Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 11, 2018 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Eh, it's a cute show but I'm not really invested into the characters yet. The cast has a diverse range of them introduced so far.

As for the episode itself, I thought it was actually kinda silly with the battle outfits and poses. Actually, the poses is probably the bigger part of the comedy. Felt like a really average show in general. I'm not sure it can get better.
Apr 11, 2018 9:29 AM

Jun 2015
This was a decent first episode. Got some nice world-building and introductions for the characters. They're an amusing bunch. It will be fun to watch them go on their adventures.
Apr 11, 2018 10:00 AM

Nov 2014
As a gacha player myself, it was pretty funny to see all the references, I'll continue this anime! Sad though that it is already very clear who the villain is...

Choco is a pretty cute 4th wall breaker as well, but I hope that she'll play a bigger role than comedic relief and will be able to perform some skills too!
Apr 11, 2018 10:15 AM

May 2015
Scheduled maintenance, free gachas
Apr 11, 2018 10:27 AM

Jan 2018
That was a decent episode. The OP is also good.

BTW, Is that pink hair girl a villain?
Apr 11, 2018 11:23 AM

Mar 2013
I have no idea what to think about this anime. On the one hand it's funny with how random some (if not all) of the comedy is, but on the other hand I'm pretty sure this is based of a game I never played seeing as how their making constant gacha references like log in bonuses. Either way I'm going to continue watching because this anime just kept me making me laugh especially how everything went downhill right away from working for free to getting evicted, to having to buy back your stuff at 10x the price to prove it wasn't cheap. all that and that was only the first half. the second half was even better especially that cheapskate/con-artist of a mayor. the call girl bit was just amazing especially how no one knew what yen was and that summon all that build up for a one star.
Apr 11, 2018 11:23 AM

Jun 2015
Decent episode but everything felt so fast-paced and a bit super random, but still early days.

Apr 11, 2018 11:50 AM

Feb 2017
Is this based off something or is it simply a piss take on the freemium games?
Apr 11, 2018 12:08 PM

Nov 2015
most fun ep so far this season -> excluding comic girls, that one was simply too good though.
Apr 11, 2018 12:21 PM

Feb 2015
This was meh, I do like how colorful this is though, especially when compared to some of the darker shows this season.
Apr 11, 2018 12:36 PM

Jun 2017
The source says game but is it a specific game or a specific game genre? Other than that it's like Unlimited Moe Works, I like how colorful everything is and the chara designs are sick too. I am gonna stick around and see where it goes.
Apr 11, 2018 12:51 PM

Sep 2015
MomoSinX said:
The source says game but is it a specific game or a specific game genre? Other than that it's like Unlimited Moe Works, I like how colorful everything is and the chara designs are sick too. I am gonna stick around and see where it goes.

It's based on Last Period, which is a game by Happy Elements (Ensemble Stars)
Apr 11, 2018 1:01 PM

Aug 2013
Actually quite funny seeing gacha game elements in an anime. Choco is a pretty interesting character if she's a representation of the audience/gamer. The story is simple and predictable, similar to many kids anime. The art and animation look decent. So far, starting off as an average show.

Never played the game. I looked it up in the app store, and it looks boring.
Apr 11, 2018 3:26 PM

Sep 2015
Let's make Eighth Division Great again!

Seems a lot like a morning little kid show, but I'm not sure yet, the rating says 13 or older.
Apr 11, 2018 3:38 PM

Dec 2016
Quite the shock to start this episode, the whole branch was robbed and they lost everything and gotta start from scratch.

Everyone likes Haru and his cheerful personality.

At least Gajeru managed to get at least something back, feel sorry for him as I have a Hatsune Miku collection.

1000 a piece, she could have probably got them back at double for 200, they must have been really important.

I like how Choco keeps putting down the writing team calling them lazy because of what's happening.

I had a feeling someone really weak would come out of that call system.

After all that Wiseman had to leave so the get the job anyway.

They completed the job in the end, it wasn't much pay but it's a start towards rebuilding everything.

Ok first episode, I will continue to watch.
Apr 11, 2018 3:43 PM

Jan 2017
I was expecting a lot worse from this but the gacha parodies were nice and Choco's 4th wall breaking was funny.
Apr 11, 2018 4:12 PM

Aug 2014
blablabla... pass..
Apr 11, 2018 4:33 PM

Nov 2016
Very cute and quirky anime, an alright first episode, the OP and ED are very catchy. Characters could be a tad better but thats all the complaints i have at the moment
Apr 11, 2018 4:40 PM

Nov 2013
this is probably the most strange anime of the season hahaha
at least the characters are cute, specially Choco =D
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Apr 11, 2018 7:10 PM

Jan 2011
Liked this way more than i thought normally with these gatcha game adaptions you usually get a pretty awful serious story but this one seems to be really silly and meta, i feel if you aren't into these games a lot of the jokes would most likely fall flat but i got quite a bit of enjoyment out of them like seeing the one star starter pull be complete trash

so far besides choco being selfaware only really like the wiseman gang they just look like a team skull ginyu force and i'm okay with this

character designs are kinda goofy but i like them and the art is cute
Apr 11, 2018 7:16 PM
Jul 2013
All in all, it wasn't too bad. Choco is pretty awesome, Wiseman is pretty funny, and everybody Tsukkomis everyone.
Apr 11, 2018 7:45 PM

Sep 2011
Hmmm... Yeah, not sure how to feel about this show. The first thing I noticed was the setup felt like this was a sequel or somewhere in the middle of a long-running anime, and we're supposed to already know these characters and the basics of how this world works, and they just threw a little reminder of "and if for some ridiculous reason you're just now joining us, these are their names and a few details about the world." Considering this is not, in fact, a sequel or somewhere in the middle... that's probably not what this show should be making me feel...

This also doesn't even try to hide its gacha game origins, which I'm having a little trouble getting past considering blatant gacha game adaptations are not generally my thing... but the fact that they're also outright making fun of their own game is amusing. And there are some interesting character designs (unfortunately, most of them aren't the main characters.......), and I knew just from the OP that I was going to enjoy Choco XD She's definitely the highlight of this so far, the humor around her is on-point more than anything else in the show for me. Overall, veeeerrry trope-y, which has it's place... I just don't think this is executing it well enough for me.

I don't see myself finishing this, but I think I'll give it a couple episodes to maybe prove me wrong, but more likely just give me a few chuckles before I get tired of it.
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Apr 11, 2018 8:40 PM
Jul 2016
feel like it knows how bad it is and is just memeing off it, was amusing to some extent, so will probably watch it just when there's nothing else on
Apr 11, 2018 8:45 PM

Mar 2016
Not a fan of video games... I'll pass.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Apr 11, 2018 8:55 PM

Apr 2013
That was pretty good and a bit fun to watch actually
Apr 11, 2018 9:05 PM
Sep 2017
Entertaining firts episode. 😁😁

Apr 11, 2018 9:27 PM
Jan 2017
This show is like a cutesy hybrid of Pokémon and The Witcher. It comes across as clichéd and predictable, but then again this is a show aimed at children, so we should expect some inoffensive content.
Apr 11, 2018 10:19 PM

Feb 2017
Choco is pure love & that's all that i need <3
Apr 11, 2018 10:50 PM

Mar 2008
So good lmao. 9/10
Apr 11, 2018 11:06 PM

Oct 2008
I don't really know what to say about this show...seems like the plot is scattered all over...and poor world building information...
3/5.

Apr 11, 2018 11:44 PM

Mar 2010
Quite the funny self aware parody we have here with plenty of 4th wall breaking and overall mocking of the gatcha game genre.

Seems Campanella stole all the money to start up Wiseman and acts all goody goody with the 8th division as a ruse, she definitely represents the pay-to-win players with her squads 5 star summon whereas the party of mc's represents the people who play for free like how they don't take credit card and don't have a clue what the yen is.
Apr 12, 2018 12:18 AM

Mar 2018
As an actual player of the source game itself, I was really wary when the PVs rolled out, because the game actually has a more serious tone in a lot of places and (as seems to be typical for HapiEle games) angst hidden deep under the colourful designs. The PV made it obvious they were going for a much more light-hearted take on it, and I wasn't sure how well that would work, but...
I actually... liked it a lot?

Admittedly, I get the feeling that a big part of that fun is actually bein in the game community itself to fully get the references- or at the very least, to be familiar with the pain of being an RPG gacha mobage hell.

It's taking liberties with the source for sure, but so far not in a bad way in the slightest, and I really enjoy how much it uses actual mechanics for driving the episode and for comedic relief (and heck, they threw my favourite unit on screen right there while using his appearance to drive the nail on gacha luck, can't go wrong with that in my books).
Definitely not going to be a show for everyone, but I can see it having appeal to certain people familiar with either the source or the hell it describes itself.

OP and ED both get brownie points for the cute aesthetic, OP especially. Plus, I've had the ending stuck in my head ever since its preview in the second PV.

I'm looking forward to how it plays out in future episodes, but for now, it's a solid start and I enjoyed it way more than I thought I ever would.
Apr 12, 2018 12:19 AM

Aug 2013
I really liked the ed. this more of a guilty pleasure show. doesnt look great but imma watch anyways
BlueTurtleMasterApr 12, 2018 12:33 AM
Apr 12, 2018 3:10 AM

Mar 2014
They got cute characters but too bad it's boring. Some of the jokes and execution does not work for me

hopefully the next one will be better
Apr 12, 2018 3:39 AM

Apr 2013
shiro_kai said:
Let's make Eighth Division Great again!

Seems a lot like a morning little kid show, but I'm not sure yet, the rating says 13 or older.

Because they are not sure that kids these days have a smartphone and will spend money to roll some gachas so they put it PG-13
Apr 12, 2018 5:38 AM

Jul 2015
I'm here because I saw art of the game's characters and really liked it... but outside of that I know nothing of what this series actually is. So far it just looks like a pretty uninteresting fantasy series, and it felt slow... like I was sitting there watching it for a while... and it was also kind of cringy... and boring... and felt kind of lacking... Iona-chan was the best part about this... Wiseman was pretty cool too I guess. I don't think this is something I'll be coming back too much though.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Apr 12, 2018 6:29 AM

Sep 2010
Gacha the anime - shining brightly outside and deadly boring inside.
Apr 12, 2018 6:59 AM

Aug 2008
I was hoping for something similar to Guruguru but that's not it. It was pretty bland and pauses after punchlines were way too long. I guess I'll give it a shot since there's barely anything to watch this season anyway but I'll probably just forget about it on the way.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 12, 2018 7:00 AM

Jan 2017
WAI! SUMA! N! — wiseman
Apr 12, 2018 8:28 AM
Jul 2018
It's entertaining, but i doubt we'll see better story/character later. I'll give this show a shot.
Apr 12, 2018 8:33 AM

May 2017
Is it just me or that Campanelasomething girl has an alter ego coz she looks like that Wisemen boss?
Apr 12, 2018 9:28 AM

Feb 2017
Hmm, as i expected, happy go lucky adventure comedy with cute tone. Its entertaining though. Definitely turn off my brain and enjoy watching it.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Apr 12, 2018 11:13 AM

Jun 2017
ChrollosWaifu said:
MomoSinX said:

It's based on Last Period, which is a game by Happy Elements (Ensemble Stars)

Ahh, thanks. I found it on the JP Playstore, just like the anime it looks amazing. Dunno about the rest, haven't tried it yet to be honest.
Apr 12, 2018 12:39 PM

Jun 2017
TsundeReaper said:
Is it just me or that Campanelasomething girl has an alter ego coz she looks like that Wisemen boss?

That's what I thought but the voice actor seems different or she is changing it so much you can't tell. It's either that or a long lost evil twin or her mother imo xD.

We were shown scenes where she couldn't possibly have been at two places at the same time.
Apr 12, 2018 5:20 PM

Nov 2009
Is this a mobile game? since apparently they were saying stars and versions...

Why are there so many mobile game anime this season?...
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Apr 12, 2018 7:50 PM
Sep 2017
I like this anime..
Apr 12, 2018 9:10 PM

Mar 2018
Well, at first I thought this was a second season or something but the I found out that is based off a mobile game so I gave it a shot.

It's not impressive but it was really funny, I could even understand the jokes involving the game system (must be thanks to KanColle tho). I like the fact that the anime is not taking itself seriously, probably was the best decision instead of being a kind of serious show.

The best thing about the anime is Choco (and to a lesser extent Call Girl XD), I loved the fact that she's a cute kudere girl who breaks the 4th wall, and her design it's pretty good too.

This won't be my favorite for the season for sure but I think I will laugh a lot XD.
One day I'll be active here, in the mean time I'll keep track of what I watch offline 😅
Apr 12, 2018 10:53 PM
Jun 2017
I like this one...

*and that Choco girl is cute!!! Hahaha
Apr 12, 2018 11:29 PM

Mar 2009
Quite possibly the worst anime of the season.
Apr 13, 2018 8:07 AM

Nov 2011
Perhaps the worst anime as history, but the graphic part did not disappoint me, indeed I am very satisfied with the work done by JC Staff. Maybe the characters should be characterized a little more, for the rest I like the style of drawing the characters and the colors used. The opening and the ending are very catchy.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Last Period: Owarinaki Rasen no Monogatari Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

11 by Forum »»
Feb 12, 8:56 PM

Poll: » Last Period: Owarinaki Rasen no Monogatari Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2018

48 by KingNanael »»
Jul 16, 2023 7:30 AM

» Why the low score?

Piromysl - Apr 27, 2018

11 by jasutin_hoshi »»
Oct 8, 2022 12:13 AM

Poll: » Last Period: Owarinaki Rasen no Monogatari Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 9, 2018

28 by JohanAnthony »»
Feb 13, 2021 4:18 PM

Poll: » Last Period: Owarinaki Rasen no Monogatari Episode 9 Discussion

Strikefreedom117 - Oct 3, 2020

0 by Strikefreedom117 »»
Oct 3, 2020 9:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.