Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Silver Spoon
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 13, 2014 8:36 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another great episode. I'm glad Hachiken is feeling a bit better now. I was a bit worried tbh after overworking like that. It takes time to recover I suppose.

Oh snap, he's got a surprising visitor. I find the brief horse riding to be silly mainly because of Ayame XD. I'm glad Hachiken is feeling better now. Dat feels though.
Feb 13, 2014 10:21 AM

Apr 2013
Hachiken's father is a bit harsh. Sucks that Hachiken couldn't leave the hospital and ended up missing the festival.

The festival events looked fun. That humans vs. horses race was funny. Skinny Tamako is hot.
Even though he didn't get to enjoy the events himself, all of Hachiken's preparations helped out.
Hachiken crying because of the people's comments was really touching. The after party was nice.
Feb 13, 2014 10:31 AM

Aug 2012
Really good episode. Hachikens dad is the douche I expected him to be...

Really enjoyed the Hachiken and Mikage moment :)
Feb 13, 2014 10:33 AM

May 2013
Not really liking Hachiken's dad. Good to see him back on his feet again. That Mikage and Hachiken moment was good.
Feb 13, 2014 10:40 AM

Jan 2013
Every episode hits every one of my feeling points. This show does incredible work with the emotional category.

Loved the episode, Not to mention seeing him open up to Mikage a bit. Can't wait for their "date!"
Feb 13, 2014 10:40 AM

Apr 2012
Yeah Hachiken's Dad is a tit. I feel sorry for his Mother who seems to be stuck in the middle. I was hoping for at least a hug from Mikage when Hachiken returned but no such luck! T__T
Feb 13, 2014 10:41 AM

Aug 2010
Poor Hachiken missing the festival he worked so hard on :(

His father was scary as usual XD Even the other patient with Hachiken was scared shitless trying not to make eye contact. What a bad day he had, well I can understand his feeling not wanting to show up. He walked the whole way hehe.

The Banba race was fun. Tamako looks really hot there ^^

Lol'd so much at Todoroki sensei owning the horse XDXDXD Poor Buddha sensei. His cheese is gone XD

Aki thinking "Thank god he's okay" while Hachiken misunderstanding was so lol, Aki was cute then and when she was using her dialect XD "Wicked fun" hahaha

The end with Hachiken crying after seeing how people enjoyed the festival was pretty emotional :*)
Feb 13, 2014 10:57 AM

Aug 2011
I felt so sorry for Hachiken but again he made progress. Though his father feels so annoying/horrible I guess his attitude will change at some point.
Feb 13, 2014 11:02 AM

Mar 2013
Great episode, but hachi needs a slap across the face for treating his poor mother like that!
Feb 13, 2014 11:07 AM

Oct 2013
I really love this show. It has such a wonderful blend of comedic and emotional moments.

A great episode. Everything worked out alright, except for poor Nakajima-sensei.
Feb 13, 2014 11:20 AM

Nov 2010
Hahaha poor Nakajima-sensei, all the cheese was taken.

The first half of the episode was pretty sad, Hachiken's dad sure is a strict mofo. Not to mention how Hachiken missed the festival. I'm glad that cute Mikage made up for it.
Feb 13, 2014 11:25 AM

Jun 2012
Was waiting for this encounter to happen with Hachiken
Hachiken's ongoing relationship with his parents is one my favorite parts of the series
Feb 13, 2014 11:38 AM
Dec 2013
Why ?! Why are they skipped the part with Hachiken oniichan at the festival and when he comes to the hospital and meet their parents ? That was so good and important in the manga (the whole family confrontation).
But I have to admit, I was really more moved when Hachi crying in the anime than in the manga.
But, zut quoi, I waited Shingo's appearance T_T.
Feb 13, 2014 11:50 AM

Feb 2013
fucking idiot being an asshole to his mom
Feb 13, 2014 11:58 AM
Apr 2013
BentoLegend said:
Every episode hits every one of my feeling points. This show does incredible work with the emotional category.

Loved the episode, Not to mention seeing him open up to Mikage a bit. Can't wait for their "date!"

I feel the same way. A-1 Pictures did a great job with both seasons so far, and every episode makes me feel all warm inside.

I wonder if they're actually going to do the date. Can't wait for that either lol. It's so hilarious when Hachiken picks up on Aki's accent too. Best couple of the anime season.
Feb 13, 2014 11:59 AM

Sep 2007
Another glorious episode. Mikage is so cute and those crispy potatoes!
AllografterFeb 13, 2014 12:06 PM

Feb 13, 2014 12:03 PM

Jan 2008
I hope Hachiken makes it so his father can't refute his stance and decisions in later episodes.

Even an episode with so much drama, never fails to make me hungry for food; the cheese and fried crispy tiny potatoes.
Feb 13, 2014 12:06 PM
Jul 2013
Poor Hachiken always have to deal with their emotions, parents, study, and colleagues.
Feb 13, 2014 12:16 PM

Jun 2013
"Of course the large, shapely ones fetch a better price at the market, but rejects have their own way of getting even."

Hachiken may have been a "reject," but each and every episode he's starting to get even. This anime sends such a strong and inspirational message to the youth out there dealing with the stress of trying to be successful that it's really touching whenever I watch an episode.
Feb 13, 2014 12:33 PM

Jul 2012
BakaGekai said:
Another glorious episode. Mikage is so cute and those crispy potatoes!

Watching this episode made me crave potatoes T_T
Feb 13, 2014 12:58 PM

Jan 2008
Hachiken's father is a heartless creature and I really hope, there is a reason, he is like that. If not, he should walk a path of lego blocks.

Tho his mather is even worse, with her tries of 'making things proper' and assuming stuff.

Overall, kinda sad episode, hoping to have more laughs next week.
-
Feb 13, 2014 1:05 PM
Dec 2013
There is no episode next week because of the olympics games. The episode 7 will go out 27th february.
Feb 13, 2014 1:11 PM

Jan 2008
Hachidad!

And Armstrong-sensei winning all the cheese.
Feb 13, 2014 1:34 PM

Mar 2012
Great episode as always.
Feb 13, 2014 1:51 PM

Oct 2011
Another series that made me cry TwT. OMG Hachiken's father should have congratulated him for working hard. Everyone from Ezono appreciated him and thanks to Hachiken, the festival was great and fun. But dat scene with Mikage and Hachken together T_____T.

I still want to see Hachikenaand Mikage date!!!!!
Feb 13, 2014 1:51 PM

Mar 2012
Even though his father is really tough on him, it is no excuse to disrespect his mother like that.
I don't get how he can be so kind and charitable to everyone, but a douche to his own family. My parent have high expectation of me, and my school is also very competitive, but I never blame my parents for my stress and anxiety, and instead fix them on my own.

Hachiken also have very low confidence of himself and feel he is a reject. Is that why he is so desperate to help everyone and get their approval? The way that he work himself to total exhaustion at the cost of his health seems like he is punishing himself for something and feel that his own well being is worthless compare to other.

In the past, Hachiken love studying. What happened? Did the intense competition made him hate studying and ended his pursue for higher education? Without studying, what does he love now? Sure, he does a lot of farm work, but he is doing it for his school and for his friends. There don't seem be any passion for his labors. Is he going to find a new goal and passion in life?

No self confidence, hate his own family, and lost his love for studying, Hachiken need to start working on himself first. There are lot of growth potential in store.
Feb 13, 2014 2:42 PM

Feb 2012
Damn his dad is no joke.
Feb 13, 2014 2:46 PM
Apr 2013
I love this show so much.

While the father does come off as somewhat of a jerk, he isn't probably 100% wrong in what he said. Take away the negativity and it is not much different than what a normal father would really say.

The moment where Hachiken finds the "thank you" and starts crying completely blindsided me and I couldn't help but tear up myself.
MCALFeb 13, 2014 3:01 PM
Feb 13, 2014 3:17 PM

Jul 2009
I half expected the rest of the equestrian club to be hiding outside the door listening in
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Feb 13, 2014 3:19 PM

Aug 2008
No way! They are way too cruel with Nakajima-sensei!!

And poor Hachiken, he got a really strict and horrible father.... =.=
Feb 13, 2014 4:31 PM

Apr 2012
leeo268 said:
Even though his father is really tough on him, it is no excuse to disrespect his mother like that.

You're not the first and won't be the last saying that.
Nevertheless, it was already hinted several times throughout season 1 that Hachiken dislikes his entire family, wheras he might find his brother rather annoying, though. That's why he basically run away from home. You might have to think a bit further to understand all that.
However, it is perfectly valid to "disrespect his mother" considering the environment he had to grow up in. It was even hinted in this very episode.
When Hachiken asked his mother why she lied to him about the bacon, it's even such a tiny thing. She said his father never says anything about food and says so with a smile (remember, Hachiken did the bacon himself that makes this even worse for him). Now consider she's the wife of such a guy who scares pretty much everyone around him. Why is that?
The exact reason why isn't important, but it's important to note that she belittles the fact that the father is such a mean guy and does so in front of Hachiken. She obviously thinks she has to lie to Hachiken to make him feel better because truth is, his father doesn't really care about him, his feelings and thoughts.
He's on his own and his mother's not really on his side or at least Hachiken sees it as that. Hence he "disrespects" her. Even though it's rather a strong dislike towards her, it's not like he's insulting her specifically, he's pushing her away/withdraws from her.

Great episode again. Mikage on his shoulder was cute.
Next one will be funny, I guess.
nantukoFeb 13, 2014 4:35 PM
Feb 13, 2014 5:09 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Hachidad even scared the other guy who was sharing the room with Hachiken at the hospital lol. Poor Hachiken getting super frustrated. I know everyone's hating on Hachidad atm (I did too at some point), but at least he did go to see Hachiken when he fainted, despite having work.

Man tears flowed out when Hachiken cried ;_; the end of this episode was touching and I loved the little lesson we learned with Tokiwa's rejected potatoes.
Feb 13, 2014 5:25 PM

Aug 2011
Much feels..... ;__;

Ship ahoy ~ <3
Feb 13, 2014 5:49 PM

Sep 2013
such feels ;(

hachi's dad is so strict omfg ><
really loved the way things resolved tho

also now i wanna eat potatoes ;__;
Feb 13, 2014 6:01 PM

Jan 2014
like always a good episode.
Is good that Hachiken is all rigth.
Hachiken's dad is a strict person

"Here's our chance! Let's go!"
Feb 13, 2014 6:08 PM

Aug 2011
Hachiken (and his older bro) must've had it tough. Hachidad is that strict dad that instills feelings of inadequacy to his kids. I'm sure he means well by having high expectations, but he's doing more harm than good.

Hope 8ken patch things up with his parents someday.
Feb 13, 2014 6:13 PM

Sep 2012
I liked how Hachiken remembered about the grandmother before he could waste all his money. Ayame, Nakajima-Sensei and the guy who was next to Hachiken in the hospital were a lot of fun in this episode.

Also:

Salvani said:
I really love this show. It has such a wonderful blend of comedic and emotional moments.
Feb 13, 2014 6:24 PM

Jul 2012
Just wait when both Yugo and Akis dads meet (If ever. But if this ship hath sailed already it can't be that impossible.) . I imagine it would become a scene out of hell... then comes grandma Mikage.

I'm a bit sad A-1 cut the part about the "erotically shaped" potatoes though. I had a good laugh in the manga w/ that scene. I remember our gardening class in junior high and my mates and I had the exact same thoughts lol.
swordstriker21Feb 13, 2014 6:44 PM
Feb 13, 2014 6:45 PM

Dec 2012
The build up of negative emotion was totally worth it when Hachiken started reading the notebook comments. Man almost shed a ton of tears on that. Great episode!
Feb 13, 2014 6:48 PM

Dec 2012
Damn, talk about juxtaposition!

This show never fails to amazing me with excellent direction in every episode. It was great to see the cross-cutting between Hachi and his dad (I literally said 'shit just got real' when he came in and I never say that) and the school festival - it showed the contrast and evoked that deeper aspect of the anime.

But his dad, I gotta say: what an ass. Seriously, he seems to go out of his way to belittle and emotionally abuse his son. No wonder Hachiken's brother got out. And his mother seems to be more of a peace-keeping mediator, kinder than I first assumed, but not particularly influential. That's relatively normal, I guess, but doesn't make me dislike them (esp. the dad) any less.

This episode really pulled at my heartstrings, especially seeing Hachiken so emotionally vulnerable. (I have to say Arawaka-sensei is amazing at creating character dimensions this way) A lot of the time his hard work and cheerfulness and the show's humour makes you forget that he really has a lot of insecurities, namely concerning his self-worth and relationship with his father (another thing she's fond of depicting, apparently). The scene at the end when he was overwhelmed by the guestbook comments was really moving, I wanted to hug him :')

And it was great to see the ED got back its upbeat cheeriness after this episode!

(also, can I just say I find Nishikawa calling Hachiken 'Hachii' sooo adorable!)

EDIT:
FleurduMal said:
Why ?! Why are they skipped the part with Hachiken oniichan at the festival and when he comes to the hospital and meet their parents ? That was so good and important in the manga (the whole family confrontation).
Omg no way! It would've been great to see such a scene with family dynamics!! Ohh looks like I really have to start following the manga so I don't miss out...

nantuko said:
leeo268 said:

He's on his own and his mother's not really on his side or at least Hachiken sees it as that. Hence he "disrespects" her. Even though it's rather a strong dislike towards her, it's not like he's insulting her specifically, he's pushing her away/withdraws from her.
To everyone who's condemning his behaviour toward his mum, basically this ^ By no means do I encourage or condone disrespect from children towards parents, but the fact is, I only see that in a 'negative' way when I'm looking at the situation objectively, not when I look at it from Hachiken's perspective. Because then, I sympathise entirely, as I can see the reason for this act although act itself isn't commendable. Because as I said above, I don't see her actively trying to protect or understand her son(s?), but rather just 'trying to get along'.
fullmetalbenderFeb 13, 2014 7:08 PM
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

Feb 13, 2014 7:19 PM

Jul 2010
Aw, Mikage and Hachiken are finally getting closer! ;w;
Also, Hachi's Dad is annoying.No matter what, he should support his son instead of making it even worse.

5 days till ED single is released! cant wait to get my copy *rubs hands*
Feb 13, 2014 7:43 PM

Nov 2007
Potatoes aside, Mikage and Hachiken better end up together! They are so effen cute! <3
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 13, 2014 8:04 PM
Oct 2012
R- said:

Why? And I mean that seriously. She lets his father act the way he does to her kids, and then tries to cover it up, and then she lies to cover up her cover up, and then tries to bribe him (that is what she was doing). Doesn't she have ANY responsibility there?

Nice metaphor for Hachiken and the horse jumping.
Takuan_SohoFeb 13, 2014 8:09 PM
Feb 13, 2014 8:16 PM

Jul 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
R- said:

Why? And I mean that seriously. She lets his father act the way he does to her kids, and then tries to cover it up, and then she lies to cover up her cover up. Doesn't she have ANY responsibility there?

Nice metaphor for Hachiken and the horse jumping.

You have to look at it from a cultural perspective, in Asian countries the head of the family holds absolute power.. in all fairness with a husband who's so hard-headed and proud like that, no matter what she does would have no effect. Both Shingo and Hachiken ran away from home because of their father, Shingo quit Todai just to piss off his father and he still has good relationship with his mother. Hachiken ran away because he couldn't handle competition and seeing how he has always been pressured at home, he never had a good relationship with her mother to begin with. My impression from reading the manga is he never think highly of her and instead devoting his life only to please his father..

If anything her mother is being protective towards Hachiken. She only wants Hachiken to be happy and she knew the only way for that is for her husband to approve of Hachiken, can you blame her for lying (though she's merely assuming)? she's doing her best in a fucked-up household, being the intermediary between her sons and their father (a very common role that most mother in Asian culture has). At the very least you have to give her credit for not being a "tiger mom" like some Asian mothers and still care for Hachiken even though he treated her like shit.
MoeGodFeb 13, 2014 8:21 PM
Feb 13, 2014 8:22 PM

Jan 2011
Hot Tamako is still the best Tamako. It may be shallow but all be damned.

My heart bleeds for Hachiken. He has some serious family issues. Doesn't have a family outlet at all. Father, mother, or really brother although that would be the closest one. I feel for him. Thankfully his school and activities has become the outlet he needed but not enough so to override his actual personal dilemma. Although his Dad is cold, he obviously loves his son and wants what will make him live a good, sustainable life. As the child (Hachiken), it is challenging to accept that point when the presentation is like it is.

And to tag onto other users. I think his Mom is pretty much doing what she can for her kids based on what she has to work with. Hachiken has her as an outlet even if it is to verbally vent but instead puts her in the same ring as his father pretty much. He really has boxed himself out as time as gone on even if he didn't instigate it.
IZEROIIFeb 13, 2014 8:27 PM
Feb 13, 2014 8:27 PM
Oct 2012
jiraiya_sensei said:
You have to look at it from a cultural perspective, in Asian countries the head of the family holds absolute power.. in all fairness with a husband who's so hard-headed and proud like that, no matter what she does would have no effect. Both Shingo and Hachiken ran away from home because of their father, Shingo quit Todai just to piss off his father and he still has good relationship with his mother. Hachiken ran away because he couldn't handle competition and seeing how he has always been pressured at home, he never had a good relationship with her mother to begin with. From what I read in the manga, my impressions is he never think highly of her and only strive to please his father..

If anything her mother is being protective towards Hachiken. She only wants Hachiken to be happy and she knew the only way for that is for her husband to approve of Hachiken, can you blame her for lying? she's doing her best in a fucked-up household, being the intermediary between her sons and their father (a very common role that most mother in Asian culture has). At the very least you have to give her credit for not being a "tiger mom" and still care for Hachiken even though he treated her like shit.

Are you Asian? Because I think you are underestimating the power Japanese women have (in fairness I am not, I am only speaking of my experience being married to one (and I will freely confess that they are well respected in their community for being particularly strong)). Now granted if Hachiken's father was abusive I think you would have a point, but there is no indication of that in either the animation and the manga, so that excuse is a little thin.

Also, on the lying. False praise is more insulting than insulting honesty, but even then I can accept the first lie, however her trying to evade responsibility after being exposed has no excuse.

This isn't an A or Z situation, she doesn't have to be completely passive or completely a "tiger mom", and she doesn't have to confront the father, but there is a range of possibilities in between.

Also, remember we are only at episode 6, so no spoilers (unless tagged), I am only speaking as to what we have seen in the animation up until now.
Feb 13, 2014 8:28 PM

Apr 2010
I never get tired of that ED.

Rock solid episode again. I was hoping Hachiken's dad would be a little bit understanding, given him a hug/pat on the shoulder or have written him something in the notebook but nope.

Mikage looks like she's getting a lot more comfortable with Hachiken.

Feb 13, 2014 8:51 PM

Dec 2012
jiraiya_sensei said:
If anything her mother is being protective towards Hachiken. She only wants Hachiken to be happy and she knew the only way for that is for her husband to approve of Hachiken, can you blame her for lying (though she's merely assuming)? she's doing her best in a fucked-up household, being the intermediary between her sons and their father (a very common role that most mother in Asian culture has). At the very least you have to give her credit for not being a "tiger mom" like some Asian mothers and still care for Hachiken even though he treated her like shit.
IZEROII said:
And to tag onto other users. I think his Mom is pretty much doing what she can for her kids based on what she has to work with. Hachiken has her as an outlet even if it is to verbally vent but instead puts her in the same ring as his father pretty much. He really has boxed himself out as time as gone on even if he didn't instigate it.
I think mothers, even in that Asian culture, have a lot more influence than you're giving them credit for. Aside from what I know of my Asian friends' parents, I've also watched enough anime to have a solid idea of the average Japanese home life and how each of parents can use their role. Do you see how the pressure and treatment from his parents (read: father) actually affected him? He could very well be suffering or has suffered from a diagnosable mental problem - namely anxiety and/or depression - so his stance against his parents is a little justified, I think. It may not be fair of him to treat his mum that way, but as someone who's experienced such a restrictive life she's an involved party who serves as an outlet of his pent up frustration/hurt/anger.

Ultimately, if you take a step back and look at the whole situation, none of the 4 family members are cooperating with each other (Shingo's easygoingness and attempt to keep a good relationship with his mum and brother may be commendable but in the end solves nothing). All of them needs works, but seeing 2 of them (possibly 3, counting Shingo) are adults and the parents, they should take the initiative to solve it, by meeting halfway. From an audience's point of view, I don't mind this hecked-up relationship, because it's realistic, but if anyone's going to take the issues seriously and start assigning blame without much consideration, then a little bit more thought and empathy needs to be spent.
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

Feb 13, 2014 9:06 PM

Jul 2012
Hachiken's dad is an ass. Sucks that Hachiken took out his frustration on his mom though. Seems like Mikage is starting to like Hachiken. Pretty emotional episode. Best yet!
Feb 13, 2014 9:08 PM

Dec 2012
Poor Hachiken, he must be really frustrated. His dad was very harsh, but he was cool in a way. Mikage and Hachi are getting closer, love that. The second half of the season always heats up and becomes amazing. :)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Just found this hidden gem

Ferrykr - Dec 16, 2023

9 by thischeetobussin »»
Apr 1, 6:57 PM

Poll: » Gin no Saji 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

161 by Xzpyth »»
Jan 17, 8:01 PM

Poll: » Gin no Saji 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2014

99 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 25, 2023 11:12 PM

Poll: » Gin no Saji 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2014

87 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 25, 2023 10:42 PM

Poll: » Gin no Saji 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2014

91 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 25, 2023 1:54 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.