Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Sep 12, 2013 8:12 PM

Sep 2011
Not gonna lie, I was getting a bit frustrated with that music and all that biching.
Sep 22, 2013 4:11 AM

Apr 2013
Asuka needs to chill out :S
Oct 16, 2013 4:48 PM
Jul 2018
Poor Asuka (as MANY others have said)
Also, that elevator scene lasted for 50 seconds too long XD
Oct 18, 2013 7:44 AM

Aug 2012
I don't think people understand what PMS means. It's PREmenstrual syndrome, but Asuka was on her second day so it already started. I imagine it must be really uncomfortable to be on your period and have to wear a plugsuit, maybe for many hours lol
Nov 22, 2013 6:56 PM

Jan 2013
That annoying opera OST ruined the fucking moment so much wtf were they thinking putting that shitty OST in there?
Dec 17, 2013 10:00 AM

Dec 2012
God, Asuka acts like a fucking 14 year old.

wait
Dec 23, 2013 7:11 PM

Aug 2007
The Hallelujah Chorus was suppose to be jarring and slightly out of place. Asuka was going through a blinding breakdown and reliving her most painful memories.
With the topics of angels, the meaning of life, wanting to be god, adam/"eva" and that like, it actually fits perfectly.

Feb 18, 2014 11:40 PM

Aug 2013
That Hallelujah music...that was so weird lol. Asuka got mind-raped :(
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 26, 2014 5:51 AM

Oct 2013
mannnn definition of little whiny bitch.

but its some good char devel ; D

aixelsyd said:
Asuka and Rei can go a long time without blinking... >.>

hahah best

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
KuniiAug 24, 2020 1:34 AM
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
May 12, 2014 10:58 AM
Oct 2011
This episode has some interesting character development for Asuka. We learn that her mom went insane when Asuka was young and started treating a doll like it was her real daughter, and later committed suicide “taking” the doll with her. Because of this Asuka looked for praise anywhere she could get it. As a result it hit her really hard when Shinji outshined her two episodes ago. Combined with the double whammy of being forced to relive her past and being saved by Rei she has now had a mental breakdown and becomes unable to pilot her Eva.

On another note the reason somcenes like the elevator scene were so long was that at this time in production they were running out of money, so they decided to save money where they could in order to have have money when they needed it, like for action scenes.
Jun 8, 2014 7:09 AM

Aug 2013
So that elevator scene...even i was feeling awkward.

Poor Asuka.
My Candies:
Jun 25, 2014 7:54 PM

Jun 2013
This episode was trippy on so many levels lol. I watched the On-Air version first then the Director's Cut. The Director's Cut had more scenes added, and boy were they disturbing as hell. All that flashing on the screen is enough to give somebody a seizure. Asuka on her period, well it's disturbing to say the least! She has been through a difficult life so it's understandable. That Hallelujah music caught me off guard lol. Good episode.
Jul 1, 2014 10:08 AM

Aug 2013
Dusk252 said:

Also, whenever they mention the Second Impact and the chance of a Third Impact happening, I always think that there had to be a "First Impact" as well. Why would they call it "Second Impact" if there hadn't been a first?

The first impact in this series is ascribed to when a meteor hit the earth, thus killing the dinosaurs and beginning the evolution of the human race.

Oh Asuka, if you'd only quite being a tsundere and dealt with your feelings this might not have happened. But, seeing as this is NGE, it probably would have happened anyway.

Her backstory is pretty interesting, and her mother is pretty interesting. I loved the use of Handel's Messiah during this scene, it just fits so well if you understand the references and what effect it's being use to.
Jul 27, 2014 8:13 PM

Jul 2014
Asuka is so annoying. Even with this episode I couldn't sympathize with her. In fact i rather like that she was getting fucked up.... maybe if she wasn't such a pompous bitch i might of cared
Aug 7, 2014 5:04 PM
Aug 28, 2014 9:17 PM
Nov 2013
Wow a lot of you guys are being rather hard on Asuka...yes, she is a bit on the whiney, bitchy side.....but when you take into account the past she had and all the trials she has had to deal with is it really that incomprehensible?

Many people that have had to deal with stuff like that have annoying quirks...I feel really sorry for her. She is probably my favorite character followed closely by Rei who I am sure has many of her own issues being that she seems quite aware of her existence as a clone and being "replaceable".

Edit: Actually now as I think about it, it really is quite amazing that Asuka, Rei, Shinji, and Misato are as normal as they are and not completely cuckoo for cocoa puffs give their respective pasts......
KintaroOeAug 28, 2014 9:26 PM
Sep 19, 2014 4:53 PM

Mar 2013
Oh man, I really loved this episode.
Finally, some more development for Asuka.

But the most important part was the scenes that included ADAM and the Lance of Longinus. I'm pretty sure I missed a couple of details about the Lance of Longinus. What is it made out of and why aren't the EVA units equipped with them? But it looks like that spear-like weapon stuns the development of ADAM. Ikari, you mad man, that was such a gamble.

I wonder what will happen with Adam now, it looks like he can easily leave.
Dec 5, 2014 10:03 PM

Sep 2014
First time watching the director's cut version, holy crap. That MINDRAPE was INSANE! The long "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" followed by flashes of kanji was terrifying.
Dec 9, 2014 1:45 PM

Nov 2013
I genuinely thought my video file was corrupted or something for a moment during the elevator scene lol. It went on forever.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 27, 2014 5:24 PM

Apr 2014
Just wondering.... why didn't they try to force eject the entry plug.

Or did they?
Dec 27, 2014 5:41 PM
Oct 2011
LOAD said:

Or did they?
They did.
Dec 27, 2014 6:12 PM

Apr 2014
When?
When Misato told Asuka to come back? But I thought it could still be ejected by force without the pilot's approval or anything. Like that test with Rei piloting Unit 00 (and Gendo burnt his hand). Or was the mental contamination rejecting the code? They never said anything about it though...
Jan 5, 2015 1:27 PM

Jan 2013
I can't handle this psychology..
Jan 11, 2015 12:20 PM

Dec 2012
Really nice episode, another mystery added. But it´s a shame that bitch didn´t die, I really hate her.
Feb 14, 2015 10:13 AM
Dec 2013
pretty bad episode except for the longinus ending that was interesting
Asuka is fucking annoying such a immature brat

also terrible terrible german WTF
someone bitch slap her to death LOL
FuckMAl4132Feb 14, 2015 10:38 AM
Mar 5, 2015 3:26 PM

Nov 2012
Souryuu has lost her mind. And man was that Hallelujah song unfitting.
Apr 12, 2015 6:37 PM

Apr 2014
LOAD said:
the same questions remains.

lol @ people saying the background music was unfitting
It is, but I love how it's so situationally ironic. It aligns with the angel's attacks of bathing the eva in light. that whole image I thought was like enlightenment (usually associated with the mind), but really it's the opposite- mental contamination.
cool stuff.
Apr 26, 2015 7:02 AM

Feb 2015
Dat German and the Hallelujah xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2015 10:32 AM
Nov 2014
Asuka getting mind raped was nice to see, that hellelujah was random as fuck and scared the living crap out of me LOL.

Good episode overall, minus the epilepsy attack I received from watching it.
May 8, 2015 11:53 PM
May 2015
boring ep
May 20, 2015 9:20 AM
Jun 2014
Pretty deep ep and we get to know a lot about asuka's past.
I have the images of the mental breakdown from 21:45 to 21:49 (47 pics in only 4 seconds!) but it's too much work to post all of them here x3 so if anyone wants them (probably no one tho...) contact me and stuff^^
Jun 1, 2015 7:05 AM

Jan 2013
Vexper said:
I genuinely thought my video file was corrupted or something for a moment during the elevator scene lol. It went on forever.

Yeah they have a habit of putting still frames in the show ^^

Anyway, Asuka is mentally being destroyed by the angel, thinking of her deepest thoughts - on top of that, she's on her period.
She went through a lot during her childhood.

Lance of Longinus is freed from Lillith and thrown into space after destroying the angel.
Misato is questioning what really made the Second Impact happen.
Jun 26, 2015 7:58 PM

Sep 2014
Asuka Falls. ep 22.

Plot-It's a horrible time to be Asuka. Body problems. COnfidence problems. And finally mind rape by the latest Angel Arael.

Character-All about Asuka. Her past. Her problems. And even her future are laid bare. This brings her character from ep 8 till now all together and it is not a pretty picture. The mind rape was the worst thing to happen to her on this day, her period, and the added stress of not being a pilot of Unit 2, the sole reason for her existence, equals the meltdown to come.

5/5. A mental and dramatic showing of the fall of one Eva's best characters.

PS: a new truth has been revealed. What caused 2nd impact? If not for the LoL coming into contact with an Eva then what would spell the Bad End for humanity?

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jul 5, 2015 2:52 PM

Dec 2011
Mindrape scene was really disturbing... And reveals why Asuka's so aggressive and competitive, and why she tries so hard to be independent, to be an adult. To cope for her past and hide her insecurities.
Jul 11, 2015 12:09 PM

Dec 2009
These last few episodes feel like a garbled mess. I coulda sworn Shinji was wiped out from the merge incident with the Eva but now he's like nothing happened. Feels rushed.
Such junk...
Jul 12, 2015 10:53 AM

Jan 2014
dextronaut said:
there's an important lesson to be learned in this episode: Females, don't pilot Evangelion mech when on your period.
lol seemed like a direct consequence that whole episode because Asuka was pms'ing, hard.

Also, wtf at the "hallelujah" background music? gotta say, it felt totally out of place. Now Im just realizing the Christianity reference though.

oh yeah, that was literally the longest silence elevator scene, ever. I kept having to check if I accidentally paused it.
yeah, here's pretty much everything I wanted to mention XD
Asuka had a really disturbing past, but that was expected, she's not much different from Shinji and Rei.
Aug 13, 2015 5:53 AM

Jun 2011
BruceLad said:
Asuka getting mind raped was nice to see, that hellelujah was random as fuck and scared the living crap out of me LOL.

Good episode overall, minus the epilepsy attack I received from watching it.

It is not that scary.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Sep 6, 2015 12:19 PM
Dec 2014
Why does this cunt have over 8000 favourites
Nov 5, 2015 10:20 PM

Apr 2014
Mein Gott. This episode was incredibly intense and it was interesting to see Asuka's past. The use of the Hallelujah Chorus was excellent and really dialed up the severity and eeriness of the psychological attack due to the dissonance. Even though I already saw that her personality was merely a facade to hide her insecurities and hopelessness many episodes back, I still had difficulty liking her then and I still have difficulty now despite finally seeing the exact reasons behind her personality.
Nov 22, 2015 9:32 AM

Feb 2013
Jesus, Asuka got really messed up by that Angel. Although, it seems she was already pretty messed up to begin with...

It was nice to finally get some backstory on her though, as fucked up as it was. I can't help but feel sorry for her.
Shape430Nov 22, 2015 9:41 AM
Dec 6, 2015 2:08 PM

Nov 2012
Mind rape,the hallelujah chorus sure added to the eeriness of it.

Asuka's facade broken,Eva pilot can't be mentally stable so knew something was up with her.

"What are you doing there?! You won't do anything! You won't help me! You won't even hold me!" Asuka has feelings for Shinji and Shinji is too dense to notice.
Dec 7, 2015 9:15 AM

Oct 2012
I don't really know if Asuka has romantic feelings for Shinji per say. But she definitely wants somebody to notice her and be there for her, even if she can't say it.
Her mother's rejection, Kaji's rejection, and her own rejection of herself were finally shed to light in this episode.
Also I noticed how she was on her period too. There was a definite contrast to when Kaji said she wasn't old enough, and Asuka trying to prove she was old enough, yet then we hear her in the bathroom saying "Why do I have to go through this? I don't even want children".
This episode is really full of that childhood/adulthood dynamic
Dec 23, 2015 9:21 AM

Jul 2013
Asuka has no chill, i guess it's because of her past, her mentally ill mother who wanted to kill herself, her father having great sex with another woman, so nobody gave a flying fuck about Asuka anymore.

But still she has no chill, wanting everyone to treat her like a princess, when they don't she would be pissed off and hating on everyone, and even then hating herself for being a bitch, well characters are broken as it is, why not more, that what makes this series so good
Jan 1, 2016 6:12 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

5/5
This episode is why Asuka is so adored by her fans. <3

Plus, elevator scene.

About it being "that time of the month"... at best, this kind of thing would be used as a joke in most anime. Here, it's used in such a way that it just adds to the devastation experienced by Asuka.

This is the stuff that makes this anime 10/10 and the 3rd best I have ever seen.
Jan 29, 2016 11:45 AM

Jul 2013
Great episode. I loved the psychology of it all.
Perfect choice of music for the mind raping. Good to see some Asuka backstory too.
Feb 8, 2016 6:34 PM

Aug 2014
Asuka has gone mad , she was a bit annoying in this episode .
Good Episode .
Feb 10, 2016 11:18 AM

Jun 2015
I want to strangle that bitch Asuka
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Feb 11, 2016 12:24 PM

Jun 2014
When Asuka said "Why do I have to go through this? I don't even want children" I instantly fell in love with her. lol
Apr 8, 2016 3:37 AM

Sep 2015
What? What?! WHY IS THE EPISODE PREVIEW TELLING ME THAT REI DIES?! WHAT KIND OF PREVIEW DOES THAT?! REI, MY FAVORITE CHARACTER OF THIS ANIME, IS GOING TO DIE NEXT EPISODE AND THE GODDAMNED EPISODE PREVIEW WON'T EVEN LET ME BE SHOCKED AND HORRIFIED! INSTEAD, I'M JUST GOING TO BE DREADING IT ALL NEXT EPISODE! GODDAMMIT! FUCK EVERYTHING!
Apr 20, 2016 6:58 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Idk why but at the first seconds of the hallelujah scene i lol'd
But after that well ... damn.
that was something.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Yesterday, 9:46 AM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
Yesterday, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.