Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 14, 2019 3:26 AM

Nov 2017
TopgunUK said:
Amazon translated Anne talking about her heart pounding as "I'm elated" in a situation where she clearly isn't.

The phrase she says doesn't literally translate as her heart pounding. It could mean a variety of things, depending on the context. Interestingly, all of them have positive connotations iirc.
Oct 14, 2019 3:33 AM
Apr 2016
TheDopplerEffect said:
TopgunUK said:
Amazon translated Anne talking about her heart pounding as "I'm elated" in a situation where she clearly isn't.

The phrase she says doesn't literally translate as her heart pounding. It could mean a variety of things, depending on the context. Interestingly, all of them have positive connotations iirc.

Not really, interestingly. It could mean she is glad there are sinners "like her" so that going to Hell receives more context for her. She could be glad, she could not scared anymore as she is not the only one punished. She could be starting to relinquish her belief into the deity who allows such defiance. She could be going mad and seeing what transpired as a happy thing. Proper translation would be "excited". And being excited in the mass murder... is a sign of insanity.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
DeadlyRavenOct 17, 2019 1:07 PM
Re:formed
Oct 14, 2019 3:36 AM

Nov 2017
Daniel_Naumov said:
TheDopplerEffect said:

Not really, interestingly. It could mean she is glad there are sinners "like her" so that going to Hell receives more context for her. She could be glad, she could not scared anymore as she is not the only one punished. She could be starting to relinquish her belief into the deity who allows such defiance. She could be going mad and seeing what transpired as a happy thing. Proper translation would be "excited". And being excited in the mass murder... is a sign of insanity.

I never said it was the right translation. All I said was that the connotations were positive. Excited is a word with positive connotations too.

Raizel said:
Cruelest episode by far a mile, my hate for them starts to get stronger than ever.

Your profile pic checks out

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
DeadlyRavenOct 17, 2019 1:07 PM
Oct 14, 2019 3:44 AM

Jan 2019
Raizel said:
Cruelest episode by far a mile, my hate for them starts to get stronger than ever.

Oh, you seem to like the ep- sees your score
visible confusion
Oct 14, 2019 3:47 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Fudge, this was some episode! Yukimura-sensei hyped me up through the week and I'm glad to say that it totally delivered!

Definitely a tough watch though, those people really did not deserve such a cruel fate. It's even more haunting to know that life at one point used to be like that, massacres and mass-killing for the greater good yikes.

Mad props to Wit Studio for this masterful episode! Everything just seemed to click in perfectly, from timing, directing, to the usage of music and everything else!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 14, 2019 3:47 AM

Jan 2015
-2 for this episode
For what to watch bandits who kill at will
MC also helped find a village for bandits

Start 7/10 now 3/10

Oct 14, 2019 4:12 AM

Oct 2009
TheDopplerEffect said:
TopgunUK said:

It's the sound of a heart beating, a thing they didn't mention at all in the translation, substituting a word that didn't transmit that at all.

They chose a word that doesn't get across the information she actually conveyed and instead takes the potentially positive connotation and runs with it by choosing the most positive word they could find.

If they didn't want to be too literal and mention the heart pounding they could have used excited.

I've already seen a dozen people questioning why she said that and interpreting the scene wrong because of it.

It's just an awkward choice when there are better options right in front of them.
Oct 14, 2019 4:16 AM

Jan 2019
Damanks said:
-2 for this episode
For what to watch bandits who kill at will
MC also helped find a village for bandits

Start 7/10 now 3/10

Sounds like this kind of dark stuff isn't for you pal. You didn't sign up for actual decent moral characters for this now didn't you?
Yes, these guys are barbaric killers lead by a ruthless and cunning man who will slaughter villages to achieve his goal, this is the point of it all. MC is controlled by the leader like a puppet as well, I don't think it's shown anywhere that he helped find the village, but I'm not surprised if he did either.
man, I never realized how soft anime only's are until this episode. Geez
Oct 14, 2019 4:18 AM

Nov 2017
TopgunUK said:
TheDopplerEffect said:

It's the sound of a heart beating, a thing they didn't mention at all in the translation, substituting a word that didn't transmit that at all.

They chose a word that doesn't get across the information she actually conveyed and instead takes the potentially positive connotation and runs with it by choosing the most positive word they could find.

If they didn't want to be too literal and mention the heart pounding they could have used excited.

I've already seen a dozen people questioning why she said that and interpreting the scene wrong because of it.

It's just an awkward choice when there are better options right in front of them.

Once again, I never said that the translation was right. I said the word always has positive connotations. There's no right way to translate it, but it means more than just "my heart is beating fast". If your language relies heavily on context (which english doesn't), it's enough for you to pick up on what she means by that. For an english translation "my heart is pounding" would be too vague. Excited arguably is a better choice, though it's nowhere near ideal either.
Oct 14, 2019 4:36 AM

Jan 2018
The brutality of war and the Vikings is seen here. No doubt about it.

Pity for that girl to see the horrors of his family getting slaughtered.
Oct 14, 2019 4:46 AM

Dec 2016
Short_Circut said:
Wonder if this girl will last more than 1 ep this time compared to all the other girls so far.

Well Yes, But Actually No
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.97/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.164/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.86/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.53/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Oct 14, 2019 5:10 AM

Dec 2016
They look so cute together! :3

Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.97/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.164/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.86/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.53/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Oct 14, 2019 5:33 AM
Apr 2016
To think that pople idolize those fucking vikings is just hilarious and disgusting.
Oct 14, 2019 5:36 AM

Nov 2013
Striker-3649 said:
To think that pople idolize those fucking vikings is just hilarious and disgusting.

their act is justified, it's not like they do it out of fun..
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Oct 14, 2019 5:40 AM

Sep 2018
Fuck. Wow. This shit's good man. Haven't been shaken up by recent anime like this, great episode.
Oct 14, 2019 5:59 AM

Jul 2014
Phew i finished this dark feeling episode
Yup it was a great episode
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~
Oct 14, 2019 6:02 AM
Jul 2019
Striker-3649 said:
KyouKaiTen said:

i really dont know how killing innocent people, raping, kidnapping and looting is justified, maybe i live in a different world than you.

It made sense for their own perspective. Nothing moral here but Askeladd only care about his men and his plan, so it was logical he'll steal food for his men and kill the entire village to prevent anyone alerting the enemy.

As they say "He's a c**t but he's their c**t" lpl.
Oct 14, 2019 6:08 AM

Jul 2017
Striker-3649 said:
KyouKaiTen said:

i really dont know how killing innocent people, raping, kidnapping and looting is justified, maybe i live in a different world than you.

It is justified in the context though. Askeladd and his men aren't just taking a causal walk here, they're in the middle of war, in enemy territory with dwindling supplies and harsh weather beating on them. They aren't worried about being morally justified nor should they be, their priority is to survive.
Oct 14, 2019 7:08 AM

Feb 2014
This episode felt very powerful and does an excellent job at showcasing just how brutal Askeladd's army can be.

It felt different to seeing this episode from that girl's point of view and her antics about after she made a sin after stealing a ring was pretty amusing.

That, and the priest talk with the brotherly duo about love again were the only light-hearted moments in the entire episode. The rest of it was pretty gruesome and I'm not surprised a few users on this discussion thread have reacted rather negatively. =/

You can't help but have sympathy for every innocent civilian of that small village being rounded up and killed off one by one as that girl watched on in horror. It is horrifying and shocking, no denying that.

From Askeladd's view, it was a justified decision. His crew are trying to rendezvous with the main army, but are having trouble getting through the thick blizzard conditions in the mountains. His men are very hungry and need food and drink, so when they see a small village that have what they need, it's a obvious choice that he would take all of the food and other resources with them. Plus, to prevent anyone from running off to potentially alert the enemy, they killed all of the civilians.

To the few users who have reacted negatively to this episode, you should know by looking back at historical wars that this was the norm back hundreds and even thousands of years ago. With parts of modern society being so easily and pathetically offended at almost anything nowadays, their reaction was inevitable, but it's another reason why we shouldn't shy away from moments like these. This was how life was back then, when wars were far more common and massacres and other deprived crimes happened far too often. We should be grateful that we live in a more civilised world now, even if other parts of the world have yet to catch up.

It's another reason why we should learn from our past to make sure that things don't repeated themselves from happening again in the present and future. Sadly, this is something that some people tend to end up repeating anyways for their own desires, such the way this world works at times. >.<

Rant aside, the end of the episode where the girl looked up at the sky and asked god if her family made it to heaven was powerful and moving. The sunrise background drawings at the very end was stunning and beautiful to look at.
Oct 14, 2019 7:14 AM

May 2013
could some people just stop making judgement that easy and just enjoy the show.
The characters are complex and do the stuff they do because they are people at that time, at least the author did a good job in convincing me that, (except for some exaggerating part).
The authoer wants to invite the readers or anime watchers to think on these questions people have been thinking for ages through these age of darkness.
"what is afterlife?"
"what should we believe?"
"what is good and evil, where do I find my place?"
They are trying to find the answer.
It is time when christianity start to spread but people still face the conflict that start from Greek time or even earlier: if evil is more profitable than good, why should we do good and what is moral anyway.
So far the show is doing a very good job, it invites you to think instead of preaching, but some people just refuse to think.
Oct 14, 2019 8:27 AM

Oct 2009
Masterful episode. Probably my favourite since Thors death.
The direction and the art was just beautiful.
Oct 14, 2019 8:43 AM

Oct 2018
Superns18 said:
Fuck asekladd fr fr. Piece of shit. Also, damn how the fuck did I miss Thorkell being a Christian, it was so obvious. This episode left me so angry man I’m not gonna lie

Was Thorkell a Christian? Wasn't he a 100% Norse warrior who only loves fighting?
Oct 14, 2019 8:47 AM
Aug 2018
The thing is that this episode does everything its power to be as ambiguous as it possibly can. You could say Askeland was the representation of the devil for the villagers, who did nothing wrong, and who were killed without a second thought by Askelland people. But we know for a fact that Askelland has honour, though a twisted kind of honour. He never lets his men see this part of him, but I think that he truly meant it when he said that he was going to "get rid of their misery". Would it have been better if he just left them there to die from hunger and cold? It was indeed a kind of mercy, but a very cold blooded one, if that even makes sense.

Apart from that, I really loved the reflections on christianity from the girl's perspective. For her family it was very simple. You either go to hell, or you go to heaven. For her, stealing a ring would be enough to send her to hell, but when she saw what Askeland and his men did, she felt "elated". I'd say she even felt relieved. Relieved that the world wasn't so simple after all. Relieved that it was possible for a human to not be scared of the judgment of God. But I think she really had a lot of things going on in her mind. Because if that were true, if the world wasn't so simple all along... could she be able to believe at the end that her family really went to heaven? did she start doubting, and felt happy because she was simply alive?

Yeah, I really, really liked this episode. It was ambiguous as fuck, but that's what I loved the most. A little episodic story that really made all of the series themes shine through.
Oct 14, 2019 8:49 AM

Apr 2019
Well... that was one hell of a cold winter night. This episode is just simply beautifully done, especially that last scene. The poor girl had to witness everyone in the village die right in front of her. She must have realized that she's literally living in hell already. Really wish we could see more of here though I really doubt we would. I'm only guessing that all of these events will have a very huge impact on Cnut's character development.
Oct 14, 2019 9:22 AM

Nov 2017
Todd_ said:
Arguably the weakest episode in the series thus far. The gratuitous violence and empty monologues did nothing for the show. We already knew that this is a grim, cruel, and violent world and that Askeladd and his crew and the worst of the worst. This episode was wholly unnecessary.

I don't think so. This episode is important for the world-building.
Oct 14, 2019 9:33 AM

Jul 2017
Striker-3649 said:
GreenEmu said:

It is justified in the context though. Askeladd and his men aren't just taking a causal walk here, they're in the middle of war, in enemy territory with dwindling supplies and harsh weather beating on them. They aren't worried about being morally justified nor should they be, their priority is to survive.
if you are taking it that way then every criminal activity ever is justified as well whether its for revenge, survival, entertainment or anything yet some people think so highly of vikings and treat criminals like trash smh.

Learn to read, I said "in context". And people like Vikings today because like most things from the past they've been highly romanticized over time. The English committed their fair share of atrocities towards the Danes as well such as the St. Brice's Day massacre. In summary wars and conflict during this time period were horrible affairs for all parties involved. Judging the past with modern day morals is a silly thing to do.

Oct 14, 2019 9:46 AM
Sep 2019
supernicolasman said:
First episode i stopped.

I guess i can't do it anymore, the rape and killing done by askelaad and his group is just too fucking much.

I get the realism of the time. But i just can't enjoy watching characters going through comedy moments and making funny quips because they think they are cool and then murdering an entire village or raping all the women around.

It's just not entertaining to me to follow these types of characters.

I understand that it's hard to view/follow a story from the perspective of awful people. I have a hard time with it too.

I first read the manga years ago. It was easier to get through this first part as it only took me a few hours to get to read.

In the rest of the story it's a lot easier to empathize and rout for the characters.

I hope you give this series one more try from the beginning. (If you're done with the anime. Try the manga)
If not from the beginning. Then try read the manga from chapter 55 and onwards, if your confused about the plot, PM me and I'll send you a quick recap.

I think if Vinland Saga gets a season 2 it begins at chapter 55 or 56 do there's that too :)
Sorry for my bad english...
Oct 14, 2019 10:16 AM
Mar 2015
I thought it showed the brutality without any whitewashing Askeladd wants to protect the prince at all costs even if means killing everything that stands in its way
The girl who was worried about minor theft suddenly found herself staring into the abyss at people who have no regard for human life Even thought she is convinced that God is not watching she still asks him to receive her family She does not believe that she will make it to heaven because of her actions and attitude
Oct 14, 2019 10:19 AM

Feb 2014
This episode in the story could pretty well be called the downfall of Askeladd. I mean that's how karma works right. The viewpoint on this one was pretty hard regarding how they varied depending on how they came to be. For the Christian's it was the salvation from their god, for the brother duo it was their trust, for the girl it was the thrill that came from succumbing to her desire which eventually saved her from the axe and for Askeladd it was to prevent anything to his future plans downfall for which he would do anything to succeed.
Also its pretty sad to see that most of the crew don't remember Thors but do remember his creed that will resonate within them for the time to come.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 14, 2019 11:02 AM

May 2018
What a fantastic and gruesome way of pulling us back to reality of what Askeladd and his band of pirates do for a living. It's a good reminder that the characters we're laughing with are cold blooded killers. And that in war, nobody really wins. Especially not innocent civilians.
Oct 14, 2019 11:31 AM

Jul 2019
Well that was depressing. Worst part is that I kind of understand why it had to happen which is even more horrible. I wonder what will happen to that girl.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Oct 14, 2019 1:11 PM

Mar 2012
Seriously though, Askeladd doesn't understand how much he just fucked up and this is the beginning of the end for him. Canute will never forget this night.
Oct 14, 2019 1:34 PM
Jul 2018
Well, that's how the devil works his job.

My heart started racing when the Vikings rose their axes together and swung them down on the villigers. I could feel that sillent mass murdering, I felt so disgusted. Almost like an urge to throw up.

But just wait. With that red-haired girl staying alive, karma will have its way of striking back.
Oct 14, 2019 2:29 PM

Aug 2015
Really enjoyed this episode. Loved the animation of the weather especially showing how cold it was by making the characters have cold hands. Wonder what's gonna happen next...will we get to see an intense fight scene?
Oct 14, 2019 2:40 PM

Feb 2019
I understand what was trying to be done with this episode but the impact was totally lost on me. The whole episode was just strange in its delivery and pacing. There are also times where I wish the characters speaking different languages were actually speaking those languages and not Japanese.

The Danes silently murdering those civilians should have been more gut wrenching but the lead up to it was way too fast and obvious. I also feel like the translation for Anne was slightly off, and if it wasn't it certainly seemed strange.

Either way, the animation was fantastic as always.
Oct 14, 2019 2:43 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Neji said:
LlamaSan said:

-Wouldn't say I loved the episode but this isn't rinse and repeat of the last few village attacks to emphasise the harshness of war. This time we saw how Christianity during that time worked among commoners and how little the Danes know about it.
-We saw a sort of mercy killing of the villagers as I doubt Askeladd really believed that the villagers would give any valuable information to the pursuers in this tundra so instead of them starving and dying to the cold or their pursuers in fact, he gave them a swift end.
-Concerning the brothers not knowing about Thors, you have to realise this happened years ago (shown by Thorfinn's growth from child to teenager) and these guys have gone to countless fights since and they must have joined the crew after that. Thorfinn may be our MC but he's just the feisty kid who has a bone to pick with Askeladd to them.
-For those who are sad about the lack of Thorfinn and Canute and the screentime given to pointless characters, go watch a shounen. This anime might not be for you just saying.

I just asked for good arguments and you did give some, but then you kind of ruined by insulting shounen. Don't know why people need to do it. I see the top two points, but I disagree that there is any redeeming points, Askellad and his man are nothing more then bandits, which we already knew. The last two pints are not valid, once again it will idiotic for 100 people not to know the entire story of thor, considering how much it has been discussed. Last one is that I can enjoy shounen and other, but if the show has pacing issues and doesn't make sense it will bother me.
You seem to be hung up on those two brothers not remembering Thors' name. I dunno what show you've been watching until now, but none of these guys except for Askelad and Bjorn and maybe the tracker dude, gives two fucks about the people they meet and kill...Yet alone someone that died over 10 years ago. It's quite possible to forget the name of someone over that long of a period, shit, I forget people's names after 10 mins sometimes and especially if I'm never gonna even see them again. You're out here acting like they forgot the dude completely.

As for the whole "Not caring about randoms thing" the whole point of that scene clearly went wayyyy over your head huh? People here have already perfectly explained why it isn't repetitive but man, you must be pretty lacking in empathy if you didn't even feel bad for those villagers even a little. The fact that they all died isn't what's so unsettling to people, it's the fact that historically speaking, this is actually what went down and this complete and utter disregard for life is just depressing and sickening at the same time (It also makes you feel pretty uneasy since what they did was actually understandable too)

Lastly, as for your "opinion" on Askeladd, you'd think that his fight with Thors, how he sees and treats Thorfinn and then also last week's episode, you'd realize how complex this man actually is....Especially after seeing what he did in this episode, but nah.....You're really out here spouting all kinds of bullshit xD

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
DeadlyRavenOct 17, 2019 1:02 PM
Oct 14, 2019 5:10 PM

May 2015
Neji said:
Another shit episode. Characters that we don't care about, violence that we have seen countless times already. All of the people who comment on realism, how many burned villages we have seen already? What the hell you think that dane invasion is anyway. Everyone knows that innocent die, so what was the purpose of this episode. Also those two brothers didn't know why Thor died or who he was? That is idiotic, this show is going down the drain, but fanboys are too blind to see it.

P.S. Also can people please stop going crazy about background and such, yes we got it it looks good, but how many episodes are we going to discuss it.

You're gonna have to try harder kid.

Oct 14, 2019 5:14 PM

Aug 2016
Nubiellee said:
Well that was depressing. Worst part is that I kind of understand why it had to happen which is even more horrible. I wonder what will happen to that girl.

It was pretty brutal episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2019 5:49 PM

Dec 2013
Not gonna lie, it was pretty meh.
I really dislike the direction in this show.

That monologue at the end... IDK, it was supposed to be dramatic, right?
I actually fell asleep.

Really average show so far.
Unfortunately.
Oct 14, 2019 7:39 PM

Jun 2016
Damn Askeladd,you're one cold motherfucker fr.
Oct 14, 2019 7:39 PM

Jan 2013
TheDopplerEffect said:
TopgunUK said:

What was the word she used?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2019 7:51 PM

Jul 2016
Well
TopgunUK said:
operationvalkyri said:
The scene in the blizzard was gruesome and beautiful at the same time.

Yes I noticed she says doki doki. What would the correct translation be? What mood is she in there?

She says her heart's pounding like it was when she took the ring.

Amazon decided she was really happy about her whole family being slaughtered for some reason.

Well, more than happy that her familly just got killed i feel like it was her being happy that there is more people in the world that does bad thing. She was from a very religious family and i feel like in her eyes stealing that ring was the worst thing and nothing worst could ever be done.

My conclusion is that after seeing the evil of this world at first hand she felt relieved knowing that there is people willing to negate gods will just like her, of course we can't compare the 2 acts but on her mind it might be the same.

Oct 14, 2019 7:53 PM

Apr 2011
She was tempted by the ring and survive the ordeal. Basically the girl was save by God.

Glad it was less gore than the manga.
Oct 14, 2019 7:54 PM

Dec 2015
Looks like they fixed most of the English in the OP. Last week it was like this:
"Like rowing boat,
we enter the future backwards.
All we see are the scenes the past,
and no one cannot see the views of tomorrow."

And now it's like this:
"Like rowing a boat,
we enter the future backwards.
All we see are the scenes of the past,
and no one cannot see the views of tomorrow."

They still have the double negative in the last line and the English overall is a little awkward, but at least they are trying to make it better. The little details in this anime are great, so I hope they get even this small thing fixed completely by Blu-ray release.

It's still funny that some pseudo-intellectual last week tried to tell me that it was supposed to be ancient English and not just bad "Engrish" grammar lol.
Oct 14, 2019 8:05 PM

Jul 2015
TopgunUK said:
Lawren222 said:
Hmm for some reason I thought I heard they were similar.So Askeladd can speak three languages then I guess? He is smart and has being raiding England for 10 years so it does makes sense.

Welsh is a language of the Celts native to Britain more similar to Irish and Scottish gaelic, whilst Old English was brought over more recently by the Anglo-Saxons (English) and shares a common root with Norse.

Askeladd is well travelled and definitely speaks Norse, Welsh and English (when he asked the fisherman a couple of episodes ago to deliver his message he did so in English and the fisherman commented that his English was good but it sounded like he had a Welsh accent).

From Askeladd's point of view the English already invaded his country and England is just the part of old Britannia that they're currently squatting in, so he likely doesn't think much better of them than he does the Danes.

That allows him to do the things he did in this episode with few qualms while he probably wouldn't have done the same in Wales (although they really would be screwed if they hadn't done this).

Ah thanks for the clarification! This did clear things up

Nieznajomy43 said:
They look so cute together! :3

Lmao I wasn't expecting this
irondark30Oct 14, 2019 8:44 PM
Oct 14, 2019 8:06 PM

Jun 2019
Well this was a dark episode. A lot of my favorite anime are quite dark but I've never been a fan of cruelty. It just kinda caught me off guard. That's a problem I've been noticing as the series goes on, the tone changes a lot from episode to episode.

Despite being the main character Thorfinn did jack all in this episode. I feel like he's kinda sliding off the plots radar. Although he's not a terribly interesting character, it's still strange.

I found the girl character interesting. I hope we see more of her later and she does something, though I doubt it.

I'm not sure I entirely get the rational for slaughtering the village. I mean, Askalaad said there was only enought food to feed half his army. So whatever they did, they're still fucked!
Oct 14, 2019 9:10 PM
Jul 2018
This episode felt like another buildup episode with unusually great direction compare to last episodes but again felt like very few things happened. Not my favorite episode as much as other hailed still I am very interested to see how it goes from here.
Oct 14, 2019 9:24 PM
Jul 2019
I'll never look at Minecraft pillagers the same way ever again.
Oct 14, 2019 9:40 PM

Jul 2016
Uhm, having your family and yourself being brutally killed or live the rest of your lives as slaves? And if you were a young woman in that age... oh boy.

Quite intense episode overall. Fortunately, it wasn't unnecessarily explicit (thanks, I honestly didn't want to see a baby being killed) and in terms of atmosphere, I think it was well handled during the raid sequence.

Anne's inner monologue at the end was also interesting to hear. Being so scared of God just to end up feeling "elated" (relieved?) after knowing there are people far worse who aren't afraid in the slightest of said God. Reality hit at its finest but now, I wonder whether she will ever appear again later on or not. Well, that is if she manages to survive the winter, of course.
Oct 15, 2019 12:12 AM

Nov 2017
Thebigofan said:
TheDopplerEffect said:

What was the word she used?

the word was "doki-doki".
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» English Sub or Dub?

Benassiesto - May 11

25 by Quv »»
May 12, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

800 by viking-Captain »»
May 10, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2019

259 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 5:10 AM

» Vinland Saga has an amazing plot... ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 21

55 by peterross »»
May 9, 12:24 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2019

404 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 6, 4:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.