Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 30, 2008 1:56 AM

Dec 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
last episode.....
in my opinion this was the best episode of this anime!!!

kinsoku jikou desu
Jan 14, 2009 7:14 PM

Dec 2008
I'm glad I watched this anime. :] I admit though, this anime was confusing as hell and really boring to watch most of the time but still, this was pretty good as a whole. I will always remember Lain. :]
Jan 29, 2009 5:23 PM

Oct 2008
i was really confused but i still thought that this is one of the best animes ever!!
I'm so glad that lain got to start her life over and meet arisu again. Though i thought they would both meet again at the same age. all the more, it was awesome! I have to rewatch this anime. Sayonara Lain!! Mata ne?
Ja!! :'(
Mar 16, 2009 5:38 AM

Jan 2008
Oh, so she restarted the world. At least she met up with Alice again.
Mar 23, 2009 8:18 PM

Feb 2009
I think i had the same impression of everyone above.
I really like this anime, specially Lain.

A lot of the information given in this anime didn't make sense, though.
I know a little about some themes, but they're completelly shuffled here.
I may say you can't see this anime with your mind stuck at science/computing details...
I had to ignore every single data that was unrelated to the concept of Wired of this anime.
So done, i could enjoy all other traces, including those psycho moments.

This really isn't my favorite genre. But i thought it was pretty interesting.
For me, it was 9/10. It reached all my first expectations.
I'd like if it had better explanations, though.
Anime ga daaaai suki!!! Computer Engineering. Japan is awesome!!!
Mar 29, 2009 8:05 PM

Apr 2008
Rewatching the series helps a lot actually. I noticed a lot of details I missed the first time on a rewatch.

I'd take several months off before trying to wrap your brain around Lain again though ;D
Apr 24, 2009 11:50 AM
May 2008
Wow, great series... but I have to agree that at times it was really confusing and would of been better off with some explanations here and there. I'll have to rewatch this series sometime down the line just to understand it a bit better.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Apr 28, 2009 7:38 AM

Mar 2008
Yes, rewatching really helps with this series. I've seen Lain a few years ago and didn't quite, well, get it. Remembering the suffocating atmosphere, I decided to see it again and I actually finally had the idea I got most of the details.
Jul 1, 2009 8:19 PM

May 2008
This anime was insanely awesome xD... I loved the themes, the creepiness, mystery, suspense, and the surrealism. It is definetly a great anime. Of course there are some things that are very hard to get since the main plot deals with many deep philosophical arguments and I guess you have to open your mind as much as possible so that you can understand a little better. For me this makes Serial Experiments Lain a great masterpiece
Aug 13, 2009 4:52 PM

Apr 2008
An incredible anime, I wish Lain would have deal with her problems rather than resetting everything. 8/10 (:
Sep 6, 2009 12:50 PM

Jan 2008
I'm glad I watched it, I think I might have to re-watch it at some point to get all the details.

Certainly a classic, don't know if I would score it a perfect 10 though, as some of it felt like it was just filling this episodes, like that weird alien episode.
Sep 21, 2009 11:42 AM
Dec 2008
8/10.

Something different and unique.

Oct 12, 2009 12:26 PM

Jun 2009
It was AWESOME. That's all.
Nov 1, 2009 6:25 PM

Jun 2009
I was a little afraid to start this anime because I thought it might be similar to NGE but it was nothing like that trainwreck of a show. This anime did ten times as much character developement with half the number of episodes. Everything also worked together to give this anime a surreal atmosphere that, far from detracting from the coherence of the story, actually made it easier to understand. Definite 10/10

I personally found the ending to be anticlimactic and somewhat depressing but it did fit in better with the rest of the anime than any I would have come up with. There were also a few things that I still felt were unresolved but I think it was just because I missed something. I'll have to rewatch it later.
Nov 1, 2009 7:01 PM

Feb 2009
TBH i am happy I watched lain, even if I didn't fully understand it- if only because it was an experience, at least.
My pokemon bring all the boys to the yard...
Nov 22, 2009 1:23 AM

Aug 2009
I think we can call the end happy one. Everybody is still alive. The anime was great. Psychodelic cyberpunk with strong philosophical base. 10/10
Dec 3, 2009 2:38 AM

Apr 2009
wow..what a great series,one of the mind blowing anime that I have ever seen along with Ergo Proxy and NGE,I'm glad they are all alive..

Even though my head still hurts,I will give this a 10/10 a materpiece..^^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2009 11:59 AM

Jun 2009
I went on a marathon and finished this in one day. Very bad idea. My brain cells was sore with confusion when the credits rolled on episode 13.

It's sad that I wasn't able to enjoy this anime as much I would've had. The 1st episode tricked me into thinking that the whole series was a major mindfuck. When I thoroughly read Thoughts Experiments Lain to try and make sense of all the information I literally shoved down my throat, I realized that Serial Experiments Lain wasn't that complicated.

I'll give this a second go once I have obtained a higher quality release. Despite my borked experience, I still gave this a 9.
Jan 25, 2010 2:04 PM

Aug 2008
Well, this was an awesome show... I really liked it!
All the concepts really interested me alot, and the heroine really made the plot great.
Jan 25, 2010 11:45 PM
Oct 2009
it was awesome but....uhh. never watch it all at once,got a headache and feel sore.

but seriously i enjoyed the ride while it lasted
Apr 4, 2010 4:55 AM

Sep 2008
This has a score of 7.95? Just goes to show how many idiots there are in this world who can't think at a higher level.

10/10 from me. Simply amazing anime. The ending was soo...unexpectedly awesome? I was expecting a crap ending from something like this actually.
Apr 5, 2010 6:25 AM

Jun 2009
The end was just... just RIGHT. To say the truth, I expected something different (though I don't mean I'd like it more), but what I've seen made me amazed and glad. Nothing better couldn't be imagined for the final of SE Lain, the idea fits very-very much.

8/10 'cause of the relatively weak logical basis: transfering memory with IP packages, synchronising it with 8 Hz magnetic field etc. I understand that in '98 it sounded more plausible, Internet wasn't so outspread and there wasn't so much info about it for the big masses of people, but there's nothing I can do about my feelings.
Apr 15, 2010 5:38 PM

Oct 2009
Best anime ever created yeah thats right fuck death note and code geass and clannad and logh and gintama(well i actually kinda like gintama)
Apr 18, 2010 5:52 AM

Apr 2009
^as said by the guy who hasnt finished LoGH..

anyway.. this truly is a wonderful series.. also, i love Lain.. but i have to deduct points for lots of dead air, unclear presentation, information overload and lack of tension all spread towards the earlier episodes..

8/10 for me..
May 4, 2010 6:01 PM
Jun 2009
Could have been so much better.
May 17, 2010 11:29 AM

Apr 2010
7/10

I like the "mindf***k genre", as it is, but it would have been much better with some more human characters. This way, I have no emotional attachment to the series. I don't care if all these weird, philosophy-speaking puppets exist or not, live or die.

Arisu was basically the only likable human character, but even she had so little on-screen action that she was basically "generic schoolgirl #25675"
May 26, 2010 4:21 PM

Feb 2010
I was expecting so much more at the end.
Most of the series it was mindf*ck "games" so I enjoy it.
9/10
Jul 8, 2010 6:38 PM

Feb 2009
So confusing and awesome i loved it. 10/10 from me.
Jul 26, 2010 11:16 AM

Nov 2009
Veery confusing. I might understand a lot more if I rewatch it but - no way I'm gonna watch this boring shit again. It was a chore sitting through this show and I'm glad it's finally over. I'm sorry Lain.
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
Jul 28, 2010 4:51 AM

Feb 2009
This episode was kinda sad... even if it has a somewhat happy ending... can't explain why. Basically she deleted everyone's memories about her... I for a moment there thought she erased her very existence, but she came back somehow.

She states that memories need not only be of the past, so I guess she became a memory in the future, where she could exixst again, and start over, maybe.

Great anime, and yeah Lain will be remembered. 8/10.
Sep 5, 2010 8:46 PM

Jul 2010
Holy shit. After finishing this my brain feels like mush. I think I got the majority of the show, and it's pretty epic. I'll have to re-watch it to notice things from the earlier episodes as those were just chaotic to watch without knowing anything about the show.

I personally think Lane never actually 'physically' exists in the real world. She can manipulate memories so I think she makes it seem that she exists by manipulating the memories of people around her, unknowingly. However, there are also a lot of things that prove otherwise, so I'm not 100% sure on this. Guess it's just a theory.

The show also pokes at Religion. Would god still exist if no one believed in him? Think about it. As a figure who only exists because people believe in him, then what would happen when no one believed in him? Would he simply fade from existence?

Can you exist after death? Some character believed that. But did they mean it literally? Could they actually stay alive in the 'Wired' after dying in the real world. Or are the only alive in the wired because of there presence and logged history? Because unlike in real life, in the wired you don't decay. Every post you made a forum for example would still be a capture of you and your personality. So in the wired they could live forever, unlike in real life where they'd decay and fade away and once everyone forgets about them they no longer existed.

Did Aliens help us build our technology? The show also seems to think that. They point out that a Alien spacecraft landed on Earth and Aliens helped Humans created 'the wired'.

Was Lain programmed by the Alien? How could humans program such a diverse program that can literally form into it's own personalty and it's own being. It must have been the Alien who created Lain. The dude who got hit by the train(The fake god) claimed he did, but was determined not to be the real 'god'/'creator'. The real creators were most likely the aliens. In one of the episodes you see Lain with a Aliens body; I think this is the biggest hint that she is linked to the Aliens and this is the only way I could think of.

I am a computer programmer and I specialize in website programming; so naturally after watching this I feel like a god of the internet. :) I can create my own worlds in the 'wired' and do what I want with them.
YintamaSep 5, 2010 9:04 PM
Sep 6, 2010 5:10 PM

May 2010
My review of the entire series is here http://wp.me/p12uiW-ia
Oct 17, 2010 12:26 AM

Oct 2008
Awesome series. :)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Nov 14, 2010 12:09 AM

Mar 2009
It was good at first but the last two episodes just lost my interest.
Nov 24, 2010 2:43 AM

Aug 2009
5layer said:
10/10 from me. Simply amazing anime. The ending was soo...unexpectedly awesome? I was expecting a crap ending from something like this actually.

Same. I was ready to rate this an 8-9, but the ending completely bumped up the score for me. Aside from how the story was presented, I have no complaints about this anime.
10/10

Dec 10, 2010 6:20 AM
May 2010
The first time I watched it I liked it. The second time, I absolutely LOVED it.
Feb 11, 2011 6:40 AM

Oct 2008
6/10 for this series.

I am very disappointed by this anime. I thought I would like it since I'm into the psychological genre, but the was not good.
It was very confusing though I understood most of it by the end.
The ending was awful.
Mar 21, 2011 11:44 PM
Aug 2010
very good anime .. but the ending so sad , Alic did not remmber her friend Lain. 9\10
Mar 25, 2011 4:16 PM

Dec 2009
I think this last episode was what topped the whole series off. The quote near the middle of the episode "What isn’t remembered, never happened. Memory is merely a record. You just need to rewrite that record." really hit home with me. It just hurts you a little to see her.... wipe herself out of everyone's memories so they could be happier - even though it would be a life without her. It's a bit sad. But she seemed happy at the end.
Apr 15, 2011 10:29 PM

Oct 2009
Too DEEP for me

Thought I would enjoy this show more, oh well. 7/10
Apr 20, 2011 8:08 AM

Aug 2010
Well, it was quite an interesting experience...I loved the series as a whole, it really threw me back into the 90's, the atmosphere just sucked me in. However, I am not really satisfied with the ending. I believe that they should have cut out the extraterrestrial references and the recap part, because the last episode felt rushed, and the previously mentioned scenes didn't contribute that much. With a bit of a restructure it could have had a better pacing.

As to the ending itself, I'm not quite sure whether I like it or not. The problem is, that I'm afraid I didn't get the message. From the way it was ended, I had the impression that instead of making a choice, Lain stayed at the border. She did not return to experience pain and joy, but didn't cut herself from Arisu either. To me, this would indicate that the message is: "Have one good friend, apart from that, the Wired is superior". I certainly did not get the closure I was looking forward to. Maybe when I rewatch it in a few years time I will get a different picture.

I'm giving the ending episode a 4/5...and the series...I can't really decide between a 9 or a 10. I think I'll just go with 10 for now and see what I think about it the next time I watch it. It was definitely worth it.
Mogami-kunApr 20, 2011 8:12 AM
Apr 22, 2011 9:47 AM

Apr 2008
Blatant ripoff of Madoka ending.
Apr 25, 2011 9:46 AM
Sep 2009
waterfall said:

You realize this was done 13 years before Madoka, right?
Apr 25, 2011 9:53 AM

Jan 2011
waterfall said:

Iknowrite
They also stole ideas from Nichijou

3/10
May 25, 2011 6:09 AM

Dec 2007
I want to know more about the knights, we never got to know what they were all about.. and those two in black suits aswell, we never really got to know what their objective was..
May 25, 2011 10:48 PM

Nov 2010
CaritasAvaritia said:
waterfall said:

Iknowrite
They also stole ideas from Nichijou

3/10

this made me lol.

but anyway, i actually finished this series a while ago but never commented on it. I just wanted to say that i think this series is amazing. even tho im not really a fan of older anime. well its old but not that old. i really liked the art, how deep the plot was, how it rarely had any background music, the constant shots of all the power lines, and the blood in the shadows. it all really helped set a unique atmosphere. im definitely gonna re watch this series eventually to try to understand it more. i wish there was more anime made like this.
Hokuto_no_FuzzMay 25, 2011 10:58 PM
May 26, 2011 7:24 PM
May 2011
This is what happens when you mix Evangelion, the Matrix, and Akira; A trippy, mind-bendingly good concoction of philosophy and technology.
May 30, 2011 1:48 PM

May 2010
The show's philosophical side is well-portrayed: It's entertaining even if philosophy plays a large role, it isn't heavy-handed and it melds very well with the plot. The recurrent themes of loneliness and theology are also executed well. Nothing like a show that entertains, makes you think and makes you feel.

Also, the ending got me misty-eyed. 9/10; brilliant stuff.

The madoka jokes here are pretty funny, lol
WombstoneMay 30, 2011 11:12 PM
Jul 3, 2011 2:41 AM

Jun 2010
Well I finally got around to watching this, partly because of recommendations and partly because I heard there was a similarity between Lain and Madoka, and sure enough there was.

I gotta say, this anime blew my fucking mind away. The atmosphere, the characters (LAIN), that subtle but powerful use of background music, the plot and how it raises so many philosophical questions on technology, existence, etc.

Definitely part of my Top 5, along with Madoka heh.

10/10
Sep 24, 2011 8:40 AM

Apr 2010
the ending was nice..but i cant give it a score higher than 6/10

this isnt my type of anime..i guess.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How do you feel about Serial Experiments Lain?

Je-suis-lui - May 1

7 by 14see12 »»
May 1, 12:44 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StabbyPWNS - Oct 11, 2008

292 by JosefStalinium »»
Apr 20, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cureroyale - Jan 27, 2009

123 by mrnmbl »»
Apr 16, 3:43 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

139 by Gf2002 »»
Mar 20, 1:43 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

119 by Gf2002 »»
Mar 20, 12:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.