Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jul 28, 2019 10:45 AM

May 2015
ONE PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 28, 2019 2:08 PM

Dec 2016
Thors is such a fucking badass lmaoooo
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jul 30, 2019 8:33 AM

Apr 2018
This is pretty interesting. I guess the adventure starts with this episode
Aug 1, 2019 1:24 PM

Mar 2018
Thors better not die just because he became a pacifist and won't kill anyone anymore.
Aug 2, 2019 4:15 PM

Oct 2012
Not bad this time, although it's wonder they all survived when those logs and stones dropped down on them.

And I see, the stakes are really high now. Thorfinn is the same brat as ever though, he really deserved that beating.
Aug 5, 2019 11:12 AM

Jul 2009
Really love the music when Thorfinn saw the ocean for the first time. Already expected that Thor was gonna ditch the rest since he has such a big heart, though it was still nice to that happen either way. I love how Askeladd, despite his carefree demeanor, feels much more threatening than Floki as a character.
Aug 5, 2019 1:53 PM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
Thor’s is strong as hell and I like how is refraining from drawing his sword or killing the pirates. This episode really is setting for things to pop off in episode 4
Aug 6, 2019 1:34 PM

Jun 2015
Thors is trying really hard to avoid war casualties by going bare hands.
Aug 7, 2019 2:37 AM
Jun 2016
I loved it! Honestly, this is such a great series so far.

And for everyone deciding to compare it to Attack on Titan, don't. The only thing they have in common is that they were made by the same studio. If all people are going to do is keep bringing up two different anime to trash one and hoist the other on a pedestal, don't fucking talk about them. AOT is a fantasy show, Vinland Saga is historical. Apples to oranges, guys. Vinland Saga - speaking in terms of anime, since I know the manga has been around for way longer - still has a chance of being a blockbuster like Attack on Titan has been since 2013. It's okay.
Aug 9, 2019 9:00 PM
Feb 2018
Esquirtit said:
Everyone around Thorfin glorifies war, even their religion dictates to do so. At first it maybe looked like boys being youthful, but they're completely indoctrinated, both males and females share these brutal beliefs.

Yeah, from what I know about Icelandic history (I've read some of the Eddas too), you couldn't just start your own peaceful village. While people lived a long distance from each other, they relied on yearly gatherings called literally 'The Thing.' At these meetings they'd make betrothals, trade things, have war councils, cement clan bonds. Who you were related to through marriage or blood was very important, which meant you often got drawn into other people's blood feuds. It would be very odd for a powerful, free man like Thors to be unwilling to participate in raiding parties or kill anyone. You definitely wouldn't want your son growing up afraid to fight, because it was necessary to be a decent warrior to become anyone of note, or even get married.
But I love this show.
Aug 10, 2019 1:51 PM

Mar 2018
Lysmerry said:
Yeah, from what I know about Icelandic history (I've read some of the Eddas too), you couldn't just start your own peaceful village. While people lived a long distance from each other, they relied on yearly gatherings called literally 'The Thing.' At these meetings they'd make betrothals, trade things, have war councils, cement clan bonds. Who you were related to through marriage or blood was very important, which meant you often got drawn into other people's blood feuds. It would be very odd for a powerful, free man like Thors to be unwilling to participate in raiding parties or kill anyone. You definitely wouldn't want your son growing up afraid to fight, because it was necessary to be a decent warrior to become anyone of note, or even get married.
But I love this show.

Cool to know, thanks for sharing. I'm sure we'll see more of these things incorporated into the story. Thors was an odd one yeah, but the story points it out and how he came to be is well explained. It's maybe unrealistic but I like how it's played out like he's a war veteran who gained a new sense of morals and stuff. It'll serve as a good backbone for Thorfinns future development

I love this show too and I'll wait for it to finish airing to binge it in a few days
poop
Aug 19, 2019 11:18 PM

Jul 2016
The comedy with those villagers sure feels odd when you know it's clear as water that most of them will suffer an horrible (or honorable?) death in the end.

Anyways, this was another solid episode. The pacing seems nice and honestly, the more characterization Thors receives, the better. He's such an interesting character and now, I can't wait to see how this confrontation will conclude. Though I already have an idea about how it will be...
Aug 21, 2019 2:42 AM

Dec 2018
Ylva turns down the males!!! She is my waifu =) She is a lesbian and will become a Shield Maiden!! She like girls ,,,YES!!!! You go girl i will cheer for you!! You go to war with your sisters and rage hell on England,,Take some slaves and plunder .I really wanna see some Shield Maidens in upcoming episodes!!!!!! Show the world the power of females Vikings!!!

Really like that episode they are Vikings and should invade England, Like they always do when they are bored!!

Yuri-CrusaderAug 21, 2019 3:07 AM
Aug 31, 2019 6:19 PM

Nov 2012
Production I.G is pacing the episodes perfectly. I'm impressed. Haven't read the manga but this seems like a serviceable alternative.
Oct 1, 2019 1:23 PM

Dec 2014
god Thors is is gonna die isn't he... it's Ned Stark all over again. Why do all the good fathers have to die man... fuck
Oct 1, 2019 3:33 PM
Aug 2019
LeMasta said:
god Thors is is gonna die isn't he... it's Ned Stark all over again. Why do all the good fathers have to die man... fuck

To me, a lot of this story reminds me of early GOT. Not identical plot, but some intriguing maneuvering.
Oct 30, 2019 10:41 PM

Jul 2013
I'm guessing in the next episode is when Thorfinn would turn into Eren, a vengeful and edgy kid. Anyway at least now I know why Thors quit the army.
Nov 18, 2019 12:14 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
A veteran giving a lesson, I like that, but at the same time, I don't feel it's going to be safe for anyone, thanks to some scenes from the opening theme song. That batt spanking was on point, glad to see the budget put in the right place.
Dec 2, 2019 3:42 PM

Aug 2017
The pacing is so good, likeable characters even side characters and the animation is really good.

That cliffhanger lol. Fortunately, i'm going to watch the next episode tomorrow.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 24, 2019 4:46 PM

Dec 2015
Thors' such a badass, wew.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 10, 2020 7:52 AM

Mar 2015
Oh jumping into the action here, it's gonna be great!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 11, 2020 1:08 PM

Feb 2016
Anyone know the child series "Viki the Viking"? 100% the barrel scene is taken straight out of there. (Not complaining)
But man, I don't want Thors to die ffs. Best character.

Also why isn't Thors at least wearing his armor/helmet, like wtf? Why reduce his own chances of living?
Jan 18, 2020 11:22 AM

Nov 2012
Definitely excited for whats to come!

Hope Thors and Leifs crew can survive this trap!
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Mar 5, 2020 9:07 AM

Mar 2019
So far so good.I'm digging into this anime tbh.I mean,I knew it was good before I started watching it,but I already have my favorite character(Askeladd!!).
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Mar 9, 2020 10:33 AM

Apr 2016
Thorfinn snuck onto the ship! Hopefully he stays out of harms way, along with the inexperienced villagers.
Apr 1, 2020 11:05 AM

Dec 2019
Looool they got one shot by a punch xD i guess he doesn't wanna kill, but i wonder if he can keep that up.
                                                         🖤   

Apr 28, 2020 7:47 PM
Apr 2018
Please Thors, don't die. I have the feeling he will, but please, don't
May 3, 2020 11:58 AM

May 2016
Those village boys couldn't navigate the sea at night nor row a boat without complaining none-stop so it's more than obvious that they'd have no chance fighting against seasoned mercenaries. Thors' plan to leave them at Norway so he alone will be the one to face his leader has been cut short in the worst way possible, that's for sure.

It looks like Thorfinn's gonna see why his dad wanted nothing to do with his former life as a warrior with his very eyes...

Jun 1, 2020 10:04 AM
Sep 2018
Thors is really to good. I love this characters
Jul 4, 2020 5:38 PM

Mar 2010
Well they are trapped and goners time for the massacre to begin.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Aug 15, 2020 5:30 AM

Feb 2013
Time to kick pirate ass.
Oct 2, 2020 6:16 PM
Oct 2019
That little shit, Thorfinn.

Thors is going to try and take them all out without killing anyone. Unlikely.

Does Thors die (possibly trying to protect Thorfinn), setting off a long journey by Thorfinn if vengeance and/or prosperity (seeking peaceful existence on Vinland?)?

Good episode again.
Dec 29, 2020 2:29 AM

Jul 2015
I knew the second Thorfinn was nowhere to be found that the brat has hide himself on the ship. Damn Thor the troll looks ridiculously strong, hopefully the kids are able to make it back to Iceland

Jun 17, 2021 6:34 AM

Jun 2020
Off they go to the vast seas of the world

lol Thorfinn is with them on the boat, lol that pissing scene, Thorfinn got a little spanking for joining in the journey it might go for the worse possibly

Damn an ambush this doesn't look good Thorfinn might hold Thors back since he's his priority but he seems to handle it just fine.
Jul 14, 2021 10:49 AM

Jan 2021
Toris is a one man army and he didn’t even kill any of them he just one punched them
Jul 31, 2021 7:39 AM

Apr 2013
Seems like it's Thors against that bunch of thugs in the end. So far it looks quite good for Thors as long as no one of his dudes gets taken hostage... looking at you, Thorfinn?
Sep 24, 2021 4:45 PM

Mar 2016
LMAO, all the guys of the village are trying to propose to Ylva before their departure! Well, I just hope that the village, Helga and Ylva herself stays safe far from the warzone. This ties into Thors' backstory, so he deserted the battlefield because he's gotten attached to his firstborn, his daughter Ylva. That's sweet of him, fatherly instinct has overcome his desire for honour in battle.

Whenever a kid disappears just before a great departure, you can almost be certain that they've snuck onboard the ships inside a barrel or a crate. And just as I have thought, here is Thorfinn in the barrel. Guess he'll be travelling with the young lads and his chad of a father.

See, Leif might be exaggerating his tales a bit, but he's perfectly capable of navigating the dark, overcast ocean with ease, and is even able to perceive incoming danger. Still, when the enemies get too close, it's up to the man himself, the Troll of Jom, to singlehandedly dominate their opponents with superior skills. Man's only needed to use his fist to dispatch several 'veterans'.

Oct 2, 2021 6:41 PM

Mar 2021
bare hand fighting with swords lol

so ig the 5 guys will be dead
Nov 13, 2021 9:04 AM
Nov 2020
ASKELADD IS HERE!!!
I swear man
The guy who is singing the intro song is gonna die singing If he keeps screeching and yelling like that
Nov 17, 2021 1:24 AM

Jul 2016
awesome episode. was really pleasantly surprised when thorfinn ended up hiding in the barrel and coming along with them. thought it was gonna go the "my dad went to sea and i never saw him again." route. even better episode than the first.
Dec 6, 2021 3:29 AM

Aug 2018
This show so far really managed to bring that viking scandinavian feel to it , that piss in the sea scene was funny and whole start of journey really nicely done
Jan 5, 2022 6:56 AM

Dec 2007
damn every episode feeling to me like mini movie, the art is only assisting this feeling lol.

kinda knew that thorfin gonna invade the ship like this lol.
thors still is OP as he was in episode 1, he probably going to be alive out of this?
Mar 12, 2022 1:33 AM

Jun 2019
LOL... Thorfinn followed Thors and the crew to the sea and as expected Askelad is there to assassinate Thors. Thors will have to fight all of them at this rate. I hope they survive this battle.
Apr 21, 2022 5:21 PM

May 2021
Wasn't surprised that Thorfinn ended up following them. That pissing scene though.

Combat was great. Thor has strength and the skills to use it.

May 27, 2022 3:08 PM
Jul 2016
I'm sensing a Lion King moment very soon... :(
Jun 27, 2022 5:12 PM

Apr 2018
I told myself to not get too attached to any character but dang... Don't think Thor will be alive at this point :/
Aug 1, 2022 9:31 AM

Jul 2021
Ah I shouldn't have read the Synopsis now. Fuck.

Every episode is fucking intense with just a bit of light humor thrown in between.

This is the worst case scenario for them, Thor didn't even get to leave the young ones behind, all of them have to face the enemy now and if Thorfinn is done in, all of them are.

I flinched when Thor held his new born daughter like that, goddamn dude.

I smell a very very badass fight in next episode.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Sep 17, 2022 12:26 PM
Apr 2020
I like the scene where that one dude throws the spear at the wall "as an accident" but there was actually someone behind it as well as the fact that they are actually betraying thors
Oct 17, 2022 10:20 PM

Jan 2016
Something tells me Ari won't return. And I really should stop looking coming on to the forums because I can tell by the number of comments on the threads when something big happens. As there are is a large amount of comments in episode 4's thread, I expect that Thors will die that episode.

Ylva seems to be popular with the boys.

This annoying kid. I guess he's a kid though and kids in anime are usually very annoying. He will be there to see his father die then I guess.

I believe that weapon Thors gave Thorfinn is the same he holds in the OP.
Nov 5, 2022 2:57 AM
Nov 2022
can we just time skip?
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» English Sub or Dub?

Benassiesto - May 11

25 by Quv »»
May 12, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

800 by viking-Captain »»
May 10, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2019

259 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 5:10 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 4:39 AM

» Vinland Saga has an amazing plot... ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 21

55 by peterross »»
May 9, 12:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.