Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this character?
May 10, 2013 7:26 AM

Nov 2008
Spotlight Character: Alice Carroll (Aria)

MAL Character Information Page: Alice "Kohai-chan, Orange Princess" Carroll

MAL Favorites: 281

Original spotlight thread: Alice Carroll (Aria)

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with this character discuss what they think makes it an exceptional character. What attributes make it stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character moulds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE RESURRECTION POLL

Alice Carroll was PERMANENTLY barred from induction into the club Character list:
27 Yes - 57.4%
20 No - 42.6%

25 Don't know this character - 30.1% of the total number polled
11 Abstained - 13.3% of the total number polled
Dark-EvolutionMay 30, 2013 11:33 PM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 11, 2013 5:29 PM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
Which season is Alice the most developed? I've only seen Animation and I don't think she was fully developed in that one.
May 11, 2013 5:55 PM

Feb 2012
Aria the Origination
May 11, 2013 7:02 PM

Sep 2009
I'm pretty surprised we even need this rez. NoteD made a very good case for her in the original.

noteDhero said:
I'll be voting 'yes.' Of all the girls in Aria, Alice grows the most. As far as her talent is concerned, yes, she may be the most stagnant, but as a person, unlike Akira and Aika, her flaws aren't dismissed until the end because they cause constant conflict in her being able to relate to all the other girls most of the time. So even though she is the prodigy of all the characters, she's the most human compared to the tsundere Aika and the always-happy-and-relatively-calm-no-matter-what Akira. I loved seeing her become friends with Aika and Alice; see her vulnerability with Maa compared to humans; understand her childishness in dealing with Athena; and overcoming her fear of really opening up to others in her singing for the Undine exam. On an emotional level, Alice's feelings always felt grounded and justified from her perspective. The fact that she is also so quirky and funny also made me love her more.
May 11, 2013 7:15 PM

Feb 2008
DrGonzo7 said:
Which season is Alice the most developed? I've only seen Animation and I don't think she was fully developed in that one.

Yeah, I don't think it's fair to cast a vote unless you've watched all three seasons. Animation especially is weak with regards to characterization. She has perhaps the best or second best episode in Origination, which is saying quite a bit.
May 12, 2013 3:42 AM

Feb 2012
Veronin said:

Yeah, I don't think it's fair to cast a vote unless you've watched all three seasons. Animation especially is weak with regards to characterization. She has perhaps the best or second best episode in Origination, which is saying quite a bit.

Seeing as her episode is easily my favorite episode ever this would be a fast yes from me. noteDhero said everything else needed.
May 12, 2013 6:06 AM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
Veronin said:
DrGonzo7 said:

Hmmm, I guess I'll just have to abstain from this one. I don't have time to watch all of the seasons right now.
May 12, 2013 10:03 AM

Jul 2009
I've only been reading the manga, but I'd have to echo the sentiments on her being a more well-rounded character. While the other characters do have their occasional conflict, Alice actually has personality problems from the very beginning that she has to resolve, and it's dealt with in a very gradual, and realistic way. This is something I feel is the cornerstone of a good character.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.