Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Dec 12, 2013 12:04 PM

Apr 2011
Fucking loved it! The OVA gave some pretty major hints into the secrets of the Titans, which tie in nicely with what we now know about Eren and Annie and their ability to transform into Titans. I wonder if the Titan tearing at its face was in the description she was writing, since it wasn't in the narration? I do love the thought of a member of the Survey Corps desperately writing down every detail she could think of about her encounter, in desperate hope that something would be useful, up to and including the Titan's breath, until CRUNCH.
Dec 12, 2013 3:30 PM

May 2012
A pretty decent side story I must say, and well I do wonder if they'll make a second season after all... time will tell I guess!
Dec 12, 2013 6:02 PM

Jul 2013
R- said:
so nice to see new animated stuff again

+1, great OVA, I was excited when it was released, reminds me of waiting for Saturdays for an episode of Shingeki no Kyojin, aaah feels like long time ago!
Dec 12, 2013 9:02 PM

Aug 2008
The OP gave me such nostalgic feelings haha.

I'm really surprised how WELL they made this chapter into its wonderful animated version. Watching this gave me chills. Seeing Aururo and Petra again made me so sad......my baby Petra :(

I'm so excited for season 2 because....

Janethan23 said:
A lot of people including myself are waiting for the second season with anticipation. Now that there's some sort of connection between Ymir and the Titans I can't look at her the same way I had during the 1st season. In a way; she's drawn a lot of attention even though she had no screen time.

Or maybe

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this. The talking Titan could've been referring to an actual deity named Ymir and the Ymir we all know just happens to share the same name.

Read. The. Manga. I couldn't bear waiting every Saturday for episodes so I just sat one late night and read it all in one sitting.
Dec 12, 2013 10:29 PM

Jan 2013
This is canon right? Did Hajime Isayama wrote this?
Dec 12, 2013 10:33 PM

Nov 2010
ibrahim2712 said:
Yes, it's chapter 16.5 or 18.5, one of those.
Dec 12, 2013 10:34 PM

Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
ibrahim2712 said:

Yea i just skimmed through the manga version the OVA added a scenes with Levi and them though
Dec 12, 2013 10:36 PM

Nov 2010
ibrahim2712 said:
IntroverTurtle said:
ibrahim2712 said:

Yea i just skimmed through the manga version the OVA added a scenes with Levi and them though
Yes, it's still canon though.
Dec 13, 2013 12:10 AM

May 2013
IF only i was sure that Hanji is a girl , she would be my fav character from AOT /

No lipstick + flat chest = epic fail
Dec 13, 2013 4:39 AM

Apr 2012
randomlock said:
IF only i was sure that Hanji is a girl , she would be my fav character from AOT /

No lipstick + flat chest = epic fail

Do you think scientist/nerds like Hanji are more concerned with appearance? I've seen some ugly unkempt nerds that if they only put on makeup and wore stuff relative to women they'd be hot.

Kallen_R2 said:
Read. The. Manga. I couldn't bear waiting every Saturday for episodes so I just sat one late night and read it all in one sitting.

Sorry I don't read manga unless the anime is no longer in production. I prefer watching it as it unfolds on the screen so my mind is blown exponentially by the anime's epic animation, voice acting and music. My personal preference.
Janethan23Dec 13, 2013 4:49 AM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Dec 13, 2013 6:06 AM

May 2013
I kind a got scared watching this i dont know why but the environment at the flashback looks very scary :/

Great OVA :D
Thx alot
Dec 13, 2013 8:31 AM

Oct 2013
zellami said:
It really crept me out the way the titan preserved Ilse's body. (It doesn't exist in the manga, but makes sense in its weird way). I am not sure if the 46-m kyojin lead Hanji to Ilse's memorial on purpose or upon seeing Hanji, remembered where he left Ilse and went back to her). Ilse is one of the greatest characters in the manga - being so alone, so scared, lost all her comrades, yet fought literally with a pen and a note, finding courage to run back to Wall Rose on foot and leave (basically) a legacy.

As expected, Hanji is crazy about studying titans, but Ilse's story helps her form a proposal to Erwin, which he could seriously consider - as much as she loves to poke titans around, she is reckless and rather childish in the beginning to the point of endangering herself, her comrades, and the missions. Who wouldn't love her (in case they live to see another day) :D
Arbitrary, the OAD has become a tribute to the new approach of fighting the titans with more understanding, than mere counter-slaughter. Tl;dr, it's the first communication recorded b/w a human and a titan and casts a light to a character, whose story we are yet to figure.

Aside the animation, liked this OAD very much! A very small (special chapter 18.5) piece of the manga got attention, tied up the extended parts in the anime, and added new material. Definitely "not bad"!

Yeah, more in depth of the anime.

Woah, the titan tearing face scene...>.<.... Levi's cute.
Dec 13, 2013 6:08 PM
Sep 2010
Now I"m more confused about the Titans more than ever. When it spoke my jaw drop. It was an interesting OVA. Kind of glad they used the first opening, it's my favorite.
Uploader53
Dec 14, 2013 3:17 PM

Mar 2013
Interesting episode as usual ... Gettin' more and more curious now ! ^-^
Dec 15, 2013 4:03 AM
Nov 2008
I can't possibly be the only person who caught this. At the 8:35 mark, Levi's team starts riding through the forest. A few seconds into the scene, Oluo is just, like, slaughtered instantly. And it's never acknowledged by any means whatsoever, even though he is clearly alive and well throughout the rest of the episode. What the hell was up with that?
Dec 15, 2013 4:25 AM

Jul 2012
So titans are intelligent after all.

Great OVA!!!
Dec 15, 2013 8:51 AM

Nov 2010
Thalandor46 said:
I can't possibly be the only person who caught this. At the 8:35 mark, Levi's team starts riding through the forest. A few seconds into the scene, Oluo is just, like, slaughtered instantly. And it's never acknowledged by any means whatsoever, even though he is clearly alive and well throughout the rest of the episode. What the hell was up with that?
He bit his tongue because he was talking while riding a horse, he always does that. Remember in the series?
Dec 15, 2013 12:54 PM
Nov 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
He bit his tongue because he was talking while riding a horse, he always does that. Remember in the series?

Honestly, no, I don't remember. It's only vaguely familiar now that it's been brought to my attention. Even so, that was ridiculously over dramatic for a tongue bite. His head snaps back, a massive amount of blood explodes in front of him, and he falls back out of frame. It looked like a ninja ran by and decapitated him. I thought for sure he was grabbed by an unseen titan that was going to be relevant later in the story.
Dec 15, 2013 2:56 PM

Jan 2013
Thalandor46 said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Honestly, no, I don't remember. It's only vaguely familiar now that it's been brought to my attention. Even so, that was ridiculously over dramatic for a tongue bite. His head snaps back, a massive amount of blood explodes in front of him, and he falls back out of frame. It looked like a ninja ran by and decapitated him. I thought for sure he was grabbed by an unseen titan that was going to be relevant later in the story.

How do you not remember that, he did it like 4 times, it was a running joke throughout the series.
Dec 16, 2013 4:56 AM

Dec 2012
ibrahim2712 said:
Thalandor46 said:
IntroverTurtle said:

How do you not remember that, he did it like 4 times, it was a running joke throughout the series.

Best tongue bite ever. Hope it is not the last time we see him do it.
Dec 16, 2013 6:04 AM

Jan 2012
It feels like titans were programmed or cursed by someone to kill people, if they don't they will just lose control.
Dec 16, 2013 7:02 AM
Jan 2011
great episode, although it was silly that she was still writing while her head was about to be bitten off.

That's like trying to text message while in the jaws of a shark.
Dec 16, 2013 9:01 AM

Aug 2013
blueyedsamurai said:
great episode, although it was silly that she was still writing while her head was about to be bitten off.

That's like trying to text message while in the jaws of a shark.

Well, she was going to die anyway, and she wanted to put down as much information as she could, in order so that this notebook of hers may provide valuable information that could lead to some discovery about the Titans and whatnot. Better than just screaming like most victims.
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks appeal."
Dec 16, 2013 11:05 AM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Hanji was great in this.

Dec 16, 2013 11:22 AM

Oct 2012
Not bad. Actually it was refreshing when Eren-crybaby and Armin-coward wasn't there.

A little bit backstory - it's sure interesting to know titans can talk.
Dec 16, 2013 11:40 AM

Jun 2008
The most intense OVA i've ever seen o__o
Dec 16, 2013 2:10 PM

Apr 2013
*Waiting for Headless Isle memes to come*
It was greatly adapted.
ChowkkoDec 16, 2013 2:28 PM
Dec 17, 2013 8:49 AM

May 2011
Ahh, seeing these old characters again when we won't ever see them again. It is wonderful and really sad at the same time. I adore Hanji though so that was what I focused on. xD Although you know I kind of went yay and then felt really sad about Levi being protective of his squad. D: And yeah, Ilse was amazing, recording everything to the end like that.
Dec 17, 2013 1:28 PM

Apr 2012
Too bad Levi killed the talking titan. A lot could've been learned from him.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.

To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Dec 17, 2013 4:10 PM

Mar 2013
It's so good to hear usutsukushi zankoku na sekai again
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Dec 17, 2013 5:45 PM

Jul 2013
Fuck I love SnK.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 17, 2013 7:19 PM

Mar 2009
Too bad Levi's squad isn't the main focus of AoT. Would definitely be much more enjoyable to watch, IMO.

Good OVA.
Dec 18, 2013 5:33 AM
Feb 2011
zellami said:
It really crept me out the way the titan preserved Ilse's body. (It doesn't exist in the manga, but makes sense in its weird way). I am not sure if the 46-m kyojin lead Hanji to Ilse's memorial on purpose or upon seeing Hanji, remembered where he left Ilse and went back to her). Ilse is one of the greatest characters in the manga - being so alone, so scared, lost all her comrades, yet fought literally with a pen and a note, finding courage to run back to Wall Rose on foot and leave (basically) a legacy.
I think he made Ilse a memorial and remembered it when he met Hanji and led the latter to the tree. With how he almost tore his face open when he met Ilse, I'm somehow convinced that he's confused and had regrets killing her. I was surprised when he mentioned Ymir. I'd been spoiled about the Titan shifters but I definitely had no idea Ymir was in on it, too. If they captured that Titan alive, the amount of information Hanji;s gonna get would've been SO substantial and valuable. What a waste!

I find it funny how Ilse was able to write down all those stuff, especially when she was caught by the Titan. Gotta love how these people handle their fears. And it was nice seeing the Levi squad again. Great OVA.
Dec 18, 2013 2:31 PM

Apr 2012
Sasafune said:
...If they captured that Titan alive, the amount of information Hanji;s gonna get would've been SO substantial and valuable. What a waste!

Somehow I realized even if they captured this particular titan; the titan shifters who infiltrated their ranks would kill it to keep their secrets.

Dec 18, 2013 2:53 PM

Jul 2010
Dat spoiler drop.

Anyway, great OVA. FINALLY, a little more humanity on titans, I've been waiting for this.
Dec 19, 2013 4:32 PM

May 2013
Very nice! cant wait for season 2
Dec 20, 2013 5:41 AM

Oct 2010
Sasafune said:
I find it funny how Ilse was able to write down all those stuff, especially when she was caught by the Titan. Gotta love how these people handle their fears. And it was nice seeing the Levi squad again. Great OVA.

The way she kept on describing what was happening even after she'd dropped her notebook and was literally in the titans mouth I think showed really well what type of person she was.
Dec 20, 2013 2:09 PM

Jul 2013
When does the second OVA come out? Also, the titan saying "Ymir-sama" pretty much spoiled what could be a big reveal for me, I mean it's kind of obvious now what to expect.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 20, 2013 4:11 PM

Dec 2008
A Titan that can speak? Wow! This just got more interesting. As odd as the Titan was, it seemed like he really didn't want to eat Ilsa. I'm wondering if human blood is like crack or Ecstacy to a Titan. He seemed to get a nice little high from eating Ilsa's head.
Dec 20, 2013 4:20 PM

Aug 2012
Minagatachi said:
When does the second OVA come out? Also, the titan saying "Ymir-sama" pretty much spoiled what could be a big reveal for me, I mean it's kind of obvious now what to expect.

Comes out at April 9 2014
Dec 21, 2013 1:32 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
NIce little OVA to keep the candle burning until a second season is announced. Good adaption of the manga too.

Hanji Zoe is a really cool character, she brings some much needed humour to that setting.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 22, 2013 9:04 PM
Feb 2012
I dunno, it's almost like a parody of those absurdly detailed apocalyptic logs that victims focus on writing literally right up to the point they're killed.

Only it's taken seriously.
Dec 23, 2013 8:37 AM

Jul 2013
Too bad levi killed the hunky titan. Such waste of a good meat.
Dec 24, 2013 3:06 PM

Apr 2013
Hanjii, so creepy and cool, and her 'love' for titans.
Levi's squad.. Nice, better than i expected.
Dec 24, 2013 4:31 PM

Nov 2012
Keilis said:
Too bad Levi's squad wasn't the main focus of AoT. Would have been definitely be much more enjoyable to watch, IMO.

Good OVA.

Fixed it
Dec 26, 2013 4:34 PM

Dec 2012
Sasafune said:
zellami said:
I think he made Ilse a memorial and remembered it when he met Hanji and led the latter to the tree. With how he almost tore his face open when he met Ilse, I'm somehow convinced that he's confused and had regrets killing her. I was surprised when he mentioned Ymir. I'd been spoiled about the Titan shifters but I definitely had no idea Ymir was in on it, too. If they captured that Titan alive, the amount of information Hanji;s gonna get would've been SO substantial and valuable. What a waste!

Reading the manga naturally pace time differently between chapters, but because of the spoiler, the anime omitted it. If you feel spoiled after watching the OVA, trust me, is the better option. The possible second season should quickly reach to the point where the OVA will make sense. That being said, there's more to it in the manga, so stuff gets wild :)

Clumsly as he was, (I think) the giant was searching for the tree-memorial. Not that titans are especially graceful, but they rarely knock trees around if there aren't humans to prey upon. Hanji reminded him of Ilse and he followed her, till he realized he was receding further from the forest and went back. It was almost comical how he ignored Levi's squad, because even if some deviants are capable to ignore single humans, they break formations. This one freaked them out :)

Yeah, on his "defense", he really fought with his nature not to eat Ilse.

... I suddenly realized that all other captured titans received names and this one - the brightest of all, didn't.

So, how about 'Nanashi' (means "nameless")?

Yeah, an awesome chick. Until her last moment, I hoped she would make it or the titan would exert control over the killing impulse. I have read the manga more times than it's healthy ... and I still slipped into routing for the impossible.
zellamiDec 26, 2013 4:39 PM
Dec 27, 2013 7:30 PM

Apr 2010
Good ep, Hanji rocks. I hope there's more of her in the next OVA, and more lack of Eren and Mikasa. I enjoyed this a lot more than I was expecting.
Dec 29, 2013 8:10 PM
Jul 2018
I admire Ilse. Despite being so terrified of the situation she's in, she still kept writing down on her notebook hoping that it would be of use in the future.
Dec 29, 2013 8:15 PM

Aug 2013
Of course they release an OVA but not another fucking season.
"Canaan. You're a victim whose past was taken away by war. And she's a defeated person who lost her past in a power struggle. Soldiers who are born within destruction take hatred as their weapon. Even though you and her became soldiers for the same reason, you both live differently. Listen Canaan, you cannot counter hatred with hatred... ever." -Siam, Canaan
Dec 29, 2013 8:17 PM

Jan 2013
It was amazing. Seeing more of Hanji was nice. She's so crazy, but in a good way. Also seeing Levi and his awesome fighting skills was a good thing. The way the Titan killed Ilse was pretty creepy. Also how we was ripping of his skin. Gave me chills. I would've freaked out of a titan was that close to my face. How can she continue writing knowing she's about to die, that's scary. Also Mike appears which is a good. Overall it was a pretty epic OVA. Even better than the manga chapter. Seems like there's gonna be a new one coming out soon.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin OVA Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

keragamming - Aug 8, 2014

143 by Apreggi »»
Feb 24, 6:11 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin OVA Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2014

272 by Apreggi »»
Feb 21, 1:10 AM

» Eren is an immature dick

Kokko - Aug 20, 2014

14 by _spoon_ »»
Nov 12, 2021 10:42 PM

» Episode 5

StormBoi - Apr 11, 2015

2 by SpeedRoidGenm »»
Oct 28, 2018 1:11 PM

» has anyone seen: Chibi Theater: Fly, Cadets, Fly!

dinka- - Apr 6, 2018

2 by dinka- »»
Apr 7, 2018 8:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.