Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
May 11, 2013 8:55 PM

Jun 2008
So after 6 episodes of Attack on titan/Shingeki no Kyojin I'm seeing that people are calling Mikasa, "the model", just a waifu with lipstick, cold, too perfect, selfish and annoying.

In anime we've seen characters like this before. However, I'm only used to these complaints when it comes to characters that go overboard and isn't really justified for acting that way. In this show, Mikasa is definitely justified for her cold blooded behavior. She saw her mother and a bunch of people around her get murder. It's reasonable that something will break inside her. She wants to fight and protect Eren. At least she's not one of those " reluctant whiny, damsel in distress " heroes. She's trying

Eren is liked because he's the typical super morally strong shounen guy archetype. Nothing too special at the moment. Not saying he won't develop but from the main characters Mikasa has the most potential to be the multidimensional character especially if and/or when she undergoes character development. I have no doubt she will become more mature and humane.

What's with the extreme bias?

I didn't read the manga by the way. ( i plan to at some point )
MonadMay 12, 2013 2:16 AM
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 11, 2013 8:58 PM

Mar 2010
Did we really need this topic?

I think the whole I hate/liking over each is overblown anyway. Most people have warm up to both characters at this point.
May 11, 2013 8:58 PM

Aug 2012
Dat reversal.
May 11, 2013 8:59 PM
Jul 2012
This thread is awesome. Thanks Monad on your insight. I personally think Eren is better than Misaka.
May 11, 2013 9:00 PM
May 11, 2013 9:02 PM
May 2013
...But I like them both
May 11, 2013 9:04 PM

Jun 2008
Jagd84 said:

I think the whole I hate/liking over each is overblown anyway. Most people have warm up to both characters at this point.

If that's your opinion then you should really love this thread instead.^_^
MonadMay 11, 2013 9:15 PM
May 11, 2013 11:14 PM

Feb 2013
Hate Eren, love Mikasa.

Eren is a whiny brat.

Mikasa is the only character that that seems competent.
May 11, 2013 11:15 PM

Jul 2012
I really hate it when characters show little to no emotion. That's why I don't like Mikasa. Though the 4th episode has changed my opinion of her a little. Even in the first episode before everything fell apart, even then, she was still showing little emotion and had a very cold and dark personality. I don't like that she shows so little emotion. I want her to cry and be sad, I want her to be angry with rage, I want her to smile and have fun every once in a while. And yet, I get little to nothing. Just that last mention towards the end of episode 4 where she says that she
That made me like her a little more, but still.
Eren on the other hand reminds me of me; A boy who never loses hope and thinks that humanity truly can win, despite everyone around him thinking otherwise. I like his determination. I don't like how rash he can be sometimes, but I still really like him. He feels the pain of having (does this really need a spoiler? It's from episode 1)
. He's felt pain, and he shows his emotions regularly. I like how serious he is, and how he's ready to fight, more than most in fact.
I would however like to see Eren have a really big fall emotionally. I want to see him broken, beaten, and saddened. I want him, to at least for a moment, lose hope and realize just how weak humanity is compared to the titans.
May 11, 2013 11:19 PM

Dec 2012
I hate both of them. I hope they hook up so I can hate them as a couple.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
May 11, 2013 11:37 PM

Sep 2012
Monad said:
So after 6 episodes of Attack on titan/Shingeki no Kyojin I'm seeing that people are calling the Misaka model, just a waifu with lipstick, cold, too perfect, selfish and annoying.

In anime we've seen characters like this before. However, I'm only used to these complaints when it comes to characters that go overboard and isn't really justified for acting that way. In this show, Mikasa is definitely justified for her cold blooded behavior. He saw her mother and a bunch of people around her get murder. It's reasonable that something will break inside her. She wants to fight and protect Eren. At least she's not one of those " reluctant whiny, damsel in distress " heroes. She's trying

Eren is liked because he's the typical super morally strong shounen guy archetype. Nothing too special at the moment. Not saying he won't develop but from the main characters Mikasa has the most potential to be the multidimensional character especially if and/or when she undergoes character development. I have no doubt she will become more mature and humane.

People are attacking Eren because he's a male main character. Simple as that. No matter what the character, no matter what the genre, no matter what the anime, a male main character will get ridiculous unwarranted hate. Period. No matter what.

People hate on Mikasa so much because, well, everybody is acting like she is the best thing since sliced bread. People are fawning over how badass she is, or how hot she is, or how cool she is, or how awesome she is, and just every single aspect of her character is blown way up and fanboyed about. I mean, we have how many threads dedicated to just her?

So people feel the need to hipster, and "go against" the outspoken love. They might not have actually hated Mikasa, but in order to stand out, they need to use stronger adjectives, as well as use the things that everybody loves about her against her. Like her being emotionless as a reason for why she is the worst character, or some bullshit like that. Or her lips. Her fucking lips.

It's all just hipsters who don't want to admit they're being hipsters.
May 11, 2013 11:39 PM

Dec 2012
Gutts gets no unwarranted hate. Spike gets no unwarranted hate. Makoto ito gets no unwarranted hate. You are wrong, red keys.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
May 11, 2013 11:43 PM

Apr 2012
Red_Keys said:
Monad said:
So after 6 episodes of Attack on titan/Shingeki no Kyojin I'm seeing that people are calling the Misaka model, just a waifu with lipstick, cold, too perfect, selfish and annoying.

In anime we've seen characters like this before. However, I'm only used to these complaints when it comes to characters that go overboard and isn't really justified for acting that way. In this show, Mikasa is definitely justified for her cold blooded behavior. He saw her mother and a bunch of people around her get murder. It's reasonable that something will break inside her. She wants to fight and protect Eren. At least she's not one of those " reluctant whiny, damsel in distress " heroes. She's trying

People are attacking Eren because he's a male main character. Simple as that. No matter what the character, no matter what the genre, no matter what the anime, a male main character will get ridiculous unwarranted hate. Period. No matter what.

People hate on Mikasa so much because, well, everybody is acting like she is the best thing since sliced bread. People are fawning over how badass she is, or how hot she is, or how cool she is, or how awesome she is, and just every single aspect of her character is blown way up and fanboyed about. I mean, we have how many threads dedicated to just her?

So people feel the need to hipster, and "go against" the outspoken love. They might not have actually hated Mikasa, but in order to stand out, they need to use stronger adjectives, as well as use the things that everybody loves about her against her. Like her being emotionless as a reason for why she is the worst character, or some bullshit like that. Or her lips. Her fucking lips.

It's all just hipsters who don't want to admit they're being hipsters.

no. you are just making generalizations because you can't accept other people's opinions. I've liked many male protagonists so your point is invalid. Both Eren and Mikasa have their flaws but I just find Eren the most annoying b/c he just preaches like an over zealous fanatic for the first 5 episodes then gets himself killed

May 11, 2013 11:46 PM
Sep 2009
3nvy said:
I hate both of them. I hope they hook up so I can hate them as a couple.

lol
May 11, 2013 11:52 PM

Oct 2012
Battlechili1 said:
I really hate it when characters show little to no emotion. That's why I don't like Mikasa. Though the 4th episode has changed my opinion of her a little. Even in the first episode before everything fell apart, even then, she was still showing little emotion and had a very cold and dark personality. I don't like that she shows so little emotion. I want her to cry and be sad, I want her to be angry with rage, I want her to smile and have fun every once in a while. And yet, I get little to nothing. Just that last mention towards the end of episode 4 where she says that she
Eren on the other hand reminds me of me; A boy who never loses hope and thinks that humanity truly can win, despite everyone around him thinking otherwise. I like his determination. I don't like how rash he can be sometimes, but I still really like him. He feels the pain of having (does this really need a spoiler? It's from episode 1)
. He's felt pain, and he shows his emotions regularly. I like how serious he is, and how he's ready to fight, more than most in fact.
I would however like to see Eren have a really big fall emotionally. I want to see him broken, beaten, and saddened. I want him, to at least for a moment, lose hope and realize just how weak humanity is compared to the titans.

So, you can only like characters that remind you of yourself? Pretty egocentric bro.

May 11, 2013 11:55 PM

Apr 2012
Shrabster said:
Battlechili1 said:

So, you can only like characters that remind you of yourself? Pretty egocentric bro.

lmao

May 11, 2013 11:59 PM

Sep 2012
Zeally said:
no.
Yes.

Zeally said:
you are just making generalizations because you can't accept other people's opinions.
You're right, I can't accept other people's stupid ass opinions.

Zeally said:
I've liked many male protagonists so your point is invalid.
Who said I was talking about you?

Zeally said:
Both Eren and Mikasa have their flaws but I just find Eren the most annoying b/c he just preaches like an over zealous fanatic for the first 5 episodes then gets himself killed
May 12, 2013 12:03 AM

May 2012
3nvy said:
Gutts gets no unwarranted hate. Spike gets no unwarranted hate. Makoto ito gets no unwarranted hate. You are wrong, red keys.

No strong female character near Gutts. If you're calling casca strong, you can go and jump off a cliff.

No strong female character near Spike

Makoto is hated.

False.
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
May 12, 2013 12:03 AM

Feb 2012
Well I...

May 12, 2013 12:06 AM

May 2012
VictorVonDoom said:
Well I...

Well i just quote your post and it saved my time.
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
May 12, 2013 12:12 AM

Apr 2012
Red_Keys said:
Zeally said:
no.
Yes.

Zeally said:
you are just making generalizations because you can't accept other people's opinions.
You're right, I can't accept other people's stupid ass opinions.

Zeally said:
I've liked many male protagonists so your point is invalid.
Who said I was talking about you?

Zeally said:
Both Eren and Mikasa have their flaws but I just find Eren the most annoying b/c he just preaches like an over zealous fanatic for the first 5 episodes then gets himself killed

] He goes in alone like no one is on his team. Everyone follows him. Everyone dies. Reckless disregard for his surroundings due to his strong urge to exact revenge. Great intentions doesn't mean you aren't incompetent. Perhaps he had an epiphany after he went all jihadi and got himself mortally wounded? Yep overzealous over emotional preacher.
zzzeallyMay 12, 2013 12:17 AM

May 12, 2013 12:13 AM

Jul 2012
Mikasa is actually one of my favorite characters in anime :)
May 12, 2013 12:18 AM

Jun 2008
They're both Ok.....nothing I haven't seen before.

The MC is your typical superhuman shounen and I don't read the manga but I'm a million% sure he's NOT dead and has some type of shounen hax.

Anyways, I can't blame him for that, nowadays every single shounen character has to be designed that way.

He's kind of annoying at times, but he's got his good moments too.

The female character is also very typical, she's very good looking, strong, and has a deep connection with the MC.

I simply haven't seen enough or anything major to make me "love" or "hate" these characters so far.

The story is dominating this anime so far, honestly, the characters are just not as interesting as the story, and that's actually a good thing.

Too many anime nowadays are all dependent on how much the audience likes the character regardless of the story.....and I'm talking about plot oriented anime here.
May 12, 2013 12:20 AM

Oct 2012
Red_Keys said:
Or her lips. Her fucking lips.

Anime hipster reporting in.

And Keys, you gotta admit, her lips are pretty un-moe.

ShrabsterMay 12, 2013 1:30 AM

May 12, 2013 12:22 AM

Jun 2009
I don't hate them.

I do however, slightly dislike the older Eren.

When he was a kid, I cannot criticize him for being overly aggressive/bratty/yelling at everyone he disagree with, but COME ON EREN! You're already 15, joined the army and you still act like how you did when you first met Mikasa?!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 12, 2013 12:34 AM

Nov 2011
Two complaints I've seen about over and over with Mikasa is 'SHES SO FUCKING CLINGY' and 'OMG THOSE LIPS'. Eren seems to be the one that has more hate directed to him.

AirStyles said:
I don't hate them.

I do however, slightly dislike the older Eren.

When he was a kid, I cannot criticize him for being overly aggressive/bratty/yelling at everyone he disagree with, but COME ON EREN! You're already 15, joined the army and you still act like how you did when you first met Mikasa?!

He's growing slowly but surely.
This was already shown in the training arc episode as you see him about ready to fucking explode in anger, but then realizes it, stops and instead just restrains Jean.

As for the rushing straight for the Titan, that runs more deep. I'm sure he thought his first fight against the titans since the death of his mother would have been completely different. Instead though, it just gave him the same outcome as before, sees a friend get killed, couldn't do a damn thing about it, just like with his mother.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
May 12, 2013 12:35 AM

Jun 2012
Stop hating characters, they're all good except for some *cough*spoilers*
May 12, 2013 12:43 AM

Nov 2009
MEanimaniac1 said:

/agree
May 12, 2013 12:51 AM

Jul 2012
Zeally said:
Shrabster said:
Battlechili1 said:

lmao

I can like other characters that don't remind me of myself. Its easier to identify with people like myself, however.
Also, I'm am somewhat narcissistic, I think.
May 12, 2013 1:18 AM

Apr 2011
Pirating_Ninja said:
MEanimaniac1 said:

/agree
May 12, 2013 1:46 AM

May 2012
Godtier_Taste said:
Tommk said:
No strong female character near Gutts. If you're calling casca strong, you can go and jump off a cliff.

''So strong...she's incredible.'' -Guts.

You just made me laughed the hardest for the day. Thanks. And I'm surprised some people know what I was implying.
May 12, 2013 3:17 AM

Mar 2013
MellowJello said:
Dat reversal.
May 12, 2013 3:24 AM

Jul 2010
AbovePsycho said:
MellowJello said:
Dat reversal.
LOL

But seriously, I don't get why people keep complaining about the lips.
The big brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
May 12, 2013 3:31 AM

Jun 2011
VictorVonDoom said:
Well I...

Me too. Spread the love.
May 12, 2013 3:52 AM

Apr 2013
Red_Keys said:

umm no ? ^ that statement is so full of bullshit.
People hate/dislike him because :
1/ He is annoying.
2/ Hotheaded generic shounen MC who likes to shout at everything before using his mind.
3/ He is idealistic.
4/ Overzealous and sometimes shows excessive emotions ( depends on the scene actually sometimes it's a good thing other it is just obnoxious)
5/ He is voiced by Kaji, Yuki.
But he will probably get better if he is brought back to life.
Arararraragi-kunMay 12, 2013 3:55 AM
May 12, 2013 3:56 AM

Nov 2011
Jean>Eren>Levi>Mikasa.

Arararraragi-kun said:
Red_Keys said:

1/ He is annoying.
2/ Hotheaded generic shounen MC who likes to shout at everything before using his mind.
3/ He is idealistic.
4/ Overzealous and sometimes shows excessive emotions ( depends on the scene actually sometimes it's a good thing other it is just obnoxious)

1. How? I see a hardworking if hotheaded young men with unmatched drive and an insanely high sense of justice.
2. He uses his mind alot. If you notice he is almost always right in what he was saying. He also concluded that the Colossal Titan was intelligent and realized how bad the situation was for the 2nd line in seconds.
3. I prefer the term driven with all the rage of mankind.
4.People are dying left and right, I would be worried if he wasnt showing emotion.
5. Kaji Yuki is a decent voice actor. Satoru>>>>>>>>>>>>You
dankickyouMay 12, 2013 4:01 AM
The Art of Eight
May 12, 2013 4:02 AM
Jun 2008
Arararraragi-kun said:
Red_Keys said:

1/ He is annoying.
3/ He is idealistic.
This is the word of a person who put Naruto as his character favorite . XD
May 12, 2013 4:02 AM

Apr 2009
I like Eren because he is legitimately batshit. You saw a bit of his sociopath side this episode.
May 12, 2013 4:08 AM
Aug 2012
I think Mikasa is alright. Eren is annoying as hell.
May 12, 2013 4:14 AM

Dec 2012
. . . . . .
Isn't it the other way around? I don't hate Eren but his personality is NOT likable. But I like Mikasa.
May 12, 2013 4:15 AM

Jan 2013
I don't understand why people think Eren is annoying after this 6 episodes, after everything he has been through....still I like both Eren and Mikasa.
May 12, 2013 4:22 AM

Apr 2013
MorningGlory said:
This is the word of a person who put Naruto as his character favorite . XD

Naruto > Eren. and Naruto actually matured over the course of the series he didn't say a hotheaded person. Eren will probably have the same kinda of development I am assuming.
I didn't actually say I hate/dislike Eren I am indifferent to him.
dankickyou said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
Red_Keys said:

1/ He is annoying.
3/ He is idealistic.

1. How? I see a hardworking if hotheaded young men with unmatched drive and an insanely high sense of justice.
2. He uses his mind alot. If you notice he is almost always right in what he was saying. He also concluded that the Colossal Titan was intelligent and realized how bad the situation was for the 2nd line in seconds.
3. I prefer the term driven with all the rage of mankind.
4.People are dying left and right, I would be worried if he wasnt showing emotion.
5. Kaji Yuki is a decent voice actor. Satoru>>>>>>>>>>>>You

1/ He is annoying no need to explain that a lot of people consider him to be annoying. Being annoying isn't something objective.
2/ Oh really ? examples please. ( realizing the Colossal titan was intelligent doesn't prove that he uses his mind it only shows he has common sense) even the information in his character page says:
notes on numerous occasions that he acts on impulse without thinking things through

3/ okay ? a lot of people dislike idealism , nothing new here.
4/ Can't you read ? I said when he shows excessive emotions and I didn't it is always a bad thing. Depends on the scene/situation really.
5/ Satoru ?
May 12, 2013 6:41 AM

Jul 2011
Yes, you can always found mindless haters, nothing new here.
May 12, 2013 7:03 AM

Mar 2013
ELVedeta said:
I don't understand why people think Eren is annoying after this 6 episodes, after everything he has been through....still I like both Eren and Mikasa.

I don't hate him I just don't like the way he acts, he's too reckless and brattish which in the situation(like episode 5)they're in will just lead to an early grave and more than likely get other people killed along side him.

As for Mikasa not showing emotion that due to what she's been though, people react to loss differently Mikasa and Eren are two sides of the same coin.

Eren became reckless and angry (although he's always been like that)while Mikasa became with-drawn, personally I prefer the way Mikasa reacted because she's not totally reckless and with time with someone special either friends or a lover she can be healed and open up eventually while Eren is just going to get himself killed and will probably end up dragging Mikasa down with him.

He really needs some sense beaten into him before it's to late.
NewhopesMay 12, 2013 7:14 AM

May 12, 2013 7:56 AM
Feb 2012
Since the topic's about Mikasa anyway, I might as well post it here -- in this latest episode, Mikasa saves the civilians from that deviant titan and proceeds to threaten the head merchant blocking the way with his carriage using her sword. While in the manga it takes her a mere look to scare the living shit out of said merchant, and to be honest I would've preferred seeing it that way. Nothing too major but since people claim that she's badass I figured they should know that she's even more badass. :>
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
May 12, 2013 8:00 AM
May 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
Red_Keys said:

1/ He is annoying.
3/ He is idealistic.
"umm no ? ^ that statement is so full of bullshit."

Araragi, please stop. Every time you post, I have the urge cut myself.

Arararraragi-kun said:

1/ He is annoying no need to explain that a lot of people consider him to be annoying. Being annoying isn't something objective.
2/ Oh really ? examples please. ( realizing the Colossal titan was intelligent doesn't prove that he uses his mind it only shows he has common sense) even the information in his character page says:
notes on numerous occasions that he acts on impulse without thinking things through

3/ okay ? a lot of people dislike idealism , nothing new here.
4/ Can't you read ? I said when he shows excessive emotions and I didn't it is always a bad thing. Depends on the scene/situation really.
5/ Satoru ?

1. Then why are you bashing on people who don't think he's annoying?
2. No; you are the one lacking common sense.
3. And...your point is?
4. See 3.
5. Please. If you're willing to argue without being knowledgeable on the subject, don't argue at all.

I don't dislike either character. Personally, I find Eren to be a great MC, so I don't understand the hate for him, and people shouldn't hate Mikasa just because others like her. That's utterly ridiculous.
AestherMay 12, 2013 8:06 AM
May 12, 2013 8:05 AM

Oct 2010
Mikasa's reaction to this thread.

May 12, 2013 8:14 AM
May 2012
dankickyou said:
Jean>Eren>Levi>Mikasa.
Wow, complete opposite for me lol.

I would include Annie, but spoilers...

Hyack said:
Mikasa's reaction to this thread.

lol.
May 12, 2013 8:16 AM

Aug 2012
So much TL;DR in this thread
May 12, 2013 8:21 AM

Sep 2012
Red_Keys said:

Can people stop saying bullshit? Luffy from One Piece, Edward Elric from FMA:B; Lellouch from Code Geass... Those guys usuallly top the character contest of their serie and are only hated by people who hates their anime anyway.

Tommk said:
3nvy said:

Makoto is hated.

What part of unwarranted didn't you get?
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Apr 24, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.