Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Konosuba: An Explosion on This Wonderful World! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 19, 2023 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
Ha, the poses in this show never cease to amuse me.

All jokes aside, these kids needs be more careful in those woords...cause they could've been destroyed by those freaky bear monsters. One thing I'm glad this season has been doing is that they're showcasing majority of the cast, not just Megumin. Her chemistry with Yun Yun is still adorable imo. 
Apr 19, 2023 9:25 AM

Jul 2017
Seems like Chomusuke is given more attention than Megumin lols.

Megumin is tired of Chomusuke being called by her name, it gets annoying to her real fast. And since the teachers are out fighting monsters, it's free study time for the students, with Megumin reading up on explosion magic, and Yunyun is desperate for friends to read weird books for Funifura and Dodonko to come after her and doll her hair up. Megumin fighting over a spider to use hairpins to intimidate it, she went a bit too far on that one, while the village NEET Bukkorori comes finding for the Crimson Demon's beauty of Soketto enough for the girls to label him as a stalker, albeit learning of what is truly her type.

Megumin thinking of a plan on the spot for Bukkorori to Soketto...but it's more like he didn't even try. And this situation is made worse when monsters come attacking, only for Soketto's misunderstanding to escalate hard and fast, though that thankfully came to an amicable solution...where trying to figure out his future partner, it feels like karma if he didn't have anyone show up. That, for Megumin, isn't on her planned list since she's concentrating on her explosion magic.

The fated battle between the friend and rival...plus Chomusuke's interruption, it's the start of the friendship between the two, though Yunyun still has aways to go.

Yunyun's interesting dynamic would serve either a boon or bane towards Megumin.
Apr 19, 2023 9:28 AM

Feb 2018
This is a funny episode, I like how Megumin fights against the spider. Somehow, Megumin's shooting accuracy is so weak, making it difficult to shoot down the spider. Although I like Yunyun's new hairstyle, it only a short time.

Even though Yunyun refused Megumin's plan to disguise herself as a monster, I thought Megumin's plan was working well. Bukkoroli used the invisible magic to approach Soketto-san. Bukkoroli really wanted to peep at Soketto-san panties. Yahhh, Bukkoroli wanted to be a gentleman. I like the scene when Bukkoroli said "I want to protect your smile," it sounded ridiculous lol. Using the inferno magic, Bukkoroli flew Soketto-san and that made her hate him even more.

In the end, Bukkoroli wanted to predict the future. Bukkoroli wanted to know who his future wife/girlfriend would be. Yahhh, did Soketto-san's prediction miss? Or maybe Bukkoroli won't have a wife/girlfriend?

Can a fortune teller predict their own future? Yunyun and Megumin talked about the future, Megumin wants to be an adventurer and she's thinking about the future when she's already an adult adventurer. Megumin hopes that her lover will be a cool Hero and a great adventurer.

I think they would be better off as friends than rivals.
Apr 19, 2023 9:36 AM
May 2022
Bruh I loved it when the girls buried Bukkorori under their books
Apr 19, 2023 9:48 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm i guess regular health checks are things that transcend both worlds. Funny how her new familar ended up taking her name. Landmine mage really is the perfect name for mages that use explosion magic though due to their unfortunate side effect. YunYun's desperation for friends really is quite desperate. I guess a prince charming being trapped in the deepest part of the dungeon is an effective source of motivation. The unique taunting spider sure was a fun moment. Figures the village neet is also a potent stalker as well. If anything the village sure has some curious wildlife lurking on the outskirts like the ripped bears. Soketto though was a pretty interesting character. Pretty fun ep that featured some fun moments while expanding on some familar faces.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2023 10:23 AM

Feb 2014
The first three episodes and the preview of the fourth give off the impression there isn't a plot progressing here, seems like the writers didn't give much thought to what would happen in this series.
Apr 19, 2023 10:37 AM

Jan 2012
An ok episode. Starts to feel a bit boring tho. But I guess I’m asking too much from a character spin-off/prequel series.
Apr 19, 2023 10:45 AM

Jan 2018
Bukkorori is a little confused, but he's got the right spirit! Hope he gets the girl eventually. After he gets a job first that is.

I love the chemistry between Megumin and Yunyun here. In the main series, Yunyun was shown to have 0 friends before. But in this prequel, Funifura and Dodonko seem to always be with her. And it's Megumin who always ends up being a loner. Though the ending seems to imply this won't be the case anymore from now on.
Apr 19, 2023 11:01 AM

Dec 2020
Lol i love how yunyun and megumin are the best friends but they don’t want to say it loud or rather they’re rivals.
Bukkoru is a stalker but bruh this scene was so funny.
Yunyun wants to have more friends.
HiroyasuApr 19, 2023 11:06 AM
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Apr 19, 2023 11:24 AM
Aug 2020
choomusuke cute!!!
Apr 19, 2023 11:26 AM

Jun 2017
It's another funny haha gag episode, but like where's the progression? I read that Wolbach is supposed to be a relevant overarching figure in the story and we haven't seen anything about her since episode 1. I really hope there's more to this story soon, it's alright but it feels episodic instead of a series that has progression towards a goal.
Apr 19, 2023 11:33 AM

Feb 2019
So is there no story in this or is it just kind of an episodic slice of life? It’s nice to see the crimson eye clan fleshed out and learn about Yunyun etc, but some progression would be nice. I’m also wondering how Yunyun gets so lonely in the main series when in this spin-off it seems like she’s the one with the friends
Apr 19, 2023 11:35 AM
Nov 2018
Boring, weak, feels like no connection to Konosuba and it can't even stand on its own if you try to take it as a whole new anime with no links to anything else.
How the heck this has such high score is beyond me. Dropped
Apr 19, 2023 11:45 AM

Jun 2017
Penteano said:
Boring, weak, feels like no connection to Konosuba and it can't even stand on its own if you try to take it as a whole new anime with no links to anything else.
How the heck this has such high score is beyond me.
Sadly true, the only intrest I have is Wolbach in which is why it's so peculiar that a relevant figure in the Demon King army is never seen again. We already got the best parts of Megumin in the main series.
Apr 19, 2023 12:12 PM

Apr 2018
Decent episode, a bit more focused on Bukkoroli in this episode and his love life which ended dramatically bad. Welp, but the bond between Megumin and YunYun is getting stronger.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Apr 19, 2023 12:23 PM
Apr 2023
Hello does anyone know the song playing in ep 1 form 00:29 to 1:25 it is wonderful
Apr 19, 2023 12:34 PM

Jun 2015
Just awful episode all around. I knew this volume of the LN didn't have much going on so they'd have to add new content to pad the run time, but I was expecting something at least mildly funny or interesting, not this random crap. Also, for some reason they are cutting stuff from the LN at the same time they're padding for time, which doesn't make any sense.

Now regarding the sound design, not meaning to sound too extreme here, but whoever is responsible for the soundtrack of this series deserves jail time. The soundtrack is completely out of place in every single scene and is distracting as hell, doesn't even properly match the scene transitions and to top it off is just generic and uninspired. Hard to believe someone was paid to do this.

Overall, this adaptation has been a let down, regardless of how good the source material was. Hope it improves during the second half.
Apr 19, 2023 12:38 PM

Jun 2021
Bukkororii is me irl
Apr 19, 2023 12:54 PM
Aug 2022
I watch it at 2x speed, still feels nothing about the show
I’m probably here just for the final EXPLOSION!!!
ice-tea-tripleApr 19, 2023 12:59 PM
Apr 19, 2023 12:54 PM

Jun 2015
Eifue said:
It's another funny haha gag episode, but like where's the progression? I read that Wolbach is supposed to be a relevant overarching figure in the story and we haven't seen anything about her since episode 1. I really hope there's more to this story soon, it's alright but it feels episodic instead of a series that has progression towards a goal.
I'm sad to inform you that Wolbach is not going to show up anymore, unless they make changes the original plot. She briefly appears in volume 4 of the main series (season 2 of the anime) and only comes back in volume 9. She is important in the sense that she sets Megumin on her current journey (seen in episode 1), but nothing more. She is actually a minor character all things considered.

Regarding the spinoff series overall, as I said on another post, it's going to be pretty much just random slice of life moments for the first half of the season (volume 1 of the spinoff LN). The plot SHOULD get going after that and things SHOULD become actually funny. Emphasis on "should".

Apr 19, 2023 12:56 PM

Mar 2020
This is shaping up to be more like a slice of life so far, and I'm actually enjoying it a lot nonetheless. While there isn't much story to be had, the comedy has still been pretty good, especially with the village NEET, Bukkorori, doing his weird things. Yunyun and Megumin's dynamic is pretty wholesome as well.
Apr 19, 2023 1:09 PM
Jun 2020
Fun episode, unfortunately that was the filler chapter in the Light Novel (I was sure they would cut it off).

Volume 1 is kinda slow anyway (although next episode will have an interesting development, as seen in the preview).
Apr 19, 2023 1:28 PM
Nov 2019
That dude makes Kazuma look a gentleman. Also what exactly are the adults investigating that none of them notice all the monsters in the woods.  
Apr 19, 2023 1:33 PM

Feb 2014
That spider certainly gave Megumin a bit of a hard time ,huh? Either way, Megumin did get her victory against the little cocky spider, although it's nothing to be boastful about it. XD

Although the weakest episode so far, this one still had a good amount of funny moments to keep me entertained, mostly thanks to Bukkorori. From getting pummeled in the library by loads of books (Deserved) and getting a beating from Soketto later on, I do like how passionate he is with his goal in mind, although I did feel a little sorry for him after Soketto's fortune showed that there wasn't a girl waiting for him in his fortune.

The interactions between Megumin ans Yunyun were cute and you can see that despite their rivalry, they do care for each other to a certain extent. =)
Apr 19, 2023 1:33 PM

Jul 2008
curvedtree said:
The first three episodes and the preview of the fourth give off the impression there isn't a plot progressing here, seems like the writers didn't give much thought to what would happen in this series.

All of the main plot points, revelations and character developments for Megumin happen in the main series (she, not Aqua, is arguably THE heroine of the main series), so don't expect much excitement in her spin-off.  This is something the writer wrote while relaxed, with a focus on Slice of Life.

There are some spin-offs that can be better than the main series (To Aru Kagaku no Railgun and Fate/Zero) but those are exceptions to the rule. Spin-offs are, by their nature, just extra stories made for the sake of fanservice and targeted at the biggest fans of the main works.
Apr 19, 2023 1:39 PM
Apr 2020
I absolutely love megumin and yunyun's interactions < 3
Apr 19, 2023 1:47 PM

Aug 2021
It’s impressive how accurately Drive has been able to replicate Deen’s art style so far in these first 3 episodes
Apr 19, 2023 1:49 PM

Jul 2022
epic stuff man, will kazuma appear tho?
Apr 19, 2023 1:51 PM
Jul 2022
Loved the combat roll and subtle nod to The Excalibur wielder. Also nice to see Megumin and Yunyun's "rivalry" begin to blossom.
Oranjebok93Apr 19, 2023 1:58 PM
Apr 19, 2023 1:53 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
DreadfulLaw said:
It's a prequel, this is all before Kazuma even arrived in this world
Apr 19, 2023 1:59 PM
Jul 2019
Megumin UwU
sussy
Apr 19, 2023 2:00 PM

Sep 2022
Yunyun and Megumin are a great duo together. Just really wish that the crimson demon NEET would stop stalking Soketto and just let Soketto live her life peacefully. Still impressive that the crimson demon NEET managed to learn teleportation magic while being stuck in the hole.
Apr 19, 2023 2:14 PM
Oct 2016
Megumin and Yunyun not having an easy time helping Bukkororii. The teacher rushing into their room just to yell today as a free day because of monster sightings was a funny start to the episode. All the girls sturdy in from the library just for Bukkororii to crash the party. I laughed a ton when they all buried him in books for interrupting them. Megumin trying to shoot the swinging spider with the hair ties was very funny. Snatching more of them off Yunyun head as she shrieked. Bukkororii having Megumin and Yunyun coming up with that terrible plan for him to rescue the girl he likes. Only for that idiot to try and look under her skirt after he turned invisible. His tears at never getting a girlfriend actually made me laugh again, that dude is a sorry son of a gun. All the girls discussing how sometimes traveling in the same adventurer party together leads to people falling in love. Nice jokes about Megumin falling for someone normal, which we know later. Megumin and Yunyun keep becoming closer friends and rivals every episode which I love to see.
Apr 19, 2023 2:28 PM
Jun 2020
kxlel02 said:
It’s impressive how accurately Drive has been able to replicate Deen’s art style so far in these first 3 episodes

Without their mistakes. They did kept the Deen staff. 2 of the 3 animation directors in this episode worked on the first seasons (the third one is the character designer/animation director from Priconne anime).

Nov 2016
Bukkorori catching on L after another lol. Enjoyable episode again. I dunno what people were expecting from this aside from a "sol school comedy" in another world.

DreadfulLaw said:

Maybe the end of the series will transition into the events of Konosuba. That's at least what I would like to see.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 2014
I really liked little spider small detail scene. xd

This part was a little better for me
Apr 19, 2023 2:45 PM

Mar 2021
Is the rest of the Konosuba series just going to be this level of filler?  I do hope a ln reader can assure a mindblowing experience. Surely the writing has no insane foreshadowing from the animated content so far, if there is let me know. I heard 3 of the 18 volumes is filler and is Kadokawa going to drag this series out like Boruto simply because of fantastic days profits (which could easily shut down)? Not to mention the ratings have tanked on amazon.co.jp as well as polls

This show is killing my enthusiasm for Konosuba and I have cancelled all my KS figure pre orders. Tensura decided to pad things out to milk the series and follow up with a movie and the series got destroyed by critics on Rotten Tomatoes. Feel like the community has severely overblown KS to be the best ln series but I much rather stick with RZ, DAL, Overlord. 
icefirestone23Apr 19, 2023 2:53 PM
Apr 19, 2023 3:17 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
It was interesting witnessing when Yunyun first became friends with Dodonko and Funifura, she was so happy lol, it was definitely a mix of heartwarming and funny with how serious she was taking it, and Megumin’s battle with the spider in the background was fun too, these girls can’t lose to anything lol.

And the bit with Bukkororii was a good one, I had a feeling he’d cause friendly fire the moment he used that massive attack lol, but looks like he might have a chance with Soketto after learning that fortune tellers can’t tell their own fortunes, I’m happy for the lad but he also needs to tone the simping down a bit lol.

And lastly I liked the last bit between Megumin and Yunyun, they really have to go through a lot over something as simple as walking home together lol, it’s fun tho, they wouldn’t be crimson demons otherwise. And that ED is still such a jam, I may have to praise it every week lol. Also kind of a shame to see people ragging on the show already, I guess folks really thought this was gonna be Konosuba lol, I’m really enjoying this myself as an SoL enjoyer.
TheColonel76Apr 19, 2023 3:21 PM
Apr 19, 2023 3:18 PM

Mar 2010
Another banger, and damn I feel great about that neet lad getting the gal at the end well.. according to the hunch.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 19, 2023 3:26 PM

Dec 2013
Its been so long but the show always gave me the idea that Yunyun was constantly getting bullied (she only gets laughed a bit because she is "weird" by being normal) but so far everyone is nice to each other and she actually had 2 friends there.
Apr 19, 2023 3:37 PM

May 2015
How are Crunchyroll’s subs so unbelievably bad? Kuro=Black not INK. What even was the point of changing that?
Apr 19, 2023 4:12 PM

Sep 2017
Sensei: "Go home with someone!" *Romantic bgm begin* 
Yunyun chasing Megumin to go home together *Fighting bgm* 
Megumin: "Let's walk home together" *Romantic bgm again* 
Yunyun accepting with tsundere mode 
Bakappuru ☆*:.。.o(≧▽≦)o.。.:*☆

Mod Edit: Removed image; posts must not contain more than one screenshot.
KayKimiiApr 21, 2023 6:45 AM
Apr 19, 2023 4:26 PM

Feb 2014
Nayrael said:
curvedtree said:

All of the main plot points, revelations and character developments for Megumin happen in the main series (she, not Aqua, is arguably THE heroine of the main series), so don't expect much excitement in her spin-off.  This is something the writer wrote while relaxed, with a focus on Slice of Life.

There are some spin-offs that can be better than the main series (To Aru Kagaku no Railgun and Fate/Zero) but those are exceptions to the rule. Spin-offs are, by their nature, just extra stories made for the sake of fanservice and targeted at the biggest fans of the main works.
That's the thing, was it marketed as a "slice of lice" show though? I don't have a problem with Slice of Life, there are things they could explore better, for instance will we be getting every episode a gag on how Megumin wants to change her relationship with Yunyun only to be interrupted by others?
Apr 19, 2023 4:41 PM

May 2021
Is Megumin really judging someone for having a cringeworthy conversation? No way.

Think I might be staying for Yunyun and Megumin's dynamic. And to think just earlier in the episode she was considering making friends with plants and fish...

Apr 19, 2023 4:42 PM

Apr 2022
megumin and yunyun helping the village NEET out lmao. everything about yunyun screams 'must be protected at all costs' as always. megumin's aim with the hair tie is crazy good.
Apr 19, 2023 5:00 PM

Feb 2021
Spider scene was definitely my favourite scene of this episode. Reminds me of that spider giving someone a high-five.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEMPLrWh35g , the spider high-five vid

Apr 19, 2023 5:16 PM
Mar 2012
Ug. Starting to loose my enthusiasm for this series. Konosuba is about the characters and this series unfortunately just does not have the same quality.
Apr 19, 2023 5:33 PM

May 2015
irisout said:
billybub said:
How are Crunchyroll’s subs so unbelievably bad?  Kuro=Black not INK.  What even was the point of changing that?
Not saying I necessarily agree with it, but it's a little loaded to name something "Black" in the english language. I'm sure they just decided to err on the side of avoiding any potential controversy.

How is it "loaded" to name something black? Its a color for Gods sake. The whole point of the joke is they named the black cat "Black". Just localizers being idoits again
Apr 19, 2023 5:34 PM

Jun 2015
icefirestone23 said:
Is the rest of the Konosuba series just going to be this level of filler?  I do hope a ln reader can assure a mindblowing experience. Surely the writing has no insane foreshadowing from the animated content so far, if there is let me know. I heard 3 of the 18 volumes is filler and is Kadokawa going to drag this series out like Boruto simply because of fantastic days profits (which could easily shut down)? Not to mention the ratings have tanked on amazon.co.jp as well as polls

This show is killing my enthusiasm for Konosuba and I have cancelled all my KS figure pre orders. Tensura decided to pad things out to milk the series and follow up with a movie and the series got destroyed by critics on Rotten Tomatoes. Feel like the community has severely overblown KS to be the best ln series but I much rather stick with RZ, DAL, Overlord. 
LN reader here. The main series is good and I'd say the next couple volumes that will become season 3 of the anime are some of the best, with a bunch of new characters and plot points being introduced. Volumes 10-13 get kind of slow, especially 12, but not enough to say that they're filler. Volumes 14 onwards the series gets better again, with volume 15 being the best of the series IMO.

This spinoff, on the other hand, is just bad. Megumin is not nearly interesting enough on her own and neither are the other crimson demons. Volume 2 of the spinoff, which will probably be the 2nd half of this anime, is funny but that's mostly because of other characters, not Megumin. It's downhill from there and volumes 3-6 are absolutely not worth reading.

Don't let the spinoff ruin the main series for you. I recommend watching this anime (even if it's not that good) because some of it will be relevant for the main series. The rest of the spinoff has nothing important going on, so you can just skip it.
Apr 19, 2023 5:51 PM

May 2015
irisout said:
billybub said:
How is it "loaded" to name something black? Its a color for Gods sake. The whole point of the joke is they named the black cat "Black". Just localizers being idoits again

I don't know if you're from America or not, but yeah, it's one of those little unspoken taboos out here to just use the word "Black" as a proper noun. Same reason why you generally never use "black" as a descriptor when referring to a stranger who is in fact black. It's a little silly and arguably blown out of proportion, but I can certainly see why a translator would decide to just play that safe. If my assumption is correct anyway. It was clearly an intentional decision - most people know that kuro means "black" lol

Im just gonna assume you're young, but yes I'm American and is not nor has it ever been taboo to use black as a proper noun. Like I said it's localizers being idoits and ruining the entire joke.
billybubApr 19, 2023 5:55 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Konosuba spinoff only sells 700 blu rays in first week.

DEMSpirit - Feb 24

12 by Asuka816 »»
May 21, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2023

184 by Juicedi »»
May 2, 12:32 PM

Poll: » Yunyun stole the show!

Avvenirista - Jun 22, 2023

14 by YahiyaX777L »»
Apr 18, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2023

102 by Komlan_6 »»
Apr 18, 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2023

89 by pasketiii »»
Mar 23, 1:48 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.