Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2009 11:49 AM

May 2008
Good first episode, I just need to adjust to the voices, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Also... HD is <3
Apr 5, 2009 12:01 PM

Nov 2008
Haha, forgot how awesome Hughes is.

And lol at the commercial breaks. "Full Metal Alchemist!"

All in all though, it's great to have FMA back. Nice start to the new series with some original stuff!
Apr 5, 2009 12:01 PM

Oct 2008
It was an ok way to get into the season. Idunno, I just never could really get into FMA, and it's the same here. I hope it gets better later in the season. The whole Edward being too short joke was overused waaaaaay too much, but I generally enjoyed the episode. Just nothing earthshattering.
Apr 5, 2009 12:09 PM

Jul 2008
was a really nice episode. animation was nice, but i think for those who didnt watch the 1st season would have problems with all those characters.
but its awesome to see them again <3

Apr 5, 2009 12:09 PM

Feb 2008
Just saw it. It was EPIC. Now here's something to these "pampered manga fans" comments I saw pages before this one,seriously it was really good! Its going to a really original way sort to speak,I don't think it'll go EXACTLY like the manga. OP and ED were just amazing,I don't think any other song would of fit as nicely.

If anyone wants the torrent its at->http://www.mininova.org/tor/2455683

The story was going quite quickly. :3 But then again thats a good thing in my opinion.

Enjoy!!~
Apr 5, 2009 12:12 PM

Apr 2008
Whats with the english voice in the eyecatches? It sounds like something from Soul Caliber.
Apr 5, 2009 12:17 PM

Nov 2008
metalsnakezero said:
Whats with the english voice in the eyecatches? It sounds like something from Soul Caliber.
Haha, yeah. The second one had me cracking up.
Apr 5, 2009 12:17 PM

May 2007
good stuff.
Apr 5, 2009 12:21 PM

Aug 2008
Filler right from the start... way to go. Ehh, they should just pick up from the point where first series differed from manga. And what the hell with this intermission? Very, very disappointing episode.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 5, 2009 12:22 PM

Oct 2007
Wow, it feels nostalgic to be seeing these characters animated again and all. I only read a couple volumes of the manga, but I was a big fan of the anime, so I'm hoping this new one is truly better like every says the manga is.

But anyway, loved the OP and ED, and the episode kicked ass, even if just filler. So eager for more :D

metalsnakezero said:
It sounds like something from Soul Caliber.

lmao, so true.

Apr 5, 2009 12:24 PM

Jun 2007
Oh nice first episode. I guess we all know FMA anime will have its 'originality' so if you dont like it just go read the manga -_-

OP and ED were very FMA-y, liked them

Omg Miki Shinichiro as Roy, i would've never guessed that one ages ago when i was in love with Roy xD lol...-_-
hanabiiiApr 5, 2009 7:09 PM
Apr 5, 2009 12:25 PM

Mar 2009
Bakayaro said:
Getting used to Miki as Roy is going to be tough as shit

I second this statement D:
Good episode though, it was better then I thought it would be.
Apr 5, 2009 12:26 PM

Oct 2007
i'm glad they brought back a fair number of the original voice cast, but like others have mentioned, original Roy Mustang was better. New Mustang sounds a little too... nice.

Louis Armstrong cracks me up. I love that guy.

Overall it was a good episode, and I'm sure this'll be an entertaining, but knowing everything I do from watching the first series, I still can't shake the feeling that it's an unnecessary remake.
Apr 5, 2009 12:27 PM
Jul 2018
ahh the good times are back ^_^ but i still need to get used to the new character design (even though i see it on the manga, it still ticks me off) specially the lack of a black border in ed's hair... it looks weird >_<

aside from that it was nice, though they shouldn't have shown Father so that they would have kept the suspense... (at least for those who don't read the manga)
Apr 5, 2009 12:28 PM

Nov 2007
WTF was this?!

Well, at least the animation was awesome. That's really the only positive thing I can say about it. Quite disappointing so far...
Apr 5, 2009 12:30 PM

Mar 2008
Hated it. The Ice Alchemist was an uninteresting throw-away villain that served no purpose than to give a target for a series of mediocre fanservice fights. It rushed through the establishment of important character relationships, such as the brothers meeting Hughes. Nothing exciting or relevant happened in the episode. Not so much as a "cool" moment. The whole episode felt like a trashy piece of fan fiction made animated. And the OP/ED, while not entirely awful, were pretty annoying. I had high hopes for this series, but this episode turned me off so strongly that I'm dropping it for now. If I hear that things get better further down the line, I might pick it up again. But there are plenty of superior anime this season, and I don't have the time to waste on something so painful to watch.
Apr 5, 2009 12:33 PM

Mar 2008
Interesting... not quite what I expected but interesting XD

Animation was nice and I liked OP & ED. Damn I just realized how I missed Elric Brothers, Hughes and Armstrong!

But why.... why was Roy's seiyuu changed?? D:
Apr 5, 2009 12:36 PM

May 2008
Sweet Episode.

i was actually counting down until the 1st episode started..
i am looking forward to the next episode.

btw Nice Op song.
TechDragonApr 5, 2009 12:42 PM
Apr 5, 2009 12:41 PM

Dec 2008
Good animation and awful design, average op and poor ed, no-more-funny jokes but still good 1st ep although expectation i had higher than this.
Apr 5, 2009 12:46 PM

Jul 2008
Loved the music they used for the OP and ED.

The episode was okay, nothing too crazy though. I still have very high expectations for later on in the season. ;)
Apr 5, 2009 12:49 PM

Sep 2008
I haven't read the manga and I can't understand much without subtitles so please tell me, is this really following the manga? This is how the manga starts? It seemed a little weird.
Apr 5, 2009 12:51 PM

Jul 2008
darkhriss said:
I haven't read the manga and I can't understand much without subtitles so please tell me, is this really following the manga? This is how the manga starts? It seemed a little weird.

First episode isn't from the manga and I'm not sure either why there was this kind of episode. But when brothers are in Liore (is it wrote like that ?) it's the start of the manga =)

Apr 5, 2009 12:56 PM

Sep 2008
Sonja said:
darkhriss said:

First episode isn't from the manga and I'm not sure either why there was this kind of episode. But when brothers are in Liore (is it wrote like that ?) it's the start of the manga =)

Heh, so at least now we're gonna see the original story. I don't quite like the animation, but oh well, I still have the old series if I want to fangirl over the art.

off topic: your ava is so damn cute!
Apr 5, 2009 12:58 PM
Sep 2007
getting used to subs is going to take awhile.
i didn't really like singing for the op/ed i guess as the words them selves seemed good.
the animation was good also.
but something about the ep just left me bored. i'll just have to wait till the nxt one and see what thats like
Apr 5, 2009 1:00 PM
Apr 2008
Omg they changed the image of some characters. Elric acts like he's an idiot or Mustangs image isn't the same, more like he a comedy side character. -.-
maybe i'm just used to the old episodes. well hope the second episode will be better.
Apr 5, 2009 1:01 PM

Nov 2007
Just watched it, it was superb for the first ep
Loved the op/ed really catchy with Yui for the op ~
The ep was nice, was action packed.
Went with a different direction on the starting than the first season, which was a nice approach. Look forward to more
Finally here, yay =P
Apr 5, 2009 1:03 PM

Jun 2008
Ooohhhh.... finally stumbled across the subs online :D

For a first episode, that was fucking epic.
Apr 5, 2009 1:20 PM

Jul 2007
Megister said:
Omg they changed the image of some characters. Elric acts like he's an idiot or Mustangs image isn't the same, more like he a comedy side character. -.-
maybe i'm just used to the old episodes. well hope the second episode will be better.

Elric acts like a typical male tsundere he is. And yes, expect more of things like that, Crazy Ed Antics is infamously important part of his GAR-ness and true FMA spirit.

And Mustang won't be as "arrogant and serious" as in the first series. He is more ... "sly" in manga and this adaptation, but its the same Mustang, its just that his past is a bit...different from anime ;]
Apr 5, 2009 1:36 PM

May 2008
Veronin said:
Yeah, I think this was mainly an introductory episode more than anything. Next episode will most likely begin following the manga.

I agree

Anyway, my input on this episode:

Just. WOW. Not so much a fan of the OP song, but I do like the intro video. The ED was CUTE!! :3 Yay for drawings!

This episode was really great, though I am a little upset it's an original, but I'm sure it was used for the reason Veronin stated.

I'm glad that Ed's and Al's seiryuus returned for this series (also, I believe Bradley's seiryuu returned as well). Though I am sad that Toru Ookawa is not Roy's seiryuu. However, Miki Shinchiro is doing a fine job too.

I loved the animation. MUCH better than the first series' animation.

I cannot wait for next week. <3

Apr 5, 2009 1:39 PM

Nov 2008
I realy realy hope they start following manga in the next episode...Episode wasnt bad, not at all. It was AWESOME, but it felt like they wanted show every character(in first season) in the first episode. Who was that Ice alchemist??! i didnt see him in the manga!Well i dont care, because he died.Hughes and Armstrong were pure win.

This can be much much better IF THEY START FOLLOWING THE DAMN MANGA! x3...(waiting for manga volumes 20 and 21 to be realeased in Finland)

OxuApr 5, 2009 1:45 PM
Apr 5, 2009 1:42 PM

Apr 2007
Greed <333
He looks much better already and I CANNOT wait for him to appear in an episode~!

I'm loving the op/ed and I like some of the voice changes so far. Kimbley, Riza, and Lust are fine, but I have to get used to Roy's. It's just doesn't sound right. Oh well, it's nice to see everyone animated again (in HD ;3) and now I need to catch up on the manga :D
Apr 5, 2009 1:43 PM
Jun 2007
OKoKOK WOW! I'v waited five months for this! Aaah! ^_____^
So, the OP and Ending songs were awesome and the animation was too. But common IT IS FMA.
Things were happening kinda fast, they put a lot in the first episode.
Also, I'v been promised that it'll go along with the manga, and I didn't remember this ep in there. But I'v read here that it is an original episode and the rest will go according to the manga.
So, now I'm dying to get to sunday next week.
And I'm happy.
yay FMA!
Apr 5, 2009 1:49 PM

Apr 2007
K-ON is better
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2009 1:52 PM

Jun 2007
Did anyone else think this episode was corny? Don't get me wrong it was awesome but seeing all the old things that made each character great seemed to be jam packed into one episode. It felt a little too much. Anyway I think the only thing i'm disapointed with is the opening. Don't get me wrong on that either, the OP is not a bad song I just wish for something more on the JROCK side b/c i think it fits better with the FMA theme. Anyway as i said to my mom today this is like years upon years of waiting for more FMA and I just don't want to be disapointed. I'm also torn over the style. It def looks more like the manga but being so fan girly over the original anime is just going to take some getting use to I think.

I've Been Watching Anime for 20 years now. Can you beat that?
Apr 5, 2009 1:55 PM

Jul 2007
EnvyChan said:

Also, I'v been promised that it'll go along with the manga, and I didn't remember this ep in there. But I'v read here that it is an original episode and the rest will go according to the manga.
yay FMA!

Count it as prequel to "Lior". AL even mentions that they had to postpone their journey to Lior ofr a day or two till all the Isaac stuff goes down.

NExt episode seems to be the flashback and then, hopefully, Lior and Coal Town.

ani said:
Did anyone else think this episode was corny?

Don't get me wrong it was awesome but seeing all the old things that made each character great seemed to be jam packed into one episode. It felt a little too much.

Anyway I think the only thing i'm disapointed with is the opening.

Don't get me wrong on that either, the OP is not a bad song I just wish for something more on the JROCK side b/c i think it fits better with the FMA theme. Anyway as i said to my mom today this is like years upon years of waiting for more FMA and I just don't want to be disapointed.

I'm also torn over the style. It def looks more like the manga but being so fan girly over the original anime is just going to take some getting use to I think.

Corny? Dude. Its FMA. Over-the-top-crazy stuff is expected to say the least :P

Yes all old things. Count this episode as a "gift" , "premiere Episode", "Episode 0" or however you want. Its introduction to the series and nod to both manga and previous anime fans. Its the episode which will air in USA with Vic's live commentaries and etc.

Introduction to both prove that:
1) Its not FMA1 - lookie it starts entirely different, its not a rehash, so now keep watching.
2) Its still the same as manga - Lookie The ____ Character!! and ___!
3) Its still essentially the same FMA at heart and spirit - look, Ed's antics, comedy, all action stuff, character acting In Character.

Next episode should be of normal pacing and be counted as THE REAL start of the show.
AhenshihaelApr 5, 2009 2:01 PM
Apr 5, 2009 1:58 PM

Nov 2008
ani said:
Did anyone else think this episode was corny? Don't get me wrong it was awesome but seeing all the old things that made each character great seemed to be jam packed into one episode.

I was thinking same. I think that They just toshed everything to that first episode, just because they didnt want to start same as first FMA. Opening was good, but it wasnt as catchy as Melisa or even close to READY steady go!
Apr 5, 2009 2:02 PM

May 2008
So, I admit, I was too impatient to wait for the FUNi sub.. ^^; But I promise I will watch it when it comes out and give them their ad revenue! Not to mention buy the DVDs when they come out.
Aaaanyways, the series definitely has a different tone which will probably take me a bit to get used to. A lot more SD than the original series, and other humorous cartooniness (like with Al's notebook and the quiche). But I think that was important so that it will all feel different.
Apr 5, 2009 2:07 PM

Jun 2007
*is happy*
~/////////////~

Apr 5, 2009 2:12 PM

Jun 2008
Awesome.
Started the season off with a rush of action, I cant wait for the next episode.

Apr 5, 2009 2:13 PM

Aug 2008
I am thoroughly satisfied on the first episode. This "introductory" episode gave me the "hype" again to watch this series starting from the beginning. The opening and ending sequences are top notch as well. I can't wait for the next episode! In the meantime, this episode gets a 5 from me.

Apr 5, 2009 2:28 PM

Jan 2008
It was awesome, I can't wait for more. But, I'm a little confused.
Apr 5, 2009 2:41 PM

Feb 2008
very interesting. i cant wait to see where this one goes.
Apr 5, 2009 2:48 PM

Oct 2007
Crap load of English. Looks like they're going for the international market. Was an ok episode but really waiting for next week as that's the real start. Animation is going to take a while to get used to, reminds me of a more advanced Soul Eater. I like all the new voices especially Lust. I repeat my demand for Blu-rays.

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." By Emiliano Zapata
Apr 5, 2009 2:53 PM

Dec 2008
Holy jesus! That was an awsome episode!
Good opening song!!
Apr 5, 2009 2:55 PM

Jan 2008
It wasnt that bad, I had lower expectations about it ^^
Apr 5, 2009 2:55 PM

Mar 2008
That was really fun.
Apr 5, 2009 2:57 PM

Aug 2008
Yes! It was a beautiful beginning!
Really promising!
Apr 5, 2009 3:01 PM

Sep 2008
It's cool watching FMA again lol, enjoyed this episode ^^ can't wait to see more.

Apr 5, 2009 3:03 PM

Feb 2008
shit was epic.

now i need to catch up on with the manga.
Apr 5, 2009 3:12 PM

Sep 2008
I liked this first episode. Made me want to watch more ofc.
The new opening song was ok, not as good as the old ones but it's nothing I'd complain about.
Oh and I missed Hughes and his daughter so much, it's just so cute.

Pages (13) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

971 by Angel_crush1 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Aug 9, 2009

359 by _Abdullah_ »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 63 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 27, 2010

376 by wretuo »»
May 12, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Ahenshihael - Aug 2, 2009

211 by TheBrokenBoyy »»
May 9, 5:24 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ahenshihael - Jul 19, 2009

196 by TheBrokenBoyy »»
May 9, 5:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.