose to communicate a sense of relatability yet he showed no mercy to these people, his "real" people. Basically Askeladd really is a piece of shit.
⁹ I just want to clarify they were not in Wales when this happened, they were in Mercia( which is a part of England) the manga made them not being in Wales at this point a bit clear. Askeladd can communicate because Welsh and English are very similar languages. Nothing he did he hear contradicted what he said about wanting to protect Wales but it showed us that even he does have a noble goal he is still a monster all the same.
Oct 13, 2019 1:57 PM

Nov 2013
super good ep, pleb filter gonna catch a few big 'uns
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Oct 13, 2019 1:58 PM

Sep 2018
Speechless and goosebumps all around my body, for now this anime is a 10/10
I keep moving forward
Oct 13, 2019 2:01 PM

Aug 2012
God damn Askeladd, ruthless as always!
Oct 13, 2019 2:13 PM
May 2019
Damn. That was the level of "evilness" I was expecting when I started watching. Why the Danes were feared. Not only because of how they fought in the battlefield, but because they were mercyless. Anyways, is Vinland still going to be important on the anime? I feel like Vinland has been forgotten.
Oct 13, 2019 2:19 PM
Sep 2019
Well done episode. It’s nice to see the hard winter conditions again, I also enjoy how this show portrays religion. The slaughter of the innocent villagers was very sad. I’m wondering if the sole survivor aka ring stealing girl will make another appearance.
Oct 13, 2019 2:30 PM

Feb 2019
Another great episode. It depressing as hell. Also loved the atmosphere.
Oct 13, 2019 2:31 PM

Apr 2018
On the battlefield you can find only despair and excitement ( I guess).
It is fascinating how this anime shows the real value of human life.
Oct 13, 2019 2:33 PM
Nov 2015
irondark30 said:

They stopped marching through Wales because it started snowing, and they can't get through the welsh mountains in a snowstorm, so they took a shortcut through England. He's welsh so hates the saxons/anglos, the people who live in England.
Oct 13, 2019 2:36 PM

Sep 2019
Lol at the people who suddenly feel surprised and complain about the brutality. Like what show you were watching until now? Just cause stuff like this wasn't directly depicted, you thought it isn't perfectly normal for these characters? This isn't some shounen action series, it's damn right that it deals with what war is actually like, and what it does to people on all sides.

I like what they did with this episode, puts things back into perspective and should probably do good for the pacing.
Oct 13, 2019 2:53 PM

Nov 2014
Thorfinn looks so used to this kind of things. He's so blinded by revenge that he can't even differentiate right from wrongs. Though, in his time, survival is the priority even if you have to side with the wrongs.

In the end the girl's lips have turned purple, meaning she's about to die in the snow. It's better that way. Her 'good', faithful family have all gone to heaven and her, the 'sinned' one is left to suffer in living hell. It's better that she dies. Her saying that she's excited after seeing her family get massacred is such a surprise. It seems like either she's gone crazy or she has a wild side to her. After all, her stealing and Askeladd's guys killing are both crimes. It's not a surprise that she's excited when introduced to the 'other' side of life.

I'm honestly surprised that Canute wasn't even fazed during this whole ordeal. Is he okay with that?? Or is he just too scared to say anything??
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» English Sub or Dub?

Benassiesto - May 11

25 by Quv »»
May 12, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

800 by viking-Captain »»
May 10, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2019

259 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 5:10 AM

» Vinland Saga has an amazing plot... ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 21

55 by peterross »»
May 9, 12:24 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2019

404 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 6, 4:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.