Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 13, 3:43 PM

May 2021
It's a good start however am kind of annoyed how main character keeps thinking himself a failure and wondering how the cool commander can deal with such scary monsters easily... Shithead, she has a 100mil canon on her waist a fucking tiger and 15 soldiers covering her ass while you have a broom stick. It's also illogical how they give soldiers guns that can hurt monsters but decide not to use those on helicopters, tanks and issue police officers some. Hell if the appearance of these monsters is so frequent (3 a day by the judge of it) I'd fully expect military patrols through the city. But naah, don't think about it.

Ending "twist" was also super expected but even then it felt like an afterthought. Whole show is giving me Attack on Titan vibes which am not sure if it's good or not. Also screaming as a form of comedy will always bring a score down by one from me. I just can't get over that.
Apr 13, 4:04 PM
Mar 2019
Production IG....!!!! What a first episode! Motivation, and secret origin all in one. On top of that, Mina looks bad a@@. I wouldn't be surprised if shen ends up in several best girls of the season list.
Apr 13, 4:09 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
What a great pilot. I’ve been looking forward to this adaptation forever now it seems like and it did not disappoint in the slightest though I was taken off a bit by one republics ending, not that it’s bad just wasn’t expecting it. Looking forward to next weeks episode
Apr 13, 4:09 PM

Feb 2019
that made Kafka and Ichikawa BFFs in 0-time flat lol
Apr 13, 4:21 PM
Jun 2023
Good first episode. For whatever reason I really dislike the character art style but otherwise everything was solid. Looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 13, 4:34 PM
Jan 2022
so how long til the childhood friends are reunited? I hope they don't drag it out too long
Apr 13, 4:38 PM
Jan 2022
This really transferred well from the manga to the anime. I think they managed to stretch out the beginning long enough to make feel like they added in filler. It's not that bad but not a 5/5
Apr 13, 4:42 PM

Nov 2023
This is actually really cool, I'm excited now.

A very good first episode; it makes me want more. 
Apr 13, 4:47 PM

Apr 2012
It was okay I guess. Unfortunately, it's less seinen or more silly bs like Boku no Hero Academia.

2 things I really hated:

- the chase-scene was super dumb. The monster should have easily caught up with him, but camera saved him. Just unnecessary, do it better.
- the girl killed the kaijuu with a gun. Why couldn't they just attach that gun to helicopters and shoot the kaijuu that way? "Because a hot girl running and jumping with superhuman abilities is cooler", huh?
If you haven't watched "Fantastic Children", don't talk about "best anime". Thank you.
Apr 13, 5:01 PM

Sep 2023
Welp Kafka's job sure isn't fun 😅 But this looks really interesting story wise and I don't mind the simple chara design, they are very expressive. Animation is top notch too!

One thing that bothered me though is why would you send a team of humans to shoot the Kaiju from the ground instead of mounting that cannon in an helicopter and kill the Kaiju from afar...
Apr 13, 5:05 PM

May 2018
Sub and Dub released on same day?! I haven't seen this since Space Dandy. Glad to have it!

Excellent start. Kafka's transformation scene was very well done. Kafka and Ichikawa are SO likeable!

I hate that Kafka feels like a failure. His job as a cleaner matters more than he believes it does.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Apr 13, 5:10 PM
Aug 2016
first ep kind of mid
Apr 13, 5:17 PM

Feb 2020
That was good. The pv and promotional art got me doubting it but episode 1 was good. I hope they keep it up with the same quality.

Also, I still can't believe they got OneRepublic and YUNGBLUD to sing for an anime, out of anyone else in the world, like why????? 😭😭😭
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 5:22 PM

Jun 2015
Why can't they just attach those weapons onto a helicopter?

You can't pretend to have a shounen rivalry when all their accomplishments are carried by technology. The lack of super powers actually ruins all their encounters with the Kaiju cause the Kaiju look weak af if a normal human can hold them off.

At least we have an adult shounen cast. I like the big kitty kat; it's so cuteee!!

I love the twist there at the end!!! So we are gonna have at least one person with super powers. Maybe this means that the Defense Force people are also superhuman, which would resolve all of my issues with the show.

4/5 start. Looks like a decent show.
Read Toriko!
Apr 13, 5:23 PM
Jun 2021
Reply to MeanEYE
It's a good start however am kind of annoyed how main character keeps thinking himself a failure and wondering how the cool commander can deal with such scary monsters easily... Shithead, she has a 100mil canon on her waist a fucking tiger and 15 soldiers covering her ass while you have a broom stick. It's also illogical how they give soldiers guns that can hurt monsters but decide not to use those on helicopters, tanks and issue police officers some. Hell if the appearance of these monsters is so frequent (3 a day by the judge of it) I'd fully expect military patrols through the city. But naah, don't think about it.

Ending "twist" was also super expected but even then it felt like an afterthought. Whole show is giving me Attack on Titan vibes which am not sure if it's good or not. Also screaming as a form of comedy will always bring a score down by one from me. I just can't get over that.
@MeanEYE You have to remember that he pretty much got left behind all alone to try and pass while she was able to instantly move on emotionally it seems. He clearly would think of himself poorly, this shit is actual trauma, lol.
Didn't read the manga but from what I learned this episode she is a vile and terrible friend that went no contact with him from one moment to another and essentially showed him that he isn't good enough to be called even once a month to check on him or to tell him "do your best, I am waiting".
Seems like she wants to only have people of high status around her, more power to her, whatever. Kafka can try when he is commander or whatever it is called, kek.

Wouldn't suprise me if there is a guy in the team that she got REALLY close to that will be annoying for the remainder of the series. I like my shipping as much as anyone else but if she is gonna be super close to another dude and only will be redeemed later with "I waited so long u r finally here uwu!" when she denied his existence for so long, I pray that there is no minor romance subplot at all, lmao.

But from what I've seen you are right about that part about her being carried by op weapons and an op team. It made no sense to me that she is worshipped as a god only enabled by the plotholes you pointed out, meh

Apr 13, 5:25 PM

Jun 2015
Reply to MeanEYE

@MeanEYE Same bro! I hated his internal monologue about how strong she is when she's just blasting them with a gun. Maybe these people in the Defense Force are injected with Kaiju fluids or something.
Read Toriko!
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Jan 2019
Been a while since I've seen something from Production I.G., looks like they've still got it. If the rest of the episodes are as good as this one, we'll be in for a fun ride. The particle FX during the flashback scene were pretty good. Was kind of surprised to hear an english ED song from OneRepublic, but it was honestly really good.
Apr 13, 5:49 PM
Jun 2021
Reply to phantom346
@MeanEYE Same bro! I hated his internal monologue about how strong she is when she's just blasting them with a gun. Maybe these people in the Defense Force are injected with Kaiju fluids or something.
@phantom346 also just answered MeanEYE and mosty agreed but about what you typed, it seems like "normal humans" (even him) are just thinking like that due to lack of information. I am not a manga reader and obviously don't know all details yet but from this episode it seemed like she was using a special op sniper. For me that would only put her on the level of the peeps with normal op guns that did the slick maneuvers.

She pretty much is chilling in the back waiting to safely execute the enemy, mh. Hope there is more to it and that the whole "can't have special gun on helis and turrets" thing is explained at some point.
Apr 13, 6:52 PM

Jan 2011
Well this was a unique start. I like it so far. The animations is really good. I can also dig the character design too. It's simple but what's wrong with that no need to over design if you don't have to.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Apr 13, 6:55 PM

Sep 2016
Nice episode.
too bad I read the manga and already know it's going to shit really really soon.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 13, 6:55 PM
Jan 2024
WOw is the best anime of the season
Apr 13, 7:27 PM
Aug 2021
With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
He pulls the spitting high tension wires down
Helpless people on a subway train
Scream bug-eyed as he looks in on them
He picks up a bus and he throws it back down
As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town
Oh no, they say, he's got to go
Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh no, they say he's got to go
Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go Godzilla, yeah
Godzilla
Godzilla
Rinji news o moshiagemasu
Rinji news o moshiagemasu
Godzilla ga Ginza hoomen e mukatte imasu
Daishkyu hinan shite kudasai
Daishkyu hinan shite kudasai
Oh no, they say, he's got to go
Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go Godzilla, yeah
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men
Godzilla
Godzilla
Godzilla
Godzilla
Apr 13, 7:41 PM
Nov 2023
An okay first episode very predictable but enjoyable, the production quality is amazing but the character designs are straight out of fortnite lol
Apr 13, 7:43 PM
Jun 2023
It was a nice start Even better than what i thought, now i wish the whole show goes by the same quality but I'm more concerned about if they'll get near the manga before ending this season.
Apr 13, 7:46 PM

Mar 2022
Reply to BitChilly
It might just be me, but I get a really heavy feel of inspiration and motivation coming from Kafka's character development direction because of that spark reigniting for him to chase after his dreams once again at his age.

Also I can't be the only one that gets a Chainsaw Man-like feel from the type of world that Kaiju is set in, and hoping that the team from Production I.G. really keeps the production this good moving on forward.

Good luck on those watching on X by the way, hope things stay well on that end
@BitChilly as someone thats getting older its pretty nice to see an anime character in their early 30's reigniting their passions again. Super inspirational and im excited to see where it goes.
Apr 13, 7:52 PM

Jul 2016
Woah, honestly surprised with how much I ended up enjoying this. Guess this is my favorite premiere of the season.

Really nice start overall. Already liking Kafka and the dynamic he shares with his kouhai, Ichikawa, seems rather endearing.
Animation and visuals look excellent as well. As expected from the studio (and staff) that made Heavenly Delusion.
My only concern as of now is how they will handle Mina's character. Hope she doesn't become too much of a pain to her childhood friend and listen to reasons.
Apr 13, 8:07 PM
Sep 2023
So a question for those that read the manga…how did you feel about the first episode? I did read the first chapter but forever ago, I’m wondering if you think the anime adapted it well, if you like the voice cast, the pacing, does the anime leave anything out etc? Overall what are your thoughts?
Apr 13, 8:12 PM
Oct 2016
lindo primer cap <3 recomiendo
Apr 13, 8:25 PM
Jun 2012
Really nice introduction.

The MC can't seem to catch a break though.

Instantly recognised One Republic for the ED!

Also, this may just be me, or it may be an optical illusion, but in the very first pan over the city, were two building turning with the camera????
Apr 13, 8:50 PM

Dec 2016
Not bad, but not great either.

It had really cool action scenes, but it also had some really static shots that lingered far too much for my liking. I do love the setting with giant monsters attacking Japan and having a dedicated task force prepared to get rid of these monsters. On the other hand even though the main characters are adults, Kafka still feels like the most steretypical teen shonen protag with his loud yells and overreactions. A lot of people say that the chara designer comes from the OG Naruto, but for me the whole vibe felt more like Fire Force (specially the cheesy shonen humor) which is probably more meh in my books.

I'll watch a few more episodes and decide if I should keep on watching.
Apr 13, 9:08 PM
Jun 2016
I really enjoyed this first episode. I felt like the voice actors nailed how I imagined the characters sounding in the manga. Now that we have got the first transformation out of the way, the real fun begins.
Apr 13, 9:17 PM

Apr 2015
Not a fan of the simple character designs, but the animation is pretty good so I'd say overall the sacrifice is worth it. The comedy was pretty good. I didn't expect to laugh much but Kafka and Ichikawa have a pretty fun dynamic. I like that Kafka's on the older side; you don't see that many shounen protagonists in their 30s. Pretty good start, albeit a bit cliche for a shounen. Kind of tiring to see shounen protagonists getting a power-up from the get-go.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Apr 13, 9:29 PM

Mar 2007
Wow dang, now that is how you do a first episode! Great music and OST, decent story, well directed.

Apr 13, 9:29 PM

May 2019
Decent first episode and since I'm going into this blind everything will be a surprise. On that note the kaiju appear to be monsters of all sizes as the first one introduced was as big as Godzilla but the one that entered Kafka was very small.

I'm curious as to what that monster meant when he said "found you" as if Kafka was targeted for some reason and even though he may now be considered a kaiju he still seems to have his mind.
Apr 13, 9:52 PM

Jul 2011
That exceeded my expectations! Really liking the older cast and pacing so far, especially the MC being a fully developed adult chasing his dream again to catch up to a childhood promise (Uchuu Kyoudai anyone? <3).

Glad I went into this blind. Looking forward to how this develops, I think it might the sleeper hit of the season.

The world doesn't seem really all the special or unique compared to other similar stories, so hopefully the story telling is very well executed.

Also random side note, I love the white tiger that's part of the team! Makes me reminiscent of Tegami Bachi.
Apr 13, 9:56 PM

Jun 2013
I mean at least he turned into a beast instead of a cockroach which is better I think
Apr 13, 10:14 PM
Mar 2015
Our boi is now a kaiju and his gril is hunting him
Apr 13, 10:17 PM
Apr 2020
I was a little skeptical of the first couple minutes, but it grew on me and is actually pretty good
Apr 13, 10:32 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
Senshi from Dungeon Meshi should have been there to clean up that godzilla-like kaijuu. Ngl, having been watching Dungeon Meshi made that kaijuu meat look appetizing.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Apr 13, 10:40 PM

Dec 2018
Wow, hell of an opener, what an ending too. I hope he can return, but he was really brave for what he did. I like the young guy too. Looks like we'll have a weird showdown between him and the woman but what exactly happened with that strange monster?
Apr 13, 10:45 PM
Jul 2016
DAMN that music is good! The animation is fantastic and very well stylized. This is definitely my fav for the season.
Apr 13, 10:52 PM
Oct 2019
It's finally here Kaiju No.8
Amazing Premiere!!
I actually like our MC is an adult this time, not another teenager again.
now this is the MC we can relate.

Shoutout to Production I.G staff!!

Omg how much they pay OneRepublic to sing the ED song lol
Apr 13, 10:54 PM
May 2019
ED from OneRepublic pretty good
Apr 13, 11:35 PM
Jun 2016
So I've read maybe about 30 or so chapters back when this started out. Dug it a lot, but the every-other-week pace made it hard to keep up with. Wasn't too sure about the long-term conflict and character goals the manga had either but had plans to pick it back up and binge-read after more was out. But then the anime got announced. An anime is a great opportunity to reinvest oneself in a story in situations like this. Reinvigorate and re-excite with newly earned energy.

That said this was a DAMN good debut. One of the best anime debut episodes of any new Shonen property in a while. You can see it in the story-boarding, in the soundtrack, in the animation, and most importantly reinterpreting scenes visually from a manga-format to a tv-format. Highly exciting, emotional, concise, and clear in vision.

After the shock and awe wears off there's a tendency to grow back out of love when all the small nit-picks you started to have come home to roost. But we'll wait and see. Nonetheless, the first episode does exactly what it needs to. It demonstrates exactly what fans of the genre tend to look for and does it with complete clarity and bad-ass-ed-ness. Simplicity and complexity. Maturity and verve. Action and introspection. Fantasy and reality.
Apr 13, 11:41 PM

Dec 2018
Enjoyed it a lot. But I, for some reason am getting a lot of 2000s anime vibe from this.
Apr 14, 12:06 AM

Jan 2024
Wow, that was pretty cool. Can't wait for more. I love Kaijus. Sad they don't fight with big mechas though like in pacific rim lol
Apr 14, 12:07 AM

Aug 2013
Production I.G. tends to put out bangers so I'm hoping this will be better in the stretch. First impressions were pretty much as expected with another title that carries a whole lotta hype. It's okay...nothing spectacular just yet. The action/animation with the music feels like it'll do much of the carrying but nothing outside the norm in my honest opinion. Heavenly Delusion was good, the manga is a trip there so...we'll see how this goes as the weeks carry forward.
Don't believe the hype.
Apr 14, 12:27 AM
Jan 2012
This was great, I'm hyped.
Apr 14, 12:28 AM

Nov 2023
Well, I already caught up the manga. So I'm thinking of continuing it in anime.

I know people make promises all the time
Then they turn right around and break them
When someone cuts your heart open with a knife, now you're bleeding
But I could be that guy to heal it over time
And I won't stop until you believe it
'Cause baby you're worth it
Apr 14, 12:39 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Well art style kinda like an old-school one, especially since this show is about kaijuu. Animation so far decent, and the music gives a gopd vibe for more action. A new way to show another side of kaijuu fighters with those cleanup workers with our mc, Kafka, was the one of it. Imagine you take care of Godzilla shit. Oh yeah just by imagining that i can't find myself eat fine here lmao 💀

Anyway idk how much effort Kafka did with the exam entrance, i also don't get how he's being targeted for and became a monster. Perhaps whoever asked those mosquito yaju to be eaten, dislike Kafka as a cleaner dude to the point they decided to make him joins kaijuu side xd.

Whatever that means, this is worth to check every week. Let's see next on x
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jas-samaaa - Jun 1

121 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - May 25

156 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 1:12 PM

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Fortress_Maximus - May 18

115 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 12:35 AM

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

otakuweek - May 11

147 by NillyPC »»
Yesterday, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Ricky16 - May 4

204 by NillyPC »»
Jun 6, 11:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.