Forum Settings
Forums

Lump-summed Franchises in the Top Anime List

New
Dec 25, 2013 10:08 AM

Apr 2012
I've been thinking this for a while now, but after seeing a 4th Gintama appear in the Top 30 list I think its finally time to make this thread. I think its time MAL starts to consider rating tops as a franchise, not as EVERY SINGLE SERIES and movie(s) and OVAs and specials and second seasons, etc., but rather rate the franchise as a whole for things like Gintama, Madoka, and Hajime no Ippo, not necessarily to replace the top list, but perhaps as a secondary tab like the "Most Popular" category or the "Top TV Series" category.
Dec 25, 2013 10:15 AM

Nov 2010
I've thought about the same thing but I went farther into grouping lists in franchises and having franchise pages. But this seems like a good idea. There are some things that are rated high mostly because they are sequels or specials. I think grouping them by franchise and combining their scores of the actual series(so Gintama's franchise score would be decided by the three series, not the movies, specials, OVAs, etc) at least for the top page would really show the top anime more and be easier for new users. Right now they're getting their hopes up whenever they see 4 gintama entries in the top 30.

You'd have to figure out what to do though with GIT's alternate timelines and remakes though like FMA.
Dec 25, 2013 10:19 AM

Feb 2013
That is a really good idea and I hope they would consider this suggestion because you can't use the same rating system for one anime that has over 100 episodes with a movie that has only one episode.
Dec 25, 2013 1:23 PM
Jul 2018
I highly approve of this idea, considering I'm a fairly new anime fan, it's pretty difficult to some degree. I would also like to make a suggestion as follows: An option to sort animes by their release date. I'm not aware if it's possible to do this in MAL, if so please let me know.
Dec 25, 2013 2:26 PM

Nov 2010
ligonis1337 said:
I highly approve of this idea, considering I'm a fairly new anime fan, it's pretty difficult to some degree. I would also like to make a suggestion as follows: An option to sort animes by their release date. I'm not aware if it's possible to do this in MAL, if so please let me know.
Yes you can, go here then click Advanced Search. Then under Columns, hold ctrl and press Start Date, then click search. That will allow you to order all anime by when they started.
Dec 25, 2013 10:03 PM

Nov 2007
I like this idea as well. Sequels usually have an advantage in terms of ratings, since the people watching them are usually the ones that liked the prequel in the first place. People who dropped the prequel, wouldn't normally bother with the sequel. So a franchise would work well, so that people who dropped a prequel would have their ratings actually count if anime was represented as a franchise instead.

A bit off topic here, but i'd also like to see different thresholds of an anime completed depending on the length of the said series, for scores to count, as long running series such as Gintama, One Piece, etc have an advantage in this regard as well. That's however another story.
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Dec 30, 2013 3:33 PM
Jul 2018
IntroverTurtle said:
ligonis1337 said:
Yes you can, go here then click Advanced Search. Then under Columns, hold ctrl and press Start Date, then click search. That will allow you to order all anime by when they started.

A bit of a slow response due to work, also sorry for my inconsistency in the previous post. I meant, if there's any possible way to sort a franchise by their release date. Frequently I have been noticing more and more animes that although have prequels, they are released later than their sequel counterparts, thus some people get confused and watch the prequel first so they don't understand most of the references too.
Dec 30, 2013 3:42 PM

Nov 2010
ligonis1337 said:
IntroverTurtle said:
ligonis1337 said:

A bit of a slow response due to work, also sorry for my inconsistency in the previous post. I meant, if there's any possible way to sort a franchise by their release date. Frequently I have been noticing more and more animes that although have prequels, they are released later than their sequel counterparts, thus some people get confused and watch the prequel first so they don't understand most of the references too.
Well I don't think there's any fool proof way to make sure you watch what comes first, first, like you said some prequels come later that you should watch after the normal series, but then there are also prequels that come later that a new watcher might actually want to watch first. But go to the page I linked, and then type in the anime name that they all share into the search box, like "Gundam", and then do what I said and and search then you can sort all anime with Gundam in the title by start date. You have to do it through the Advanced search, so it's a little tricky at times with some franchises.
But most anime usually have a thread where someone asked what to watch first, when to watch something, etc.
Dec 31, 2013 6:30 PM
Jul 2018
IntroverTurtle said:
ligonis1337 said:
IntroverTurtle said:
ligonis1337 said:

Well I don't think there's any fool proof way to make sure you watch what comes first, first, like you said some prequels come later that you should watch after the normal series, but then there are also prequels that come later that a new watcher might actually want to watch first. But go to the page I linked, and then type in the anime name that they all share into the search box, like "Gundam", and then do what I said and and search then you can sort all anime with Gundam in the title by start date. You have to do it through the Advanced search, so it's a little tricky at times with some franchises.
But most anime usually have a thread where someone asked what to watch first, when to watch something, etc.

Ahh silly me then! Should have thought of that the first time you told me about the advanced search!

@nucleon, this is my default method at the moment, but its rather troublesome at times if you can't find details.

Thank you, both, for the help and happy new year!
Jul 26, 2014 9:44 AM

Mar 2014
I highly approve of this idea!

I was about to make a new topic when I searched and found this one.

Also, I think for re-makes, they should be included, as they are surely part of the larger franchise, even if they're telling the same story... however, for spin-offs I'm not sure.

Perhaps there could be multiple franchise pages, one for the entire franchise, and one for the main franchise and each spin-off franchise (of course, depending on if a spin-off becomes large enough in it's own right).

For example: Their could be a "Gundam" franchise that has every single one of the Gundam shows and films connected to it...
But, then there could also be a "Gundam (Universal Century)" franchise, a "Gundam (Cosmic Era)" franchise, and a "Gundam (After Colony)" franchise. With each of those only including shows and films that are related to that specific Gundam universe.
::End of Transmission::

More topics from this board

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.