Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 9, 2009 12:49 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow. This episode was beautiful. We get a great episode about Reiko and Shigeru, who was one hell of an annoying kid (he thought Reiko was the odd one?). The animation was wonderful and really re-energized the series. I hope it looks like this from here on out. The cinematography in a few of the scenes was breathtaking. Especially something as simple as Natsume crossing his legs lost in thought at the end of the episode.

It seems like the eyes really are turning into a symbol/manifestation for the ability Reiko and Natsume have. I don't mind it though because it makes sense.

Did anyone else laugh when Nyanko rounded the corner only to see Natsume in the youkai's mouth? For whatever reason, I found this to be hilarious.

Can't say more about this episode. I think it's my favorite.
Mar 9, 2009 4:53 PM

Feb 2008
natsume needs to get over himself already. its not nice to be so distant to people who take care of him. haha it was kinda funny when he was being eaten.
Mar 9, 2009 5:14 PM

Feb 2009
Nice episode! The art was different though.
Anyway here I thought that Touko-san and Shigure-san were some kind of distant relative of Natsume, I guess they aren't related at all. The part of Natsume getting eating was kinda scary, but Nyanko founding that out was indeed funny.
Mar 9, 2009 5:26 PM

Feb 2009
I just keep wondering if Reiko was hated by everyone how was Natsume's parent born? Someone must have eventually come to love her. Although I think that Reiko and Takashi are same in the sense that they distance themselves from people. Reiko probably because she didn't want to conform to people's ideal and didn't want to ignore the youkai or found the human world boring a bit while Takashi probably does it because he's afraid that once people find out he'll be outcast same as Reiko. Unfortunately, Reiko didn't have kind people around her like Takashi does. Wonder if he tells Touko-san and Shigeru before the show's out but I doubt it. Although I think they probably suspect something now.
Mar 9, 2009 6:06 PM
Sep 2008
This episode was just amazing. Seeing Natsume open up to Touko and Shigeru like that. . . it feels almost like they're building up to them finding out. In my opinion, at least.
Mar 9, 2009 6:25 PM

Mar 2008
The episode was full of scary/funny scenes, as people mentioned with Nyanko-sensei find Natsume in the mouth of youkai, and also the axe flying across the air..I mean..axe?! XD
But Reiko-san's speech and Natsume's monologue at the end were very heart-touching as usual. Loved it.
Mar 9, 2009 6:44 PM

Jun 2008
ahhh! so good. The ending was... a bit happy and a bit sad. It's awesome! ^^
This is my favorite episode out of all the zoku eps =D
Mar 9, 2009 7:23 PM
Oct 2008
This episode was really GOOD.

And FINALLY. We get to see more of Natsume's caretakers. Especially Touko's husband. He seemed like some kinda side-character that barely ever appeared. It makes me happy that he has a better face and appearance now. It was hard to imagine him as a proper character before.

I like this episode. My favorite of this season as so far.

I like all of the dynamics they had. But I really want to see if there's more Natsume/cartakers going on later on.

I like the animation. It was different. Not terribly so, but different. I actually... like it... better... -pokes fingers- If only they continued with it. It's so smooth and nice.

Anyway... Awesome episode!
Mar 9, 2009 8:40 PM

Jun 2008
Oh my, what a wonderful episode. Beautiful. I couldn't hold the tears back when Shigeru-san walked into Natsume's room in the end and repeated that this house is his also >_< They're such wonderful people.
Mar 10, 2009 4:06 AM

Sep 2008
I find it interesting that the characters are somewhat connected and that the past is somewhat connected to the present. Both Reiko and Natsume had been to the same house and exorcised the same youkai for the sake of protecting someone that they value.

I laughed when Natsume suddenly ends up in the youkai's mouth. Certainly wasn't expecting that immediately... I thought he would at least give the youkai his kick-ass punch XD
Chicken + Dictionary + Dictionary = CMC. Eeyup.
Mar 10, 2009 4:29 AM

Apr 2008
Wow, this was an intense episode especially compared to how light the last episode was. Oh, and we finally get some character developement with Shigeru and more Reiko. I was wondering after ep 9 if Natsume would ever tell Touko and Shigeru about his ability and now I really get the feeling that's where this show is headed.

Now I'm left wondering if there will be a third season or not. On the one hand, ending with something major like Touko and Shigeru learning about Natsume's ability would not be a bad place to end. On the other hand, I really like this series and 26 episodes just doesn't seem like enough.
Mar 10, 2009 8:21 AM
Feb 2008
I liked this episode it gave me some kind of warm felling inside ^^ something like that's what families are supposed to be ka? well anyway Next episode looks interesting
Mar 10, 2009 8:31 AM
Oct 2008
Quanta said:
On the one hand, ending with something major like Touko and Shigeru learning about Natsume's ability would not be a bad place to end.

I agree completely. I am starting to suspect if this is how the series will come to a close; that there will be some kind of Shigeru/Touko figuring out about Natsume being different. It will surely be an interesting episode to see, that's for sure.

I think it's highly likely because of the clues that they've laced in the series. More so in episode 9 with Touko seeing Natsume yelling at himself, and definately in this episode. o__o.

If they DON'T do something with this, it'll be poor writing. Natsume isn't known for poor writing.

So I can't wait!

3 episodes left everyone.
Mar 10, 2009 11:53 AM

Jun 2008
best episode yet. I cried ;_;

I feel like raising my score for it now.

next episode looks interesting too
Mar 10, 2009 1:00 PM

Jul 2008
The animation for this episode was AMAZING, and the ending made me all teary eyed.

Azumizai said:
Quanta said:
On the one hand, ending with something major like Touko and Shigeru learning about Natsume's ability would not be a bad place to end.

I agree completely. I am starting to suspect if this is how the series will come to a close; that there will be some kind of Shigeru/Touko figuring out about Natsume being different. It will surely be an interesting episode to see, that's for sure.

I think it's highly likely because of the clues that they've laced in the series. More so in episode 9 with Touko seeing Natsume yelling at himself, and definately in this episode. o__o.

If they DON'T do something with this, it'll be poor writing. Natsume isn't known for poor writing.

So I can't wait!

3 episodes left everyone.

And i agree, i think they'll do something like that and they'll accept it or something, its an anime thats most likely gonna have a feel good finish like pretty much every episode.
Mar 10, 2009 2:51 PM

May 2008
I really hope Natsume finally tells them his secret because I know they'll be completely accepting and that would help him so much. He'll realize that the stuff he experienced in his childhood isn't the way everyone feels. His caretakers seem like wonderful and truly caring people. They aren't just shuffling him around like everyone else. ROFL'd at the monster eating him. The art reminded me a little of Noein during the fight scenes when they go to a flatter and faster paced drawing style. Loved the new style and it really fits with the series. This show always gives me a peaceful feeling when I watch it. Can't wait for next week. Natori reappearing always means something interesting will happen.

Mar 11, 2009 12:35 PM

Dec 2008
Such a breathtaking episode it was. Though I still have yet to adjust to the slight changes in the animation, the plot became stronger than ever before. It's about time we were introduced to the past of Shigeru and Touko, but namely Shigeru. The fact that he even encountered Reiko all the while taking care of her grandson without any knowledge of the connection was actually surprising. I suppose it's like a twisted version of his gratitude towards Reiko by caring for her grandson without even knowing it? I do wonder if that was what the writers intentionally planned to do? The strange twists never cease to amaze me.

I hope Natsume will break out of his shell and expose his secret to at least Shigeru, for the man seems accepting enough. This episode made me feel warm inside, and the lone fact that there are three episodes left in waiting has suddenly made me feel a brisk, unwanted chill. :[

Overall this was quite the intense episode and I expected no less. Next episode sounds promising and is worthy of my anticipation. Others out there that are literally like Natsume? I can't wait!
~ SilentMuse, At Your Service. ~
Mar 14, 2009 10:28 PM

Dec 2008
the animation looks a bit weird
not sure if the quality went down or something but it was annoying me a bit
Mar 15, 2009 2:21 AM

Nov 2007
loved it so much. why is this show always so good.

kisami said:
natsume needs to get over himself already. its not nice to be so distant to people who take care of him.

only recently has he learned that he can trust others. he has spent his whole life jumping from home to home never having a true sense of belonging. this episode really gave him a good chance to do so.
Mar 15, 2009 4:26 AM
Jan 2009
I also think that the animation quality has dropped a bit. Especially at the beginning when Madara was pissed. But I like the story a lot, hopefully they'll reveal more insights about Reiko and how she came to have a grandson if she was such a loner.
Mar 15, 2009 4:47 AM
Dec 2007
The animation was a bit strange but really great in the action scenes (I think that's the first time in the series that there are actually action scenes this well-done), and the direction was even better than usual. Moreover , it's always a pleasure to see Reiko, she is such a fantastic character, too bad that she supposedly died long ago. But I'm sure there are still loads of secrets to be told concerning Reiko. We saw a bit more of Shigeru too, who I don't remember having seen too much before this episode and it was a good thing to see a small development between Touko, Shigeru and Takashi. Next episode looks like fun too, so I still expect great things from this series !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Mar 15, 2009 9:41 AM

Nov 2007
Yeah the animation in this episode feels... different, but the story was just great. It really gave some nice background on Reiko, and gave some development on Shigeru. Plus there is also some comic relief with Nyanko-sensei. Overall, another great episode, although the animation took some time for me to adjust to.

Next episode looks to be promising. I hope it'll be great. It's kinda sad that it's about to end though.
Mar 15, 2009 3:41 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Creepy youkai. Nice episode, as always.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 15, 2009 5:23 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Shigeru-san rules! I like how this episodes connect everything together...

next episode looks awesome, a meeting of mages? That is something to look forward to...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Mar 15, 2009 8:39 PM

Jun 2007
kittybell said:
I just keep wondering if Reiko was hated by everyone how was Natsume's parent born? Someone must have eventually come to love her. Although I think that Reiko and Takashi are same in the sense that they distance themselves from people. Reiko probably because she didn't want to conform to people's ideal and didn't want to ignore the youkai or found the human world boring a bit while Takashi probably does it because he's afraid that once people find out he'll be outcast same as Reiko. Unfortunately, Reiko didn't have kind people around her like Takashi does. Wonder if he tells Touko-san and Shigeru before the show's out but I doubt it. Although I think they probably suspect something now.

I've been wondering the same thing. She must have found someone who loved her if she didn't then Natsume wouldn't be around....well I guess Natsume could actually be Reiko but that would be kind of weird.
Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

Apr 2007
beginning was QUALITY

but the rest, pure loev <3
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Mar 16, 2009 6:32 AM

Apr 2008
Man, i absolutely love this series.
plus the animation was superb =D
Mar 16, 2009 3:02 PM

Dec 2008
I didn't think it was possible since I really love this series a lot as a whole, but I've finally came upon an episode that I can really call it my favourite. I absolutely loved it!!

At first I was a bit distracted in the beginning because I immediately noticed a difference in the art, especially Natsume's hair!! I was like...o_o..something is off with his hair >< gah!

Again, I love the hint of love (friendship of course) between Natsume and Nyanko-sensei...but I was specifically and extremely pleased with the connection between Shigeru and Natsume. I'm happy that this aspect was covered because before, I always thought that Shigeru was so boring and..in a way pointless cuz he was just there in the background. So I really loved how we could see how he is so much like Touko-san in the sense that he truly loves Natsume and treats him as a part of the family.

Shigeru when he was a kid was annoying but in such an endearing way! I couldn't help but giggle at some scenes because it was just so adorable. Just like all of us (who are adults), we were so different when we were kids, so I loved how realistic it was for them to contrast the calm and gentle Shigeru with his bratty younger self :P

Playing up with my suspicions from last week, I'm more convinced that not only Touko-san, but Shigeru-san knows more about Natsume than we think they do. I think that they are just being supportive and just waiting for Natsume to open up when he is ready. So when Shigeru-san saw the destroyed room, I dunno...it just gave me chills to think of the possibility of him already knowing the truth but he chooses to not force Natsume to explain anything and accepts him wholeheartedly.

When Natsume goes about pondering on the possible reason that Reiko avoided Shigeru was because she didn't want to tell the truth....I had an epiphany! I thought..maybe Natsume is Reiko's second chance at living a better life. Natsume and Reiko are so alike to the point that you can't help but wonder if Natsume is possibily Reiko's reincarnation? Natsume has to go through similar problems as Reiko, but Natsume is able to live beyond the pain and strive for a better life....the fact that Natsume is adopted by Reiko's precious human friend makes me feel this sense of fate or destiny....

Man I really love this episode XD

P.S. I also laughed out loud when I saw Natsume being eaten :( I blame it on the nice animation
Mar 16, 2009 6:50 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
DeathfireD said:
kittybell said:

I've been wondering the same thing. She must have found someone who loved her if she didn't then Natsume wouldn't be around....well I guess Natsume could actually be Reiko but that would be kind of weird.

yeah, I have been wondering: what kind of person did Reiko marry to?
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Mar 16, 2009 7:34 PM

Jun 2007
Simply beautiful!!

Can I ask you guys a huge favor? can someone explain me please the connection of natsume to Touko and Shigeru? The whole time I thought they were relatives (like nephew).. thats why I found it weird Shigeru doesn;t know Reiko when he met her.. thanks =)
Mar 16, 2009 8:23 PM

Apr 2008
^From what I understand they aren't related... though Natsume did stay with his relatives previously.

nami_k said:
The episode was full of scary/funny scenes, as people mentioned with Nyanko-sensei find Natsume in the mouth of youkai, and also the axe flying across the air..I mean..axe?! XD
But Reiko-san's speech and Natsume's monologue at the end were very heart-touching as usual. Loved it.
This!!!! :D

robbydesu said:
...P.S. I also laughed out loud when I saw Natsume being eaten :( I blame it on the nice animation
Agreed, I really couldn't help it! ^^; The parts with the differing character art did take a moment to get used to, but the nice animation and wonderful storytelling meant I didn't dwell on it too long!
Mar 16, 2009 10:03 PM

Sep 2007
kisami said:
natsume needs to get over himself already.

Just the opposite, hahah. He needs to be more arrogant/confident.

Really loved this episode. Once again I'm amazed at the choice of Natsume as a main character rather than Reiko. Both are such awesome characters, but this series simply would not be as great without Natsume's perspective.

And this was the creepiest Youkai since that shadow curse thing that slowly got closer to Natsume in the first season.
Mar 16, 2009 10:40 PM

May 2007
This episode had great animation, great tension, and we learned about Shigeru and Reiko.

This was except for the two parter the best episode of the season.
My anime list
Mar 17, 2009 5:27 PM

Dec 2007
It's something like reflex, My tear would like to show up whenever an episode come to near end :)
Mar 18, 2009 8:44 PM

May 2008
I don't think the Animation quality dropped, it sorta feels like someone else did it. But it did not drop for sure. It was like the face of Natsume was a bit different, but the detail was there, the animation was fluid.

Just maybe the key animator wasn't there or something. I just kinda had the feeling that someone else animated the episode.
Mar 18, 2009 8:52 PM

Dec 2008
canephalanx said:
I don't think the Animation quality dropped, it sorta feels like someone else did it. But it did not drop for sure. It was like the face of Natsume was a bit different, but the detail was there, the animation was fluid.

Just maybe the key animator wasn't there or something. I just kinda had the feeling that someone else animated the episode.

exactly! I was so bothered by it at first cuz it was just so different to me, but regardless of it being different...I definitely enjoyed every bit of the episode :D
Mar 19, 2009 7:14 AM
Oct 2008
canephalanx said:

Exactly. It was probably a different animation director. For whatever reason, someone major in the animation process was changed for that episode.

And it wasn't for worse even, it turned out to end up better. Even though it seemed a little 'rougher', the animation itself was more fluid. ^__^
Mar 19, 2009 3:43 PM

Apr 2008
This is, by far, my favorite episode Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou. The story was touching, and I'm glad that the writers focused on Shigeru a little (or should I say, a lot) more, but the animation looked different...in a great way. This episode was so beautifully animated that even the movement of Natsume's hair took my breath away. I easily got used to the shift in animation style.

The only thing I have to complain about this series is that there are only 2 more episodes left :(.
Mar 19, 2009 9:18 PM

Nov 2008
What a great episode! My fav, in fact. I loved the ending, and I really hope that Natsume will open up with Shigeru and his wife.

And I still want more Taki :D

Mar 21, 2009 1:59 PM

Jul 2008
I really liked this one! Really touching...!
Yeah, the animation/art looks different, but I loved it!
I think it looks more like the manga art now (: I look foward for next week's episode!~
PetitMay 5, 2009 3:51 PM
Mar 22, 2009 5:43 AM

May 2008
Great animation, direction, and cinematography. I really liked the rough style the animation had. The design of the youkai was particularly impressive. Plus, we get to find out more about Reiko. It's interesting to compare Natsume and Reiko and see the their similarities and differences.

Overall, my favourite episode of this season so far. I wonder who the animation director of this episode was?
Mar 23, 2009 6:53 PM

Jan 2008
WOW, EPIC, AWESOME, OH GOD. NO WORDS. NO WORDS.
Apr 1, 2009 12:39 PM

May 2008
Watched this earlier today. Despite a few pieces of budget saver animation this may very well be the single best episode of Natsume period. Whenever I feel like I'm almost ready to be done with the show because it doesn't seem to be doing anything new an episode like this comes along and makes me want yet another season. The scene between Natsume and Shigeru at the end was simply perfection.
Apr 10, 2009 8:23 AM

Jun 2008
Really, really good episode.

I practically melted when Shigeru-san told Natsume that he doesn't need to pay for the repairs because it is his home. I think deep inside Shigure-san's mind, he knew what Natsume did was like what Reiko did to exorcise the youkai.
May 7, 2009 2:02 AM
Jul 2008
Like how this episode mentioned a lot more things about Reiko, seeing the type of character she really is.
May 28, 2009 4:22 PM

Sep 2008
Wonderful episode. I sort of half freaked out and half laughed when I saw the youkai munching on Natsume, haha. It was really nice to see some more of Reiko and, of course, Shigeru-san, since we've hardly seen him that much... Well, he's popped up now and again, but he just seemed to be there as some sort of decor as a side character, never really doing anything.

The animation was really nice too. I feel sad that there are only three episodes left now...
May 28, 2009 11:22 PM

Aug 2007
Amazing Episode pure and simple.

Jun 2, 2009 7:52 PM

Apr 2008
rawrs ~ the whole room explode xD haha

Jun 19, 2009 6:20 PM

Jul 2008
kittybell said:
I just keep wondering if Reiko was hated by everyone how was Natsume's parent born? Someone must have eventually come to love her.
That would be an interesting story to explore.

BEGINNER
Jul 12, 2009 10:11 PM
Mar 2008
AWESOME EPISODE ><
End scene was so touching ;_;

On another note, I get the feeling that if Natsume told the caretakers about his abilities, they'd go like:
"Oh, that's nice. Dinner's ready!"
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

dbaranyi - Mar 23, 2009

105 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 3, 3:06 PM

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MaxCrazy7 - Mar 16, 2009

101 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 3, 2:47 PM

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaxCrazy7 - Mar 30, 2009

179 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Feb 12, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aznixiboy - Mar 20, 2009

56 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Feb 8, 2:33 AM

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Feb 9, 2009

98 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Feb 7, 4:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.