Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2013 4:53 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Holy shit, Mana is pissed LOL, not that I blame her. Pretty violent episode and series overall. I thought they'd be a bit of romance but most of it seems to be overshadowed by the drama and tragedy. Overall, rating it 6/10, maybe 7/10.

The music is glorious in this show tbh.

Lmao @ the ending - "what does having a crush mean"? *face palm*
Nov 11, 2013 12:28 PM

May 2010
No ending whatsoever.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Oct 25, 2014 8:51 AM
Jul 2018
Manas awzumh
Il give it 7 it annyed me how Mana gets captured every single fucking time and too many asspulls
Wished for proper ending tho
removed-userOct 25, 2014 8:55 AM
Jul 2, 2015 5:15 AM

Jul 2014
W-wow O.o that's pretty brutal for the last ep. I find the amount of blood and violence is quite disturbing (which is I never expected from the start). Sure, this is horror series but the early episode never felt like a horror, more like drama/adventure for me.

It was a different sensation watching another side of Takahashi Rumiko's work. I give it 6/10 or 6.5/10, just mediocre, some scenes were memorable, but not great either.
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous"

PROJECT-ERASER
Aug 25, 2015 8:10 AM

Oct 2014
This show had a great potential but they ruined it.
5/10
Oct 8, 2015 9:55 AM

Nov 2008
Yeah wasn't the best of horror, gonna give it 6 or 7.
Nov 29, 2015 12:56 AM

Jul 2008
Had this at an 8 for just the sheer dark, creepy and brutal nature of the series, but a no resolution ending and the psycho kid getting away drops this to a 7 for me.
Mar 8, 2016 5:23 PM

Mar 2015
So that kid has lived for 800 years... and comes up with the bright idea to start over by getting into a bad car wreck? He could easily get decapitated and not come back to life!
Jul 19, 2016 1:31 PM

Dec 2013
So the kid lived 800 yrs and learned how to dominant others and Yuta lived 500 yrs still a dickhead and doesn't even know how to fight. How the kid was able to tie Mana and shoot a gun where that strength come from, why does Yuta lack such strength?? I hate every time Mana let herself got caught and Yuta try to save her. There were some good moments
so 5/10 for me.
Jul 31, 2016 5:41 PM

Feb 2013
800 years and hasn't matured one bit, annoying brat, too bad that they didn't chop his head off.
Mar 7, 2017 8:03 PM

Jan 2012
What an annoying brat , slap him a hard one , 800 years is a bluff.
what a bloody end ep.

Apr 26, 2018 11:43 PM

Dec 2015
It was good i wish it has a proper ending i wish...
Mar 16, 2019 2:28 PM

Jul 2014
lol @ the comments through this whole series. I loved this anime, I think it had potential. The characters were nice, wish it had a better ending.
"That smile was like the sun on a hot summer day...with eyes like ice."
Sep 25, 2019 9:33 PM
Apr 2019
This series had already been discontinued years before this anime adaptation. I cant for the life of me imagine why this fucking director didnt try to give this some sort of closure.
Feb 1, 2020 1:10 PM

Nov 2016
At least I wasn't bored and it had a good soundtrack, but still left a lot to be desired.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 4, 2020 4:01 PM

Oct 2017
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Holy shit, Mana is pissed LOL, not that I blame her. Pretty violent episode and series overall. I thought they'd be a bit of romance but most of it seems to be overshadowed by the drama and tragedy. Overall, rating it 6/10, maybe 7/10.

The music is glorious in this show tbh.

Lmao @ the ending - "what does having a crush mean"? *face palm*
Confucius said:
No ending whatsoever.
Holybum said:
Manas awzumh
Il give it 7 it annyed me how Mana gets captured every single fucking time and too many asspulls
Wished for proper ending tho

More or less all of this, nothing but asspulls, handwaives, and a radically spiralling plot that had no ending and went no where. - It had a few ok moments and was overall just an average as hell horror, like a B rated movie, no thrill really, a few decent parts but it just killed itself and ruined most of the moods it had begun to set with cheesy writing, cheesy endings and all around a cheesed out show...

Swiss kind too! Cause all of them damn plotholes that show up everywhere and every episode lol -
The last few I guess at the least got a bit actiony for their liking but even then, I cannot really say I would ever rewatch this, it was somewhat worth the one watch for the most unique mermaid myth ever turned horror show lmfao

But thats its only merit in reality, that and the fact it got better than episode 1s writing, that could of also been the anime cutting major important scenes and rushing it but if not, then totes malotes worst writing ever or worst directing ever.

For the uniqueness I give it a 5-6, I'll round it to a 6, it kinda earned a 7 some episodes but not enough good episodes to rank it overall higher than 5-6, just because it was mediocre, a B class anime horror show, watch it once, think about what you watched.
Mar 5, 2021 2:49 PM

Feb 2020
Great series, had some really nice idea was thinking of giving it a 8. But then baby Johan (masato) happened in the last 2 episode. My scores dropped to 7. That prick got away. I hate him more than naraku.
Also it lacked a proper ending. Other than that the show was pretty fine.
Kind of dark for rumiko tashashi story, but even early inuyasha was kind of dark too. So not that surprising
AdampkMar 5, 2021 2:53 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 7, 2023 11:43 PM

Jan 2018
This last episode had tons of blood and gore. I don't understand why the rest of the series didn't have as much blood. The rest of the series could've used some more of it. Especially the Village of the Fighting Fish arc which had very bland fight scenes.

I feel like this series was severely held back by its animation. This was made back in 2003 when studios were still transitioning from hand-drawn animation to digital animation. The studio that made this TMS Entertainment (I think I saw a reference to their studio name in one of the previous episodes) was clearly new to digital animation at this point. That or they didn't have enough budget to make an action series.

I think there's something else missing in this series that isn't a criticism of the anime but might relate to the source material. It's that every single episode centers around mermaid flesh in one way or another. At the start of the series, mermaids are described as elusive things that one shouldn't just stumble upon. Yet after rescuing Mana, Yuta just keeps finding mermaid-related issues one after another.

Aside from the flashbacks, the show doesn't really say how much time has passed between each of these adventures (except for the 2-year gap mentioned in Mermaid's Scar) and visibly you can't see any differences either. So it feels like all of those adventures happen one by one with no real gap between them.

I would've liked some episodes that didn't involve mermaids or had other supernatural elements. I also would've liked Yuta and Mana just deal with normal circumstances like a character dying an early death and them pondering about their own mortality, etc.

I think this was a huge missed opportunity. But this might've been because of the manga's sporadic release between 1984 and 1994 despite having only a couple dozen chapters.

Still not a bad show. But I remember reading somewhere that this remake doesn't adapt all of the manga chapters. There were probably some later manga chapters that were skipped.

This kinda thing bothers me a lot. If you're going to make a new TV series then why not just adapt everything especially when the source material is so short and already completed? What was the point of remaking the Mermaid Forest and Mermaid's Scar stories and making them worse when they already had pretty good OVA adaptations? I don't get it.

Although the chances are slim at best, I think a new remake of the entire Mermaid Saga could be great with new animation. Heck, I think the story has potential even as a live-action series if done right.
0451Mar 8, 2023 12:57 AM
Nov 27, 2023 11:56 PM

Jan 2018
Turns out episode 12 and 13 were DVD-only episodes and were probably never broadcast on television. That explains why these episodes have blood and gore while the earlier episodes don't. Such a shame tho.

Good on MAL for updating the entries all these years later. But when are they moving these forum posts to the correct entries now?

Anyway, I still think Mermaid Forest needs a proper remake. Maybe it'll happen after Takahashi ends the manga. Since I heard she still considers it incomplete.
Feb 10, 3:18 PM

Aug 2017
I had a great time watching the Rumic theater, this anime had a cool story but the adaptation ok not the best and not the worst, I actually like the series mermaid's scar chapter more than the OVA, they left Masato's fate a mystery and didn't include Yuta and Mana chasing him with a motorcycle scene because of the damage they received so that's more accurate, and also notified the old lady about Yukie's death and not left it unknown like she ran away from marriage or something,
Now I got intrigued about the other chapters, so I'm gonna head for the manga,
this story really deserve a new adaptation or a live-action.
DekomFeb 10, 3:24 PM

More topics from this board

» i love this anime

saif - Feb 8, 2007

15 by Dekom »»
Feb 10, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Mermaid Forest Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

8 by Dekom »»
Feb 9, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Mermaid Forest Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

8 by Dekom »»
Feb 8, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Mermaid Forest Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

10 by Dekom »»
Feb 4, 3:52 PM

Poll: » Mermaid Forest Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

7 by Dekom »»
Feb 3, 4:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.