Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2009 8:04 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Now I want more.. More Captain Harlock, More Metaru,, Just plain more.
Fortunatly, It appears that there is a whole lot more.
Dec 19, 2011 6:02 PM

Apr 2008
Can anyone tell me the name of the song the woman in the saloon on Traders Fork sings when Tetsuro enters? I really liked it.
May 6, 2012 2:26 PM

Apr 2012
Tetsuro's going to have a few issues then...

Seems like this would be a great series, it's like this barely even scratched the surface with the brief time spent on the various stops and characters. Pulled it off well though, especially in the final part of the plot with the twists. Made me LOL when I heard what the queen was planning to use him for.

Loved the music in it, proper old-school cinematic, the art was very good for the time though maybe a bit too cartoonish for some designs, good pacing too, quite keen to check out the 113 episodes in the series now...
Aug 13, 2012 9:23 AM

Feb 2012
Having just finished the series I decided to watch this movie, and I didn't think it worked very well. Of course many things are bound to be different. Tetsuro was given a juvenile delinquent personality. Partly it worked well, as in the series Tetsuro's childish tantrums were frequently infuriating. But the series also has good (often very subtle) character development. Maetel was always a mystery in the series but often you got an insight on how she felt about things, here she had almost no personality and it felt like she was more a plot device than anything else.

The series also has a very different mood. This felt like a more juvenile action piece whereas the series is more like a rumination on the evils of humanity, the despair of poverty, often quite a clear analogy of post-war Japan. The main problem with this movie is though that many of the scenes made little sense. In the series the Pluto episode is important, poignant and sad, here it seemed rather pointless. Also Hochiro appearing didn't make sense, maybe if I had seen Captain Harlock I would understand what that whole segment was doing in the movie. There were also things like Antares appearing at the time castle etc. The way the plot was changed was in many ways clever though.

It's not all bad, the animation was a lot better than the series and the story as it was told here was solid despite the numerous scenes that only make sense to people who've seen related works. In short maybe the genre of this movie wasn't to my taste as much as the series. The series doesn't even have that much to do with space, it wouldn't be that different if it was about visiting different countries. To sum up the genres (more prominent ones listed first):

GE999 (series): Adventure, coming-of-age, drama, philosophy
GE999 (movie): Action, sci-fi, drama
May 18, 2015 1:36 PM

Mar 2015
Never watched the series but after this movie I plan to.
Really liked it and seeing a galaxy express visiting different planets made me feel like a kid again.
Also it was cool to see Captain Harlock,I'll definetly watch his series now aswell.
Aug 9, 2015 4:36 PM

Jul 2010
I watched the series first and then this and felt like it was the right decision to do. I like the animation and music here more but otherwise I prefer the 113 episodes series more.
Nov 26, 2015 4:36 PM

May 2012
So after finishing the series I decided to watch the movies, specials, recaps and all other parts of this wonderful franchise! And with starting this movie I thought this would be more of plain recap of the main series, but it seems they just adapted the main story again as they're a lot of differences, keeping the main story intact though. But I do got to say the differences are strange for me yet also very interesting as they do feel less depressing and in general more globally accepting for some reason.

The biggest difference with this version is the appearance of Tochirou Ooyama, while I personally did not see Captain Harlock yet, I do find it strange that he would appear only in this version of the story, and that with quite an important part to his character development! I do wonder if we'll see this same scene or a similar one in the Harlock series but in general I did find it surprising yet very interesting to have this addition in this movie! It's good though that they did both include Queen Emeraldas and Captain Harlock in this movie which had great parts to assist Tetsurou on his journey!

What I definitely also found interesting is that Maetel actually told that she had the a copy of the body from Tetsurou's mother which we never actually were informed in the main series, together that the ending was more direct which was obvious for a movie and that made the ending also quite more powerful compared to other parts of the movie. I still prefered the series ending but this version sure made it quite interesting as well and stayed true to the original story and of course kept the lovely kissing scene between Tetsurou and Maetel!

What I did found lacking in this movie was amazing performance of Isao Sasaki and the more dramatic OST/atmosphere that was generated through the series with his songs, compared to this OST it was more joyful and happy. This goes as well as with some of the performances, like the song in the bar which was a lot more depressing and dramatic in the original series which was in my opinion a lot better, I can't say that I dislike this one as well though, but still would've preferred more of the original OST!

With that said I do must say that it was a nice adaptation of the story and to see this right after the main series sure makes it interesting to notice the differences but still get a full recap of their journey!

All in all a wonderful and great movie I must say!
RafaelDeJonghNov 26, 2015 4:52 PM
Jul 8, 2016 2:30 AM

Oct 2012
Very beautiful film. The animation was amazing, and my god that OST. I'm tempted to put it on my favorites of all time list.
Jul 11, 2017 11:30 PM
Jul 2018
This movie was a little bit strange to watch! Most of the events occurred in an unnatural way. I do not know if it's because the film condenses the events of the TV series a lot, or if it was a mistake on the part of the direction or the script.
removed-userNov 26, 2017 2:37 PM
Sep 15, 2017 6:07 AM

Mar 2016
I don't understand how can people be so possitive about this movie. Like, a few bulletpoints:
-The first 3 characters to be shown and named are Harlock, Emeraldas and a crew member of the Arcadia.
-Tetsuro's mom was a Harlock fan
-Tetsuro starts talking about how cool Harlock is at random times
-There is no tiem to mention that Emeraldas is Maetel's sister,her role in 999, but they do mention her relationship with Toshiro (that was dropped between the end of the series and the next Harlock property after this movie)
-There is a wink at the end that makes sense only if you identify Harlock's VA (or if someone tells you)
-Out of the planets in the show, they still use Harlock planets.

I feel this movie exists almost exclusively to make Harlock look better, it even spoils the end 2 years early for both manga and anime. And Harlock wasn't even being aired or would be aired for 4 more years.
eh, hago cosas en youtube. Si te pinta pasate www.youtube.com/c/verduritasparasopa
Jan 13, 2019 8:34 AM

Nov 2011
I think this movie was rushed, especially at the climax. And I also don't feel enough chemistry between two main characters, Maetel had too little role in the story I think..
The series should be better right ? But 110+ episodes is too much for me.. Damn ...
The music is a god-tier though ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 28, 2019 5:55 PM
Jan 2012
Have to say it's one of prettiest pieces of animation I've seen so far. I'm glad I watched the series first because otherwise I think would've come away from watching this film feeling like it was quite empty. Maetel and Tetsuro's personalities felt so different, I definitely preferred their characters and the way their bond was portrayed in the series.
Dec 21, 2019 10:28 AM

Nov 2019
This movie was for me okay 6/10
I liked the series more
May 1, 2020 6:10 PM

Oct 2007
While I do think the TV series was a little too long with a bunch of fillers here there but that doesn't mean I want them to compress the whole series into a single 2 hours long movie. The movie itself is fine on its own but it does not have the magic that I or we love about the TV series.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jul 5, 2020 6:43 AM
Sep 2013
I haven't watched the series, approximately how many episodes did this adapt?
Jan 1, 2021 3:46 PM
Jan 2016
WayneSearle said:
I haven't watched the series, approximately how many episodes did this adapt?

The movie covers roughly what is seen in episodes 1, 3-5, 79-81 and 112-113 of the TV series.

However the movie came out while the TV show was airing, so episodes 79-81 and 112-113 actually came out after the movie. So it could be said they were adapting what was in the movie, although there were some changes. Biggest of which is Count Mecha is killed in the first episode of the TV show and so it is a fake Captain Harlock that rules the Time Castle instead.
May 24, 2022 4:50 AM
Sep 2011
I liked the movie, it is an underrated classic when its time accounted for
SPOILER
But holy shit, I can not overlook how evil Maetel and her father are. They literally groomed a kid to commit genocide on their own people.
May 8, 2023 3:55 PM

Oct 2016
Considering how solid this watch was, I can only imagine how good the series is with more time to work with some of the concepts and characters presented. I really enjoyed this. It's cool to see the origins of so many science fiction anime in this. Also, unrelated, but I really think Magic the Gathering took inspiration for Phyrexia from this series. Some of the similarities both visually, and conceptually, were so similar. 
Aug 11, 2023 7:08 AM

Jul 2022
I do like this ending over the TV serie ending.
At least here Tetsuro do have a real 'goodbye speech to Maetel'.
And tetsuro is less annoying then in the TV serie.

But I do think they missed some 'small' stories of the TV serie
I'm glad I watched the TV serie first, since I already got the 'build up connections' with the characters.
Also i'm glad  Queen Emeraldas & Captain Harlock have a little bit more screen time then in the TV serie.

At the other hand, Maetel told Tetsuro she has her mom's body. Which hasn't been told in the TV serie. (The rest has been revealed in the TVserie.)
Overall great movie. Worth to watch.
Sep 21, 2023 7:40 AM

May 2015
This space-traveling adventure with Tetsuro and Maetel was neat. The destinations they went to were cool and varied, and the slow realization throughout the film that being a robot wasn't all it was cracked up to be was also great. The relationship between our two MCs got a little tangled there, but I think it served its purpose as the final chapter of Tetsuro's inner child since that was the metaphor the movie was going for.

More topics from this board

» Can I watch this before seeing the series?

Klonoa7H - Feb 22, 2012

1 by dwpck89c3 »»
Feb 28, 2012 8:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.