Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this character?
Nov 1, 2013 4:30 AM

Nov 2008
Spotlight Character: Rin Kaga (Usagi Drop)

(Inset image of a cute and adorable, but definitely not moe in any shape or form, child here.)

MAL Character Information Page: Rin Kaga

Member Favorites: 583

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with this character discuss what they think makes it an exceptional character. What attributes make it stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character molds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Rin Kaga was NOT inducted into the club Character list:
15 Yes - 21.7%
54 No - 78.3%

15 Don't know this character - 15.2% of the total number polled
15 Abstained - 15.2% of the total number polled
Don_Don_KunJan 5, 2014 12:01 PM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 1, 2013 1:36 PM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
The question comes to mind as to whether to judge the anime or manga version of Rin-chan, at least the last third of the manga.

But for what she is worth in the anime, she is one of the most incredible child characters I've seen in recent anime. Her entire humanity is very down-to-earth and actually seems like an actual little girl would act in the real just from how she is written not only in the story but also her dialogue. It also helps, although this may not be solely based on her actual character, that she provides great chemistry with all the characters, especially with Daikichi. So an absolute yes vote for me!
Nov 1, 2013 1:58 PM

Dec 2012
I liked the fact that she had a child voice actor but that's it. I wouldn't be too surprised if she was inducted if most of the members love her but she is a no for me.
Nov 1, 2013 2:19 PM

Dec 2012
I don't know about manga but she made anime worthwhile.
DrGonzo said it all.

Yes from me.
Nov 1, 2013 2:26 PM

Jan 2009
tsudecimo said:
I liked the fact that she had a child voice actor but that's it. I wouldn't be too surprised if she was inducted if most of the members love her but she is a no for me.

And why is that?

While she does indeed feel very child-like and realistic, I sometimes thought she was way too perfect for a normal child. Sure, she had a tough time and children in her situation tend to mature faster than other kids (clearly visible in her interactions with her friend), whatshisname?), but the way she basically helps her dad to raise her takes a lot away form the child-raising anime she is supposed to be the star in.

Defenseforce assemble plox.
Nov 1, 2013 2:47 PM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
lufforee said:
I don't know about manga but she made anime worthwhile.
It's not as bad as people make it out to be, but it was just really strange. Just look it up and you'll see what I mean.
Nov 2, 2013 4:35 PM

Jul 2013
I've seen the anime so I'm going off of that. I like Rin and I love Bunny Drop. Rin is very human which is great. She really does act like a kid. Does that make her a good character or a just a very realistic character? Yes, a character can be both but it's not always the case. That's what debating about. I'm most likely going to vote "yes" but need some help on smoothing out my reasoning behind it. I'd appreciate some assistance.
Nagisa33Nov 2, 2013 4:41 PM
Nov 2, 2013 4:55 PM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
Nagisa33 said:
I've seen the anime so I'm going off of that. I like Rin and I love Bunny Drop. Rin is very human which is great. She really does act like a kid. Does that make her a good character or a just a very realistic character? Yes, a character can be both but it's not always the case. That's what debating about. I'm most likely going to vote "yes" but need some help on smoothing out my reasoning behind it. I'd appreciate some assistance.
I can understand how people distinguish a good character and a realistic character since the latter can still be bad characters if there's nothing to them other than the fact that they're realistic. For me, it would be safe for me to assume that Rin is more than just being a realistic character in Usagi Drop because of the way she also brings a lot of charm to the show with her wonderful moments that involve her just acting as a free-spirited individual of someone of her own age. In a way she acts sort of a motherly figure to her peers at her school such as in this scene. As a whole she might seem like a simple character due to her realistic nature, but there is this sense of elegance to how she is portrayed. Her everyday child mind is what makes her quite special in her own childlike innocence that also has a maturity essence to it as well that goes with the tone of the show being slice-of-life.
GonzoLewdNov 2, 2013 5:02 PM
Nov 2, 2013 5:32 PM

Apr 2012
danz said:
Sure, she had a tough time and children in her situation tend to mature faster than other kids (clearly visible in her interactions with her friend), whatshisname?), but the way she basically helps her dad to raise her takes a lot away form the child-raising anime she is supposed to be the star in.

+1 This is exactly my complaint when I was watching the TV series. While I could see its inventive approach to parenting and dealing with the related troubles (financially, nurture-wise, the time investment, etc.), the experience did feel saturated with simplicities in order to concentrate on very specific troubles which would similarly be solved with those simplicities. When Daikichi would forget something that may or may not be crucial to a child's development, Rin conveniently bears the burden for him.

However, comparatively, she is by far the most developed and realistic child I've encountered in anime. This may simply be because there aren't very many which concentrate on them, but it does offer merit to her character. She's sort of this perfect child everyone would love to be their daughter, but at the same time this ruins the parenting aspect because she doesn't add very many troubles for you.
Nov 2, 2013 5:47 PM

Jul 2013
nil- said:
danz said:
Sure, she had a tough time and children in her situation tend to mature faster than other kids (clearly visible in her interactions with her friend), whatshisname?), but the way she basically helps her dad to raise her takes a lot away form the child-raising anime she is supposed to be the star in.

+1 This is exactly my complaint when I was watching the TV series. While I could see its inventive approach to parenting and dealing with the related troubles (financially, nurture-wise, the time investment, etc.), the experience did feel saturated with simplicities in order to concentrate on very specific troubles which would similarly be solved with those simplicities. When Daikichi would forget something that may or may not be crucial to a child's development, Rin conveniently bears the burden for him.

However, comparatively, she is by far the most developed and realistic child I've encountered in anime. This may simply be because there aren't very many which concentrate on them, but it does offer merit to her character. She's sort of this perfect child everyone would love to be their daughter, but at the same time this ruins the parenting aspect because she doesn't add very many troubles for you.

I didn't notice that. It seems like that may be a negative for the show and not her character. If anything, Rin helping or pointing things out for Daikichi should be a plus for her character. It's a good trait to assist and be able to handle troublesome situations. That's what I gather anyhow.
Nov 2, 2013 7:03 PM

Apr 2012
Well, the two are connected. If a character hurts the show he or she is in, then the character certainly wouldn't be good anymore with respect to the show. It's equivalent with the desire for flawed characters in fiction. If a character were peerless and solved every problem with the whimsical readiness of all Gary Stus, that perfection infringes upon the story's ability to make any compelling problem, any compelling solution, and hence any compelling insight onto that character himself.
Nov 2, 2013 8:36 PM

Jul 2013
nil- said:
Well, the two are connected. If a character hurts the show he or she is in, then the character certainly wouldn't be good anymore with respect to the show. It's equivalent with the desire for flawed characters in fiction. If a character were peerless and solved every problem with the whimsical readiness of all Gary Stus, that perfection infringes upon the story's ability to make any compelling problem, any compelling solution, and hence any compelling insight onto that character himself.

I see, thank you for explaining. After thinking about it I decided that I'm giving her a "yes". The positives outweigh the minor negatives. She's a great character that made me cry more than a few times.
Nov 3, 2013 12:29 AM

Mar 2010
Some of you sound weird. Why is it so strange that Rin helps Daikichi in her rising? Is it a solid fact that children must be troublesome? Remember, she is a girl. Girls are already far less trouble than boys, even more so with clever girls. And Rin -is- clever for her age.
She might seem too perfect because of the show's lighthearted and sweet approach, but she is by no means an unrealistic character. I've known kids even less troublesome than Rin.
Also, she develops throughout the show. She is more happy, childish and outgoing in the later stages, than she was at the start.

Since I see almost no negative aspects, I give her my confident 'Yes'.
Nov 4, 2013 10:45 AM

Jan 2010
Yes if its anime version only. No answer if it includes time skip version. The mangaka really shat over his/her work in that one.
Nov 4, 2013 4:35 PM

Jul 2013
Dc0 said:
Yes if its anime version only. No answer if it includes time skip version. The mangaka really shat over his/her work in that one.

Speaking of that, which version of Rin are we voting for? I hope it's for the child version. Which version of other characters do we vote for in the future?
Nov 4, 2013 4:56 PM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
I'm guessing if we're voting for the character we should vote for both? I don't know, I mean I would prefer to just judge on the anime version of Rin and not the totally incest crazed one on the Manga version. Though I'm probably one of the few who wasn't bothered by it that much.
Nov 4, 2013 5:03 PM

Jul 2013
Welp, since I saw the anime version I'm voting from that. The adorableness is strong with this one. :)
Nov 4, 2013 5:58 PM

May 2012
I mean this is just yet another problem with the concept of character relations. Rin being in two different versions of the same series is one thing, but what about someone like Char, who is literally in like 20 different things? I doubt that Char is great in each and every one of those works, but at the same time, he's really really maximum greatest to the max (or so I hear, lol) in the things that he is great in. And assuming that he wasn't permainducted, what can stop me as a voter from being like "Well, the only thing that I've seen that has Char in it is this and it is a MAL entry, so I should totally have the right to vote no based off of it."

[color=#f3e7dd]join the quietly discursive at quiet discourse
Nov 4, 2013 7:28 PM

Jul 2013
Hahaha! That's all you need to watch to see Char Aznable being a boss. Though you're right, characters usually aren't fantastic in every iteration and Char is no exception. For Rin, it seems pretty divided based on the version we're talking about.

Is there a thread here addressing questions like this?
Nov 4, 2013 7:36 PM

Sep 2009
twerk_it said:
but what about someone like Char, who is literally in like 20 different things? I doubt that Char is great in each and every one of those works, but at the same time, he's really really maximum greatest to the max (or so I hear, lol) in the things that he is great in

Poor choice of example. He's only actually in three main series titles. The rest are all either condensed retellings, or Omake spinoffs.

...Although at the same time, the only reason Char is inducted is because everyone decided to pretend that Char's Clusterfuck Counterattack never happened.
Nov 4, 2013 7:38 PM

May 2012
Doesn't the commercial that Nagisa and I both linked count though? It's an entry on MAL, and Try Try Try! was enough for Yotsuba.

[color=#f3e7dd]join the quietly discursive at quiet discourse
Nov 5, 2013 2:51 AM

Nov 2008
In Rin's case, it's not so much how the anime adaptation diverges from the manga than the fact the anime simply didn't adapt the part of Usagi Drop which sullies Rin's character, so in this case, I would mostly go off the manga version of Rin, since anyone who looks through our relations will already see the Usagi Drop anime on there, and the manga version of Rin is the more "complete" version of Rin's character, for better or for worse.

Although I would probably end up voting no on Anime Rin, since I haven't read the manga, there's a chance, as unlikely as it may be, that I might find post-timeskip Rin to be a good character, so I will abstain.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Nov 11, 2013 12:07 AM

May 2010
The little girl from My Girl Shizuha already has outdone her in every possible way. Easy no
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 11, 2013 8:49 AM

Feb 2008
A very yes from me. I like her, i like her way to be, i enjoyed her
Nov 11, 2013 11:50 AM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
Confucius said:
The little girl from My Girl Shizuha already has outdone her in every possible way. Easy no
Care to elaborate? This one sentence hardly says anything about what you think of Rin.
Nov 13, 2013 8:57 PM
Mar 2013
Rin Kaga, overall is a very well written character, her thought process portrayed in the anime is highly reminiscent of an intelligent 6-7 year old, and her reactions to her complex social issues such as looks and her family relations, feels all very natural, and not forced at all. She is definitely more mature than other kids her age, although that maybe because of her past issues with her 'mum'.

The only issue I have with Rin is how fast she got used to living with Daikichi, one episode she was this quiet little girl, and the next she was the suddenly so talkative and a bit mischievous.

However this issue is rather small and it doesn't really matter in the long run for this series.
Nov 13, 2013 10:56 PM

Jan 2010
Nagisa33 said:
Hahaha! That's all you need to watch to see Char Aznable being a boss. Though you're right, characters usually aren't fantastic in every iteration and Char is no exception. For Rin, it seems pretty divided based on the version we're talking about.

Is there a thread here addressing questions like this?

You should vote based on your own opinion of how to vote. If you find someone's characterization in one medium to be good enough to vote yes and you are willing to ignore other mediums because it was that good to you, then vote yes. If you can't ignore problems you perceive in other representations despite liking the character well enough in one, vote no. Or any combination thereof. There is no rule stating you have to vote a certain way in any situation.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Nov 13, 2013 11:39 PM

Sep 2010
Its a good character, her child period was very well written, the second part of the manga though she wasnt that great, i liked very much that part of the manga too, but she has the spotlight in the first part (felt like a real child), in the second part, she was a well written character, but i felt her a little simplified (being a teenager) for the sake of moving forward the plot. still much better and well written than a lot of ''real'' teenagers that we usually see in manga and anime.
Nov 14, 2013 10:28 PM

May 2010
Gonzo-kun said:
Confucius said:
Care to elaborate? This one sentence hardly says anything about what you think of Rin.

A forgettable and unrealistic character. I am not saying the girl from Shizuha is perfect (nor would I induct her), I am simply saying the show tries too hard with this character.

In the words of Jigoku-n3ko, Usagi drop is a "parenting manual" and she and every other character in this show was simply its instrument.

If you want a more "realistic" kid, read Kodomo no Omocha. Yes their ages are different, but Kodomo no Omocha handles the parenting thing much better.
Nov 15, 2013 8:13 PM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
Confucius said:
Gonzo-kun said:
Confucius said:

A forgettable and unrealistic character. I am not saying the girl from Shizuha is perfect (nor would I induct her), I am simply saying the show tries too hard with this character.

In the words of Jigoku-n3ko, Usagi drop is a "parenting manual" and she and every other character in this show was simply its instrument.

If you want a more "realistic" kid, read Kodomo no Omocha. Yes their ages are different, but Kodomo no Omocha handles the parenting thing much better.
All of which I would find disagreeable. She's no different from a lot of kids that I've come across in my lifetime so to say she's an unrealistic character is a bit contrived. Also this notion that she and every character is simply its instrument, isn't that the point of what the characters are for a show? They all seemed very human from how great the writing is.
GonzoLewdNov 15, 2013 8:17 PM
Nov 15, 2013 10:22 PM

May 2010
Gonzo-kun said:
All of which I would find disagreeable. She's no different from a lot of kids that I've come across in my lifetime so to say she's an unrealistic character is a bit contrived.

Yes, and she is very different from a lot of kids that I have come across in my lifetime. Comparing Reina Maeda from the same show, the unnatural maturity is clear.

Also this notion that she and every character is simply its instrument, isn't that the point of what the characters are for a show? They all seemed very human from how great the writing is.

This just means they don't stand out and they are weak characters. Strong characters shouldn't need to be completely tied down by the story.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.