Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 5, 2015 10:57 PM

Apr 2010
Acxelion said:
So wait, can I get a bit of an explanation please.

The "invisible storm" is what?

What the F was that court thing?

What was that flower-s3x scene?

I NEED AN EXPLANATION OF WHAT I JUST SAW!

Just wait. Ikuhara loves to pull stuff like that.
Jan 5, 2015 11:03 PM

Aug 2013
what the hell even just happened ??
i mean i liked it, but, what ???
wow gay
Jan 5, 2015 11:31 PM

Feb 2014
Loved the OP, the actual episode itself left me a little confused. I'm not sure if I'll like this but I think I'll watch the next couple of episodes then see if I'll drop it or not.
Jan 5, 2015 11:37 PM

Jun 2013
What the fucking shit did I just watch?? I can't do it, not even for the Yui voice.

Looks like some Shaft wannabe shit

Welcome first dropped of the season.
Jan 5, 2015 11:58 PM

Apr 2010
noctaf said:
That was pure genius. I Love you, Ikuhara.

lucidbrandon said:

Looks like we're gonna have to deal with retarded uninformed comments like this for the rest of the season.

Sadly some people cannot appreciate the greatness that is Ikuhara.
Jan 5, 2015 11:59 PM

Sep 2014
Haters gonna hate.
Jan 6, 2015 12:07 AM

Nov 2012
lmao what the fuck is this 3rd rate anime?
i just randomly clicked this on kissanime without seeing the cover, description or anything lol
its a show that trying to be good yet so bad like sharknado lol
the glasses main girl is ugly AF,
"everything is gonna be daijobu"
monokuma should come and butcher them all
ninjastarforcexJan 6, 2015 12:11 AM
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Jan 6, 2015 12:10 AM
May 2014
Solkiskey said:

is he trying to be like David Lynch of anime or something?
lacznoscJan 6, 2015 12:15 AM
Jan 6, 2015 12:20 AM

Mar 2008
That is some trippy dippy shit. lol Best part was Kureaha got eaten out by those 2 bears. =3 Gonna continue to follow this.
Jan 6, 2015 12:24 AM

Mar 2012
Ikuni is pandering to me and I'm loving every single minute of it. It's a damn shame this is only going to be one cour.

lucidbrandon said:

Jan 6, 2015 12:25 AM

May 2013
Gao gao~

I suddenly remembered Gaworare but oh well.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jan 6, 2015 12:30 AM

Dec 2007
ninjastarforcex said:
i just randomly clicked this on kissanime without seeing the cover, description or anything lol

Perfect guide on how NOT to start shows by Ikuhara.
Jan 6, 2015 12:31 AM

Jan 2011
Solkiskey said:
noctaf said:
That was pure genius. I Love you, Ikuhara.

Looks like we're gonna have to deal with retarded uninformed comments like this for the rest of the season.

some people cannot appreciate trolling of Ikuhara sadly
Jan 6, 2015 12:48 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I feel like one of those tsukkomi characters who gets so overworked he doesn't know where to start ranting. Seriously this was one of the strangest things I've seen in forever lol

Also who the fuck came up with the brilliant idea of putting Ogura Yui's voice on a fkn glasses girl? Awful -.-
Jan 6, 2015 1:12 AM

Jul 2013
Well, this is weird af, but I kind of mixed in here. Although I watched it with weird subs, I think I got the general understanding here. I'll watch it again when there are proper subs coming out.

I pretty much like the art, character designs, and how it is both cute and dark at the same. Bears attacking people, that is pretty much a weird concept for a innocent cute show.

Though I don't know what should I say in here. It's weird and ambiguous, but at the same time, I'm pretty intrigued. I just had this WTF face on that OP song, going Yuri to full extent. ED song was pretty normal.

Jan 6, 2015 1:14 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
omega_d94 said:
Well, this is weird af, but I kind of mixed in here. Although I watched it with weird subs, I think I got the general understanding here. I'll watch it again when there are proper subs coming out.
Asenshi has already subbed it, they're definitely legit
Jan 6, 2015 1:26 AM

Aug 2011
Wow, what was that. lol

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Jan 6, 2015 2:06 AM

Nov 2014
I'm glad I took the time to watch Utena, before starting Yurikuma. Otherwise I'd have been extremely confused.
But I really came to like Ikuhara's style while watching Utena, he directed one of my favourite Sailor Moon seasons and I assume that Utena wouldn't have been so subtle either, if it had been released in 2014.

I have no idea where Yurikuma is going to take me, but I'm looking forward to this crazy ride.

This is going to be one hell of a weird season with Binan Koukou Chikyuu starting tonight... :3
Jan 6, 2015 2:15 AM

Jan 2014
Wtf?Ok...Yup...Got it...
Jan 6, 2015 2:34 AM
Jul 2018
shawnofthedeadz said:
bastek66 said:
Did she die?
NOOO! Not to pick on you Bastek, but people, this is probably one of the more important scenes to understand what is implied.

OwaruSekai said:
A bit of "trivia" to help facilitate further interpretation. There are a lot of sexual innuendos being thrown around. Some less obvious than others. For example: 蜜/mitsu/honey, nectar - can refer to vaginal secretion. 蜜壷/mitsutsubo/honey jar - building upon your newly found knowledge - what could it possibly mean? (for the slightly mentally impaired - vagina). Also, "eating" in Japanese, like in English, can have a sexual connotation as well. Make of it what you will.
This is the biggest explanation and probably one of the better ones. In that scene Kureha was implied to have been EATEN. As Ginko and Lulu licked the Honey off the LILY (YURI- In Japanese which also has reference to Vagina in both English and Japanese) that was growing on Kureha (aka her own lily).

The big plot twist of the episode, aka the hook (if you want the real literary term) came from the fact that Ginko and Lulu appeared to actually eat Izu. We don't know why yet, maybe they live off Yuri but still need to eat? Who knows, we will have to find out.

Thought occured to me that the lily sprouted from her chest,which could symbolize her heart and the bears licked honey,which is something sweet and could stand for love for Sumiko,clean. They "ate" her love out of her and they ate Sumiko as well.
Jan 6, 2015 3:01 AM

Apr 2009
Typically Ikuhara, very playful albeit a lot more by the book than Penguindrumm by the looks of it.

I wonder, though: Are most of you people here not able to understand basic symbolism? If so, I pity you. Nectar and eating are not that subtle... you might get problems if Ikuhara really starts incorporating a few more levels of content left for interpretation later on.
NidhoeggrJan 6, 2015 3:05 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jan 6, 2015 3:22 AM

Jan 2012
Well, we already know AOTY
Jan 6, 2015 3:26 AM

May 2012
The rooftop, the poses, the stairs were Utena as fuck.
So far Ikuhara symbolism has been a bit too blatant (Yuri vs. Lesbians?), but cosindering its lenght it might be necessary? Idk, hope there's more than meet the eyes - like Utena - and it'll manage to keep his stuff together - unlike Penguindrum.
Jan 6, 2015 3:33 AM

Feb 2014
I hoped for bears and lesbians and heavy symbolism. Ikuhara delivers.
Jan 6, 2015 3:37 AM

Nov 2012
DeadIEnd said:
ninjastarforcex said:

what is ikuhara
Jan 6, 2015 3:41 AM

Jul 2013
ninjastarforcex said:
DeadIEnd said:

what is ikuhara

Jan 6, 2015 3:41 AM

Jun 2011
Such confusing awesomeness a very interesting start.
Jan 6, 2015 3:43 AM

Nov 2012
HachiKirra said:
ninjastarforcex said:
what is ikuhara

how come he directed both awesome nodame and this piece of weird shit?!
Jan 6, 2015 4:08 AM

Aug 2009
ninjastarforcex said:

how come he directed both awesome nodame and this piece of weird shit?!

He only did the opening to Nodame and it was quite in line with his usual aesthetics.
Jan 6, 2015 4:52 AM

Aug 2014
awesome :D
Jan 6, 2015 5:14 AM

Oct 2010
oh no Genres: Shoujo Ai
Jan 6, 2015 5:15 AM

Nov 2013
Well, I was promised Yuri as well as Bears, and we got both. A bunch of yuri metaphors thrown in there. I guess I'll give this one a shot despite it being oddly weird and perhaps mildly entertaining, and watch the second episode when it comes out.
Jan 6, 2015 5:25 AM

Sep 2014
DejWoSWK said:
shawnofthedeadz said:
NOOO! Not to pick on you Bastek, but people, this is probably one of the more important scenes to understand what is implied.

This is the biggest explanation and probably one of the better ones. In that scene Kureha was implied to have been EATEN. As Ginko and Lulu licked the Honey off the LILY (YURI- In Japanese which also has reference to Vagina in both English and Japanese) that was growing on Kureha (aka her own lily).

The big plot twist of the episode, aka the hook (if you want the real literary term) came from the fact that Ginko and Lulu appeared to actually eat Izu. We don't know why yet, maybe they live off Yuri but still need to eat? Who knows, we will have to find out.

Thought occured to me that the lily sprouted from her chest,which could symbolize her heart and the bears licked honey,which is something sweet and could stand for love for Sumiko,clean. They "ate" her love out of her and they ate Sumiko as well.

If you add some western symbolism (ikuhara used them before) lilium could also represent virginity (Virgin Mary, see the stylized lilly in the OP).

Lets wait and see...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Jan 6, 2015 5:26 AM

Apr 2010
With a name like Yuri Kuma Arashi i wasn't expecting much.
And it seems my expectations where right this is one of the strangest things i have seen in a while.
Last season we has Twintail Madness but this is a howl new level.

It's just strange.
Jan 6, 2015 5:30 AM

Dec 2013
So much WTF with this first episode. Still fairly interesting for some reason. Especially with the second half.
Jan 6, 2015 5:32 AM
Oct 2013
All the confusion is pretty normal from works of Ikuhara Kunihiko.

I don't think anyone could understand enough in one episode, but I'll say watch some more episodes first.
Jan 6, 2015 5:38 AM

Oct 2013
Lesbians vs bears; me vs confusion.
Jan 6, 2015 5:54 AM

Apr 2013
subs i watched it with were shitty but i was able to understand it

character designs are pretty meh

overall style and symoblism is pretty interesting i guess but also strange

the setting is quite unique

dialogue is close to being cringe worthy though..

ed was pretty good

yeahh... not sure yet probably not a series for me
Jan 6, 2015 6:17 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
This is just weird as fuck.
Jan 6, 2015 6:34 AM

Apr 2013
I could hear the director masturbating over his own work.
Jan 6, 2015 6:43 AM

Feb 2008
Blubbering mess of ideas haphazardly thrown together. Ikuhara is trying too hard to be Ikuhara. He's more concerned with his own ego than he is with creating a genuinely interesting and cohesive story.

I'm disappointed. Dropped.
Jan 6, 2015 6:44 AM

Feb 2012
My head hurts. Not because of Ep 1, but because of this thread. This really wasn't that hard to get and compared to other Ikuni stuff, it's rather direct and obvious. The overall topic seems to be innocence of love vs. lust, or rather instinct(the loss of innocence while maturing) and individualism.

Some info: In japan, lesbianism is often considered okay for younger girls, as long as it stops when they get older and enter the age for marriage. Basically, the narrative is "You can have your little puppy love as long as you're still an incomplete member of society, but an adult has to work exactly as it is expected. As a woman, you have to be a wife, not a lesbian."Yeah, individualism is viewed very negatively in japanese society and that's exactly the meaning of the invisible storm: It cuts the lesbianism(yuri=lily=lesbian) and makes you invisible, a part of the colorless mass of people that is society. The invisible storm is basically just growing up. and losing yourself in the process. It's Ikuni's favourite topic and he'll always insert it in one way or the other. To be honest, I'm not sure with everything: I don't know, who threw the stone, I get mixed impressions about the place of the bears in the overall story(the bears themselves are pretty obviously a representation of lust and instinct, i just don't know, what Ikuni wants to say with them, even though the court gave some impressions), but the topic and message itself is rather easy compared to Ikuhara's other stuff.

But enough of that. Overall, i really liked the first episode, especially the visual direction. The tone of the show is great. It has an irreal feel to it, very dreamlike, far away from the stylized pseudo-realism of many other school anime. It feels more like very old shoujo anime, or maybe very elaborate picture books. (I read some posts that compared the visuals with shaft, but I would disagree with that.Team Shinbo aims for abstraction while Ikuni goes the opposite way.) I especially like the colour design, likely based on 60s/70s anime.The soundtrack is rather good, especially the opening song, but the Seiyuu are a mixed bag. Ogura Yui was annoying as hell(but that's nothing new. Her "cuteness" is remarkably unbelievable and artificial) and Yamane Nozomi is rather forgettable in this first episode, but the bear girls were entertaining and the Judgemens were fun.

I really liked it and can't wait for next episode.
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Jan 6, 2015 6:46 AM

Nov 2011
As First episode, are satisfied and depressed at the same time as I saw it, my predictions have come true and now I just have to suffer all the time to try to understand what lies between the lines.
Storytelling fun and creepy, I do not mind.
Plot yet to be deciphered, we algi beginning.
Drawings and animations fabulous, applause at Studio Silver Link!

badwolf45f said:
OKay I just watched it with subs and im still like wtf? is so confusing but I like it!

With or without a sub, the situation does not change, it's not clear up the true meaning behind everything that you see, amen!
Jan 6, 2015 6:48 AM

Dec 2010
Veronin said:
Blubbering mess of ideas haphazardly thrown together. Ikuhara is trying too hard to be Ikuhara. He's more concerned with his own ego than he is with creating a genuinely interesting and cohesive story.

I'm disappointed. Dropped.
2deep4u
Jan 6, 2015 6:51 AM

Dec 2010
ninjastarforcex said:
DeadIEnd said:

what is ikuhara
lmfao this newfag
Jan 6, 2015 6:57 AM

Apr 2013
Nucksen said:

That was very helpful. Thank you.
Jan 6, 2015 6:58 AM

Dec 2014
I just... what? I read the summary and expected some kind of moe, lesbian cutesy anime, didn't realise it was from Ikuhara. (I loved Penguindrum <3)
I just... I hate it, but it interests me so much that I want to see the rest of it as soon as possible, I couldn't get my eyes off the screen.
Really interested to see what the story behind all of this is (Yes, I understood the symbolism behind 'eating' etc.), twelve episodes are not that long anyway.
Nice voice actresses as well, although I don't like the one of the glasses girl but she looks dead now anyway. (LOOKS, no idea if she actually is...)
Jan 6, 2015 6:59 AM

Jul 2013
The op's actually catchy at least to me, can't wait for the full version to come.
HachiKirraJan 6, 2015 7:02 AM
Jan 6, 2015 7:19 AM
Jun 2010
And I thought I was prepared for this after having watched Mawaru Penguindrum... That was even weirder than I was expecting.

Very good production values, but not convinced yet with the story and overall setting.

Let's see where it goes from here...
Jan 6, 2015 7:27 AM
Jan 2015
Am I the only one who starts interpreting the crap out of this? It's Ikuhara after all!

You can really tell that this has only one season, because it's starts right from the beginning on the metaphoric insanity-level that Utena and Penguindrum only achieved at the end. But in spite of that ... Both Utena and Penguindrum had very strong clues in the first episode ...

My bet is the theme sexual revolution so far ... but let's break that down:

Honey licking:
Like people pointed out before ... The innuendo is strong with this one ...

The Asteroid Kumaria:
I found out that this seems to be a name from the Indian language that means daugher. Not sure what this might have to do with everything but hey ... If there is one place of magical crazyness in Utena aside from Ohtori Academy it's India! *Curry Curry Curry*

The Wall of Extinction:
Aside from being a parody on AoT this seems to be an really important metaphoric devise. From all the things we have seen so far the bears are not bigger than a terrier. But the wall is huge and with all the tower cranes in the background it looks like this thing grows each day. This is not a physical wall against small little pet bears but metaphor about suppression.

The Flowers:
I'm ashamed to not know exactly what the name and meaning of these flowers is (My botany-skill is embarrassing ...). But there might be something in the sense flower - deflowering or similar that works in the japanese language. Would be great if somebody has more information about that ... And there is of course nectar ... nectar -> honey ... you get the point ...
Edit:
-> Now that I read some of the comments again I found out that it's really just a white lily (like i said ... botany-skill: -95 >.<) ... And looked for the meaning of it and found this here:
LILY, WHITE: Purity, modesty, virginity, majesty, it's heavenly to be with you. The white lily is linked to Juno, the queen of the gods in Roman mythology, by the story that while nursing her son Hercules, some excess milk fell from the sky creating the group of stars we call the Milky Way, and lilies were created from what milk fell to the earth. The Easter lily is also known as the symbol of the Virgin Mary.
-> This might work together with this strange asteroid ...

Love is forbidden?
When the two girls meet by the flowers they talk about not doing something wrong. I guess they are in love with each other but keep this secret or don't want to admit it.
So when they finally sit together on the roof with the bench and "eat with each other" this gets to a point where a certain something notice them.
That's when the flowers get cut as warning (you know ... "deflowering" if this kind of wordplay works in japanese) ...
And if you keep in mind that penguindrum get to a level where the whole end was metaphoric non-physical and THIS show starts right on this level ... By all the things I know they might have physical orgys ... It's Ikuhara after all ...
So this something that is called the "invisible storm" reacts when the two girls fall in love with each other (or did more ... I mean ... there was honey on these shared meal after all) ... And this invisible storm keeps away girls who fall in love with each other ... not the bears ... ... ...
... The cannabalistic stuff aside ... the bears look like they're the good ones ... aside from perhaps deadly eating habits ...

The bears
I found a side about the bear as a spiritual animal and it boils down to:
- Strength & Confidence
- Standing against adversity
- Taking Action and leaderships
- Also an emphasize on healing
And not to forget ... they like honey.
We have to see Episode 2 to confirm that but I guess that when they deflowered her they might have become something like her spiritual animals? And they finally made her a lesbian too ...

Court & Sequence:
If this uses the typical Ikuhara-fomular there might be a sequence like that in every episode. With the crazy court keeping the balance and the two bear-girls turning other girls into lesbians or not.
It's interesting to mention that this scene happens on the roof. One point that is higher than the wall of extinction. I bet this will become a running theme in terms of freedom (the stairs up there had also this handrail with the birds).
And I guess the story will continue with the theme of suppression vs. freedom ...

... By the way ... Are there any men in this world? Due to the fact that it's Ikuhara they might just be too unimportant for the story to draw them ... But I guess this might be a hint for an women-only-society ... ... ... We'll see ...

... My bet is on the sexual revolution as a theme but it's Ikuhara ... May be he just has fun trolling fanservice and really want a breastshaped mousepad with one of his own characters ... You never know ...
KLRGJan 6, 2015 7:38 AM
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2015

107 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:44 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2015

140 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:14 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2015

194 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2015

167 by sketchy12 »»
Apr 21, 2023 4:26 AM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2015

160 by jeraxjerax013 »»
Mar 3, 2023 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.