Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »
Sep 6, 2014 11:13 AM

Sep 2012
So dramatic episode but it was fun.
I'm glad they're one team again. I just felt bad for Rei watching them.
They all saw the light and they're Free!
Lol, Rin practicing to introduce himself.
Is Haru gonna say "I'm Free"? Its a cliffhanger haha
Everyone is happy now and Smiling :)
I'll watch the 2nd season right after it finish.
Sep 6, 2014 11:15 AM

Sep 2012
n-anashii said:
Very enjoyable and the final picture at the end really made me smile.

Yeah, they're all happy, except Haru haha
Sep 12, 2014 6:29 PM

Aug 2014
The last episode was awesome! I hope the second season wiil be great than the first one. Rei, Rin, Nagisa, Makoto and Nanase, I'm looking to see you soon :)
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Sep 18, 2014 9:11 PM

Jan 2014
Wow. Oh the drama. What did I just watch? Poor Rei.

"And after that emotional performance, you were disqualified." XD Best line in the whole show.
Oct 31, 2014 6:50 AM

Aug 2014
''For the team''
Nov 19, 2014 11:50 AM

Aug 2007
Well that was a rather predictable ending to a predictable, but otherwise fun, show. For what this was worth, it did accomplish everything it set out to do and for that I enjoyed it. I do think Rei deserves a break though. The kid has clearly been trying his best and quite literally took one "for the team." I don't entirely understand Rin's reasoning even now, but all seems well and Haru seems to be forgiving, so I guess it's okay.

6/10

Will probably watch the next after I take a break from all these high school dramatics.
Jan 6, 2015 11:03 AM

Oct 2013
This anime teaches us about friendship ! i love it, and the moment when Rin joined the relay with Haru and the others i was like, is that even legal ? well at the end they got disqualified but they made a good memory and that brought them back together,

This show is all about FRIENDSHIP not Yaoi, guys please learn the difference

Overall score 7/10, now onto the 2nd season !
Jan 12, 2015 5:07 PM

Jul 2013
I dropped this show many times before I reach 6th episode. But after episode 7 I just can't stop watching it until finished, lol. I love the drama and the comedies from episode 7 onwards (I felt too much useless pandering before that episode).

It's a nice show. Not many sports show that give us "Winning isn't everything" message in the end. Definitely not the best sport anime but I still love it for giving that.

Lol can't imagine Samezuka's swimmers' face when they see Rin in Iwatobi's line. (EHHH U WOT MATSUOKAAA?! DAMN U TRAITOR BASTARD 0A0 .....they will likely be disqualified tho.)
Feb 8, 2015 11:07 PM

Sep 2013
Thank God they saved that ending by disqualifying them, would of felt so forced if they didn't. Feel they could of gone about it different though :P

Feel sorry for Rei but hopefully he plays a bigger part in season 2!!
Feb 18, 2015 7:44 AM

Sep 2014
That Nitori was so annoying whole season >_<

Nice Rin is back :)
Mar 26, 2015 3:13 PM

Jan 2014
Ah, such a great ending! I had so many emotions during this episode, but I was so happy when Rin turned to his childhood-self. I felt very sorry for Rei and that gray-haired Rin's teammate thought. But everything's well that ends well! Season 2, here I come!!
Jun 8, 2015 11:06 PM
Oct 2012
This anime was pretty ok. The characters get overdramatic a little too often for my taste, and the story is a bit generic. I probably wouldn't have kept watching if I hadn't taken such a liking to Nagisa.
Jul 4, 2015 1:15 AM

Aug 2014
Yeah the anime was full of yaoi references (that was a gaymove), but if you are a man you endure it and value the good moments, because let's be honest, it had plenty.

8/10 for me, it made me smile even if it wasn't meant for the male fanbase.
Jul 5, 2015 6:35 PM

Dec 2009
Can't go wrong with so much fanservice <3.
Jul 9, 2015 3:12 PM

Nov 2012
This was a fun last episode for this anime. It has managed to live beyond my expectations as a swimming anime. The animation was fluid (hahaha) and beautiful to watch the motions of swimming like the strokes and kicks. Also, seeing Rin cry was hilarious.
Jul 15, 2015 10:07 PM
May 2015
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Aww, Rei bringing the good mood back again.

Dat fight. I kinda expected it between Rin and Haruka. I knew I'd see a swim competition in this finale though. I was looking forward to it as well~ that was sweet. I saw a bro hug there as well :3. FOR THE TEAM.

Damn, I'm going to miss this show in a way. No more shirtless guys swimming or bro moments.
this show is sexist to men
Aug 24, 2015 3:15 PM

Aug 2010
Nice ending for this anime. Not into sports, but gave this a try for a change.

I didn't expect that much drama for the anime though, so I think it was great on how they wrap up everything in the end. As a guy, I agree with some post here. Some people don't understand friendship between men. I can totally relate to characters like Rei. I just remember my swimming PE before. Swimming is really fun ^^

Since I started late, might as well pick the Season 2 and then Kuroko afterwards. Sports anime isn't bad afterall :)

Lastly, I like how KyoAni do their thing. I first remember Haruhi Suzumiya. It was damn good!
RaysterAug 25, 2015 3:17 AM
Sep 7, 2015 8:57 PM

Apr 2013
I love swimming and that was the main reason I watched the show but it ended up being very average and generic. Characters were flat and cliche and plot didn't really progress well and was very predictable (well this kind of show usually sticks to the popular generic formula to keep the fans happy and sell well and I think Free! manages to hit all the right buttons in that regard and keep the target audience happy) but I really think they could have done more with this platform and budget and still attract the main audience's attention. So in my opinion, they ended up being lazy and just did the bare minimum necessary to make money, which is sad. Despite all that, the animation/production was great as expected from KyoAni. 5/10
Dec 23, 2015 1:25 PM
Jul 2018
Whaaaaat????

A yaoi-ish anime, and I ended up liking it?

WOW. I came here to watch this with very LOW expectations, but... the last episodes were sooooo good OMG. I can't believe I like this. One of the best lighthearted show over there. 9/10.
Jan 16, 2016 2:12 PM

Apr 2013
There were a lot of wtf moments in this for me lol

It was so funny seeing the illusions xD

Feb 6, 2016 4:43 AM

Apr 2015
"For the team"

THE FEELS.

THE FEELS IN THIS EPISODE.

I need more Makoto.

7.5/10. Not bad for a swimming anime. Will watch season two asap. I honestly expected Free! to have more swimming than talking, but whatever. Next will be Kuroko no Basuke, and then Haikyuu. Hopefully I'll be into sports anime in the future.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Feb 6, 2016 11:44 AM

Jun 2010
Awesome right and awesome race! <3
Rin is sexy <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 10, 2016 10:55 PM

Mar 2012
this was the most predictable episode ever, but even being that, it was a nice ending for a very good series.
i can say i love free! and its characters to pieces [some more, some less, but all of them. maybe not nitori, though] and i'm gonna rewatch this again and again knowing that i'll get this same warm feeling when i end it every time. <3

[and i can't believe i actually teared up to this episode. never admitting that.]
Apr 4, 2016 6:58 AM
Nov 2015
Rei is the best sidekick ever, good communication, straight-forward, knows what's wrong and when to voice his problems, fun not moody, and gives a lot.

Seriously, this has the one of anime's worst leads ever. That Haru guy just mouths off embarrassing remarks about freedom (which in the end boils down to??? and along the way he is seriously never freeeeee?). He just takes never gives, and the only saving point is after having lessons and advices hammered into his head and Rin's head, 2 unlikeable characters finally combine and make their duo a little bit bearable.

If they don't realize they need the team-bond and get over their angst and mood, they're absolutely worst, but then again, better animes would solve their problem at ep 6 or so, or let their characters blame themselves a bit, question themselves a bit instead of blaming other people and circumstances)
Feb 24, 2017 5:48 AM

Jan 2017
I'm still curious why Rin's teeth are sharp.

Anyway, this anime isn't that bad. The ending got me smiling. :)
Sorry for my English.
Mar 13, 2017 7:01 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
All happy and ate partridges....ummm desquialificated!!! i thinkwas a small punishment!!! But this is anime, and don´t reality!!!!

This first season was boring, and this last episode was a fairy tail!!!!

4/10.
Jul 5, 2017 11:53 AM

Jan 2013
I'm done rewatching and I cried even harder why. xdd
My first score was 6/10 but after rewatching it's 7/10. I love them so much.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Oct 13, 2017 4:08 AM

Oct 2015
I loved this anime and the end was very good but they messed up in the end when they included Rin in that relay only to get them disqualified. I hope season will bring it. 7/10
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 5, 2018 6:59 AM
May 2016
I gota say this one was my least favorite episode. Maybe is the music, maybe it's the anticlimactic ending, but for me all that excellent character development was gone.
Mar 18, 2018 5:12 AM
Mar 2018
Unfortunately, this episode killed Free to me. I mean, Rei deserved better... they four (Rei, Nagisa, Makoto and Haru) were training so hard to get to this episode event and when the time comes the writers decided to go like "Oh no, wait, Rin can still be redeemed and let's get HIM (a guy who was constantly trying to beat them all in the exam, a guy who let pride take over his own intents and did not want to swim with them for pure pride) to swim with the rest of the team for old time's sake" Yeah. Well done whoever wrote this episode.

It's saddening because I really was enjoying the dinamic of the show. However, this BS they decided to play in this episode killed the whole thing for me.
#REIDESERVESBETTER

P.S: Rei was also feeling left out a couple episodes, but let's also put RIN to swim with the OG again, am I right? ¬¬
Oct 2, 2018 5:31 PM

Aug 2017
So, Rei changes with Rin but they were disqualified lol. I like how the final episode finished the drama between Rin and the rest of the group. I'm glad that Rei has been contributing substantially in the last couple of episodes.

Overall, it was a very good sport anime. It deals friendship and hard work in a satisfactory way. They told me that is a yaoi bait, I do not agree. If that were true, then Keijo!!!!!! is a yuri bait.

It was a wonderful show. 8/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 4, 2018 2:52 PM
Sep 2018
Really would love to swim free, I'm more like Rei and sink like a rock XD It was really good, love the relationship between them all, especially haru and Rin, love it, proper bromance/shounen XD feel a bit bad for Rei, I really like him, love the English dub actor J Michael Tatum, same guy who voices Sebastian out of Black butler.
Caz loves yaoi
Jan 30, 2019 6:31 PM
Apr 2016
Well, the drama was like crazy intense, love it! Though, it's not focused on swimming, at all literally... Oh well
Mar 8, 2019 10:14 AM

Sep 2018
Ah! Had it not been so boring for the first part, because of all those whining, the episoid as a whole would have been more than good both in terms of plot and storytelling, given that after swimming, the concepts expressed were deep and closed the circle, giving a nice final season.
However, overall, this anime series, I was not very passionate, so I close here the experience made with this TV series; perhaps because after so many years my tastes have changed, I do not say radically, but much compared to the past.

7/10
Mar 24, 2019 12:56 PM

Jul 2016
Uhm, I personally doubt Rin can become an olympic swimmer with such weak psychological state, too fragile for an athlete if I'm honest but well... that said, I must say that despite how exaggerated his outbursts were, Rin was probably my favorite character in this show with Rei being in second place.

That aside, I didn't like how the conflict was solved, being honest. Basically Rin didn't give a fuck about his current team and not to mention that excluding Rei from the relay after all the efforts he put into becoming a better swimmer during the previous eps. was just... not right. I'm sure there were other ways to solve the problem but this one sure wasn't the best.

Also, Rin's coach forgiving him just like it wasn't nothing was pretty unrealistic. He said he wanted him to swim as good as he did with Haru and co. but that will never happen since Rin's motivation is to swim ALONGSIDE his friends, not with Nitori nor the other club members we didn't even get to know...

Overall, it was an average conclusion to an average "spokon" anime. 5/10

P.S.: The animation of the water during this episode was gorgeous tho.
Mar 30, 2019 2:07 PM

Jun 2017
So glad they swam together in the end though I did feel bad Rei didn't get to after all his training. I would have also enjoyed this more if it wasn't just about Haru and Rin most of the time, but about all of them as a team. 7/10 (I might change my score idk)
Apr 19, 2019 10:05 PM

Apr 2015
Wow-- watched the whole thing in one sitting. I like the character development. Really like the relationship between Haru and Makoto. I love the ending, it deserves an award!! Such a refreshing anime to watch.

Kinda felt weird about leaving Rei out of the last race. And the freaking fake "Rin transferring to our class" got me so hard omg. I almost screamed and was instantaneously disappointed that it was a bait.

This show reminded me a lot of Chihayafuru haha!

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
Apr 20, 2019 2:38 PM

May 2016
after nearly 3 years of being in my list I finally finished the first season probably gonna watch the sequels in the summer I mean this is summer must I guess.

this episode was plain beautiful last ep 9/10
overall 7/10
Jun 27, 2019 11:56 PM

May 2019
In general, the season was not bad, but it was the worst ending.
First, the whole team begged Rei to swim and then they simply ignored him and told foolish stories about Rin and in the end they left Rei behind.
It seems to me that this is not at all like friendship and teamwork. They threw Ray, who shed sweat and trained with them for the senses of an old "friend" who didn't care about them.
Oct 21, 2019 6:49 PM

Jun 2014
That was really something for Rei to sacrifice his chance in order for Rin to be able to swim with Haruka again, but it was well worth it, even if they did all get disqualified, because there's always next year.

This was a lot of fun to watch. I should've watched this years ago. I'll definitely pick it up on Blu-ray someday.

Oct 20, 2020 5:56 PM

Jan 2014
Adorable ending, it was nostalgic to rewatch this series. My first score of 7/10 still stands, it’s a hella cringy anime but has beautiful art and sound, and overall accomplished what it set out to do. I have mixed feelings on the yaoi pandering, it’s almost part of the charm of the show but queerbaiting is never cool

onto s2! if my memory serves me well, this is where it gets really good ^_^
Jan 12, 2021 2:45 PM

Oct 2020
this is one more show to the "I like queerbaiting if it entertains me" list
Feb 6, 2021 12:34 AM
Jun 2019
are they stupid or something?
Feb 12, 2021 2:35 PM
Mar 2018
rei was the best fucking character. he has worked hard to learn how to swim and his efforts were just blown off last episode by the red haired hoe of a swimmer. rei supremacy.
rin is a bitch
Aug 11, 2021 3:23 PM
Sep 2018
The episode was I think perfect, seeing the four together again made me so happy.They can win everything together... but it made me a bit sad for Rei. But it doesn't matter, they will be a good team again.

FOR THE TEAM
Dec 4, 2021 12:20 PM
Apr 2021
This first season was pretty good. I like the characters it was funny, and it had emotional moments. Probably an 8/10

Dec 7, 2021 7:43 PM
Dec 2017
great series overall

Feb 2, 2022 3:17 PM

Mar 2021
For the mess it was becoming, this was a really nice ending that resolved pretty much everything.

Idk about you but I interpreted wanting to swim with someone in particular as liking them bc that's the only thing that makes sense.

Somehow clever how they shot 2 birds with one stone with this anime being obscene queerbating and fanservice. If they just admitted to their feelings like normal people it would have been a smoother and better story.

7/10
Mar 31, 2022 7:57 AM

Feb 2020
So much drama again, but I'm glad Rin and Rei finally made up.

The race was pretty awesome, even though they got disqualified.

Aww, that hug. :)

Overall, this was a very good and entertaining first season. Definitely better than I expected.
Apr 9, 2022 6:17 PM
Mar 2019
Not a fan of Guys with no shirts in Speedo's, but this wasn't bad.
The relationships were more Obsession than Friendship.
Always thought there was something more between them.
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »

More topics from this board

» Free! shows demographic matters more than ever

Sanjay63773 - Jan 23

8 by Yaoi4U »»
Apr 3, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Free! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lpf - Jul 24, 2013

315 by Luisito14 »»
Mar 21, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2013

145 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2013

170 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2013

102 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 5:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.