3It was OK
9.7%
2Disliked it
6.8%
1Hated it
6.3%
Average 4.2
206 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 6, 2009 5:38 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
All I can say is I can't believe they ended it like that. Sheesh. Don't we have enough Romeo and Juliet tragedy endings in anime?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Jan 6, 2009 7:46 PM

Nov 2008
The whole anime series is based on Romeo & Juliet if you try to compare all the characters with the ones in Shakespeare's play.
Jan 8, 2009 10:44 AM

Sep 2008
wow i was also thinking that this resembled romeo and juliet. but man what an ending. i liked it but mainly because i saw it coming.
Mar 23, 2009 8:26 AM

Jan 2009
i was thinking the same as you all. i found it annoying and profoundly easy way to end it. i didnt see why oboro and kouga couldnt just have a discussion and stop the war they had waged since they knew now what was going on, but instead they idiotically ended up killing themselves which was just plain stupid.
Apr 27, 2009 5:26 PM
Mar 2009
You should hold your tongue, try to think in first place. There's nothing wrong with death motive based on Shakespeare's play.
It's not about it's source but how it is being shown to us - and that's most important. It doesn't matter about what you're saying yet how you do it.
So just please reconsider your opinion.

I, personaly find it as beautiful and most fitting ending ever. Yet I have a confession to make: I hate Romeo & Jouliet with all I have! (Just to remain diplomatic :D)

Cheers for you all ^_^
May 18, 2009 12:11 PM

May 2009
Yes it was very predictable. But even so .... its still the best part of this series.
Jun 25, 2009 2:36 AM

Feb 2008
Japanese way of happy end = all dead.
Jun 30, 2009 2:27 AM
Oct 2007
I loved the anime.And the ending was the best part.I know they could settlethings and just live on theyr lives but where's the fun in that?This was great.
Oct 1, 2009 3:10 AM

Nov 2007
Yeah ... that felt just like a Romeo and Juliet ending =/
Oct 14, 2009 11:27 AM

Nov 2008
Crimsonwill said:
Yeah ... that felt just like a Romeo and Juliet ending =/

This, but it wasn't bad at all. It was a nice sad ending~
Tosi ystävyys ei jäädy pakkasella! Thank you for your visit. Welcome again!
Nov 8, 2009 8:39 AM

Apr 2009
I'm satisfied with it. It started out with all the hatred and everyone alive and trying to kill each other, and now every one of them is dead. The last two, who loved each other, died in each others arms...so sad.
Nov 25, 2009 1:33 AM

May 2009
izmaelis said:

But Ending Was Awesome :)
Love This Anime
Ending Touched my Feelings ;)
vanisher1Nov 25, 2009 2:50 PM

Jan 18, 2010 11:19 AM

Aug 2008
Very bittersweet and a sad ending. But a great series!
Jan 22, 2010 6:39 PM

Jul 2009
The ending was indeed predictable. I find the clans way of thinking retarded tbh. I don't understand them. I'd say they're a bunch of emo's. Having said that I still like the anime very much. It was a really good story. This last episode was very emotional and probably the best episode but I still hated it. Not that it's bad, not at all. I just wish it was different.
Feb 8, 2010 7:10 AM
Apr 2009
I didn't like the ending at all. I see no logic in Oboro's suicide.
I actually don't mind them dying, but the way they died is ridiculous. It would have been much better if they refused to kill eachother and died fighting those soldiers. That would have been a great ending, seeing them fighting together and dying together.
If I knew this anime was gonna end like this, I would never have watched it.
Feb 10, 2010 6:06 PM
Nov 2009
horrible ending...hated it...i think it could have had a waaay different ending that wasn't happy-go-lucky or super depression mode...i admit it was a good way to end the series but please...really? a repeat ending?....annoying

only endings i've ever seen in animes - they all lived happily ever after, they all died horribly in love...VERY BASIC ENDINGS!
Feb 15, 2010 11:50 PM

Dec 2009
GREAT ending to a GREAT series.
Nothing about it is below amazing. All those who think otherwise watch it again and think about it, carefully.
Mar 20, 2010 8:19 PM

Aug 2009
I liked the ending, ended up to be a great series ^^

May 17, 2010 4:10 PM

Jun 2008
This was a great series and had such a great ending, I had seen something similar in a movie, which used the same names and almost the same abilities, so at first I was discouraged, but I was surprised and thoroughly happy to watch it and see that while the names were the same and some people were the same a lot of other things were very different all the way to the ending, which was fantastic and compared to the movie it was amazing.
Jul 5, 2010 7:53 PM
Jul 2010
It was the only ending available and a perfect one at that.

The first episode (or two? i forget) of the show shows us ogen and Danjo in love but it wasn;t meant to be yadda yadda so they off each other and go floating down a river in each other's arms.

Gennosuke and Oboro are supposed to be what is essentially reincarnations of those two so they were fated the same way (trying to become one soul again). The soul thing is a repeated motif used and if you didn't pick up on that it's probably why you hated the ending.

Overall 5/5 for consistency, animation style, character uniqueness with the exception of the spider guy who there were apparently two of i guess lol.
Jul 12, 2010 10:13 PM

Jun 2010
Can't say that I'm a fan of sad endings like this.

kevin_video said:

All I can say is I can't believe they ended it like that. Sheesh. Don't we have enough Romeo and Juliet tragedy endings in anime?

^ x100,000,000 ^
Jul 18, 2010 8:35 AM

Oct 2007
izmaelis said:

Conosuke implied something like reincarnation at the end ... those guys think they'll never die and just keep being reborn.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 13, 2010 3:17 PM

Sep 2009
One of the saddest episodes I've seen in a long while. :')
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Aug 24, 2010 10:55 AM

Apr 2009
The only surprise was that Oboro killed herself first... I knew who Iemitsu was so I knew the Iga would win... but I expected her to commit suicide last instead of dying before Genosuke and have him forge the paper... did give me a laugh seeing how Ofuku reacted though... but all in all this was a show that could be great but didn't deliver all that much for me...
Alas86Aug 24, 2010 11:00 AM
Sep 12, 2010 4:49 AM

Jul 2007
Hmm somethings I need someone to explain me, which I don't understand all of em.
- Why did Ofuku wanted Iga to win?
- Why couldn't Oboro and Gennosuke get a happy ending instead killing each other? (typical japenese ending, or there is a reason behind it?)
- The real reason why they wanted the battle was to get rid of those twenty strong ninja's right?
- Why did Gennosuke wrote that the battle was won by Iga, last ninja standing
Sep 12, 2010 5:05 AM

Apr 2009
ragnaroks said:
Hmm somethings I need someone to explain me, which I don't understand all of em.
- Why did Ofuku wanted Iga to win?
- Why couldn't Oboro and Gennosuke get a happy ending instead killing each other? (typical japenese ending, or there is a reason behind it?)
- The real reason why they wanted the battle was to get rid of those twenty strong ninja's right?
- Why did Gennosuke wrote that the battle was won by Iga, last ninja standing

-Because she was Iemitsu's wetnurse, Iemitsu was the prince for whom the Iga fought.
-Because that way the battle set by Tokugawa would end without a winner and would have served no purpose.
-No. The real reason was to avoid a civil war between the supporters of the 2 princes.
-Because he was in love.
Sep 12, 2010 5:42 AM

Jul 2007
Aight thanks for your fast reply :)

-Because that way the battle set by Tokugawa would end without a winner and would have served no purpose.

What do you mean? What would have happend if Gennosuke (or Oboro) was alive? They could have choose the next shogun or something like that, which isn't a bad deal.

Still, I don't get why Gennosuke wrote something on the scroll, I mean if he was in love he could have just wrote nothing as well.
Sep 12, 2010 5:54 AM

Apr 2009
ragnaroks said:
What do you mean? What would have happend if Gennosuke (or Oboro) was alive? They could have choose the next shogun or something like that, which isn't a bad deal.

Still, I don't get why Gennosuke wrote something on the scroll, I mean if he was in love he could have just wrote nothing as well.
If only one of them was alive his side would have won and the prince they were fighting for would be the next shogun.

And Genosuke wrote what he wrote to make sure that the Iga would be named the victors, propably as a way to show his love for Oboro, technically the Iga lost since Genosuke was the last one standing, so if he didn't write anything based on the description of the witnesses the Kouga would have won.
Oct 12, 2010 12:26 PM

Mar 2010
Well what can i say it had some good killing and fighting sequences, story is also awesome

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 12, 2010 8:40 PM

Oct 2008
I cried. ;-;

I hate endings like that cos it's so sad, but.. ITS SO GOOD. I hate it. D:
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Oct 17, 2010 12:14 PM
May 2010
It was an okay series overall - I must say I disliked that it was predictable in the end.. I wish they would've gone with a bit more original ending instead of the dual suicide option.

I would've preferred if both clans had teamed up with each other some episodes ago, and joined together in order to get peace back, or something akin to that. Sad endings like this are just boring, but that's just my opinion. There are much better ways to end a series.

Gets 7 out of 10 from me. I can't say I would recommend it to someone who doesn't have that much time to watch anime, or who only wants to see the best ones. Still, it was a good watch. I don't regret it, but it left a bit of a bad taste I must admit.
Nov 4, 2010 6:42 AM

Oct 2009
Hmmm ahhhh~
Well Oboro killing her self first was a surprise everything else wasn't ;\
Unfortunately for me i watched the "Shinobi" movie before this so...i pretty much spoiled everything xD
It was a good show overall but i wish they would have at least kissed even once ._.
Great action and somewhat good characters and all around pretty good BGM and OP & ED (s).

8/10
Nov 4, 2010 9:56 AM

Jan 2010
Hey, I'm still on ep 9 but I kind of wanted to know why most spirits wear masks.
Nov 4, 2010 11:53 AM

Oct 2009
alyssav said:
Hey, I'm still on ep 9 but I kind of wanted to know why most spirits wear masks.

Spirits? Masks? Whats that gotta do with this show? o.o
Nov 11, 2010 8:32 PM

Jan 2010
Opp, wrong anime. LOL
Jan 16, 2011 12:18 AM

Mar 2009
Awesome and powerful ending.
Jan 17, 2011 6:37 PM
Dec 2008
I agree it was a bit predictable but it was the only ending possible that wouldn't ruin everything they built during the series. I mean come on, I'd rather have this than they get married and "live happily ever after" even though all of their 'family' just killed each other off, or Gennosuke dies fighting Hattori/Oboro still suicides, or worse Gennosuke kills all of the Hattori with his magic eyes even though he's on the brink of death and gets married later

One thing that I didn't get, which I guess they didn't want to expand on based on Ogen's talk to Oboro, was that thing inside of Tenzen. Tenzen was the baby in flashback last episode right?
Apr 1, 2011 3:54 PM

Jan 2010
Twenty people started. By the end, they were all dead. I guess the preview that said "This anime could be described by 'kill, kill, kill'" wasn't far of the mark.
Apr 26, 2011 12:06 AM

Feb 2010
nice end ..
c'mon this is Damn Fucking AWESOME theres no many jap animations in those days with such as dramatic and great ending I love the last words of Genosuke-san
"never regret anything, because at one point it was exactly what you wanted"
Apr 26, 2011 12:07 AM

Feb 2010
nice ending..
cmon this is Damn Fucking AWESOME theres no many jap animations in those days with such as dramatic and great ending I love the last words of Genosuke-san
May 15, 2011 4:07 PM

May 2010
Okay, WHO in the right mind didn't see that coming?

What the hell do you mean reincarnations? They were alive when Ogen and Danjo were alive...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 10, 2011 11:19 PM

Mar 2011
Very predictable ending but I kind of liked it. Soo sad :'(
Aug 18, 2011 5:25 AM

Nov 2010
I enjoyed this show as an action movie. It is a sort of high quality entertainment. Each ninja assassin has a unique killing ability and seems formidable. However, being attacked their weak points tactically, they lose their lives. The settings of their powers are well-balanced to make the story thrilling.

Since the show is aimed to be an action movie, it doesn't put emphasis on the theme and thus the way of the ending so much. But, for example, it is possible to read it as follows;
Life forms or groups maintain their strength with the adaptability acquired from the diversity. Sometimes we fight with the similar classes that scramble for our share and the foreign ones that threaten us, sometimes we take in them both. If "contention and selection" and "integration and sublimation" bring life to the next phase, hatred and love never die from the world. Race, gender, class, society, nation, religion, organization, and so on; The collisions among the different attributions are inevitable. Hatred begets hatred and sometimes hatred controls our actions. The stories based on such a notion can be seen in all ages and countries. This show is one of them. Watching the show, you may ridicule characters' action as absurd. However no one can escape from the same absurdity, because the theme is universal.

You can see anything you like through shows. I enjoyed the virtual death games played by characters in this show and we don't nip the buds of the diversity today, too.
Sep 1, 2011 10:25 PM
Sep 2011
Oboru is such a dumb bitch. So she gets most of her people killed either by not acting, or by acting stupidly, then of course she kills herself. She essentially loses the war for her people in multiple ways and still the Iga win, thanks to Gennosuke. He was literally the only character left with powers, but now he's doomed his people. There are two whole villages of ninjas with no powers, and now one ( the Iga) is favored by the shogun. Since no other character in the entire series had the "pacifist to the point of being unable to function" mindset of Oboru and Gennosuke, I think it's safe to say the Koga are screwed.
Sep 24, 2011 5:57 PM

Jun 2007
Gonzo sure did/do love their Romeo & Juliet endings. First Chrono Crusade, then Basilisk and finally with an actual R&J adaptation in the form of RxJ. It was the only available ending that wouldn't ruin the entire story, though. They couldn't just run off together and risk the wrath of the government falling on both of their villages for disobeyng orders and they loved each other too much to kill one another. When they were placed in a situation where they had to duel to the death, their options were severly limited.

This is my third time through Basilisk, having already watched it once and read the manga. I was aware of what was and wasn't added in by Gonzo, this time around.
I felt the boat section lasted far too long thanks to the needless backstory of the buff Kouga character. I also didn't care much for Hyoma getting his own little half an episode backstory, or Tenzen's backstory being explained without being explained. But, once again, I found myself impressed by the subtle characterisation differences made to Saemon's character (after he killed the two female Iga ninja)--those two 'after kill' lingering moments being my favourite parts of the show. And I'm always game for some sword fighting between the hero (Gennosuke) and villain (Tenzen) getting inserted.

There needs to be more survival anime in existence. HotD is so popular because it's one of the few survival anime out there, rather than because of the boobies alone. Basilisk is everything Naruto's Sasuke Rescue arc would've been had it featured adult characters and not had any deus ex machina saving, or orange ninjas.
Nov 16, 2011 4:20 AM
Nov 2011
Well, that certainly was sad. Though, it's not like I didn't imagine it'd end like that; of course, keeping the condition(s) in mind, that was basically the only thing they both could've done. Die, side by side, that is.

The main thing I'd like to point is that I can't believe how unfair this series was; unfair to both the protagonists, unfair to both the clans, unfair to all the clansmen, unfair to everyone except the ugly shogunate. I mean, c'mon, they all had their dreams, they all wanted to live, even though the clans had their ill-wills against each other. Both the protagonists were right on their part to stop that unnecessary grudge and therefore make both the clans join up. It was the right thing, yet, the shogunate had something else in mind; they wanted to see which clan would mean to choose next successor! WHAT? Are you fucking kidding me? Jesus, that's one of the worst ways to choose a successor, if you ask me. Inhumane, too.

Well, keeping that aside. I was constantly entertained throughout this series, whether it be through action, characters, soundtrack or stupidity. I was constantly entertained, yes. All the people who say Naruto is the best Ninja anime, well, check out Basilisk. You'd get a stroke! It's phenomenal, rather the ninjustu techniques are phenomenal. The characters were likable, too. I guess all the characters had their moments and every single one of them earned a special side in my heart. Though, some characters weren't given much showtime, still, the recap episode showed how they actually were before the alliance got nullified. I mostly liked Hyouma's character. he animation and soundtrack were consistent, too. Gonzo did a nice job, I must add. The opening and ending themes were beautiful. The characters were nicely designed and the backgrounds were beautifully illustrated, thus the artwork was great.

All in all, the anime earned itself an 8 and got a special place in my heart.
Jan 22, 2012 3:39 PM

Apr 2008
kenshinx009 said:
It was the only ending available and a perfect one at that.

The first episode (or two? i forget) of the show shows us ogen and Danjo in love but it wasn;t meant to be yadda yadda so they off each other and go floating down a river in each other's arms.

Gennosuke and Oboro are supposed to be what is essentially reincarnations of those two so they were fated the same way (trying to become one soul again).

It was the 1st episode for starters.
I mainly agree with you on your review here.
I would think that Ogen and Danjo saw Oboro and Gennosuke as a flinch of hope for the future of the two clans, for a chance to settle the old feud and make so that peace would be the only outcome of their original meeting.

The show, I would say all in all should deserve a 6 on a dice for sure. As many(most) shows about, it got it's flaws and such but nothing that would make myself roll the dice a 2nd time.
As many others have said as well, I also would say the last episode were the one that really got to me. Bittersweet, yet beautiful ending with the couple taking off to the world beyond,together. Could not have asked for a better ending considering that the culture back then combined with the character those two showed me.
Gief more shows like this.
Feb 2, 2012 2:53 PM

Jul 2009
It was so predictable. I knew from the beginning even tho i prayed and hoped that the two of them wouldn't end up dying arm in arm like Ogen and Daimyo did.

But no, they do.

Why did the entire series have to be nothing but death, love and sex. T_T

I cried.
Jul 10, 2012 5:41 PM

Dec 2009
It was nice way to sum up the story... too bad nobody punched the kid's assistant/babysitter/mother ?
Jul 25, 2012 6:19 AM

Feb 2010
no matter how many times i watch the series i always end up crying at the last episode. i will remember both of u gennosuke & oboro forever .. thats the least thing i could do for giving us such a great series
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou Episode 17 Discussion

VARIAchan - Oct 12, 2010

18 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 7, 8:03 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou Episode 16 Discussion

removed-user - Mar 14, 2009

24 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 7, 7:40 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou Episode 15 Discussion

VARIAchan - Oct 12, 2010

15 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 7, 4:54 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou Episode 14 Discussion

VARIAchan - Oct 12, 2010

28 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 7, 4:27 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou Episode 11 Discussion

removed-user - Mar 13, 2009

23 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Apr 6, 3:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.