Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 25, 2009 1:56 PM

Oct 2007
Yeah, it'd feel way too weird if it actually stayed the course.

And the sad part is, I mean that.
You can find me on IRC.
May 25, 2009 1:59 PM

Feb 2008
Kuyukly said:
Yeah, it'd feel way too weird if it actually stayed the course.

And the sad part is, I mean that.
It'd also be way boring, everyone saying "Yay, another DVD for me to buy!"
May 25, 2009 2:05 PM

Aug 2007
Well I've been on MAL for almost 2 years now and I don't really browse the news boards that much :/

I'm not surprised though, people really like to argue over petty things like subs over dubs and licensing >_> but I digress. It's actually pretty fun looking at these boards.
May 25, 2009 2:20 PM

Oct 2007
Renza said:
Well I've been on MAL for almost 2 years now and I don't really browse the news boards that much :/

I'm not surprised though, people really like to argue over petty things like subs over dubs and licensing >_> but I digress. It's actually pretty fun looking at these boards.

I prefer arguing about subs vs dubs over serious stuff. I hate being too serious.
You can find me on IRC.
May 25, 2009 3:20 PM

Oct 2008
I think some people need to learn about editing done to anime and Greg Ayres helps me out. Also, my good friend Wikipedia chimes in as well:
Wikipedia said:
The original creators of the anime that have been edited are usually not directly notified of the editing. It is up to the studios/copyright owners of anime as to whether or not to allow editing in their anime, and the ample number of anime edited for the United States would seem to indicate that the studios/copyright owners normally do not object. However, in some instances Japanese studios have refused to allow their work to be censored as a precondition of signing a U.S. release contracts.

After the Miyazaki/Nausicaa debacle a few years back, American anime companies learned a thing or two.

Kuyukly said:
I prefer arguing about subs vs dubs over serious stuff. I hate being too serious.

I agree with this for most of the versus issues as long as they don't turn into an all out flame war and then it's just people calling each other names and sounding like a bunch of 5 year old sailors. A versus thread can be really good and semi-intelligent, but all it takes is one troll, or drunken samurai, to mess all that up.
May 25, 2009 4:21 PM

Apr 2008
Kuyukly said:
Renza said:

yes yes i agree, its best to argue about the little stuff so no worries to offend people much .. :-D

MackDaddyHart said:

I agree with this for most of the versus issues as long as they don't turn into an all out flame war and then it's just people calling each other names and sounding like a bunch of 5 year old sailors. A versus thread can be really good and semi-intelligent, but all it takes is one troll, or drunken samurai, to mess all that up.

every agrument that holds no ground trys to belittle the other person, i do like the metaphore of a 5 year old sailor though which holds to both sides haha but people take things to seriously earlier i said i was worried quality of voice actors for series and people took it as a troll ...

I bet they are goign to bout horo in a nun outfit and give her a proper english accent =p
LvhinaMay 25, 2009 4:28 PM
May 25, 2009 7:10 PM

Oct 2007
not terribly happy due to s2 starting up, but i am glad to see funi grabbing something i would buy for a change
May 25, 2009 7:59 PM

Jul 2007
Good work funi.
May 30, 2009 3:47 PM

Aug 2008
Kuyukly said:
Antanaru said:
Go to hell shitimation bastards, hands of this series!

Wow, pointless rage much? FUNimation are fine.

Imagine if 4kids got ahold of it instead.
Frankly? Same sh*t. Once while watching some series I was wondering what group would release such lame crap. But everything was clear after ending credits: "english version by funimation". Butchering already bad series like Naruto etc. is all they're good for.

Capellabun said:
I've only watched a few episodes of Spice and Wolf and didn't find the voice acting to be anything more then most anime so when I watch it I probably won't be comparing it to the Japanese track.
Then you pretty much haven't seen it at all. Voice acting (especially Koshimizu Ami) is really good there. With different voices it's no loner same series. In most cases I wonder if it's even anime anymore.
Ii tenki desu ne...
May 30, 2009 5:22 PM
Oct 2008
Capellabun said:
I've only watched a few episodes of Spice and Wolf and didn't find the voice acting to be anything more then most anime so when I watch it I probably won't be comparing it to the Japanese track.
Then you pretty much haven't seen it at all. Voice acting (especially Koshimizu Ami) is really good there. With different voices it's no loner same series. In most cases I wonder if it's even anime anymore.

When I say "anything more than most anime" I don't mean that the voice acting wasn't good or that it was bad in anyway just wasn't anything that really stuck out to me. If it was great to you, that's fine but again I only watched the first few episodes, maybe whenever I get around to finishing it my impression will be different. I never judge the overall voice acting for a series by the first few episodes.

Honestly though, unless I'm really attached to the Japanese voices for a certain series or I felt the performances of the Japanese actors were great, if the dub is well done it doesn't bother me.

Also, Funimation doesn't have the license to Naruto that is Viz.
May 30, 2009 5:45 PM

Feb 2008
Most of Spice & Wolf's appeal, at least to me, was Koshimizu Ami's voice acting. She speaks in some kind of arcane Japanese dialect or some shit and it's beautiful. The dub won't match it, not a chance in hell. You can call me a subfag if you want but it's just not possible to dub this anime properly.

Edit: Stupid quotes... fuck it.
kuroshiroiMay 30, 2009 5:53 PM
May 30, 2009 6:39 PM
Oct 2008
kuroshiroi said:
Most of Spice & Wolf's appeal, at least to me, was Koshimizu Ami's voice acting. She speaks in some kind of arcane Japanese dialect or some shit and it's beautiful. The dub won't match it, not a chance in hell. You can call me a subfag if you want but it's just not possible to dub this anime properly.

Edit: Stupid quotes... fuck it.

Well in all honesty, I'm not very good at hearing the differences in dialect unless it's incredibly distinct. I just listened to some of Horo's lines and I can sort of hear it but barely. Same thing with her roles in Eureka 7 and Code Geass, I can hardly hear it but again it's hard for me to tell. That's not saying she isn't a good voice actor, she is a very good voice actor I just can't say her voice acting in the first 2 episodes I watched stuck out to me. It probably will as I get farther in.
May 30, 2009 7:18 PM

Oct 2007
Antanaru said:
Kuyukly said:
Antanaru said:
Go to hell shitimation bastards, hands of this series!

Wow, pointless rage much? FUNimation are fine.

Imagine if 4kids got ahold of it instead.
Frankly? Same sh*t. Once while watching some series I was wondering what group would release such lame crap. But everything was clear after ending credits: "english version by funimation". Butchering already bad series like Naruto etc. is all they're good for.

AH

AHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

You have no idea what you're talking about, bro. Go do a little research before you try to act like you're all smart n' shit.
KuyuMay 30, 2009 7:35 PM
You can find me on IRC.
May 30, 2009 7:55 PM

Nov 2007
IT'S ABOUT TIME.

I will likely pick it up as soon as I can, despite FUNimation's rather shoddy packaging for most of their half sets/Complete Collections as of late. After suggesting it to my anime club and then actually watching it through, I determined the show to be worth buying. Plus the light novels are coming out in a few months, too!

& I'll judge Horo/Holo's voice when I hear it. Sure Ami Koshimizu's acting made Holo lovable, but it's not like other renditions of her in other languages can't be better. It's all a matter of opinion, anyways.
May 30, 2009 8:13 PM

Dec 2007
They are going to cast Kate Higgins as Horo.
You know it.
You fear it.
D<
May 30, 2009 8:20 PM
Oct 2008
VioletRebellion said:
They are going to cast Kate Higgins as Horo.
You know it.
You fear it.
D<

As far as I know, Kate Higgins doesn't do voice acting work for Funimation.
Jun 3, 2009 3:40 AM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
Just got done reading this whole thread i really only have one question and that is:

BigSimo said:
Oh, and when I say all this I'm referring to the possibility that the second season will be licensed before it airs, or as its airing.

^ Why in the FUCK dose that matter?
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Jun 3, 2009 3:56 AM

Nov 2007
tesiga2003 said:
Just got done reading this whole thread i really only have one question and that is:

BigSimo said:
Oh, and when I say all this I'm referring to the possibility that the second season will be licensed before it airs, or as its airing.

^ Why in the FUCK dose that matter?

It's nice if they wait until the show has been completely aired. Most licensing studios used to let fansubbers finish the TV runs, but with the C&Ds some (particularly Funi) have sent out the past few years, most fansubbers just ignore licenses all the more. No reason to respect them.
Jun 3, 2009 7:19 AM

Oct 2007
You say that like fansubbers respected licenses to begin with...lol.
You can find me on IRC.
Jun 3, 2009 10:42 AM

Oct 2008
Kuyukly said:

I was thinking that same thing.
Jun 3, 2009 10:59 AM

Jul 2007
MackDaddyHart said:
Kuyukly said:

I was thinking that same thing.

Hey now, they did!

In the 80s.

oh, these little earthquakes
Jun 9, 2009 3:04 AM
Mar 2009
W00t!

Heres hoping that they do a good job dubbing it!

Caitlin Glass would be cool to see as one character or another but as much as I love her I don't think she fits horo...
Jun 9, 2009 3:16 AM

Nov 2007
Anomalous said:
Hey now, they did!

In the 80s.

More like til the mid 00s. It wasn't until 05-06 that all these anon and various trollish type groups showed up. Torrents for distro, DTV raws and easier encoding and typesetting with tools like aegisub and megui caused a boom in fansubbing groups that overwhelmed the groups with ethics.

Pretty much all the major groups used to respect licenses, as did the majority of lesser ones. It was pretty much game over for a series if a license was announced. I know. I was there fansubbing through it all.
Jul 29, 2009 8:36 AM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
Wellp the VA's are listed:

http://www.funimation.com/spiceandwolf/

Jul 29, 2009 9:06 AM

Oct 2007
I don't know those names...

I hope they're good. :)

Edit:
Site said:
Her name is Holo

Looks like it's been chosen. Cue backlash, irrational hate, and hyperbole.
KuyuJul 29, 2009 9:10 AM
You can find me on IRC.
Jul 30, 2009 6:05 AM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
The Lady that did Holo is the one that did Mikoto in School Rumble. I'm not really liking what i'm seeing. :(. But Funimation normally dose a good job, so heres hopping.
Tracer_SenpaiJul 30, 2009 3:34 PM

Dec 3, 2009 7:37 PM

Aug 2009
Funimation put the first 3 dubbed episodes up on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/FUNimation
Dec 3, 2009 11:26 PM

Sep 2008
Kuyukly said:
I don't know those names...

I hope they're good. :)

Edit:
Site said:
Her name is Holo

Looks like it's been chosen. Cue backlash, irrational hate, and hyperbole.

People are still think her name isn't Holo? She wrote it down on a marriage license in season 2 for Christ sakes.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Dec 6, 2009 6:32 PM

Jun 2008
I must say, +1 for Kuyukly. It's nice to know there are intelligent, unbiased anime fans out there when it comes to English dubbing vs subbing. You have my respect. EDIT: Capellabun as well.

I haven't seen Spice and Wolf and I only know Brina Palencia's (English Holo) voice from one part (Honoka in Suzuka), but from what I'm hearing and seeing of Holo and from how Palencia did Honoka, I'm thinking she'll do a good job. Other than that, most of the cast is names I've heard but that I'm not really familiar with. I plan to watch it when the episodes are available somewhere on the internet.
FloreteDec 6, 2009 6:36 PM
Dec 6, 2009 10:01 PM

Sep 2008
I find it kinda funny the people bitching about the Dub, probably never or hardly watch dubs or will ever buy the DVD release, even if they will probably just watch Japanese audio.

It's like people who bitch about the president and didn't even vote.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Dec 24, 2009 2:51 PM
Mar 2009
I'll probably buy the new dvd just so I can have a legit copy (burned discs just aren't that cool lol) But I will definitely be listening to it in Japenese with Subs. I typically watch dubbed anime but I watched Spice and Wolf first in japanese so the english voices just sound ridiculous to me. And I'm used to Horo, not Holo so that's a problem as well.
Dec 29, 2009 7:00 AM
Aug 2009
once they license it, i can not watch the sub version anymore. fuck funimation, they ruin anime and don't even give the people an alternative.
Dec 29, 2009 7:14 AM

Aug 2007
yoshib said:
once they license it, i can not watch the sub version anymore. fuck funimation, they ruin anime and don't even give the people an alternative.

Um, this was licenced at the beginning of this year. Technically you shouldn't be watching season 1 ^^"

Dec 29, 2009 11:15 AM

Jun 2008
yoshib said:

Cry harder, you had plenty of time to grab it before they licensed it. Plus, it's not like it'll be gone from everywhere, you'll still be able to find it somewhere on the internet. That I can guarantee.

As for ruining anime, Funimation does nothing of the sort. And they do give people an alternative (all DVD's these days are released dual audio) so I don't know wtf you're crying about with that.
Dec 29, 2009 6:07 PM

Apr 2009
I've never seen spice and wolf, but I'm sure funimation will ruin it....
Dec 29, 2009 6:32 PM

Jun 2008
Seannn said:

They didn't. I saw it. I know.
Jan 14, 2010 9:26 AM

Oct 2009
the dub is good you guys need to stop bitching
Jan 14, 2010 9:41 AM
Aug 2007
Seannn said:

Actually, they did a pretty good job. And the dub is decent. I kinda ♥ Horo's English voice actress, very haughty and precise.
Jan 14, 2010 11:53 AM

Aug 2007
Jigero said:
I find it kinda funny the people bitching about the Dub, probably never or hardly watch dubs or will ever buy the DVD release, even if they will probably just watch Japanese audio.
It's like people who bitch about the president and didn't even vote.

I don't know about others but that's not the case with me. I spend 4-5 hundred dollars a year on anime and try to avoid dubbed products.
Jan 15, 2010 8:10 PM

Jun 2009
I just watched the funimation dub and I got to say that I am fairly impressed. True I never seen the subbed version of spice and wolf, however I feel the voices suited the characters perfectly. Especially Holo.

I still think that whatever version you watch first will be the version you prefer but I got to say that Dub voice actors are judged harder than Sub voice actors. After all for a sub voice actor to be good they just need to have a voice that does not sound like nails on a chalkboard. They could be saying the lines incorrectly or not expressing emotion right and we wouldn't know the difference. I don't think it's fair to compare English and Japanese dubs unless you can understand both languages.

So to put it simply, I thought the spice and wolf dub was brilliant and please don't say it's crap compared to the sub unless you know Japanese.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Jan 16, 2010 3:58 AM

May 2008
AidanAK47 said:
don't say it's crap compared to the sub unless you know Japanese.

Ahahahahahahaha, no.

Extra information added so that my post doesn't get removed.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jan 16, 2010 5:35 AM

May 2009
ukonkivi said:
AidanAK47 said:

Ahahahahahahaha, no.

No someone doesn't need to be able to understand a language to be able to judge if they like the sound in the dub or original better, but by not understanding the language you are unable to judge on anything other than just how pleasant someones voice is, not how they pronounce things, epmhasis on certain words or the way their sentences are timed (as in short breaks between what words, words said slowly or quickly etc.). So judgements over voice acting being good or not are a lot harder to make if you do not know the language, saying "compared to the sub..." or "compared to the original...." really is an unfair comparison.

edit: i should probably actually say something about the main topic.........cool.
Dark_PuddlesJan 17, 2010 12:26 AM
Jan 16, 2010 7:29 AM

Oct 2009
lets just all agree that the dub is superior to staring at the bottom of the screen the whole time to understand what the people are saying
Jan 16, 2010 8:25 AM

Jun 2009
Dark_Puddles said:
ukonkivi said:
AidanAK47 said:

Ahahahahahahaha, no.

No someone doesn't need to be able to understand a language to be able to judge if they like the sound better in the dub or original better, but by not understanding the language you are unable to judge on anything other than just how pleasant someones voice is, not how they pronounce things, epmhasis on certain words or the way their sentences are timed (as in short breaks between what words, words said slowly or quickly etc.). So judgements over voice acting being good or not are a lot harder to make if you do not know the language, saying "compared to the sub..." or "compared to the original...." really is an unfair comparison.

edit: i should probably actually say something about the main topic.........cool.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks Dark Puddles.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Jan 17, 2010 2:15 AM

Oct 2009
Dark_Puddles said:
ukonkivi said:
AidanAK47 said:

Ahahahahahahaha, no.

No someone doesn't need to be able to understand a language to be able to judge if they like the sound in the dub or original better, but by not understanding the language you are unable to judge on anything other than just how pleasant someones voice is, not how they pronounce things, epmhasis on certain words or the way their sentences are timed (as in short breaks between what words, words said slowly or quickly etc.). So judgements over voice acting being good or not are a lot harder to make if you do not know the language, saying "compared to the sub..." or "compared to the original...." really is an unfair comparison.

You're right! Specially if you have fallen in love with the voice actress and her acting skill. It's just love man!

Feb 28, 2010 9:14 PM

Feb 2010
I would love to watch the third season of spice and wolf.I hope the third season should be created earlier.
Hiya, I'm a big fan of Wolf's rain and Spice and wolf, plus the Kyou Kara Maou! Series

I can't wait to see the 3rd season of Spice and wolf, I am so excited. I wish Studio Deen made more Episodes of KYOU KARA MAOU! and Kyou Kara Maou! R

Mar 3, 2010 2:56 AM

Mar 2008
the dub was awesome, I hope they dub season 2.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Mar 3, 2010 4:02 PM

Feb 2010
I haven't seen the dub of season 1 , at all.
Hiya, I'm a big fan of Wolf's rain and Spice and wolf, plus the Kyou Kara Maou! Series

I can't wait to see the 3rd season of Spice and wolf, I am so excited. I wish Studio Deen made more Episodes of KYOU KARA MAOU! and Kyou Kara Maou! R

Mar 19, 2010 5:41 PM

Jan 2009
I've watched bit of it dubbed, and it was great!
Mar 20, 2010 8:00 PM

Mar 2008
WolfTsumeClaw568 said:
I haven't seen the dub of season 1 , at all.

You should totally watch it, it's an awesome dub.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 3 hours ago

6 by Sleabedybarb »»
19 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by Kushna »»
3 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
7 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.