Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2009 12:13 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
where's ed off to, and where are mustang and hawkeye headed?? i'm confused TT-TT

and i hate those dumb elric imposters. why are they being brought back now, and at the end too? GRR.
I want your soul... so please, click.
Jul 18, 2009 6:51 PM

Dec 2008
mustang was going to king bradley's estate before he met up with ed, and ed is probly going to see the homunculus' master. idr we'll see.

the tringum brothers got arrested for impersonating the elrics. serves them right for once.
Jul 22, 2009 10:43 AM

Jan 2009
Roy Mustang RULZ *_*!!! sending havoc in his place, that was so cool!

May 23, 2011 4:51 PM

Dec 2010
Yeah, I dislike this impostors and they show up just at the end, wtf? Mustang made a great move, but we know nothing about King Bradley for now, nor if Mustang is able to beat him. I hope that Sensei did beat Archer, he's worse than ever now.
May 26, 2011 8:56 PM

Jul 2010
Meritas said:
I hope that Sensei did beat Archer, he's worse than ever now.

i know, he was about to fire his LAZOR BLLLLLAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!
now on to the upcoming battles.

Sep 8, 2012 4:46 AM

May 2012
Mostly a filler story to strengthen the global ending! Decent episode still :)
Oct 8, 2012 8:59 AM

Jul 2009
lol at Archer with that terminator like appearance :P

hope Izumi beat the hell out of him

lol Roy and Riza switch places with Havoc and Kain.

i see Riza is still jealous about that nurse with Roy :P

tringum brothers up to no good as always.

i wonder what was written on the letter??

a secret passage or something??

i think Roy Mustang will confront the Presdent himself, while Ed will go to the secret passage and find Homunculus there.

only 3 episodes left T___T
SomaHeirOct 8, 2012 9:18 AM
Oct 29, 2012 2:28 PM

May 2012
Great episode as always, but cmon - Archer Robot was a little over the top dont ya think? At least make him steam powered or something xD
Aug 19, 2013 10:49 PM

May 2013
This episode was pretty serene-- the calm before the storm. Let's wait for things to get riled up
Oct 25, 2013 4:03 PM

Oct 2013
"Nicely done, sweetheart. Clean up after yourselves and take care of each other."

I might be the only one, but I was straight up sobbing for 2 or 3 hours after this when I first watched it. At no other point was I more convinced that Sloth truly was their mother - an incomplete transmutation, not a failed one. AND THEY KILLED HER!

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 2, 2013 1:47 PM
May 2013
chthonianghost said:
"Nicely done, sweetheart. Clean up after yourselves and take care of each other."

I might be the only one, but I was straight up sobbing for 2 or 3 hours after this when I first watched it. At no other point was I more convinced that Sloth truly was their mother - an incomplete transmutation, not a failed one. AND THEY KILLED HER!

I totally agree, that was definitely one of the saddest moments in anime I have ever seen! Was just sooooo sad, I can still remember the piano tune playing during the scene. The original is full of these moments of course.
Jan 31, 2014 3:36 PM

Jun 2012
i just knew it had to be Envy there is no way Winry would be there she has no reason to be there.

**** every time lovely characters are dying and hateful characters come back again now archer is back again or what ever is left of him.

tucker somehow got what he deserved he got the soulless Nina doll and he will have to deal with reality now that's a hard punishment to but still after everything he did he deserved to be death to but o well.

there is so much happening in this last few episodes that it feel like i am watching a entire anime in just a few episodes.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
May 30, 2014 5:37 AM

Oct 2013
terminator archer DESTROY
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Aug 7, 2014 5:32 AM

Jul 2013
I like the fake Elric's tbh. They got arrested over a book though lol.

Roy's plan was ingenious and Roy in a suit <3

Archer was like some freaky X-Men character lol.
Sep 22, 2014 8:13 PM

Jan 2014
Archer has never looked better.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 30, 2014 1:33 AM

Oct 2010
Ed can't bring himself to cry. Which was what I felt. Perhaps it's because finally they settled with the sin they made...

I don't get one thing, if Roy and Riza are going to the Fuhrer's place, why did they split up with Ed? Is it because of the talk they had in the car, that Ed changed his objective? Or because he feels that Roy will be the one tackling Bradley?

I also remember now, why this anime sits at a truly special place in my heart:
"There's always something more important than ourselves... or our dreams..."

Man, the ending is near.
Dec 28, 2014 7:07 AM
May 2012
rpool179 said:
chthonianghost said:

I totally agree, that was definitely one of the saddest moments in anime I have ever seen! Was just sooooo sad, I can still remember the piano tune playing during the scene. The original is full of these moments of course.

Even if she is not a human, she has a life, and they are the ones who gave her......Was killing her really the right thing to do?? I don't know, but killing her felt wrong.
Feb 15, 2015 4:03 AM

Apr 2013
Really now the two impostors AND their sensei suddenly appear in the same episode? And also cyborg Archer wtf O_O
Feb 17, 2015 2:06 AM

Jan 2014
Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams.
Mar 16, 2015 3:22 AM

Sep 2014
So Riza is jealous of the nurse. Hum. I will ship Riza x Mustang.

Gator said:
Really now the two impostors AND their sensei suddenly appear in the same episode? And also cyborg Archer wtf O_O

Well, I expected some kind of cyborg archer back when they showed he was still alive (which made no sense since he was disintegrated when the stone was created). But I didn't expect the imposter brothers to reappear. They didn't even have a purpose in this episode. o.O
Jul 13, 2015 5:55 PM

May 2015
I really wish Mustang and Ed became better friends. I guess that's why I loved the ending handshake so much. Hughes was a great mutual friend, so I feel like they could have been closer
Jul 14, 2015 3:53 PM

Nov 2014
Ed is so deep T^T <3
It feels so weird talking about Ed, since that's my dads name...

Mustang is so amazing <3
He really planned everything out perfectly.
And jealous Riza was funny

I'm glad Ed knew right away that it wasn't Winry

Lol the Tringum brothers are back. The little one is so cute. ^,^

Why did Archer have to come back? L_L Ugh that guy...And now he's a cyborg? Nice touch, but still. I hope Izumi is okay. We've lost so many great characters, I don't want anything to happen to Izumi too =(
Aug 3, 2015 5:41 PM

Aug 2015
This episode feels sort of like the calm before the storm. Lots of things happening, and yet nothing really exciting.

I'm guessing that location the Tringam brothers gave Ed is where Dante is? And I'm hoping to see an awesome fight between Mustang and the Fuhrer! We haven't seen Mustang fight near enough!

★ 3/5
Nov 28, 2015 6:40 AM

Nov 2011
Episode a little less interesting than usual, narrative is always melancholy and quite dramatic, so stay quite addictive, because it looks like Mustang and Ed have matured mentally a little. The next episode seems more interesting than this, I run now to see it. What a surprise revisit Archer back on the field.
Nov 28, 2015 1:40 PM
Nov 2014
Edward has really developed as a more matured character isn't he ? Very good episode. Roy looks so damn cool with that coat.
Feb 20, 2016 3:22 PM
Oct 2014
The life lessons conveyed in Edward's speech in the car with Mustang and Hawkeye were brilliantly implemented into the story. That scene was a masterpiece.
Mar 4, 2016 11:12 AM

Jan 2014
fourfinger5s said:
The life lessons conveyed in Edward's speech in the car with Mustang and Hawkeye were brilliantly implemented into the story. That scene was a masterpiece.

One of my favorite scenes. The dialogue is just amazing.
Mar 6, 2016 2:14 AM

Dec 2013
Terminator Archer was really wtf

I didn't think we would ever see those two brothers ever again.
Mar 25, 2016 8:27 PM

May 2014
zacrathedemon5 said:
fourfinger5s said:

Agree with both of the above, I thought it was brilliant. Gotta find the music that plays during that segment. It's played during some of Scar's best moments too.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Feb 12, 2017 1:24 PM

Oct 2014
WTF is up with Archer lol. Hopefully the crew manage to kill the Fuhrer and Mustang will become the new Fuhrer.
May 30, 2017 11:18 AM

Jan 2013
Lmao, Archer looked absolutely ridiculous.
Jul 3, 2017 2:29 PM

Jun 2017
I laughed so hard when Russell got arrested for pretending to be Ed while trying to buy books lmaoooo If I were ever to be arrested, that would probably be the reason tbh. I really like Fletcher, he's really cute. I wasn't expecting those brothers to show up ever again.

I love how Sensei and Ed were bickering while doing all that dangerous alchemy stuff because the Fuhrer wasn't actually there! Classic.
Apr 28, 2018 1:28 AM

Sep 2013
I'm gonna be so pissed if Ed and Al don't get their bodies back at the end of this series.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 6, 2019 4:27 PM

Aug 2007
I really like that Mustang mentioned thinking on such a big scale can drive you crazy... and that as an individual, you have to focus on what is front of you.

I think this especially true in very complicated situations. It's easy to fall into depression and give into your fears thinking of all the bad things out of your control.

Even, as Ed said, you had pure intentions that created hurt in the end, it matters that you become aware of it and work to change what you can. But Mustang was there to remind him you can only do so much. After all, being a human means realizing your limitations and still adapting to the situation.

Jun 22, 2019 6:23 AM

Jul 2016
This episode was really good. The speech between Ed and Mustang was really sad and well written.
Apr 29, 2020 8:16 PM

Nov 2017
Oh so that wasn't Winry, but Envy in disguise! Oh great, Al's been kidnapped!

Izumi's back! Neat! Her bastard still wants nothing to do with her though. Wrath sure likes choking Ed for some reason. That "Even though she was your mother too" part really got to Ed.

Golly, Archer, you look even lamer than before. It's strange how other and more interesting characters died and yet he's still alive. &++ a projectile in your mouth? Yeah, 'cause you blow as a character! Hehe, I crack myself up. 😂

Anyway, the conversation between Ed and Roy is probably one of the best moments in the anime honestly. Something as simple as a conversation between two people is one of the best things? Crazy, huh?

They're definitely both about to be heading into something dark. And the way they say goodbye... it's like they both know it'll be a long time (if ever) before they see each other again. It's even heavier since this episode's title is "Goodbye".

Godspeed, you two!
May 30, 2020 8:59 AM
Mar 2014
RafaelDeJongh said:
Mostly a filler story to strengthen the global ending! Decent episode still :)

The Ed monologue explains much, its deep and the story should slow down, its not filler.

Ed said that stone is in human hearts, the same thing we heard from Dante few episodes before.

Wood magic boys come with new information about underground city.

And now the most exciting episode 49 coming with more reveal of the past and new action, emotional fights where all characters have reasons, like Envy :)

Jul 2, 2020 6:16 AM

May 2020
Not much happening this episode. Aside from the staged rebellion, it feels like a filler. The only memorable scene is between Roy and Ed. And how many times has Al now being kidnapped? He should make a profession out of it. Funnily enough, right after it happens Ed calmly chats with Izumi instead of going after Envy. The last 2-3 episodes just seem a bit sloppy to me...
Jun 12, 2021 3:19 PM

Jan 2020
I wasn't expecting to see the fake elric brothers again lol. But damn, sloth is dead and I feel bad for everyone

Aug 7, 2021 9:33 AM
Jan 2021
I think that was a really strong episode, especially the last piece of dialogue between Ed and Roy.
Final confrontation is incoming.
TO EXCEL IS TO FAIL
Oct 12, 2022 12:31 PM

Dec 2016
zacrathedemon5 said:
fourfinger5s said:

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams."

Very powerful line from a very mature Edward Elric. Someone mentioned how dark and depressing this show has gotten and implied it was a bad thing, but I disagree. I like this development from Ed.
Oct 26, 2022 6:02 AM

May 2018
More of a build up episode. I doubt Bradley will die easily, given how quick he is

also wtf Archer turned into an actual fullmetal alchemist lol
ByniavoOct 26, 2022 6:06 AM
Nov 3, 2022 2:41 PM
Aug 2022
2022 rewatch
this episode was good besides two things. one thing is that i find it hard to convince myself that soldiers were completely convinced that the fake elric brothers were actually well.. the elric brothers. i'm damn sure everyone knows al is a suit of armor, so like.. the hell? their only reason is literally to conveniently give a note to ed so he knew where dante was.
another thing, and the absolute worst... TERMINARCHER. i cannot STAND this thing. WHO ASKED? it infuriates me so much. why couldn't they just gotten rid of archer? now he sticks out like a sore thumb being this cyborg. as far as i'm aware, fma is not a sci-fi series. i forgot how much i hated terminarcher's existence. i'm sure he doesn't have that much of a purpose either if i'm remembering correctly. he had no reason to be here.
i'm pretty sure that this is the last time ed and mustang will cross paths, but i'm not sure. besides the fake elric brothers and terminarcher, this episode was decent.
Aug 18, 2023 11:02 PM
Aug 2023
Very interesting concepts presented in this episode making it so that the show is more visually stimulating the idea of the gate representing a similar world I believe allowed for a more compelling storyline. When comparing this idea to brotherhood's both takes are brilliant.
Apr 11, 3:16 PM

Jun 2015
Wrath is the most annoying character ever. Why is he still alive bruh. Someone plz kill him. Edward has grown up! He really let Tucker go without screaming and crying. So cute. LMAO they turned Archer into the Terminator. They really started a revolution by listening to the big guy's muscles.
Read Toriko!

More topics from this board

» Dub or Sub?

infinite_Shadows - Apr 28

20 by SalvatorePiazza »»
Apr 30, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 20, 2008

67 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 13, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 21, 2008

170 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:46 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 12, 2009

56 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 11, 2009

57 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.