Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 1 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 5, 2013 7:13 AM

Jan 2012
Aah well it was okay imo... not sure if I'll continue to watch this or not...
Jul 5, 2013 7:14 AM

Aug 2009
All the girls are hot Lol

Besides that, as suspicious as that fat guy is from the looks, he even said before his introduction that there are 15 people and that "This is everyone." Even just that being said he is suspicious.

P.S. Ppl saying it is fast now are gunna cry when it starts slowin down. Always gatta hate.
[right]

Jul 5, 2013 7:23 AM

May 2013
porkypink said:

Besides that, as suspicious as that fat guy is from the looks, he even said before his introduction that there are 15 people and that "This is everyone." Even just that being said he is suspicious.

P.S. Ppl saying it is fast now are gunna cry when it starts slowin down. Always gatta hate.

It IS fast, compared to the game. From the introduction, till Maizono breakdown. The exploration was rushed(had to go everywhere in the game, with Maizono I think, the sword in Naegi's bedroom was found on the room before the Gym, when Maizono and Naegi went there. Wasn't show in the anime)The introductions was somewhat rushed.

It'll slow down once it gets to the juicy parts, but saying "IT'S FAST" doesn't automatically mean we hate it. People who've played the game can notice that some parts were omitted.
Jul 5, 2013 7:25 AM

Apr 2013
Damn this looks very good. This show reminds me of Mirai Nikki :D

And that bears laugh is annoying.
Jul 5, 2013 7:25 AM

Aug 2009
Oh and forgot to mention, DORAEMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON.
[right]

Jul 5, 2013 7:26 AM

May 2010
hu hu hu hu hu hu ha ha ha ha ih ih ih ih hehehehe aha aha uhu!

they really put every damn anime stereotype into that school ^^

loving it tho :D
Jul 5, 2013 7:30 AM

Sep 2011
porkypink said:
Hell yah sakura is a sexy babe

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 5, 2013 7:31 AM

Jul 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
porkypink said:

I don't care if you were being sarcastic or not, this is so true.
Jul 5, 2013 7:33 AM

Sep 2011
MaffleWaffle said:
Not that spoilery compared to the psp trailer.
oh man that was a really shitty op just because of that spoiler it gives, thankfully the 2nd games op just shows how someone will die and not who dies

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 5, 2013 7:40 AM

Apr 2013
We pretty much know that Celestia is bad news when she tries to set up a rule of her/their own. Besides, having red eyes and black clothing aren't exactly good news.
Can't wait for the next episode
Jul 5, 2013 7:41 AM

May 2011
Wow, that was insanely fun! Finally, a game adaption I can really get into. >:)
Loving that ED too!

DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
porkypink said:

I didn't even think that was a girl at first. o.o

Oh well, my favorite would definitely be Sayaka. Expecting her to die early. :P
Jul 5, 2013 7:45 AM

May 2012
That was kinda...underwhelming.

Are the games better?
Jul 5, 2013 7:46 AM

May 2011
Not exactly what I was expecting. I guess it'll take me some time to get used to all these crazy personalities the characters have, but it seems interesting enough for me to keep watching.
Jul 5, 2013 7:48 AM

May 2013
vampko said:
That was kinda...underwhelming.

Are the games better?

Very much so. The english translation was released just recently, and it's high quality. The Class Trials are incredibly well done, and if you're a fan of Phoenix Wright, you'll feel right at home.
Jul 5, 2013 7:51 AM

Apr 2013
Hahaha, it's so funny to read the anime-only viewers' reactions here. They're interesting.

Very faithful adaptation, and that's a good starting point, at least.

Incredibly stoked that they kept the original music, while mixing in the new tracks.
Jul 5, 2013 7:52 AM

Jun 2011
oh yay. Another stupid anime.

1/5
Jul 5, 2013 8:00 AM

Apr 2013
Really good adaptation, I have to say I'm impressed. Though as many have previously stated, it feels super rushed, and that's where my problem lies. It should be longer than those 13eps, we're almost on the first murder case, and there's just not enough incentive to care about those characters (who are about to die).
Also I didn't really like that they skipped the scene where Naegi takes the golden sword, instead it just happens to sit in his room already.
Still, I'm thoroughly enjoying this anime and can't wait for the next episode.
Jul 5, 2013 8:00 AM

Feb 2012
Ever since the game was patched that I've been playing it like a madman, so I knew what was coming and felt really scared because notsogooddirector. Anyway... It actually wasn't all that bad! It was a bit rushed, but I'll give them that because.. yeah, 13 episodes. The sword will probably be explained as Maizono's doing or it won't be explained at all and they'll just say the sword was already there.
The most awkward thing, tho, is that they skipped Free Time, so became really wierd to see Naegi say he would protect her and whatnot since we didn't see any interaction between him and Maizono. Anyway, maybe I'm being too demanding, but we'll see.

One thing I like about Seiji Kishi is how he adapts some game elements into the anime without making it feel forced. The intro with the journey to space, the "to be continued", the IDs, they're like little easter eggs. And he even left the original opening and some of the poses (especially for Fukawa). And they've kept some of the OSTs.

Oh... AND THE ENDING WAS AWESOME.

4/5
Jul 5, 2013 8:02 AM

Aug 2009
Ambient_ said:
oh yay. Another stupid anime.

1/5

[right]

Jul 5, 2013 8:08 AM

Jan 2013
Good first episode.
It's easy to tell it was adapted from a videogame.
4/5
Jul 5, 2013 8:14 AM

Jun 2008
DanganRonpa the anime, it's like playing the game minus the walking around school randomly.

Already finished the game last week. So, far it's still sticking closely to the game, they even used the same OP.

Kitchiri said:
I think you shouldn't expect too highly from this director. This is the same man who directed the recently reviled abomination that is Devil Survivor 2: The animation..

There's a large difference with this and Devil Survivor 2 though. Danganronpa is a very linear game, Devil Survivor 2 is not.
kaimaxJul 5, 2013 8:25 AM

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Jul 5, 2013 8:27 AM

Oct 2011
A pretty average pilot episode for me. The characters just don't seem to have enough charm to make me care for them yet. It also doesn't help that the antagonist has an annoying voice, and that laugh is beyond irritating. Even worse, his reasoning for confining the kids is just lame, not to mention unoriginal. On the plus side, I do like the survival theme premise [even though it's becoming way too common lately]. Hopefully, they'll make the characters likable in the subsequent episodes.

Jul 5, 2013 8:32 AM

Sep 2011
kaimax said:

Kitchiri said:
I think you shouldn't expect too highly from this director. This is the same man who directed the recently reviled abomination that is Devil Survivor 2: The animation..

There's a large difference with this and Devil Survivor 2 though. Danganronpa is a very linear game, Devil Survivor 2 is not.
And while Dr isnt short it is considerably shorter than devil survivor is which is also a good sign

Dashiawia said:
his reasoning for confining the kids is just lame, not to mention unoriginal.
Just wait and see, thats all ill say, theres alot of reveals waiting to happen especially near the end, as long as the adaptation doesnt fuck them up

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 5, 2013 8:43 AM
Jul 2018
Haven't played the game, but after watching the first ep I'm really liking the concept.

This remind anyone else of Bokurano?
Jul 5, 2013 8:45 AM

Apr 2013
kaimax said:
DanganRonpa the anime, it's like playing the game minus the walking around school randomly.

Already finished the game last week. So, far it's still sticking closely to the game, they even used the same OP.

Kitchiri said:

That quote from Kitchiri was supposed to be him quoting me. I was saying not to expect too much (originality) from the director. Mentioned Devil Survivor 2 as a frame of reference, and then complimented on him that he has done good in the past.
Danga Ronpa is linear, I can vouch on that because I've played it myself. ^^;
Well, I /am/ worried about the man's credibility, thanks to his recent work.
MrOCDJul 5, 2013 8:50 AM
Jul 5, 2013 8:46 AM

Jun 2013
dustcity said:

It did, MonoKuma= Koemushi. fifteen teenagers and the feeling of despair.
Jul 5, 2013 8:48 AM

Mar 2012
I don't play the game but had high expectations for this because I enjoy crazy characters killing each other and stuff.
It makes me wonder why people are so hyped about this though and the overly positive comments... I honestly didn't feel anything. No excitement whatsoever.
So yeah... I'm disappointed. The characters are cliche and some are simply annoying. And the eyes distracts me... >__<
Going to continue watching though
Jul 5, 2013 8:50 AM
May 2012
MONOKUMA <33333333333
Jul 5, 2013 8:57 AM

Jul 2011
Im pretty pumped to see the rest of the series. I do have a soft place in my heart for survival game animes
Jul 5, 2013 8:57 AM

Sep 2011
aisora said:
I don't play the game but had high expectations for this because I enjoy crazy characters killing each other and stuff.
It makes me wonder why people are so hyped about this though and the overly positive comments... I honestly didn't feel anything. No excitement whatsoever.
So yeah... I'm disappointed. The characters are cliche and some are simply annoying. And the eyes distracts me... >__<

The real question is why do you think everyone loves this so much because of the very start of the game and not all the stuff to come. It gets better but this adaption is very likley to just fuck it up cause the start is really rushed

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 5, 2013 9:02 AM
May 2013
Hmm...Ok episode i think, even tho its little bit rushed....

I hope it doesn't end like Desu 2.....
Jul 5, 2013 9:04 AM

Sep 2011
Zeis said:

lol it might, actually its bordering on likely just cause of the director and script writer

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 5, 2013 9:04 AM
May 2012
Zeis said:

Yeah that was...ugh
Jul 5, 2013 9:10 AM

Apr 2012
I think this might be a good survival anime. I can't wait for the next episode ^^
Jul 5, 2013 9:18 AM

May 2012
Looks promising, hopefully it doesn't end up like Mirai Nikki.
Jul 5, 2013 9:22 AM
Oct 2007
WTF was that? Pedobear Two Face? Is that programmer a trap? Is idol girl going to be a yandere?
Jul 5, 2013 9:22 AM

Feb 2013
I think that was great!!! The animation is beautiful and the storyline is a little typical though, with the whole fight-to-the-death idea. It reminds you of The Hunger Games and Mirai Nikki lol

Doesn't anyone think Celestia reminds you of Kurumi from Date A Live? I don't know her black hair, red eyes, lolita style...

I'm so looking forward to this show this season :D
Jul 5, 2013 9:30 AM

May 2013
I am liking this.
Jul 5, 2013 9:31 AM

May 2012
00:56 Tsuu feisu no kuma?

04:07 male or female?

05:13 Toukochan <3

05:40 Naegi ja nai, Negi desu.

06:40 henjin ga ippai, and what's with all these childish-anime-style kyara dezain?

07:09 kumagoe?

09:29 Teh KR toh!

18:43 STHU, Kururugi Suzaku

Ufufufufu.
Meh, horrible pacing.

I'm guessing Maizono Sayaka'd be the killer.

Never played the game. But, this adaptation is like a joke version of Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Escape, a real masterpiece, which's also by Spike Chunsoft.
ShirubaasouruJul 5, 2013 11:07 AM
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jul 5, 2013 9:33 AM

Dec 2012
MahouMagica said:
dustcity said:

It did, MonoKuma= Koemushi. fifteen teenagers and the feeling of despair.

Yeah. Whatever material Sayaka is, Monokuma's laughter when she started crying in despair was creepy and ugly.
Jul 5, 2013 9:35 AM
Oct 2007
Mari must have been training for all these years for a rematch with A-Ko
Jul 5, 2013 9:42 AM

Oct 2010
Dat laugh at the ending was annoying.. I hope this doesn't end like DS2 or Mirai Nikki.. (MC vs all instead of all vs all)

Let's imply that 14 will die.. in 13 eps(well 12 now).. kinda rushed if you ask me.
Jul 5, 2013 9:44 AM

Apr 2012
i can understand how people who have never watched the walkthrough wouldnt really like the anime as much, but as someone who has gone through the whole game on the Something Awful forums...
THIS ANIME IS FUCKING GREAT.
Everything is so true to the game! They keep the voice actors, OSTs, some of the same exact dialogue... It honestly brought out the inner fangirl inside of me.
I am SUPER excited to keep watching this, although I'm curious as to how they'll fit the entire storyline in only 13 episodes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2013 9:45 AM
Dec 2012
The plot a bit reminded me of the Classroom of Truth from the 8th episode of Bakuman 3. And both disclosed human nature and survival instinct.
The art style felt like 70s anime. Homage to old anime? And the fist 1 min segment felt like a music vid of techno.
The character design is meh and strange. Is it intentional? Like characters of Katanagatari?

It was an interesting episode. I liked their approach to human nature. Maybe it will turn out a deep and epic anime. Also I liked the art style.
Jul 5, 2013 9:45 AM

Jan 2010
AH YES IT IS FINALLY HEAR LORD THANK YOU
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SAKURA, CELES I THINK IM GONNA CRY
im looking through all the assumptions from people who havent read/played the game and im laughin omg yall silly
Jul 5, 2013 9:51 AM

Sep 2012
aisora said:

Pretty much this. I feel like I've read a better version of a similar premise in this mediocre manga http://myanimelist.net/manga/28184/Life_is_Money
I'll follow it, but hope it becomes more legitimately psychological. It's pretty shallow right now.
Jul 5, 2013 10:00 AM
Mar 2010
Never played the game, but this first episode was kind of a let-down. Expected it to be...something better?
The character designs for one thing aren't my thing.
Too many characters in one episode.
Main lead seems typical.
Female lead(is she the female lead?) seems typical as well.
The only bright side in the whole episode was the end.

Again, don't go bashing me because like I said, I've never played the game. I'll stick with it for 3-4 episodes but if it doesn't get better I'll drop it just like how I dropped Devil Survivor 2.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jul 5, 2013 10:01 AM

Jun 2010
First episode seems promising. I hope it doesn't go downhill after this like DS2. Seiji is a hit and miss but I'm not sure if he can make this series successful with just 13 episodes.

I have not played the game so don't know what to expect but this series sure has the most interesting plot among the Summer Line-up. I like the story and the characters. I hate that it didn't explain even a little about the setting outside the school. Also the MC being pathetic is a minus. Would have been better if there's a background story or at least more information about the characters. Sure they can do it later but I doubt they would seeing the show has only 13 episodes. So how would I care who dies or who lives if I don't give a shit about the characters just because I don't know them. Well, if they are planning to finish the series in just one season then fuck... such a waste. Really, just looking at the characters and the plot I can say that this series have a lot of potential. I hope it all goes well.

I like the art and the OST. I am expecting a lot from Kyouko Kirigiri. Hiyocchi <3 I love the characters but I hope Ishimaru and Fukawa ( even though she is being voiced by Miyuki :( ) dies soon. I actually might find a way to play the game if this adaptation can't satisfy me.

Good episode overall, looking forward for more.
Jul 5, 2013 10:01 AM

Jul 2012
Interesting Artstyle
Terrible Character designs
Interesting story but very shallow handled so far
Characters are 99.9999% Stereotypes but fun to watch
Good music

Will probably a fun anime to watch, but most likely really stupid.
Anyways so far I like it and hope it stay interesting.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2013

435 by Ricky16 »»
8 hours ago

» how should i watch Danganronpa ?

TheAdo - Dec 29, 2016

19 by InstantRamenKing »»
Feb 9, 10:20 PM

» whats up with Kyoko Kirigiri hands?

EagleEd - Jan 13, 2018

5 by kaamsas »»
Jan 13, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2013

148 by berlinza6as »»
Jan 7, 2:07 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2013

263 by Gator »»
Sep 13, 2023 8:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.