Forum Settings
Forums

Tips for getting into a long running series

New
Feb 2, 2016 3:49 PM

May 2014
So. I've recently gotten into manga. The first manga I picked up was Boku no Hero Academia, which I've finally caught up with last week. I then read A Silent Voice in 2 days (it was really good). I want to dive into another series, but there are a lot of series that have lots and lots of volumes and chapters, like JoJo. It is kinda overwhelming for me, so I am looking for some tips to aid me in reading. Do you pace yourself a certain way? Do you try speeding through as much as you can? If you picked up a manga after watching the anime, do you start the manga from the beginning? Or look for where the anime left off? Any help is fine. Thanks.
Feb 2, 2016 4:05 PM

Jun 2015
In the words of the mighty Shia Labeouf "JUST DO IT". And don't rush it. Enjoy the experience. Though the amount of reading that's ahead of you may seem intimidating, you have all the time in the world. You really do.
It is also up to you how you "plan" it. Do you want to finish/catch up with one first and then the other? Or can you read them all at the same time?
I just do it how I feel like it.

When I pick up a manga after watching the anime, I usually start where the anime left off because the reason I wanna read the manga is because I wanna know how it continues. I'm just too impatient to start from the very beginning.
Feb 2, 2016 9:03 PM

Nov 2013
Piece by piece. Although Jojo might be one of the easier long runners to get into because it's 8 distinct stories and not just one set of characters going on forever.
Feb 2, 2016 9:05 PM

May 2014
BonerBender said:
Piece by piece. Although Jojo might be one of the easier long runners to get into because it's 8 distinct stories and not just one set of characters going on forever.

Where do you exactly start for jojo? I've been wanting to read it.
Feb 2, 2016 9:19 PM

Nov 2013
Nerps64 said:
BonerBender said:

Part 1 would probably be the best. However, it's universally considered to be the worst part by far. Since the story is told by different generations of Jojos over 100 years or so, you can jump in at a lot of places and only missing some references.

2 would be a good one too.

3 would be another great one. At this point the series goes under a massive change and this is where the series truly becomes great and only gets better once you get to 4. However, the series is very much a sequel to 1. You can still read it, but it has a lot to do with 1.
Feb 2, 2016 9:25 PM

May 2014
BonerBender said:
Nerps64 said:

Part 1 would probably be the best. However, it's universally considered to be the worst part by far. Since the story is told by different generations of Jojos over 100 years or so, you can jump in at a lot of places and only missing some references.

2 would be a good one too.

3 would be another great one. At this point the series goes under a massive change and this is where the series truly becomes great and only gets better once you get to 4. However, the series is very much a sequel to 1. You can still read it, but it has a lot to do with 1.

i'll probably start with 1.
Feb 8, 2016 3:53 PM

May 2010
Last manga i managed to catch up to is Kingdom which is at 462 chapters currently.
I read fairly slow for various reasons and i started out with 10 chapters a day .

After a week i reached the second arc and i was reading for hours straight every day cause i was so hooked on it i had to find out what happens next. At that point i pretty much read the manga in 5 weeks.

If you struggle getting into new manga like me because they arent always great from chapter 1 then set yourself a goal and just keep reading.
Feb 10, 2016 8:16 PM

Oct 2015
Kerozinn said:
Last manga i managed to catch up to is Kingdom which is at 462 chapters currently.
I read fairly slow for various reasons and i started out with 10 chapters a day .

After a week i reached the second arc and i was reading for hours straight every day cause i was so hooked on it i had to find out what happens next. At that point i pretty much read the manga in 5 weeks.

If you struggle getting into new manga like me because they arent always great from chapter 1 then set yourself a goal and just keep reading.

i also go about the same when reading a new manga, also another way would be to be manga story arc wise this method is not very popular but i found it helpful, in this you read a single complete story arc in one go. i went about reading one piece, kingdom, hunter x hunter etc. like this
(story arcs can be found in net by searching)
Feb 11, 2016 8:04 PM

Oct 2012
Long running mangas (as with all manga) never update faster than once a week (some are biweekly/monthly, and some update 3 chapters a year...), so just keep in mind that as long as you can read 2 chapters a week (that's nothing) you will catch up eventually, so you never really have to worry about the manga outpacing you.

Start off by forcing yourself to read a few chapters a day (like say, 5-10 chapters a day). If you finish the batch and you're really bored but you don't want to drop, then just lower the amount to 1-3 a day (just keep it above once a week and you're safe). If you finish a batch but you're in the middle of a story event and want to finish it, then good keep reading until you're done with it. When the story (hopefully) finally hooks you then you won't need to worry about forcing yourself anymore, and you can just read at your natural pace.

Just read and enjoy the story, and don't worry about catching up. It always sucks to catch up anyway, especially if there's no community/discussion to help you through the wait for the next chapters.

If you've read a few chapters and are bored already, before deciding to drop look up what arcs people recommend were the best, and try to at least give them a chance. Also, the first arc of a manga tends to be the weakest since they're just starting off, so try to at least get through what are obviously introductory arcs before dropping. E.g. if you read One Piece try to at least reach the start of the grand line or Alabasta. If reading Kingdom try to at least reach the first war campaign. First arcs of long-running series are almost never indicative of the rest of the manga.
Feb 14, 2016 7:32 PM
Jul 2018
What I do is I try to read a couple of chapters a day. Maybe 3-5. I don't force it though because then I get distracted and lose sight of what I'm reading. What's important is that you're in the mood to read.
Feb 14, 2016 10:39 PM

Apr 2015
Just dont force yourself, maybe a few a day
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2016 2:03 PM

Jan 2014
I would recommend waiting for it to end, but if you don't prefer that, you can just watch one a day. More if you like.

"With all due respect, if you keep running your mouth, I'm gonna lose it."

More topics from this board

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

14 by Eziprez »»
10 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

380 by Kkulpanda »»
11 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

9 by Shirayukin »»
Yesterday, 6:55 PM

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

22 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 3:20 PM

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
Yesterday, 1:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.