Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 14, 2016 12:16 PM

Jan 2014
I hope Wilheim destroys the whale from the inside. He better not be out of the game yet!

Also, it looks like the little twin cat boy got hit with the fog. I hope not.
JotakakAug 14, 2016 12:26 PM
Aug 14, 2016 12:16 PM
Jul 2016
SuperKirei said:
Buck_Wade said:

Uh...I really don't know what to say. Subaru's been the main point of view characters since episode 0, and if it weren't for his weak ass, a lot of the characters would've been dead.
If you have not noticed, a lot of characters have died; some of them for them have died because of Subaru.
If it was not for his time loop hacks, everyone would have died long ago

Yeah, but if he hadn't interfered, Rem would've died in arc 2. And now, if he doesn't do something, a whole bunch of people are gonna die for good.
I don't know how to respond to what you said. If you want to see an anime where the protagonist is OP or something, go watch SAO, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Dragonball, etc. Re: Zero hasn't been that kinda anime since ep 0.
Aug 14, 2016 12:17 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
You guys are still feeding. What good will do that for you?
Aug 14, 2016 12:17 PM

Dec 2009
Holy fuck this episode had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Wilhelm was so fucking badass kicking the shit out of the whale, so many times throughout the episode I thought they managed to beat it, but nope of course not, there just had to be fucking three of them! Things are looking grim right now...really hope some of the great side characters don't die...especially not Wilhelm. Also I noticed that "Satella" part, holy shit I wonder why she finally appeared before Subaru!?
Aug 14, 2016 12:18 PM

Jan 2014
Hongu said:
SuperKirei said:

Well for one our MC just sat on his ass (when he wasn’t running away), another reason is the cliff-hanger at the end; instead of one whale there is now three, let us see how we BS are way out of this one.
What could he even do anyway?

You kidding? We've known from the beginning that Subaru can't fight shit. He gave them the knowledge that was needed and used himself as bait. Like Hongu said, what more could he have done!?
Aug 14, 2016 12:19 PM

Aug 2016
Okay, this episode was totally beast! I loved seeing everyone co-operate together! I thought they were gonna stomp the White Whale until it released the fog. Dat Satella cameo though. Wilhelm also grew on me - his loyalty to his views and his wife were strong AND BOY IS HE BADASS. I hope he doesn't die - just when I was starting to like him damn you author =((
Theresia is awesome too though, also can anyone explain what she meant by the last line? Felt a bit bad for the dog captain
Although they're gonna need some big help to deal with all 3 (?) whales
Plot twist : In the middle of next episode, Wilhelm cuts open the Whale's belly LOL
This episode was great. I felt the fight scenes, the flashbacks and the characterization were all spot on and some moments like the flower one were really important. The Whale is one scary dude though.
5/5

Sep 2015
Buck_Wade said:
Nigami_Shin said:
two good episodes in a row. it seems less subaru means better Re:Zero, but please don't do another reset - just don't

i guess perfect doesn't mean the same for you than it does for me....

No , he's fucked. Reset's gonna be needed now.

no he could also activate his secret witch powers and shoot them down. i mean it's shounen, isn't it?

wilhelm probably kills one of the whales from the inside and the others fly away

Nov 2011
emmmm, those flashback was a too big hint of wilheim's death ... if he is dead.
Can someone tell me if wilheim remembering so much things about theresia van astrea despite she's dead from the hand of the whale will be justified later ?? just answer by yes or no :)
Aug 14, 2016 12:21 PM
Jul 2016
Aiko_Hiroshi said:
Holy fuck this episode had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Wilhelm was so fucking badass kicking the shit out of the whale, so many times throughout the episode I thought they managed to beat it, but nope of course not, there just had to be fucking three of them! Things are looking grim right now...really hope some of the great side characters don't die...especially not Wilhelm. Also I noticed that "Satella" part, holy shit I wonder why she finally appeared before Subaru!?

Hmm, maybe she finally got fed up with him abusing her power and appeared to whisper some kinda warning into his ear or something? But hot damn, those lips.

Dec 2012
Satella? WOAH! :O

Jul 2016
Jotakak said:
Hongu said:
What could he even do anyway?

You kidding? We've known from the beginning that Subaru can't fight shit. He gave them the knowledge that was needed and used himself as bait. Like Hongu said, what more could he have done!?

Exactly! He's a cockroach in a jungle.
Aug 14, 2016 12:22 PM
Jul 2016
GosuGian said:
Satella? WOAH! :O

Dem lips. I think I have found my potential waifu.
Aug 14, 2016 12:23 PM

May 2015
Buck_Wade said:
SuperKirei said:
If you have not noticed, a lot of characters have died; some of them for them have died because of Subaru.

Yeah, but if he hadn't interfered, Rem would've died in arc 2. And now, if he doesn't do something, a whole bunch of people are gonna die for good.
I don't know how to respond to what you said. If you want to see an anime where the protagonist is OP or something, go watch SAO, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Dragonball, etc. Re: Zero hasn't been that kinda anime since ep 0.
Naruto, Luffy, Ichigo nor Goku were OP from the start. Do you mean that if Subaru will become OP you will dislike the anime?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2016 12:23 PM

Dec 2014
Buck_Wade said:
SuperKirei said:

First, Subaru is not going to do anything. Someone else will come and bail him out. Second, he doesn’t have to be op, he just has to do something - and in this world where you have to be op to do anything, then what’s the point of an MC that is so under powered that all he can do is just stand by and watch?
I am the Priest of my church
Yuetsu is my body, and wine is my blood
I have trolled over a thousand users
Unknown to sympathy, nor known to apathy
Withstood Shirou to eat Mapo Tofu
Yet, my question will never be answered
So as I rejoice, Unlimited Kirei Works!
Aug 14, 2016 12:24 PM

Dec 2008
another amazing episode, wdf multiple whales attack... I didn't see that coming but it explains multiple directional attacks...

Aug 14, 2016 12:25 PM

Dec 2014
well that was epic did the knight die then...... things are badass as it is and I Realised only 5 episodes left..... what's going on....

Jun 2012
definitely found the flashbacks the most interesting part of the episode, not saying the fight wasn't interesting or bad. i just like fleshing out the side characters a little more than a very well choreographed fight scene.

maybe it's a little too soon to be talking about such things but we do only have 5 more episodes left so i'm kind of wondering about the possibility of a season 2.

Mar 2013
That is the problem with this show; we are on episode 20 and Subaru is still doing what he did in episode 3, absolutely nothing.

Subaru isn't fucking Goku, there are other people who have actual *Fighting* ability.

So why is the story not about them? Why are we following someone who plays no important part in this matter?

Because not every story needs to be a power fantasy? Because by focusing on a weak character, more importantly from our modern day world, you can realistically showcase a character drama filled with a psychological goldmine? Also, what on earth do you mean by no important part? Car man over here is an excellent decoy, formulates strategies based on knowledge he gains through RBD, and has an ability that literally drives the course of the show. Not to mention he worked to bring the two major allied parties together. Plus, switching perspectives here would make no sense from a narrative point of view.

Tired and slightly annoyed rant aside; decent episode overall. Animation obviously wasn't quite up to snuff, but that's to be expected and doesn't detract from the experience a ton unless you're real astute, which I'm not. Nice direction of the flashbacks, which set up the major subplot rather nicely. On a separate note, those whale noises were rather unpleasant, but I guess that's kind of the point. Satella makes her first appearance, nice "Aisheteru" true. Soundtrack was actually pretty good, pleasant surprise.

Looking forward to what is to come.

Surely Subaru should be doing more against the whale, I thought the Japanese were good at this.
Read_the_MangoAug 14, 2016 12:32 PM
Aug 14, 2016 12:26 PM

Mar 2011
Ok, we need to wait one week now.....
but three of them was quite interesting? Them = you know who.
Aug 14, 2016 12:26 PM

Jul 2008
Flawfinder said:
Then why exactly is Subaru the main character? Yes, a real person would be as pathetic as he is, but then why is the show trying to push him as the main lead rather than a side character? Re:Zero isn't a character study anime, so sitting through his uselessness has been pointless and annoying.

Because it's an Anime about a normal guy transported into a grim fantasy world who has to make due with what he has, not about someone's wish fullfilment. Whoever picked this series expecting him to be a capable fighter, even though the premiere hinted that he is just an Average Joe, is frankly an troll at best and an idiot at worst.
Aug 14, 2016 12:27 PM

Jun 2008
Just when you thought things got good for once it all went downhill again, this is definitely the Game of Thrones of anime.
Aug 14, 2016 12:27 PM
Mar 2016
OMG they're up against an pod of white whales, is it safe to say that Wilhem and wolf guy are dead?
Aug 14, 2016 12:28 PM
Jul 2016
SuperKirei said:
Buck_Wade said:

First, Subaru is not going to do anything. Someone else will come and bail him out. Second, he doesn’t have to be op, he just has to do something - and in this world where you have to be op to do anything, then what’s the point of an MC that is so under powered that all he can do is just stand by and watch?

...Because it's fun seeing this kinda story from the perspective of someone who has to use wit > fighting? Look, I"m sorry, but trying to answer your question is like trying to answer someone asking me why watch drama instead of comedy. It's...pretty personnel. Plus, it's been established that Subaru has had to accept that he needs others to solve stuff.

Dec 2014
So, can anyone clear up what happened in the flashbacks again?

All I remember is that the old man (as an adult) and this girl were talking about flowers, and then somehow the girl says something that makes the old man want to attack her.

Either I wasn't paying attention very well or it was awkwardly handled. Likely the former.
Aug 2015
Satella wooooooo!

That bishie old man was humm ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Aug 14, 2016 12:29 PM
Jan 2013
Amazing episode they splited the flashback well.
White whale totally like a boss video game for having 3 phases.
Aug 14, 2016 12:29 PM

Mar 2015
Is it okay if I'm so disappointed about the battle sequence animation.

I kinda worried since I watched their winter 2015's work

Aug 14, 2016 12:30 PM
Jul 2016
Shinigami0529 said:
That is the problem with this show; we are on episode 20 and Subaru is still doing what he did in episode 3, absolutely nothing.

Subaru isn't fucking Goku, there are other people who have actual *Fighting* ability.

So why is the story not about them? Why are we following someone who plays no important part in this matter?

Because not every story needs to be a power fantasy? Because by focusing on a weak character, more importantly from our modern day world, you can realistically showcase a character drama filled with a psychological goldmine? Also, what on earth do you mean by no important part? Car man over here is an excellent decoy, formulates strategies based on knowledge he gains through RBD, and has an ability that literally drives the course of the show. Not to mention he worked to bring the two major allied parties together. Plus, switching perspectives here would make no sense from a narrative point of view.

Tired and slightly annoyed rant aside; decent episode overall. Animation obviously wasn't quite up to snuff, but that's to be expected and doesn't detract from the experience a ton unless you're real astute, which I'm not. Nice direction of the flashbacks, which set up the major subplot rather nicely. On a separate note, those whale noises were rather unpleasant, but I guess that's kind of the point. Satella makes her first appearance, nice "Aisheteru" true.

Surely Subaru should be doing more against the whale, I thought the Japanese were good at this.

Did she seriously say I love you? Man, I should rewatch that scene. Wait. The witch is an adult woman. Subaru's 17, according to wiki, so in Japan, that'd be pedophilia. But if the fantasy world in Re: Zero has a different age required to become an adult, then maybe it's cultural difference.
Aug 14, 2016 12:31 PM
Jul 2016
Dizzee said:
Just when you thought things got good for once it all went downhill again, this is definitely the Game of Thrones of anime.
Dizzee said:

I heard from a Screen Junkies vid on Youtube that the good guys basically never win in Game of Thrones. Is that true? Makes me want to watch the show even more.
Aug 14, 2016 12:32 PM
Jul 2016
Whoahoho said:
OMG they're up against an pod of white whales, is it safe to say that Wilhem and wolf guy are dead?

I think wolf bro died when he got killed.
Aug 14, 2016 12:33 PM
Apr 2014
NOOOOOOOOO Wilhem and the wolf guy D: Such a badass safe from him. Why couldn't he get out of the way, too :(

Also. That's it. We are done. They barely survived one whale. How are they supposed to fight several? And if Subaru can't beat the whale their is no way for him to safe Rem and the village.

I really thought we'd finally progress a little further than Subaru shouting at people but we are basically back at square one. This was Subaru's last chance basically. Any other plans would be ass-pulls (and they are already stretching it for a while now with this anime. pun unintended).

What other chances does he have? He needs the help of the other candidates. They only help him when he solves the white whale problem. We are at a dead end(well to be fair I said that a few episodes ago when Subaru went insane and then he suddenly was back to normal).

I really don't want to start the negative talk because finally I enjoyed an episode again but I can't help it...

Why did the invisible hands attack him again this time. Last time he talked about it they killed Emilia instead of hurting him. I mean was expecting it to happen but at this point there are so many inconsistencies. Same goes for the pod of whales. Wasn't one whale which removes existences enough? Couldn't we let Subaru progress a little bit for once? I don't need his death count to increase exponentially with every safe point to realize that he is useless. Just let him have the next safe point... Then you can start killing him again for all I care.

I swear I'm going crazy if I have to see him wake up in front of that fucking apple vendor one more time.

-Stray said:
I dont say this often but now would probably be a good time to kill yourself Subaru, and think of a better plan, now you know there is more than just 1 fcking whale.

And what exactly is he supposed to do then? Like they could actually fight more than one whale at the same time... That was their best plan already and they couldn't even kill one yet.
NanashiAug 14, 2016 12:38 PM
Aug 14, 2016 12:33 PM

Sep 2013
Buck_Wade said:
SuperKirei said:

...Because it's fun seeing this kinda story from the perspective of someone who has to use wit > fighting? Look, I"m sorry, but trying to answer your question is like trying to answer someone asking me why watch drama instead of comedy. It's...pretty personnel. Plus, it's been established that Subaru has had to accept that he needs others to solve stuff.

Subaru has not really struck me as a very cunning character in this series....

He actually seems quite foolish at times
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2016 12:34 PM

Jun 2008
Buck_Wade said:

I heard from a Screen Junkies vid on Youtube that the good guys basically never win in Game of Thrones. Is that true? Makes me want to watch the show even more.

Well for the most part yes but some bad guys still get what they deserve in the end, just watch it, one of the best shows of all time.
Aug 14, 2016 12:35 PM

May 2015
Nayrael said:
Flawfinder said:
Then why exactly is Subaru the main character? Yes, a real person would be as pathetic as he is, but then why is the show trying to push him as the main lead rather than a side character? Re:Zero isn't a character study anime, so sitting through his uselessness has been pointless and annoying.

Because it's an Anime about a normal guy transported into a grim fantasy world who has to make due with what he has, not about someone's wish fullfilment. Whoever picked this series expecting him to be a capable fighter, even though the premiere hinted that he is just an Average Joe, is frankly an troll at best and an idiot at worst.
Would you say that having pretty much a harem is not someone's wish fulfilment?
Mickdrew said:
Buck_Wade said:

He is pretty cunning when the author wants to progress the plot.

Mar 2014
Well sh#t ! No idea how Subaru's gonna get out of this one.

That eye scene though :O

Apr 2015
Well, that felt like a pointlessly extended fight.

Flashbacks were too basic for me to see the significance of them. This meme came to mind while they were going on.
Aug 14, 2016 12:37 PM
Jul 2016
Nanashi said:
NOOOOOOOOO Wilhem and the wolf guy D: Such a badass safe from him. Why couldn't he get out of the way, too :(

Also. That's it. We are done. They barely survived one whale. How are they supposed to fight several? And if Subaru can't beat the whale their is no way for him to safe Rem and the village.

I really thought we'd finally progress a little further than Subaru shouting at people but we are basically back at square one. This was Subaru's last chance basically. Any other plans would be ass-pulls (and they are already stretching it for a while now with this anime. pun unintended).

What other chances does he have? He needs the help of the other candidates. They only help him when he solves the white whale problem. We are at a dead end(well to be fair I said that a few episodes ago when Subaru went insane and then he suddenly was back to normal).

I really don't want to start the negative talk because finally I enjoyed an episode again but I can't help it...

Why did the invisible hands attack him again this time. Last time he talked about it they killed Emilia instead of hurting him. I mean was expecting it to happen but at this point there are so many inconsistencies. Same goes for the pod of whales(everyone saying 3 whales. I see 3 healthy whales in that last scene. Wilhelm cut off one of the fins though. So there are at least 4. And that makes me think we don't know the exact number. Could be x more). Wasn't one whale which removes existences enough? Couldn't we let Subaru progress a little bit for once? I don't need his death count to increase exponentially with every safe point to realize that he is useless. Just let him have the next safe point... Then you can start killing him again for all I care.

I swear I'm going crazy if I have to see him wake up in front of that fucking apple vendor one more time.

-Stray said:
I dont say this often but now would probably be a good time to kill yourself Subaru, and think of a better plan, now you know there is more than just 1 fcking whale.

And what exactly is he supposed to do then? Like they could actually fight more than one whale at the same time... That was their best plan already and they couldn't even kill one yet.

Back in arc 2, saying that he can return by death to the dogs didn't kill anyone. I'm pretty sure it's clear by now that the only time the witch will kill someone is if Subaru INTENDS to actually tell someone about his ability, not just say the name.

Jun 2016
Wilhelm is a great swordsman, and we see Subaru really trying to change the future this time now.
Those flashbacks were also nice, Theresia <3
The ending scene :0 there are a dozen more of those Whales :0

Sep 2015
Buck_Wade said:
Shinigami0529 said:

Tired and slightly annoyed rant aside; decent episode overall. Animation obviously wasn't quite up to snuff, but that's to be expected and doesn't detract from the experience a ton unless you're real astute, which I'm not. Nice direction of the flashbacks, which set up the major subplot rather nicely. On a separate note, those whale noises were rather unpleasant, but I guess that's kind of the point. Satella makes her first appearance, nice "Aisheteru" true.

Did she seriously say I love you? Man, I should rewatch that scene. Wait. The witch is an adult woman. Subaru's 17, according to wiki, so in Japan, that'd be pedophilia. But if the fantasy world in Re: Zero has a different age required to become an adult, then maybe it's cultural difference.

you better google what pedophilia means next time

also you don't have to post a new comment all the time, just edit your posts

Aug 14, 2016 12:38 PM
Jul 2016
Dizzee said:
Buck_Wade said:

Well for the most part yes but some bad guys still get what they deserve in the end, just watch it, one of the best shows of all time.

You have no idea, but because the show's WAY too damn violent, my parents won't let me watch till I'm 18 (currently 15), and they allow me to watch a lot of violent stuff. The idea of a dark medieval story told from multiple points of views excites me.
Aug 14, 2016 12:38 PM

Aug 2016
Guys, anyone else who think both Wilhelm and Theresia are good looking and badass?
Aug 14, 2016 12:39 PM

Apr 2016
so Subaru's witch scent was too strong that it attracted two more whales..I assume..?

anyway.. man, a sea of blood..how could that whale even stay alive after loosing that much..? if I was in his shoes I would've fly the fuck away and run with my life..like dude..just leave that place already, or you'll keep getting stubbed to the death..lol

I abtually laughed while seeing them running cusually on the poor whale like if they had some kind of spider foots.. it was hilarious..XD

overall good episode. 4/5
Jul 2016
Burger-Meister said:
So, can anyone clear up what happened in the flashbacks again?

All I remember is that the old man (as an adult) and this girl were talking about flowers, and then somehow the girl says something that makes the old man want to attack her.

Either I wasn't paying attention very well or it was awkwardly handled. Likely the former.

You are not Paying attention xD,
About the FlashBack
That girl was is Wife !that flashback is maybe a part of when they meet each other.
The girl was already the Master Swordsman at that age I think she was kinda forced...the Master Swordsman NAME for her didn't mean anything...
To him that was disrespect...

And the

Apr 2015
Came to read reviews, stayed to read comments.

10/10 All these people getting baited by that one 1/5 troll. *popcorn*
Aug 14, 2016 12:40 PM

Oct 2014
TMW you go catch one Lvl500 Pokmeon and you meet a whole Horde.

Hypez
Jul 2016
Mickdrew said:
Buck_Wade said:

Mickdrew said:
Buck_Wade said:

Nah, I wouldn't say that. He's got decent IQ, just that his emotions can screw up his rational thinking.

Feb 2015
Another great episode, another thread that is ruined by cancerous trolls that are butthurt this show is rated higher than their favorite show (this is probably my #2 or 3 anime this season before any of the aforementioned trolls call me a Re:Zero fanboy), another week of waiting. Life on MAL in a nutshell.

Jul 2014
Mickdrew said:
Buck_Wade said:

lol subaru isn't smart at all if he was smart he wouldn't gone through this suffering becasue a wise man know what he do and he isn't strong either
that is the point of the show
Aug 14, 2016 12:41 PM
Jul 2016
Nigami_Shin said:
Buck_Wade said:

you better google what pedophilia means next time

also you don't have to post a new comment all the time, just edit your posts

I just googled it, and, uh, yeah, sorry. But it's fun to comment and discuss with others.
Aug 14, 2016 12:42 PM

Jan 2014
THERE'S MORE THAN 1 WHITE WHALE ?????!!?!?!?!? ASDSKDXZICNXPEFNREA
I need the next episode now
Pages (16) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2016

1171 by AnimatedAddict »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2016

2073 by AnimatedAddict »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2016

933 by AnimatedAddict »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2016

1372 by AnimatedAddict »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2016

725 by AnimatedAddict »»
Yesterday, 9:49 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.