Forum Settings
Forums

Warner Acquires Live Action Film Rights of Death Note

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 1, 2009 12:59 PM

Nov 2008
Seriously, why? And why only from the first THREE volumes?
May 1, 2009 1:09 PM

Mar 2008
I can't see this coming out well but being a fan of the series I can only hope they don't completely butcher it.
May 1, 2009 1:31 PM

Mar 2009
gat gat gat gat gat
May 1, 2009 2:00 PM

Jun 2008
OH FUCK.

Zac Efron for Kira plz! XD
May 1, 2009 2:04 PM

Apr 2008
I LOVE MY COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!1
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 1, 2009 2:09 PM

Sep 2008
*yawn*
DN won't be good with american/british actors.. Fail..

WB should just stick to there normal books/novels liike harry potter.

*says hi to the "kiddified" Kira and L*
x

>Inviting people to Lockerz, Pm if you want in<
May 1, 2009 3:52 PM
Jul 2018
...I don't like where this is going. I'm quite apathetic to the idea of an American remake, but why would they only base it off the first three volumes? There better be more movies after the first one.

My biggest issue will be casting. Especially for L. That could easily make or break this movie.
removed-userMay 1, 2009 3:57 PM
May 1, 2009 4:05 PM

Nov 2008
Yasha_Hikari said:
My biggest issue will be casting. Especially for L. That could easily break this movie.
Fixed.

Not too excited to hear this. America has to seriously stop making live action movies of anime series.
May 1, 2009 4:09 PM

Sep 2007
The Japanese films are a sign of how Death Note translated into live action. It worked for them and in general doesn't seem like a difficult job really, compared to most shounen series focusing on action.

The US version, I'm wary but as long as they choose the right casting and leave things the way it is, I'll look forward to it. The odds of that is, well low IMO.
May 1, 2009 4:09 PM

Oct 2008
i seem to remember news of this.

the japanese one wasn't too bad though. the sequel was okay. but l save the world was just plain...o.O, i wonder if it will be like that.
May 1, 2009 4:16 PM

Oct 2008
Why Mokona.... Why do You let them to keep making these kind of things!?
Pls somebody stop them!!!!!

Which Live Action gonna be the next? Lucky Star or Suzumiya?..... The japanese ideas should being only japanese!!! for a strange reason, we can´t make good adaptations of it.... as well they cannot do well adaptation of american ideas.... 4es: Powerpuff Girls Z X___x

Really, no more!!!!

(Sorry my bad english O.o)
May 1, 2009 4:48 PM

Aug 2008
Lol... and now it's Death Note's L and Kira turn to be bashed!!! Seriously I dunno what I can expect from this news... I'm not that happy, nor displeased... I just hope they do Death Note live to its reputation... Do a great, if not, a good movie adaptation of the the those first great volumes... Why the first three... Well if you think about it, in those is where most of the plot developes... and the rest is just the conclusion of everything that triggered the first volume... Well I'll wait for the cast...

Lol I do support Zac Effron as Kira!! GO ZAC! Xd

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 1, 2009 5:00 PM

Apr 2008
kisami said:
what? like none of you saw this coming?
May 1, 2009 5:39 PM
May 2008
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That is all I can come up with.
May 1, 2009 6:16 PM
Jul 2018
No.

Please, NO.

No one asked for Death Note to be ruined.

Actually, with Efron in it it won't even be Death Note. It'll be MUSICAL NOTE, as in a notebook that produces music, and whoever's name is written in the Musical Note will be forced to sing an HSM song. DDx
May 1, 2009 7:12 PM

Apr 2009
O-Oh god... o.o
May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

Apr 2009
sigh

I thought DBE was a lesson for all movie producers?

And if they really do go through with this, they better not mess up L. That will be the only reason I will be watching the movie.
May 1, 2009 7:33 PM

Dec 2007
tiamat21 said:
*yawn*

x

Actually, it would work with Caucasian actors. Whoever said L was Japanese?
May 1, 2009 7:43 PM

Oct 2008
im rewatching DN so I can prepare myself for serious bashing

May 1, 2009 8:04 PM

Jan 2009
Im not seeing anymore anime to live action adaptations.
May 1, 2009 9:02 PM

Feb 2009
This is Fuckin hilarious!

I can't help but start laughin at the audacity of WB.

May 1, 2009 10:10 PM

May 2008
BAHAHAHAH, i can't wait to see how this turns out.
May 1, 2009 10:20 PM

Jun 2008
(づ°‿°.)づ
May 1, 2009 11:41 PM
Jan 2008
Just hope zac doesn't screw up Light and give that impression to non-anime watcher -_-
May 1, 2009 11:59 PM

Dec 2008

Alpha_522 said:
Just hope zac doesn't screw up Light and give that impression to non-anime watcher -_-

Am I missing something here? Or is that Zac dude really playing as Light?
May 2, 2009 12:08 AM
Jan 2008
Pineappledishes said:

Alpha_522 said:

Am I missing something here? Or is that Zac dude really playing as Light?

oh i meant if he were to be Light, my bad.
May 2, 2009 12:32 AM
May 2008
That was only a Rumour
May 2, 2009 12:43 AM

Dec 2008
Thank God. I mean, ok he might have the looks that fit Light, but the man could never pull off the evil look that Light makes and the evil grin. Lol, just picture him trying.
May 2, 2009 1:18 AM

Sep 2007
taiyougumi said:

Which Live Action gonna be the next? Lucky Star or Suzumiya?

Please. I don' t even want to think about more Hollywood-Live-Actions. (Btw, Suzumiya would be Blasphemy.)
May 2, 2009 1:29 AM

Sep 2008
CCZilla said:
tiamat21 said:
*yawn*

x

Actually, it would work with Caucasian actors. Whoever said L was Japanese?

Touche^_^
But will WB hoenstly hire a Caucasian actor? They're just gona go for the most famous actors. Hollywood probaly thinks the more famous the actors the better, WRONG.....
X

>Inviting people to Lockerz, Pm if you want in<
May 2, 2009 1:41 AM

Nov 2007
First I was excited, and then I read this

dtshyk said:
The movie will be based on the first three volumes of the thirteen-volume series.

lol

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
May 2, 2009 9:39 AM

Jun 2008
DaBigD said:

my thoughts exactly
May 2, 2009 9:58 AM

Jun 2007
qtipbrit said:
I hope Zac Efron is in this.

haha, Narf!

May 2, 2009 2:33 PM

Oct 2007
May 2, 2009 2:41 PM

Dec 2008
I really do not get why people are so annoyed over this.

Zac efron looks like Light, he could actually be good for the role.
The Japanese version wasn't even all that amazing. In America they can get the characters how they should be. If they are only doing the first three volumes they pretty much have to do a second film at least.

Misa should have blonde hair and L should be white, like really pale seeing as he is rarely outside and he also lived in an orphanage in England. I don't remember how they did Light but I know it was messed up.

Although depending on who they decide to market this to, if Mello is in it, I am very sure they will make him a girl and his real name 'Michelle', 'Michaela' or something just as awful.

Whether they mess it up or not I'm going to waste my money on the DVD of it.
May 2, 2009 3:04 PM

Apr 2008
qtipbrit said:
I hope Zac Efron is in this.

Even though I hate his freakin guts.

May 2, 2009 6:51 PM

Dec 2007
leitao said:
Also, DBE (which had a crappy script, wooden acting, and barely recognizable characters) was made by 20th Century Fox, which notoriously sucks and ruins every franchise it gets its horrible little hands on. On the other hand, Death Note is being made by the WB, which is an awesome company and is pretty damn good at adaptations. Death Note is definitely in good hands.

Ah yes, WB. The guys who allowed Batman & Robin to get made, and the same guys who want to do a sequel to Watchmen. :/
May 2, 2009 8:45 PM

Oct 2008
Only the first 3 volumes..?

What about the remaining 10 volumes? Are they planning to release a few Death Note films? Otherwise, it will most likely be incomplete.
May 3, 2009 12:48 AM

Jul 2007
Kira01 said:

What about the remaining 10 volumes? Are they planning to release a few Death Note films? Otherwise, it will most likely be incomplete.

lol@people expecting a faithful adaptation.

It will be a movie about psychopath teenager and we all will be happy if the Death note or Ryuuk is even included. :)
May 3, 2009 12:51 AM

Oct 2007
Fai said:
Kira01 said:

lol@people expecting a faithful adaptation.

It will be a movie about psychopath teenager and we all will be happy if the Death note or Ryuuk is even included. :)
HIGH SCHOOL HORROR DRAMA!
May 3, 2009 12:56 AM

Feb 2009
Another Anime Destroyed.. . .oh well. . . .next!!!!
May 3, 2009 1:15 AM

Oct 2007
CrimsonRain said:
Another Anime Destroyed.. . .oh well. . . .next!!!!
Yeah, it'll probably suck so hard that it'll go back in time and shit up the anime too.
May 4, 2009 9:38 AM

Dec 2007
leitao said:
CCZilla said:
leitao said:
Also, DBE (which had a crappy script, wooden acting, and barely recognizable characters) was made by 20th Century Fox, which notoriously sucks and ruins every franchise it gets its horrible little hands on. On the other hand, Death Note is being made by the WB, which is an awesome company and is pretty damn good at adaptations. Death Note is definitely in good hands.

Ah yes, WB. The guys who allowed Batman & Robin to get made, and the same guys who want to do a sequel to Watchmen. :/

Also the company that allowed Batman Begins and the Dark Knight to be made, did the Harry Potter movies (which I love), and allowed Watchmen to be as faithful as it was in the first place (something other studios -- namely Fox, who once had the copyrights -- would not have gone for). ;)

Every studio has its flubs and poorly-made, just for the profit movies, sure, but 20th Century Fox is a whole 'nother level.

At least 20th Century Fox knew better than to be involved with Star Wars: The Clone Wars...something else that WB released.
May 4, 2009 9:55 AM

Jul 2008
OH GAWD SO IT'S TRUE!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
May 4, 2009 2:27 PM
Jun 2008
Who knows this might turn out better than the mediocre original.
May 4, 2009 2:50 PM

Jul 2008
At first I thought making the first three volumes into a movie sounded like a fair amount, but that's way too much. Do they even know what happens in the first three volumes of Death Note? And whats the point in making a movie using those volumes without any word of a sequel? Do the whole thing, or don't do it at all. It'll turn out to be one of those "If it's successful we'll make a sequel" kind of movies. They're only in it for the money. I expect very little from this.
ToukaMay 4, 2009 2:53 PM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
May 4, 2009 2:53 PM
Jun 2008
Touka said:
It's good they're not trying to squash loads into the movie, since they're only going to include the first three volumes. But whats the point in adapting those volumes into a movie without any word of a sequel? Do the whole thing, or don't do it at all. It'll turn out to be one of those "If it's successful we'll make a sequel" kind of thing. They're only in it for the money. Why!? Why!? Why!?
You know I think they should only like make 2 movies with the second being the next four or something.
May 4, 2009 3:03 PM

Jul 2008
DarkBusterCloud said:
Touka said:
It's good they're not trying to squash loads into the movie, since they're only going to include the first three volumes. But whats the point in adapting those volumes into a movie without any word of a sequel? Do the whole thing, or don't do it at all. It'll turn out to be one of those "If it's successful we'll make a sequel" kind of thing. They're only in it for the money. Why!? Why!? Why!?
You know I think they should only like make 2 movies with the second being the next four or something.

That could work, but so much would have to be cut out. Even if there was a trilogy for the first seven volumes so much would still have to be cut out. At first I thought three volumes per movie sounded fair, and it would be for any other manga I think, but after looking at the first three volumes again I can see it's too much for one movie in Death Note's case. There's too much dialogue, and too much that happens. Take this for example...

Spoilers up to volume three.
ToukaMay 4, 2009 3:08 PM
May 4, 2009 3:11 PM
Jun 2008
With a movie adaptation of course a lot is going to be cut out and changed. In my opinion it would be entirely possible to make the movie without those two character's in it.
May 4, 2009 3:20 PM

Jul 2008
DarkBusterCloud said:
With a movie adaptation of course a lot is going to be cut out and changed. In my opinion it would be entirely possible to make the movie without those two character's in it.

But look at how much development comes from those characters, especially in Light's case. Plus not to mention their deaths are some of the best moments in Death Note. Leaving them out would be absurd. Although I hate to say it's not impossible... Even if they were left out, juding from the animes length the movie would still have to be a good three hours long to be a faithful adaption. Pretty much everything that happens in Death Note is crucial to the story as well, so cutting things out is the last thing you want to be doing.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

15 by Andromeda »»
1 hour ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

8 by AddaeAkono »»
2 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Apr 24, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.