Forum Settings
Forums
New
What is the worth of REAL?
It is made of excellence and deserves to be on our Enlightenment list.
35.7%
It is too unremarkable to be on either of our lists.
0.0%
It is vastly overrated and deserves to be on our Relations list.
7.1%
I have not read this manga, but can you imagine all the bad puns we could make with its name? Click for approval!
57.1%
14 votes
Jun 30, 2013 9:03 PM

Oct 2012
REAL is now up for vote. Decide if it will drive to the hoop of Enlightenment or if it will be counted as FAKE in our Relations. You get it? 'Cause it's called REAL, so if it loses, it'll be FAKE. You know what, forget I said anything. . .

RULES:
1. You can only vote for a title if you've finished watching/reading it. You must’ve read or watched at least 60% of the published content for unfinished titles. There might be exceptions for very long finished titles – they are decided on a case by case basis, but usually amount to more than half of the published content.

2. Write your vote at the very top of your comment.

3. Below your vote, give a substantial explanation to back it up. It doesn't have to be lengthy; it just needs to cover the points you want to make.

4. If you have only read/watched the adaption/source material of the respective nominee, please state so in your post.

5. It will take a minimum of 5 votes for either Enlightenment or Relations to make it into any of the lists as an anime (3 votes for manga). If it fails to reach that, it will be deemed Unremarkable.

6. The votes for Enlightenment will have to outnumber the votes for Unremarkable and Relations for it to be included in our list; the same goes for Relations. If it fails to reach that, it will be deemed Unremarkable.

7. Behave yourself. We accept discussions and debate, not flaming and incoherent fanboy/fangirl behavior.

8. The fate of the poll will lie in the hands of the officers if it turns out that there are more first time voters than regulars or the series cannot be gauged by both voting and discussions.

This poll with end in 7 days! BEGIN!!!!!!!!
AlabastreAizoJul 7, 2013 9:18 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 30, 2013 9:46 PM

Apr 2013
Option 1 this manga deserve to be in enlightenment list

REAL can be regarded as a masterpiece from Takehiko Inoue, on which is recognized for his art and human portrayal. His work on REAL is able to clearly show his talent on portraying human's nature, expression, and spirit in a very powerful depiction yet still realistic in his own way.

The story itself lay around a quite sensitive issue: physical disability. With REAL, Inoue able to reconstruct the common view on how people with disability are considered a weak and inferior being compared to normal, healthy people. The main characters are not a "perfect" disable people that easily overcome their deficiencies. They went through a lot of hardships, hit the bottom of their life, inspired but also discouraged by those around them. There are tons of emotions throughout the story, and REAL able to represent those in the most fascinating way. Kudos for the brilliant author!

The theme itself is not that uncommon. There had been some works with the same theme in the past and There are also many American movies that undeniably good on this matter. But REAL is by no means inferior to them, if not better in the presentation.
doraemon1992Jul 7, 2013 11:28 PM
Jun 30, 2013 10:13 PM

May 2012
You know there's an actual manga called FAKE. It's BL.

And yeah, I haven't read this but I definitely approve of any and all bad puns made about everything ever.
Jun 30, 2013 10:33 PM

Jun 2011
RarityRoyale said:
And yeah, I haven't read this but I definitely approve of any and all bad puns made about everything ever.

A sick sense of humor like that should be punishable by banning.
Jul 1, 2013 10:50 AM
Dec 2012
OPTION 1

This manga doesn't deserve to be in anything, but the enlightenment list, it provides an in depth psychological analysis of every character, to the point where you feel sorry for them. It's story albeit isn't much, it's driving force comes from the character interactions, character development, and most importantly the emotional powerhouse it is. The manga develops each of the main characters extraordinarily well so that you can understand their motifs and goals well and their driving force too.
Jul 1, 2013 10:58 AM

Apr 2009
I haven't read enough of it yet, but the way Inoue handles handicapped characters is superb. As someone who works on a voluntary basis for the Red Cross I applaud him for that.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 1, 2013 2:52 PM
Oct 2011
Option 1

People write the series off when they read "wheelchair basketball" and deem it uninteresting. Well, that was also me before I started reading it a year ago. The manga however deals more with characters and the psychological factor. For a story about handicapped people, it's pretty well written, thus it deserves to be in the enlightenment list. The characters are pretty much the strong point of the series. They feel "REAL". Inoue did a pretty good job in dealing with each character and showing the way they developed as a person, you see that in the span of 72 chapters (that's already published), the characters, main ones especially, had a great deal of character-development.

Every volume is a bag full of emotions delivered by the great art. Some panels deliver more emotions than a whole anime could deliver nowadays and you can't help but feel for the characters and feel how brilliant this series is.
Jul 1, 2013 2:54 PM

Nov 2011
If it actually made relations (which it probably won't) I really would just add 'FAKE' to the relations instead for like, a week.
Jul 3, 2013 1:33 PM

Mar 2009
This needs more votes, too. Damn. We're slacking this week. I bet I can read enough to vote by Sunday, but I'd be sad if I did that and there still weren't enough votes.
Jul 3, 2013 2:12 PM

Jan 2013
Maybe keep the polls open as long there aren't enough votes/posts with vote ? ( choose the number required )
As for me I may read it next week If I have enough time. I'm a fan of Inoue for Vagabond and Slam Dunk.
Jul 3, 2013 4:18 PM

Mar 2009
We don't have any manga polls after this. We could extend it. We could even start to just do manga polls for two weeks since it's harder to get people to vote in them.
Jul 6, 2013 12:07 PM

Jun 2011
Even though I started REAL for this poll, I've been very busy this week (which seems to be true for many of our members). I would appreciate an extension of the poll as well, and would definitely finish it within the next week.

Being so inactive, a general span of 2 weeks for Manga polls probably wouldn't disrupt anything if we wanted to make this standard.
Jul 7, 2013 12:42 PM

Dec 2012
It is made of excellence and deserves to be on our Enlightenment list. (your vote)

REAL was/is a very interesting read to say the least, never would I have thought that a manga about wheelchair basketball would be so intense and captivating where you would really connect with characters . It's filled with well written relatable characters that makes you wonder if this is just fiction or based on a true story, they are three dimensional and fairly complex'd and deep. There were certain moments where I almost broke down in tears because the scene I was reading was simply too intense. It just shows how harsh reality is, where there is no room for fantasies. How your social statue and your ''fake'' relationship could disappear in an instant.

You watch the characters as they develop, their happy moments, their darkest moments, their despair. The drama is mature, there is no melodrama and no sudden sob stories shoved in your face. It handles the issues of disability in Japan rather well. The manga doesn't fall into convention, it doesn't fall into the stereotypical moments in both drama and sport.

The art is magnificent and beautifully detailed, it is the most realistic art that I have come across. It's simply beautiful. It makes you experience the atmosphere of the situation without the need to say words. I also loved the comedy in the show it was nice and I also liked the NBA references. All in all REAL is an excellent manga.

*Note*: I've read more than 46 chapters but I don't know where I last stopped so I didn't update my list.
Jul 7, 2013 1:49 PM
Jun 2009
Option 1

I've read 10 volumes (60 chapters).

The manga lives up to its title. I usually dislike realism in any artform, but this is a rare exception.
Somehow, the story manages to be both interesting and at the same time honest and down to earth (and, it must be said, very slow). Since it's about sports, more or less, it would have been easy to make it into a Shonen Jump type of manga, but instead, we get the exact opposite.
And then there's the artwork. In a recent poll, I praised Akira for its realistic art, but REAL takes it to another level. Some panels feel like looking at photographs, or to be exact, candid photographs taken after a bad night, with unshaven faces, messy hair, bags under the eyes, and skin blemishes.
Jul 7, 2013 9:16 PM

Oct 2012
Jul 7, 2013 9:18 PM

Mar 2009
It's still Sunday here. One day I will catch up and agree with this poll.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.