Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think that people who have a MAL mean score below 4.00 hate anime?

New
Jun 28, 2016 8:03 PM

Apr 2015
So I recently saw some people whose mean score is below 4.00, do you guys think they hate animu? discuss.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 28, 2016 8:05 PM

Mar 2015
No. Maybe they just watch a lot of bad anime.
Jun 28, 2016 8:10 PM

Mar 2016
A number is just a number. It's still possible to like something you don't want to rate highly for whatever reason. Especially true if someone has a rating system that only makes sense to them.
syncrogazerJun 28, 2016 8:13 PM
Jun 28, 2016 8:10 PM

Jun 2008
They're probably elitists who think giving anything higher than 6 is reserved for like 1 or 2 anime.
Jun 28, 2016 8:13 PM

Jun 2015
JustALEX said:
They're probably elitists who think giving anything higher than 6 is reserved for like 1 or 2 anime.

Thats most likely whats happening.
Jun 28, 2016 8:15 PM

Dec 2015
It all depends on how they rate anime. I think 5 is an average score while a lot of people think 7 is an average score. Maybe they think 4 is an average rating for an average anime.
Jun 28, 2016 8:16 PM

Apr 2014
Yeah they probably sing "hello darkness my old friend" in bed until they fall asleep too.
Jun 28, 2016 8:16 PM

Jan 2016
Nah but they are elitists or as i like to call them ''special snowflakes''.
Jun 28, 2016 8:17 PM

Nov 2015
What're you talking about?
It's a known fact that anyone who has a mean score under 7 hates animu..
Jun 28, 2016 8:18 PM

Jun 2016
They don't hate anime. They just have shit taste. Not enough ecchi and fanservice.
Asa Akira said:
It's called S&M if both parties enjoy it; Otherwise it's called being an asshole.

Jun 28, 2016 8:20 PM

Oct 2014
I'm glad this was done with 4.00 rather than 5.00 because of my own mean of 4.91 (I swear it's going up, I just haven't really completed many anime recently since I'm watching a 14 cour anime).

I would say it depends on their rating system. If they use a 6-10 scale shifted down to 1-5 then I doubt they enjoy anime much less than someone who uses a traditional 6-10 scale. If they use the full scale but watch a lot of short films, music videos, and commercials that they rate low but don't spend much time on in comparison to the other anime they watch then by anime count it may be that they don't enjoy "most of the anime" they watch, but in terms of time or even episode count they are enjoying most of what they watch then I wouldn't say they hate anime. If they pick up all the anime that airs each season (40+ series) and rate most of the 2- 6 because they truly aren't enjoying them but are just suffering through them in order to stay updated with everyone else and be able to give full informed reviews of all the anime of every season then I would say that even if they don't hate anime as a medium (why would they still be watching if they did?), they do hate most of the anime they watch. That kind of person may enjoy hating on stuff so the enjoyment may come from expressing their unenjoyment (eg. writing reviews of their hatred). If someone watching the Super Bowl for the commercials and dreads the actual game because that isn't what they're there for it doesn't mean they hate football. If someone watches anime to criticize it that doesn't mean they hate anime because the act of watching the anime isn't what they were intending to get enjoyment from.
Jun 28, 2016 8:22 PM

Feb 2015
They are enlightened about the 'truth'. Well luckily I don't.
Jun 28, 2016 8:27 PM
Jul 2018
Well, since I've been here my score has stooped from a stupidly high 8-9 to like a 5.7 so needless to say, anyone's taste can change at any given moment.
removed-userJun 28, 2016 8:39 PM
Jun 28, 2016 8:28 PM

Feb 2015
You should stop watching anime if your mean score is less than 7.
Jun 28, 2016 8:30 PM

Oct 2014
devinder said:
I'm sorta glad this is coming from someone with a mean of 4.35.
Jun 28, 2016 8:41 PM

Sep 2015
They Rate the Anime based on Story - Art - Sound - Character - Enjoyment

And what keeps them watching Anime is definitely Enjoyment , Maybe Overall score is 4 and Enjoyment is 7
Jun 28, 2016 8:42 PM

May 2016
devinder said:

Nooooooooooo, I'm 0.3 points from 7...maybe I should cheat and change some scores real quick lololol...
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jun 28, 2016 8:42 PM

Aug 2015
To be honest, I kinda envy those people because I have a really high mean score

8.32... too high lol

That's what I honestly think though. I'm not gonna give out lower scores just to bring down my mean score
Jun 28, 2016 8:47 PM

Dec 2009
MechaGuy said:
No. Maybe they just watch a lot of bad anime.
Pretty much my opinion as well on the matter.
Jun 28, 2016 8:47 PM

Jul 2015
They don't hate anime. They're just either very picky or much harder to please.

caught in the wonder
Jun 28, 2016 8:53 PM
May 2015
devinder said:
This ^^
Like I just don't get why they still keep watching anime if they hate 90% of the animes out there. How do they manage to keep watching only to end up getting disappointed most of the time?

Jun 28, 2016 9:00 PM

May 2015
do you even understand what a mean score means

are we calling people elitist because they don't like SOME anime?

da fuk

that word must sure apply for alot of things

devinder said:

ur mean score is 4.4, not sure if joking.

jc9622 said:
devinder said:
This ^^
Like I just don't get why they still keep watching anime if they hate 90% of the animes out there. How do they manage to keep watching only to end up getting disappointed most of the time?

though this maybe is a somewhat fair point(but not really)

but it's just worth it in the end for the good anime y'know.

anime isn't bad even if 98% of it was trash

bad work doesn't invalidate good work

edit: I just chose this Water over coffee

WHAT A BEVERAGE ELITIST
ashfrliebertJun 28, 2016 9:06 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 28, 2016 9:01 PM

May 2016
jc9622 said:
devinder said:
This ^^

LOLOLOL, you know his post was a joke right? His mean score is 4.35 XDXDXD
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jun 28, 2016 9:02 PM
May 2015
HyperL said:
jc9622 said:
This ^^

LOLOLOL, you know his post was a joke right? His mean score is 4.35 XDXDXD
Yea, I just realized that a second ago before you replied and after I checked his profile. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jun 28, 2016 9:04 PM

May 2014
ashfrliebert said:
do you even understand what a mean score means

are we calling people elitist because they don't like SOME anime?

da fuk

that word must sure apply for alot of things

This isn't "some". I'm sure OP is referring to people who watched a ton of anime, hundreds, instead of someone who only has 20-25 titles on their list.

devinder said:

ur mean score is 4.4, not sure if joking.

You're learning what sarcasm is. Congrats.

jc9622 said:
This ^^

though this maybe is a somewhat fair point

It's just how people score. If in your perspective they're wasting their lives, let them. Don't waste yours worrying about how they spend their lives, spend your time deciding how you want to spend your time. :P
Jun 28, 2016 9:11 PM

May 2015
Temmie said:

This isn't "some". I'm sure OP is referring to people who watched a ton of anime, hundreds, instead of someone who only has 20-25 titles on their list.

some
an unspecified amount or number of.

it applies absolutely

the point is it doesn't really matter if you hate an overwhelming amount of series you've watched, the good work is still good. and if someone is willing to dig through trash to find it, that's them.

hating some work, whether or not it's 850 works out of 1000, doesn't mean you hate the whole medium.

edit: and even with that, if you rate six anime 7 and four 1, it's going to average out to below 5 lol.

It's just how people score. If in your perspective they're wasting their lives, let them. Don't waste yours worrying about how they spend their lives, spend your time deciding how you want to spend your time. :P

yes, good point.
Jun 28, 2016 9:11 PM

Feb 2013
They're probably harsh-rating completionists who pick up shows on a whim. Also, I bet their lists are full of shorts, OVAs, and seasonal anime. Doesn't mean they hate all anime though, just that they have no real standards when choosing what to watch. I'm sure they also have shows they love, otherwise they'd find a better hobby.
Jun 28, 2016 9:15 PM

May 2015
Basically, bad work doesn't invalidate good work. And it's not best to generalize, period. Some anime are good, some anime's bad. Whether it's *most* or not is besides the point.

But I guess this is a fair question, I don't think it was phrased very well though..
Jun 28, 2016 9:18 PM

May 2016
devinder said:

You gave 5 Centimeters Per Second a 4/10. You must be destroyed immediately.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 28, 2016 9:32 PM

Jun 2016
I disagree with how most people rate things. I think a 5 isn't a bad score, it means the show was average and didn't impress me too much, but I still finished it willingly.
For most on MAL though, a 5 means don't touch with a ten foot pole.
The way I see it, if I'm more harsh, my highly scored anime has a lot more meaning to me. If everything I watched was rated a 7-10, then those scores would lose all meaning.
My scores are a way of ranking the shows I like in groups. In general, I ignore what the numbers mean. If two shows on my list share the same score, that means I believe they are on about the same level. It helps me remember how I feel about shows.
Jun 28, 2016 9:36 PM

Oct 2014
Zelkiiro said:
devinder said:

I gave 5cm/s the same score. It's also the same score I gave to Akira, Another, A-Channel, Plastic Memories, SAO (both seasons), and 76 other anime (mostly shorts). If any of those piss you off more than my score of 5cm/s feel free to come at me. I also gave Ao Haru Ride a 3 and I gave Natsu-iro Egao de 1, 2, Jump!, a 5 minute music video, an 8.
Jun 28, 2016 9:37 PM

Nov 2014
You said:
So I recently saw some people whose mean score is below 4.00, do you guys think they hate animu? discuss.
I don't all hate anime, just gintama

Jun 28, 2016 9:40 PM

May 2016
zombie_pegasus said:
Zelkiiro said:

I gave 5cm/s the same score. It's also the same score I gave to Akira, Another, A-Channel, Plastic Memories, SAO (both seasons), and 76 other anime (mostly shorts). If any of those piss you off more than my score of 5cm/s feel free to come at me. I also gave Ao Haru Ride a 3 and I gave Natsu-iro Egao de 1, 2, Jump!, a 5 minute music video, an 8.

Y'see, none of those other titles bother me. But 5cm is one of the greatest goddamn anime films of all time, and you gave it a 4/10. I am Zulway, God of Mercy. This score displeases me. Prepare yourself for destruction.

Jun 28, 2016 9:41 PM
Aug 2014
No, I like anime and my mean score is 3.32
Jun 28, 2016 9:46 PM

Jun 2016
zombie_pegasus said:

I'll bite. Why the hate for Akira? I can understand not liking it, but putting it on the same level of SAO? Do you not care for visuals at all?
Jun 28, 2016 9:47 PM

May 2015
JustALEX said:
kryptic2g said:
Nah but they are elitists or as i like to call them ''special snowflakes''.
Natsu_No_Shiro said:
JustALEX said:

How does a low mean score define someone as elitist? How does even hating on anime make someone elitist?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2016 9:51 PM

Jan 2014
You said:

Those kind of people are special snowflakes. Don't disturb them or they will huff really hard and will slam their sweaty hands on the keyboard to shut you down

Kona_Kana said:
No, I like anime and my mean score is 3.32

Idk what your rating system is like but a 3.32 mean is....quite something bro

Jun 28, 2016 10:00 PM

Oct 2014
thesound said:
zombie_pegasus said:

I'll bite. Why the hate for Akira? I can understand not liking it, but putting it on the same level of SAO? Do you not care for visuals at all?
I'm glad you picked that one since I've already written a 450 word review on why I hate it.

I'm even planning on making a recommendation between it and Glasslip for both being anime that have good sound and visuals but shitty story and characters (I love making unhelpful recommendations and then not actually publishing them into the MAL rec system).
Jun 28, 2016 10:06 PM

Jun 2016
I don't know why they would force themselves to watch a series they hate, anything 5 or bellow i would drop because i would feel like i could use that time to watch something that i actually enjoy. I'm not a critic anyway so I just score shows based on my enjoyment.
Jun 28, 2016 10:10 PM
Aug 2014
EmperorQ said:
I don't know why they would force themselves to watch a series they hate, anything 5 or bellow i would drop because i would feel like i could use that time to watch something that i actually enjoy. I'm not a critic anyway so I just score shows based on my enjoyment.

I honestly find it better to watch bad shows as it really helps you better appreciate the better ones you love when you comes across them.
Jun 28, 2016 10:12 PM

Jan 2016
Either that or they're engaging in masochism in regards to their entertainment.
Jun 28, 2016 10:13 PM

Jun 2016
Kona_Kana said:
EmperorQ said:

I honestly find it better to watch bad shows as it really helps you better appreciate the better ones you love when you comes across them.
Never thought of it that way, wanna recommend me some shorter shit anime lol
Jun 28, 2016 10:17 PM

Oct 2014
EmperorQ said:
At what point do you usually drop an anime, though? Is it three episodes, one episode, or even just 15 minutes? There are plenty of anime shorter than all of these; in fact the median length of all anime is just three episodes. I rarely drop anime that are under 15 minutes long, hence the reason why they make up 92% of my 1s, 86% of my 2s, 68% of my 3s, and 61% of my 4s.
Jun 28, 2016 10:20 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Natsu_No_Shiro said:
JustALEX said:

i third this lol

i see no fucking reason to finish a show you're going to rate so low...... my favorite are the people who finish a 25 episode anime then rate it a 1 or 2

EmperorQ said:

ive said this SOOOOO MANY times lol

Jun 2016
zombie_pegasus said:
EmperorQ said:
At what point do you usually drop an anime, though? Is it three episodes, one episode, or even just 15 minutes? There are plenty of anime shorter than all of these; in fact the median length of all anime is just three episodes. I rarely drop anime that are under 15 minutes long, hence the reason why they make up 92% of my 1s, 86% of my 2s, 68% of my 3s, and 61% of my 4s.
Usually after 7 or 8 episodes should be enough to hook me, except for a super long series like one piece that took about 15.

Mar 2014
No, they wouldn't be on an anime forum if they hated it, unless they're a very pathetic troll with nothing else to do. I think they just use a different scoring system, I've seen some people who use 3 as average, or maybe they watch a lot of bad shorts, or maybe they're just really critical, even a 4 is relatively enjoyable for me, so I understand that. Of course, it's possible they're just trying to be part of the imaginary cool kids club, but I think there's a different reason for each person.
Jun 28, 2016 10:22 PM

May 2009
They are very exigent in terms of quality and taste I guess. No, they're not elitists, I've only ever met one user who is a so called elitist.

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

Jun 28, 2016 10:23 PM
Apr 2014
Nah. Most of the time their list is padded with shorts and OVAs. I probably shouldn't be talking since my mean score is 4.27.
Jun 28, 2016 10:24 PM

May 2016
Mamster-P said:
Natsu_No_Shiro said:

i third this lol

i see no fucking reason to finish a show you're going to rate so low...... my favorite are the people who finish a 25 episode anime then rate it a 1 or 2

Because some of us write reviews and take it seriously. And some of us don't have time to watch something halfway, realize it's poo-poo garbage, and pick something else up--once we've committed, we've committed. And tearing a lousy series a new asshole is cathartic. And you can't just always watch good shows or else you'll become numb to what makes a series good, so you have to watch dumpster grease like Lucky Star to once again appreciate just how amazing Now and Then, Here and There truly is. There are plenty of reasons to complete a bad show.

Jun 28, 2016 10:25 PM
Aug 2014
EmperorQ said:
Kona_Kana said:

Never thought of it that way, wanna recommend me some shorter shit anime lol

If you're talking really short shit series awful on pretty much every level then: Shitcom, Mars of Destruction, No Littering, Utsu Musume Sayuri, Nami, Sleeping w/ Hinako, Unko-San, Agitated Screams of Maggots and Tenshi Drop.

Then there are just series which are just IMO bad, (not trying to offend anyone who likes these) Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Plastic Nee-san, Golden Time, Charlotte, Kaze no Stigma just to name a few. Pretty much whatever I gave a 1/10 I don't think is that great.

Then there's stuff that's so bad it's kind of funny like Inferno Cop.
KonakanaJun 28, 2016 10:44 PM
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you pick new anime to watch thinking you probably will like it? Or just picking whatever is popular?

Rinrinka - 2 minutes ago

0 by Rinrinka »»
2 minutes ago

» How far are you willing to forgive anime for its obvious (to you) disadvantages?

RobertBobert - Today

19 by Dachitosoru »»
3 minutes ago

» Why do veteran weebs hate "casuals"? ( 1 2 )

Clovis - Apr 29

54 by AdityaRizkiS »»
4 minutes ago

» What is the most memorable first episode of an anime you've watched?

mahrjose - Today

27 by MichaelJackson »»
6 minutes ago

» What's the most important feature in an anime for you?

new_Ango - 5 hours ago

24 by Kushna »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.