Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 3, 2019 11:39 AM

Jul 2017
Like others I'm pretty disappointed with the animation especially since this ep had a lot of action. Hopefully they're saving that budget for Thorfinn vs Thorkell round 2 and the grand finale which they better not screw up.
Nov 3, 2019 11:42 AM

Jul 2014
Nice episode, Torgrim really passed out lmao.
Thorfinn really comes off as overpowered at times, he must've ran over and killed a dozen guys while in his horse. Either way, excited for Thorkell vs Thorfinn again.
Nov 3, 2019 11:44 AM
Feb 2009
this always gets me hype up on Sundays!!
Nov 3, 2019 11:44 AM

Aug 2013
Good episode.

I have to say, forget about the people being killed left and right, I feel more sorry for the horses, especially the one that got punched by Thorkell.

Thorfinn vs Thorkell is something I'm looking forward to.

Nov 3, 2019 11:49 AM
May 2019
SmilingBeginner said:

Unfortunately due to sporting event in the same time slot next week, there will be a one-week delay of episode 18

Really? Shush, that sucks T.T
Nov 3, 2019 12:03 PM

Aug 2019
The episode was good because the source material is great, but the art and animation has deteriorated a lot, it was pretty bad in half this episode.
Nov 3, 2019 12:04 PM

Mar 2018
I loved the ep but after seeing a lot of people saying the manga was better I checked and indeed the anime didn't really do justice to the manga's art. That said I still think the story is very well told and I will stick to the anime.

Very hyped for the next ep, that extra week is gonna be the death of me.
Nov 3, 2019 12:04 PM

Apr 2016
Ha ha ha. It's like a competition between shounen mangas. In that other 2 cours we had a guy punching a lion (average weight 200 kg) and here we got a horse (average weight 500 kg). They can't write a shounen story without magical super-power :)
Nov 3, 2019 12:05 PM

Aug 2012
Best fucking episode and the best is yet to come!

...but gotta wait 2 weeks now...
Nov 3, 2019 12:08 PM

Oct 2018
this episode was really interesting. i was worried about Askeladden........

Next episode Thorfinn Vs Thorkell can't wait ^_^ :D
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Nov 3, 2019 12:13 PM

Mar 2014
Ughhhhhhhh that cliffhanger again!! Damn shit is getting crazy. I'm so excited for Thorfinn and Thorkell's duel. I also hope Askeladd doesn't die in the meantime.. or afterwards lol but I guess his death flags have been up for quite some time.

Nov 3, 2019 12:22 PM

Jan 2009
damn that animation quality drop is no good

but at least we got this lol dialogue

Nov 3, 2019 12:29 PM
Nov 2015
The animation was good most of the times tbh. I don't get the complaints.

What a great episode. Again.
Nov 3, 2019 12:32 PM

Jan 2009
btw where is Ear of Askeladd? is he dead? offscreen lol
Nov 3, 2019 12:46 PM

May 2018
I hope Thorkell is gonna beat him, although I don't think that would happen

Thorfinn is the mc so he can't really lose
Nov 3, 2019 12:52 PM
Jul 2018
yeah another episode that could had been 5/5 but the animation is really not letting it happen..

honestly quite relieved to know the next episode gonna be delay so that we can have more hope to see some more QUALITY
Nov 3, 2019 1:00 PM

May 2015
welcum2savage said:
nanashi796 said:
that translation is exaggerated in reality he says this
the official kodansha translation released in the US is how I quoted it, thats a fansub. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-mpxyjW4AABbnl.jpg
i have the volumes in my language and it's almost the same as this translation.
Nov 3, 2019 1:07 PM
Apr 2015
Elucid said:
Simeon_99 said:

Yeah, they nerfed the fuck out of demon Thorkell, that scene was lame. I had also hoped Askeladds fight scenes would look better. The direction in this episode was dissapointing.

Look, I’ll admit. The animation was disappointing, I might lower my score if they mess up future important moments. Well, not all of it was, but we are reaching the peak of the show here. Come on WIT.
It does feel like a side project now, I can forgive WIT here, but that’s the last forgiveness I’ll give.

You guys forget how this adaption is good ??
Vinlan saga was should be with staff berserk 2016 to be know what mean wit studio
Nov 3, 2019 1:07 PM

Jan 2009
welcum2savage said:
deg said:
btw where is Ear of Askeladd? is he dead? offscreen lol
you'll see him next episode ;)

nice thanks for the info there
Nov 3, 2019 1:15 PM

Feb 2013
Florent3571 said:
I loved the ep but after seeing a lot of people saying the manga was better I checked and indeed the anime didn't really do justice to the manga's art. That said I still think the story is very well told and I will stick to the anime.

Very hyped for the next ep, that extra week is gonna be the death of me.

extra week? Will there be no episode next week?
Nov 3, 2019 1:17 PM
Jul 2018
Damm....Askeladd
Nov 3, 2019 1:21 PM

Sep 2019
Holy crap this series just keeps on giving. I'm so happy it's 24 ep and still ongoing, pretty much saves this lackluster autumn season for me.
Nov 3, 2019 1:30 PM

May 2019
Please don't die Askeladd
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Nov 3, 2019 1:41 PM

Jan 2019
Now guys, don't think I don't think this episode is not good.
It's great, I was just disappointed with some sequences that could have been more highlighted through animation.
Like the Thorkell trauma scene, that's probably my biggest problem. That and the battle between Askeladd's men and Thorkell's men, it felt a little lackluster.
I loved everything else tbh. Askeladd's fight wasn't Imai level, but I still loved it.
I just wish for episode 4/14 quality next episode.

ziad1419 said:
Elucid said:

Look, I’ll admit. The animation was disappointing, I might lower my score if they mess up future important moments. Well, not all of it was, but we are reaching the peak of the show here. Come on WIT.
It does feel like a side project now, I can forgive WIT here, but that’s the last forgiveness I’ll give.

You guys forget how this adaption is good ??
Vinlan saga was should be with staff berserk 2016 to be know what mean wit studio

It's a competant adaptation, yes. Unlike its Seinen brothers.
Unfortunately projects like this don't get the best of budgets.
ElucidNov 3, 2019 1:47 PM
Nov 3, 2019 1:47 PM

Feb 2019
I love this episode. Even as a manga reader, I was trilled and interested. Also loved the background song when Askeladd was surrounded. It was the same from that moment when Thorfinn was about to fight Thorkell.
Nov 3, 2019 1:53 PM

Mar 2019
Masterpiece episode !!
Dunno why people are whining over the animation and some other stuff, As a non-manga reader the episode was intense so much. And WiT is doing very well with this anime, probably better than 90% of the action-packed animes in 2019. People just love to whine over everything and anything, even animes like AoT, KnY etc .. had faced similar kind of "stupid" criticism of adaptation.
On the other hand, I loved everything in this episode,The OSTs, the thriller and tension, Thorfinn's entrance to the battlefield. I'm so excited for the upcoming episode !
XelecusNov 3, 2019 1:58 PM
Nov 3, 2019 2:47 PM
Oct 2016
animation in some scenes in this episode was very jovial hopefully next time there will be a good animation for this fight Thorfinn vs Thorkell 😕
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 3, 2019 2:48 PM
Feb 2018
I noticed a obvious quality drop these last episodes so I checked the chapters for this episode after everybody requested to do it in this topic. And thank to all of you i'll probably read the manga after the anime's end. The Vinland Saga manga seems amazing !
Nov 3, 2019 3:12 PM

Jan 2019
Oh btw guys. Next episode contains my favourite moment in the entire show, including my favourite anime quote of all time. I'm sure manga readers would know what I'm referring to.
If they fuck this next episode up, my score is decreasing to an 8.
Nov 3, 2019 3:35 PM
May 2017
This episode was great. I only had a few tiny nitpicks about this episode that I wouldn't have cared about if I didn't read the manga. Small scenes like the animation not matching for Thorkell scaring the literally living shit out of Torgrim not matching what I wanted as well as Askeladd's helmet scene.

Nov 3, 2019 3:41 PM

Dec 2013
A really strong episode with a hype cliffhanger. Next episode can’t come soon enough!
Nov 3, 2019 3:51 PM
Apr 2015
Elucid said:
Oh btw guys. Next episode contains my favourite moment in the entire show, including my favourite anime quote of all time. I'm sure manga readers would know what I'm referring to.

Brother
You just should drop anime
Don't like this adaptation ??
If drop it and And do not cause inconvenience to watchers anime
Nov 3, 2019 4:01 PM
Jun 2019
I was really disappointed by episode 16. It wasn't bad by any means but its production value was severely lacking in comparison to the episodes prior, and I thought it was foreboding the quality of the episodes coming. I'm glad to say this episode picked up all the slack episode 16 had left behind, and then some. I'm glad to see that these adaption is still getting the quality is deserves as it heads into the climax of the arc.
Nov 3, 2019 4:05 PM

Apr 2018
Decent episode with a mix of bad and good animation.
And I think the Animation and art is the weakest points of this show so far. maybe the staff couldn't keep up with makoto yukimura's art? Idk
Nov 3, 2019 4:07 PM

Mar 2018
The amount of complaints in this thread does not add up with the amount of 5/5's at all... Anyway fantastic ep
Nov 3, 2019 4:15 PM

Jan 2019
ziad1419 said:
Elucid said:

Brother

Brother you’ve got the wrong idea, I’m loving this anime. Check my profile, I’ve given it a 10. The anime reaches the very peak next episode, I only want the best.
Nov 3, 2019 4:19 PM

Feb 2014
If it wasn't for the censorship, this show would have famed more than GOT.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Nov 3, 2019 4:30 PM
Jul 2019
Can't wait for the next episode.
Nov 3, 2019 4:40 PM

Jul 2015
Lelouch0202 said:
Fantastic episode.

To be honest, I don't know what people are complaining about. The animation and art were still pretty nice.

Interesting scene with Askeladd's backstory and his Mom's what I presume is her dying wish.
Bjorn's loyalty is nice to see and Thorfinn the absolute madman just charging into the battle yelling at Thorkell to let Askeladd go because he'll be the one to kill him.

Torgrim got absolutely wrecked by Thorkell as expected, it was still good to see.
The part where Thorkell just punched that horse almost gave me chills, like holy shit!

Excited for Thorfinn vs Thorkell next episode.

Yep, this episode was really great. WIT really does a great job when it comes to the scenery and backgroung art too.
Nov 3, 2019 4:41 PM
Jul 2018
Holy shit. This series was WAY better than I remember back when I first read it. I love the way how, even when shit hits the fan, it can switch to this more dramatic, kinda emotional flashback, with emotional music, and then switch back to the present. If there's one word I'd use to sum up this series, it is weight: every scene has so much emotional weight behind it. Whether it's the violence, the dramatic scenes, there's just a lot of weight, a lot of emotion, something that a lot of drama anime I've watched couldn't accomplish.
And then right near the end where Thorfinn's about to face off against Thorkell, and the music gets dramatic and epic...chills.
People have said that the reason that this anime isn't getting more attention is because it doesn't have that, "big shock" scene like Attack On Titan, yet I think this episode was a big shock, in how much gravity there was to everything: from the flashback showcasing Askeladd's motivation, to his anger, to the faceoff near the end. It's just fucking epic.

Elucid said:
ziad1419 said:

Brother

Brother you’ve got the wrong idea, I’m loving this anime. Check my profile, I’ve given it a 10. The anime reaches the very peak next episode, I only want the best.

I think Wit has perfectly adapted this series so far. The "filler" episodes I think just made it better. So I seriously doubt the next episode won't follow the manga.

Doostine_ said:
I was really disappointed by episode 16. It wasn't bad by any means but its production value was severely lacking in comparison to the episodes prior, and I thought it was foreboding the quality of the episodes coming. I'm glad to say this episode picked up all the slack episode 16 had left behind, and then some. I'm glad to see that these adaption is still getting the quality is deserves as it heads into the climax of the arc.

I don't understand. Why do people think the animation was worse in the previous episode(s)? I mean I don't think it's amazing, but I don't think it's bad either.
Nov 3, 2019 4:44 PM

Aug 2012
For me, Vinland Saga just keeps getting better. Interesting plot and some interesting characters.
Nov 3, 2019 4:58 PM
Aug 2019
Elucid said:
ziad1419 said:

Brother

Yeah I know what you mean. Maybe standards are different depending on whether you're a manga or anime-only viewer?
I guess manga readers are a little disappointed because we know how well the panels for these scenes stood out, especially the torgrim/thorkell intimidation scene, which I was looking forward to seeing.
I doubt the coming duel will be animated differently than the fight in episode 9, since from SnK to episode 9 they've nailed really important scenes.
Nov 3, 2019 5:07 PM

Nov 2015
Alca said:
OMG! I wish I could travel 1 week into the future just to watch the next episode! This fight is going to be so amazing! CANT WAIT ANY LONGER!

I don't wanna be that guy , but you have to travel 2 weeks mate.
Nov 3, 2019 5:08 PM

Nov 2015
Amazing episode , I know the animation sucked at some parts , but people are exgarrating lol
Nov 3, 2019 5:11 PM

Jan 2018
What an absolute god like episode. With that cliff hanger you know it's just going to be even better next episode. Thorkell is an absolute monster. Askeladd fighting his men was awesome as well, I can't wait to see where his character goes from here. 5/5 as always.
Nov 3, 2019 5:15 PM

Jan 2011
hype ass episode leading into even more hype bummer about the animation with how action focus this episode was i mean the cut of Thorkell cutting through dudes last week looked really good so was expecting even more ,hopefully the duel will look great.
Nov 3, 2019 6:08 PM

Oct 2015
I still can't believe Thorkell punched a horse to consciousness, that's one of the baddest moments I've ever seen this season, along with the spear attack of last week :O The guy can't stop to amaze.

Thorfinn versus Thorkell, shit, made this episode seemed like it was Ten minutes, the way I was enjoying it.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 3, 2019 6:16 PM

Jan 2019
najumobi said:
Elucid said:

Yeah I know what you mean. Maybe standards are different depending on whether you're a manga or anime-only viewer?
I guess manga readers are a little disappointed because we know how well the panels for these scenes stood out, especially the torgrim/thorkell intimidation scene, which I was looking forward to seeing.
I doubt the coming duel will be animated differently than the fight in episode 9, since from SnK to episode 9 they've nailed really important scenes.

Yeah, it's probably standards. The manga is definitely better, but that doesn't mean that this episode isn't great.
If you take the manga comparison out of the equation, this wouldn't be disappointing. Just a few animation hiccups and that's all.
Nevertheless, a tense and enjoyable episode with some great art and characterisation. Brilliant writing.
Nov 3, 2019 6:25 PM

Sep 2018
I just see manga readers complain it about the episode, I'm not a manga reader so... for me was a great episode
I keep moving forward
Nov 3, 2019 7:15 PM

Jan 2018
> Looks like the plan backfired on Torgrim's side. Askeladd will have that last laugh after all.
> It's been a while since I've last seen Bjorn's berserk mode. Cool.
> Thorkell vs Thorfinn. The long-awaited rematch is about to come. Cannot wait.

One more thing: Thorfinn, I hope you will control your emotions this time.

Anyways, what a great episode. Looking forward to the next one.
Nainu_Nov 3, 2019 7:20 PM
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

804 by Xeehad »»
Jun 9, 12:47 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2019

175 by Xeehad »»
Jun 9, 7:51 AM

» Mulanjyou sounds different on Apple Music

Raionshin19 - Jun 3

20 by Raionshin19 »»
Jun 6, 8:19 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

272 by MainAxe9880 »»
Jun 5, 3:00 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

167 by MainAxe9880 »»
Jun 5, 2:28 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.