Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 2, 2013 4:26 PM

Jul 2011
What the hell was that? What happened to Hunter x Hunter?

This was shit... since when does Hunter x Hunter do crap like frontal attacks...? (No strategies, lack of nen, emotional shounen crap...)

Utterly generic and cliché. I didn't even recognize the characters. Too OOC for me. Plus the spiders were damn weak...They need the whole damn group to defeat this one ex-member? Are you kidding me?

Usually I can still somewhat enjoy filler arcs/movies. But this was brutal. (If it's true this was the original manga plot, I'm SO glad he scrapped it.)

2/10. A waste of time. I really regret watching this. I feel like it's a miracle I didn't drop it. e.o
MirorinAug 2, 2013 4:36 PM
Aug 2, 2013 4:35 PM

Nov 2012
^

2/10 o_O ?!!! you know it's not that bad!
but maybe you was expecting something like Yorknew arc, so here you go .. biggest disappointment ever!
Aug 2, 2013 4:40 PM

Jul 2011
DoN-Anas7 said:
^

2/10 o_O ?!!! you know it's not that bad!
but maybe you was expecting something like Yorknew arc, so here you go .. biggest disappointment ever!

It was that bad for me! I was going to give it a 4, but it just got worse and worse and the final battle was just so bad. e.e

Yorkshin was alright. But it was much better than whatever the heck I just watched.
Aug 3, 2013 2:15 AM

Aug 2011
^ Personally i kinda liked that "emotional shounen crap", as it fit's the characters and plot in this case.

However, Hisoka was kinda overkill xD

But yeah, you could see the difference between the main story and this movie.. While the 2011 main story were way better in terms of character quality, i really enjoyed this movie as well..
Aug 3, 2013 3:42 AM

Jul 2013
Agree with MM. Though I think 2/10 is a bit brutal..

Hope the second movie reclaims the Hunter x Hunter glory :)
Aug 3, 2013 5:13 AM

Nov 2012
I'm glad that everyone has pointed out this isn't (or shouldn't be) canon, because I avoided most information about the movie in order to enjoy it better, so I wasn't sure about its "canonness." For the same reason, it took me a while to figure out in what part of the storyline it takes place.
The weird thing about this movie is that it has elements of fanservice (most favorite characters, gratuitious display of abilities, what if- battles) and it still fell short. I think the fanservice became more important than the movie itself, the plot suffered a lot because they just kept throwing in as much characters as they could. As many have pointed out already, the battles, though cool and nicely animated, lacked the typical strategic element that makes HxH so unique, they were there just for the rule of cool. On the other hand, they focused too much on Killua when Kurapika should've had the spotlight.
I noticed some inconsistencies in the rules of Nen to the point I just turned my brain off to enjoy the battles. Still I think it is better to think that since this is not canon nen works slightly different. Still, I think a better explanation for Omokage's hatsu is needed, especially how he can create those dolls. The conditions and limitations were a bit vague. Even if the Ryodan said they were lame, his dolls were almost OP, it was just too much if they could use the original's abilities.

I hope they improve the writing for the next movie. I'd like to see an origin story of the spiders, or perhaps Kurapika recovering the scarlet eyes (parallel to the chimera ant arc).

7/10 For me, an ok shonen movie, but a letdown for the potential that HxH has.
kchorrex2012Aug 3, 2013 5:21 AM
Aug 3, 2013 5:50 AM

Jun 2008
Uninspired filler, it was OK.
Aug 3, 2013 6:51 AM

Sep 2012
While I enjoyed the movie for the most part, I find it pretty linear.
Judging from the PV the movie looked like it would be more Kurapika centered but other than the flashback, the movie seemed to be more focused on Killua's internal conflict between his friendship with Gon and his fate as a member of the Zoldyck family. While this can be good character development, it was already established in the series and I felt like it was just repeating itself.

And I find it funny how Gon acted pretty nonchalant when his eyes got stolen. He's like, heh no biggy, I can still smell ya :D.
Aug 3, 2013 8:16 AM

Jun 2011
Stark700 said:

P.S. I noticed that ANN has an entry for this:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=15112

There's another HxH movie??

Yes, another movie has been confirmed since this movie aired. When Phantom Rouge was about to be aired in theaters, advertisements also stated that there was going to be an announcement after the credits rolled.
Many people hoped for it to be the return of the manga but the announcement was about a second HxH movie. The only thing we have gotten so far about the second movie is a picture of Netero and what appears to be Heaven's Arena in the background.
Animelist」 ♪「 Mangalist 」♫
[/size]

Aug 3, 2013 8:26 AM

Nov 2011
xmaikokoro said:
Stark700 said:

P.S. I noticed that ANN has an entry for this:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=15112

There's another HxH movie??

Yes, another movie has been confirmed since this movie aired. When Phantom Rouge was about to be aired in theaters, advertisements also stated that there was going to be an announcement after the credits rolled.
Many people hoped for it to be the return of the manga but the announcement was about a second HxH movie. The only thing we have gotten so far about the second movie is a picture of Netero and what appears to be Heaven's Arena in the background.

Ah I see. Maybe we get to meet some of the floor masters? Hmm..
Aug 3, 2013 8:27 AM
Jul 2013
Kuchenlight said:
Aww, that was pretty disappointing. It didn't feel like HunterXHunter for me at all.
Instead like a full-flegded generic shounen movie. And the main reason I love the series is because it ISN'T a generic shounen at all.

Didn't expect a HunterXHunter movie could be this bad.

I couldn't have Agreed any more, Well said,
It was a disappointment cuz i've been waiting for months for this Movie to come out and this is what i get, Plot looked like it was Rushed big time, Really nothing Special, Shame on you Togashi!!

Rate: 5/10 Average.
Aug 3, 2013 8:39 AM

Mar 2013
something was fishy in this movie
the fights was enjoyable though
I hope the next movie will be about gine
lightlineAug 3, 2013 9:05 AM
Aug 3, 2013 9:38 AM

Jul 2013
Next film is OBV going to be the Hisoka Vs. Chrollo fight!

(Or so I can dream..)
Aug 3, 2013 11:16 AM
Apr 2013
I am going to say it again. There is a humongous difference between a movie and a 20 episode arc.

Imagine if Yorkshin had been a movie instead. It would practically have been the same as Phantom Rouge.

I for one had wished that Togashi put this story in his manga.

EDIT: That being said I get the disappointed part. It is just the "Glad Togashi got rid of this in the manga" part I don't get.
Aug 3, 2013 11:20 AM

Nov 2011
Vogue- said:

(Or so I can dream..)

I wish.
Aug 3, 2013 6:59 PM

Aug 2012
Stark700 said:
Vogue- said:

(Or so I can dream..)

I wish.

I like how they teased us with the Hisoka vs. Doll Chrollo, basically rubbed the fact it didn't happen in our faces T_T
Aug 3, 2013 8:57 PM

Apr 2013
I dunno, I liked it for all of its problems. Was still a good movie and I enjoyed watching it. u.u More Hunter x Hunter is always a good thing.
>.>
Aug 4, 2013 1:02 AM

Jan 2011
So this takes place after the Phantom troupe arc I thought it was a retelling before. I was expecting this movie to be Kurapika centric but it turned out to be more Killua focused. I really liked the various ED arranges that served as the BGM. There was some nice Killua and Gon moments here and there and Hisoka screen time is always appreciated. Too bad Shizuku didn't speak I really wanted to hear Himari's voice again ;_;

Overall 8/10
[center]
Aug 4, 2013 1:40 AM

Aug 2008
That was godawful. I just don't understand how the animation quality is actually far lower than in the TV series. Everything about it was poorly done and the story felt totally random and dumb. Clearly just a rushed little side project they thought they could cash in on without any effort.
Aug 4, 2013 5:58 AM

Oct 2008
Well, it was ok for me. But I guess the problem with it is that it was just ok.. Since this is an HxH movie we were expecting something much better than what the average Naruto movie provides every year, though it didn't really surpass that.

Rarely do these shonen movies really have the same spirit that the series does, and I guess HxH was no exception to the rule. I think that's all there is to it.

Still I'm grateful for what we got though.
Aug 4, 2013 9:39 PM

Feb 2010
The power of friendship...lol I was laughing over how Kurapika and Gon had no eyes and were being led around everywhere, except Gon had his nose so everything was okay. I know it's not a laughing matter, but I really did find myself laughing over way too many things which probably means I didn't take it seriously, but I did enjoy watching.

My favorite scene has got to be when Killua was freaking out over Gon suddenly making friends with Retz and how he figured he was a girl. I was freaking slapping my knee so hard, yet they couldn't have really made it any more obvious she was actually a doll, and I do feel like they rushed over parts and kind of just...I don't know how to describe.

But yeah, I can easily find a way to amuse myself over just about everything so I don't want to praise this too much, I'd give it a 8/10
Aug 5, 2013 6:55 AM

Mar 2013
Vogue- said:

(Or so I can dream..)

the next movie should be either about

Gon's father

or

The history of the phantom Rouge
how did Chrollo start his crew and how did each member join that would be interesting
Aug 5, 2013 7:02 AM

May 2011
what's with "Episode 1" ..lol
well, it's my first time in a movie discussion
Aug 6, 2013 12:19 AM

Oct 2011
That didn't feel like a HxH movie at all to me. It suffered a lot of the Shonen genre tropes which the series is known to avoid. Even Retz looked more like a Digimon character to me, lol.
Aug 6, 2013 4:57 AM

Feb 2011
More Hisoka weirdness <33

Besides that , I think that it was an okay movie overall , animation could've been better.
Aug 6, 2013 10:09 AM

Oct 2011
Wow that was a good movie. The friendship between them TwT. Kurapika's backstory of why he became a hunter and the massacre of his clan was interesting. Great seeing Hisoka and other Ryodan members. Hisoka vs Doll Chrollo OMG!!! Teaser XDD
Retz T____T

Omokage Nen ability was a mixture of Sasori and Edo Tensei.
Aug 6, 2013 11:01 AM
Sep 2009
I was dissapointed... a lot... trailers were strongly promoting it as Kurapica and Phantom troupe movie just like whole Phantom arc in anime but in reality it wasn't.

Both Kurapica and Phantom troupe barely made any appearance at all nor did they play massive role. Trailer basically showed almost all scenes involving them.

If anything I would call it more a Killua centered movie. And since unlike many, I find Killua and Gon boring, it was a waste...

At least Gon didn't piss me off this time around.

The movie did have its postives but over all it was meh.

6/10
Aug 7, 2013 6:07 AM
Jun 2011
it felt like kinda gays. it was disappointing to me :(
Aug 7, 2013 10:00 AM

Feb 2008
This was rather disappointing, it didn't feel like the usual HxH at all. And considering who directed this movie, I was expecting way more.
Aug 9, 2013 5:26 PM

Jul 2009
What did I think?...I started playing Candy Crush on my phone 20 minutes into the movie.

What I enjoyed: Seeing Gon, Killua, Kurapika, and Leorio together again. Nobunaga and Hisoka maintaining boss status. Killua making a hit as an assassin.

What I didn't like: The plot was very flat. There were no surprises and no clever moments. We also spent a hell of a lot of time rehashing Killua's brother issues. Normally I wouldn't mind, but I was led to believe that this movie was about Kurapika and the Troupe. False advertising, yo! The fights were disappointing because they were so generic. Usually I can count on HxH to deliver well thought out, clever, strategic battles that rely on intelligence and creativity. The main villain was as flat as paper, too; he barely had any motivation, and therefore little impact. Also, why was Leorio made useless again?

5/10
Aug 11, 2013 2:54 PM

Dec 2011
This movie was better than I thought. The nen ability of Omokage is quite nice too.
The only downside that I found is that Gon and Killua doesnt have special moves yet... but I guess we can overlook this fact since this is really a Kurapika focused movie.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2013 3:41 AM
Mar 2009
Akanezora said:

Also.

Anyway, 8.5/10 to me. I really enjoyed it.

Too cruel, teasing us with a scene like that given what recently happened in the anime...
Aug 12, 2013 3:24 PM

May 2011
well, it wasn't bad but also wan't good, there's no violence and the fights was bad, for me the best scene was that in the beginning of the movie (killua and Illumi scene)
the first time watching the movie at the beginning i said "yaaay illumi here :)" that was good scene except that there's noting attract me in the movie xD
i think the second one would be more good then the first <<<----- i hope :)
Aug 14, 2013 12:28 PM

May 2010
just finished watching.

the movie was not on the same level as the anime but still was fun to watch. it really comes down to what u expect from it.

i give it a solid 7/10
Aug 14, 2013 12:43 PM

Mar 2013
Kerozinn said:
just finished watching.

the movie was not on the same level as the anime but still was fun to watch. it really comes down to what u expect from it.

i give it a solid 7/10

Same thing as you, but I stared losing more and more interest right before the final battle was about to start.

I also give it a 6/10.
Aug 18, 2013 8:30 AM

May 2012
7/10

Not as good as I expected. Hope that the second movie is better
Aug 18, 2013 5:36 PM
Oct 2008
6/10 was fine, but kinda boring if you compare it to HXH TV series.
Aug 21, 2013 9:17 AM

Jan 2012
question is this movie a retelling of the phntom troupe arc?or does it have new stuf?
Aug 21, 2013 10:20 AM

Jun 2011
renders said:
question is this movie a retelling of the phntom troupe arc?or does it have new stuf?

It has new anime original stuff. The movie does go off of the fact that you know what happened during the Phantom Troupe/Yorknew Arc as well.
Animelist」 ♪「 Mangalist 」♫
[/size]

Aug 22, 2013 2:45 PM
Feb 2012
I view this movie as a separate work (well, duh) so comparing it to the airing main series would be mean, as it would undoubtedly lose.
Yes, the fights were rather average and not what you'd expect to see if written by Togashi. What I did enjoy though, was seeing the Phantom Troupe. Just seeing those guys in glorious 1080p made the 90 minutes spent on this film worth it.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Aug 23, 2013 3:43 AM

Jul 2013
I enjoyed it, but my expectations for this weren't high at all.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that I should consider canon was the Kurapika/Pairo flashback right?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 24, 2013 3:47 AM

Jun 2010
I expected more to be honest. I am quite disappointed. The animation is also not par to the 2011 version. You can notice some bad frames too even though it's a film. Not to mention the plot is not so outstanding.

7/10 I guess.
Aug 25, 2013 3:38 AM

Oct 2009
Well, the animation is not as good as 2011. But it's very enjoyable nonetheless. Or its just me being a major big HxH fan after all. The plot is okay, not too good but not that bad either.

The music here is so much better than the tv series. Love that first scene when Killua was a killer. Oh and that kurapika's flashback is nice too.

Too bad Gon and killua were still unable to use their hatsu else things are gonna be so much more interesting.

Sep 1, 2013 8:45 PM

Jan 2009
the action scenes are disappointing but then Gon and Killua do not have hatsu/nen at that time, that Omokage looks cool though his powers are awesome, overall i still enjoy the story and the whole movie
Sep 21, 2013 10:49 AM

Jul 2012
This was not worth the hype especially for hunter x hunter an anime that usually so well written the movie was something else entirely the action was bad imo and Kurapika wasn't even the primary focus instead Killua was and don't get me wrong I like Killua but this was silly .
Oct 12, 2013 3:17 PM
Aug 2011
Okay that was disappointing.
I thought we were going to have more Kurapika not to mention that Killua was way too melodramatic at one point.

People go on and on about HxH for days so my expectations were high going into this... but sadly they were not met.
Omokage making a soul doll Chrollo is just not right, ever.

Should have had 90 minutes of Hisoka instead and this would have been A+ material.
standOct 12, 2013 3:21 PM
Oct 20, 2013 10:03 AM

Apr 2009
ok so this movie was just a big filler.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Oct 24, 2013 10:08 PM

Jun 2009
Pretty bad like really and even my love for HxH can't mask how awful this movie is. Now I know why this got a 7.44 rating although it feels it should be a lot more lower.

Now I'm less optimistic on the next upcoming movie.
Nov 2, 2013 7:17 AM

Nov 2011
I don't like this movie, I do not want my loving Hunter X Hunter to be a shit shounen animes like Na*uto or One Pi*ce that make out a movie every year..
This story is full of inconsistency, it's not like HXH at all.. Made me don't want to watch the next movie(s) ...

The music of this movie is still good though.. And still there is some scene that could made me smile ...
Jim_HeartNov 2, 2013 7:21 AM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Nov 7, 2013 7:15 PM

Dec 2012
It was a good movie. But I expected it to be better to tell the truth.
Animation great as always.
I don't like the doll/puppet thing in any anime.
Hisoka badass as always.
Illumi's clothes were disgusting.
anyway overall 7/10
Albi-kunNov 7, 2013 7:44 PM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Gon looks weird in this movie?

Sortvind - Aug 8, 2013

7 by PizzaGOD_74 »»
Jan 8, 9:02 AM

» I only gave this a 3 because [SPOILERS]

Takamura-sama - Dec 29, 2017

8 by RjRaj »»
Nov 12, 2023 10:37 AM

» Is Omokage's ability too ridiculous? Is it ever explained in a way that is not ridiculous?

psykblue - May 13, 2018

2 by RafaelDeJongh »»
Jan 10, 2019 1:29 PM

» Watching the movie without watching the anime

giusex27 - Oct 29, 2013

3 by giusex27 »»
Oct 31, 2013 4:45 PM

» When do you watch this movie?

rpn101 - Jun 19, 2013

4 by Racaholic »»
Aug 4, 2013 1:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.