*5. Attack on Titan Vol.1
*6. No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular! Vol.1
*7. Black Butler Vol.1
*8. Monster Musume Vol.1
*9. Vampire Knight Vol.17
10. Maximum Ride: The Manga Vol.7

Source: NY Times Manga Best Seller List
Sakana-sanNov 11, 2016 12:35 PM

Submit News × GuidelinesPart of U × Color Your Night × Limelight × Headline˙⊹܀⁺☁︎˚˙⊹⁺.˙⁺
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Nov 22, 2013 9:13 AM
News Team
꙳•❅*°⋆❆.ೃ࿔*:・*❆

Apr 2010
Last Week:

Submit News × GuidelinesPart of U × Color Your Night × Limelight × Headline˙⊹܀⁺☁︎˚˙⊹⁺.˙⁺
Nov 22, 2013 9:16 AM

Sep 2012
Wow, almost 100% fantasy stuff - fortunately there is one eye-catching exception: WataMote! And I surely did not expect Monster Musume would be among the top 10 bestseller in US...
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 22, 2013 9:16 AM

Dec 2011
So none of the new releases from that week got into the top 10
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 22, 2013 9:17 AM

Jun 2011
I have been wondering this for a while now, but don't they have a numerical value on how much they sold?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 22, 2013 9:19 AM

Dec 2011
ToG25thBaam said:
I have been wondering this for a while now, but don't they have a numerical value on how much they sold?

This is the list from the NYTimes, not reports from an industry body, retailers or distributors.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 22, 2013 9:31 AM

Feb 2012
WataMote being there that's pretty surprising. Didn't think people liked that enough especially in the US.
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
Nov 22, 2013 9:43 AM
Jan 2013
Black butler and vampire knight!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! <3
Nov 22, 2013 9:58 AM

Nov 2011
Yay for Watamote :3

Damn, I need to start reading some Yugioh 5d's soon..the anime ended years ago.
Nov 22, 2013 10:19 AM

Jun 2012
wow, sure watamote is selling well in US! (I love the manga since I first started reading it one and half year ago, but I didn't expect other people who is not familiarized with terms such as "otome games", "drama CD", etc to enjoy it this much)

looks like YenPress did a really good job with the translation~

decided, I'm also getting the volume next time in december or january
NemuriNezumiNov 22, 2013 10:24 AM

- I only draw freestyle! -
Nov 22, 2013 12:13 PM

Jan 2011
Snowical said:
*3. Attack on Titan Vol.8

I witnessed AoT's US popularity firsthand yesterday when my co-worker who has never mentioned anything about watching anime/reading manga told me Japan was lucky that they were getting Attack on Titan: Last Wings of Humanity for 3ds in 2 weeks. When talking with him more I learned that AoT was the only anime he has watched outside of Toonami/Adult swim. Also note that this guy didn't know I watched anime either since I hide my powerlevel.

AoT:Last Wings of Humanity trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVeVqtHYHIg
Spike Chunsoft (Dangan Ronpa, Pokemon mystery dungeon) is the publisher so there could be a US release in the future.
VioLinkNov 22, 2013 1:36 PM
[center]
Nov 22, 2013 1:10 PM

Nov 2008
Man yu gi oh is popular
Nov 22, 2013 1:12 PM

Sep 2011
VioLink said:
Snowical said:

I witnessed AoT's US popularity firsthand yesterday when my co-worker who has never mentioned anything about watching anime/reading manga told me Japan was lucky that they were getting Attack on Titan: Wings on Humanity for 3ds in 2 weeks. When talking with him more I learned that AoT was the only anime he has watched outside of Toonami/Adult swim. Also note that this guy didn't know I watched anime either since I hide my powerlevel.

AoT: Wings on Humanity trailer
Spike Chunsoft (Dangan Ronpa, Pokemon mystery dungeon) is the publisher so there could be a US release in the future.
oh no shingeki's popularity here is really weird to me, im having the exact same experiences where people who randomly bring up they love shingeki

Its honestly safe to say shingeki may have broke the cultural barrier like cowboy bebop and DBZ did

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 22, 2013 1:43 PM

Jan 2011
JizzyHitler said:
VioLink said:
Snowical said:

I witnessed AoT's US popularity firsthand yesterday when my co-worker who has never mentioned anything about watching anime/reading manga told me Japan was lucky that they were getting Attack on Titan: Wings on Humanity for 3ds in 2 weeks. When talking with him more I learned that AoT was the only anime he has watched outside of Toonami/Adult swim. Also note that this guy didn't know I watched anime either since I hide my powerlevel.

oh no shingeki's popularity here is really weird to me, im having the exact same experiences where people who randomly bring up they love shingeki

Its honestly safe to say shingeki may have broke the cultural barrier like cowboy bebop and DBZ did

And it will get even bigger once Toonami grabs it.
[center]
Nov 22, 2013 2:15 PM
May 2012
I can't even buy a fucking Manga =_=
Nov 22, 2013 2:17 PM

Sep 2011
VioLink said:
JizzyHitler said:
VioLink said:
Snowical said:

And it will get even bigger once Toonami grabs it.
oh yah it will, lets just hope the dub is good. I mean it probably wont be hard to do that cause its not like any of the characters really had much emotion behind their voices half the time in the japanese

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 22, 2013 3:22 PM

Jul 2009
Mr_Gutts said:
Man yu gi oh is popular

obligitory points at signature.

Yugioh is the current top selling card game by # of cards sold iirc. It isn't so farfetched for any issue of yugioh with a promo to not sell
If your going to complain that Yu-Gi-Oh! Mangas are on the top NY times manga best sellers, you must not realize how popular Card games are(as well as the fact that you get a free card).
Nov 22, 2013 4:52 PM

Aug 2007
I'm behind in the X no Kuni no Alice series... ;___;
I barely bought Cheshire Cat Waltz vol 4, yet i own all of the main story, CCW 1-4, and Bloody Twins.

Need to get a job.
Nov 22, 2013 4:55 PM

Jan 2009
lol YuGiOh is still popular in america i thought Attack on Titan will take over already
Nov 22, 2013 6:39 PM

Aug 2012
j0x said:
lol YuGiOh is still popular in america i thought Attack on Titan will take over already

Well, Yu Gi Oh has been popular for years, yeah? I think it's fine to AoT to take a few more years to take over. It's not like it should get all the limelight, really, but what it's really great for is that the limelight that's being shone on it is also paving a way to introduce many other great series that wouldn't normally have been known outside of Japan and its fanbase because of how other people normally view anime.
Nov 22, 2013 6:40 PM

Sep 2012
lol why does Black Butler vol 1 randomly show up on the list every so often
Nov 22, 2013 8:15 PM

May 2009
Wind_Sr said:
WataMote being there that's pretty surprising. Didn't think people liked that enough especially in the US.

WataMote is one of the few franchises that seems to be more popular in the West than in Japan.

I read that the manga became a huge hit on 4chan and they started importing it. Apparently, the Japanese picked up on this, started buying the manga as well, which eventually resulted in the anime being made.

And now that the manga is licensed, people who wanted to read it in English can do so now. I bought it myself and am very happy I did. It's not exactly a visual masterpiece, but it's entertaining nonetheless. I'm definitely looking forward to getting the upcoming volumes as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 22, 2013 9:01 PM

Feb 2013
I'm still a bit surprised by SnK's immense popularity. It's good, but I woulda never marked it to be such a massive hit. (Shows what I know)

moonstarfireclan said:
lol why does Black Butler vol 1 randomly show up on the list every so often

Black Butler is one of the standard weeaboo-level anime. On the 'any random high school girl with pink hair, a death note t-shirt, a notebook full of bad fanfic, and has seen about a total of five anime' has 100% watched it, loved it, and introduced it to all their friends. Due to this, it's incredibly popular in America.
Nov 22, 2013 9:09 PM
Apr 2013
Beaver897 said:
j0x said:

Well, Yu Gi Oh has been popular for years, yeah? I think it's fine to AoT to take a few more years to take over. It's not like it should get all the limelight, really, but what it's really great for is that the limelight that's being shone on it is also paving a way to introduce many other great series that wouldn't normally have been known outside of Japan and its fanbase because of how other people normally view anime.

As a competitive yugioh player the reason volume 5 sold so well is that the $10 manga has a promo card that is valued at around $25 in it so many people have gone out of there way to get there hands on many of the volume, myself included where ive bought two and still looking for more to collect lol
Nov 22, 2013 9:38 PM

Nov 2013
Ahh yay! I'm glad to see Black Butler got into the top 10. It's one of my top favorites ^.^
Nov 22, 2013 11:28 PM

May 2009
Free $25 card with volume 5 of Yugioh 5ds....not surprising it's selling well
Nov 23, 2013 1:43 AM
Feb 2012
Monster Musume is still hanging in there. =)

I didn't think Watamote would be in the top ten. The anime it seemed did it justice. It wasn't my favourite show but I still really enjoyed watching it.^^
Nov 23, 2013 4:37 AM

Sep 2011
The power of monster girls....
Nov 23, 2013 8:45 AM

Jun 2012
Watamote is terrible, even my own country has shit taste.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 52 minutes ago

4 by nec0_0 »»
38 minutes ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 4 hours ago

7 by malvarez1 »»
51 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by Kushna »»
4 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.