Forum Settings
Forums
New
Is Katanagatari essential viewing material for the aspiring patrician?
This series is for true patricians and belongs in the enlightenment list!
22.2%
This series is neither very enlightening, nor is it very harmful to view; add this series to neither list.
66.7%
This series is for plebeians and belongs in the relations list!
11.1%
9 votes
Mar 23, 2013 6:38 PM

Mar 2009
Please explain your reasoning for which option you have chosen or your vote shan't be counted.

Dear Fellow Patricians and Aspiring Elitists,

Let us all decide together if this series represents the betterment of anime or the sort of garbage that is ruining the medium. Use the opinions expressed in this poll to help you choose whether or not you want to watch it, but do not vote if you have not seen the series in its entirety.

Sincerely, Your Fellow Blue Blood
AlabastreAizoMar 27, 2013 2:02 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 23, 2013 6:38 PM

Mar 2009
I have not seen the whole series; I shall refrain from voting.
Mar 23, 2013 6:44 PM

Sep 2011
You should have waited another week or two. I had planned to watch this next week.
I guess I have to abstain from voting this time around.
I will use this opportunity to ask the people who have watched it how much I should prioritize it.
Mar 23, 2013 7:00 PM

Oct 2012
I really agree with Haakonwale. This poll should've been scheduled so more people would watch it. But oh well. Time to defend it's greatness.

This series is for true patricians and belongs in the enlightenment list! (My Solid Vote).

Katanagatari is not just your typical wuxia tale, in fact, it's not so much about its plot. It's plot is very basic at its heart: gather 12 great ancient swords. That's it. The thing that really makes Katanagatari what it is (and one of my top five favorite anime), is what it does with the simple plot. It becomes the most thorough tale of character development I've seen in anime. Shichika (the protagonist) starts off as a blank slate but goes and develops per episode. Each episode specifically changes something in him or makes him understand "emotions". But that's not where it leads up to. I don't want to spoil anything so here's a metaphor. Shichika Yasuri is raw steel at first, pounded and crafted as the episodes go on, heat filling in him with each pound, until the last episode when the heat is doused, leaving him complete but at the same time empty, cold like a katana. That alone might've given away too much, so just watch all 12 hours of this series instead.

This is a series with a simple plot which builds to something great. The lengthy dialogues of Nisio Isin are used here to further expound on character distinction and foreshadowing. And the ending is loud and powerful, a worth ending to any action show. Plus, it's music score is really great and it's animation is simplistic but fresh.

To be short, vote option 1 if you've watched this, and watch this if you haven't yet. It's really good.
Mar 23, 2013 7:04 PM

Mar 2009
I have never seen polls scheduled before. I suppose I shall warn you all in the future. I was looking through old pages of the enlightenment thread and Katanagatari had something like four undisputed recommendations. I think it was not polled for long enough.
Mar 23, 2013 7:15 PM

Sep 2011
AlabastreAizo said:
I have never seen polls scheduled before. I suppose I shall warn you all in the future. I was looking through old pages of the enlightenment thread and Katanagatari had something like four undisputed recommendations. I think it was not polled for long enough.
Scheduling polls is actually a good idea. It gives the people who haven't seen the anime yet the opportunity to watch it before the poll.
Anyway, I will push up my schedule and try to finish Katanagatari in the next 4 days, if possible.
Mar 23, 2013 7:45 PM
Jul 2018
I'll put it bluntly, this show suffers from the exact same flaw every nisio ishin work have: verbal wall of texts. Like the monogatari series, it tries to use info dumping as a substitute for exposition (ie, less about reacting to circumstances and more about talking which in turn does not feel like a real adventure). The side-characters were just plot devices meant to flesh out the characters, I get that they're to develop the characters but there doesn't seem to be any sense of actual plot. Bad guys could've been more sympathetic if they had made a resolution between the main characters but no, they were just reduced to pawns just so the audience can empathize with.

The art style is pretty simplistic but that's pretty much it, it's just a different style. There is no ground breaking artsy approach or anything.

Then you have one of the most ass-pulled plot twists in anime history, how could you expect something like that without leaving foreshadowing beforehand? Oh wait, it doesn't matter anyway because the character in question does not become relevant anymore!

All in all, it is not the unique masterpiece everyone claims to be in a sense that it leaves much to be desired but if I'm missing or misunderstood anything I'll be open to any objections.
Mar 23, 2013 7:54 PM

Oct 2012
And so Pandora's box has been lifted. I'll be waiting for some more comments though before I reply. I'd like to see where this poll will go first before I do anything.
Mar 23, 2013 8:08 PM

Feb 2005
Burningblade04 said:
I'll put it bluntly, this show suffers from the exact same flaw every nisio ishin work have: verbal wall of texts. Like the monogatari series, it tries to use info dumping as a substitute for exposition (ie, less about reacting to circumstances and more about talking which in turn does not feel like a real adventure).
Definitely agree with that, but compared to Bake, where you had arcs for each character but still ended up not focusing much on each of them and leaving the "main" girl oddly out of the picture a lot, Katana manages more to consistently keep the focus on the two important main characters. As such there is not confusion between who is a side character and who is the main ones, and the lack of development of the former doesn't feel like a problem for me at least. The whole objective of gathering magic swords and shit also gives it a natural (if rather uninspired) sense of direction in the story, something that Bake lacks.

So I would say it manage itself quite a bit better than Bakemonogatari. Overall though I would be hard pressed to squeeze it above the middle option. It does a old and tried formula, and does it rather well with some fun (regardless of silly LOL UNEXPECTED stuff) twists, but not enough to make it 9-10 worthy as far as I am concerned.
Mar 25, 2013 8:02 AM

Jan 2013
I watched 2/3 of it and I think it's very good, I'll finish this today
option 1
edit : option 2 finally, I watched 2/3 because I jumped to last ep from the middle before, If I didn't get the urge to finish it that means it's not that good
shiranui51Mar 26, 2013 3:11 PM
Mar 25, 2013 12:00 PM

Mar 2009
Burningblade,

Please explicitly say which option you voted for.

shiranui51 said:
I watched 2/3 of it and I think it's very good, I'll finish this today
option 1
I will only count your vote once you've finished.
Mar 25, 2013 4:34 PM

Sep 2011
Just finished it and my vote is option 2. I don't think it's unremarkable, but still not good enough to be featured in our list.
I ended up scoring it 8/10.
Mar 25, 2013 7:44 PM
Jul 2018
Option 2. I feel as if this show is a niche in its genre. It does not appeal to those that don't have the patience to sit through, but it is definitely not something to see as outstanding either.
Mar 25, 2013 8:38 PM

Oct 2012
This is making me incredibly sad, but whatever. Katana is a definite cut above the rest of the "unremarkable" anime pool. The character development between the two leads are well done and I definitely disagree about the "ass-pull" ending. There was a lot of subtle, and sometimes, blatant hinting that the ending would lead there. It had a great feeling of inevitability and if I asked, I can look for the exact scenes as evidence. The episodes are tailor made to develop the characters, giving justice to its episodic nature.

I just feel like Katana isn't getting the fair trial it deserves. It's an anime that at least deserves a close call if it does slip out of the Enlightenment grace.
Mar 25, 2013 8:45 PM

Sep 2011
Ducat_Revel said:
This is making me incredibly sad, but whatever. Katana is a definite cut above the rest of the "unremarkable" anime pool. The character development between the two leads are well done and I definitely disagree about the "ass-pull" ending. There was a lot of subtle, and sometimes, blatant hinting that the ending would lead there. It had a great feeling of inevitability and if I asked, I can look for the exact scenes as evidence. The episodes are tailor made to develop the characters, giving justice to its episodic nature.

I just feel like Katana isn't getting the fair trial it deserves. It's an anime that at least deserves a close call if it does slip out of the Enlightenment grace.
I agree with everything you said. I just honestly don't believe it's good enough. I believe an anime need to be either a 9 or a 10 to be eligible for being in the enlightenment list, but Katanagatari is a solid 8, IMO.

I was underwhelmed by the amount of dialogue since previous posters made it sounds like there would be nothing but constant babbling, so complaining about that is a pretty weak sauce argument.
Mar 25, 2013 8:51 PM

Oct 2012
Thanks, Haakonwale. I'm not really upset that people have opposing notions, I expected it. I mean, no one's outright said that Katanagatari is a "bad" anime, which makes me very happy. I just think this poll is leaning towards one end too much when I expected this to be an even battle (seeing as it did get 5 uncontested Enlightenment votes). It deserves an even fight, at least.

Also, I'm totally with you on the dialogue. It's actually useful to the story and is definitely more constructive than Bakemono's dialogue.
Ducat_RevelMar 25, 2013 8:57 PM
Mar 25, 2013 10:29 PM

Nov 2011
With all the praise it was getting I was expecting it to make it to the enlightenment list as well. Unfortunately I haven't seen it yet myself so I can't comment one way or the other, but I do plan to watch it.
Mar 25, 2013 10:36 PM

Oct 2012
Amberleh said:
With all the praise it was getting I was expecting it to make it to the enlightenment list as well. Unfortunately I haven't seen it yet myself so I can't comment one way or the other, but I do plan to watch it.

Being the sore loser I am, I'm sure to repoll this a year from now or something, so maybe by then you can hop in and say what you have to.
Mar 26, 2013 7:58 PM

Mar 2009
Ducat,

Surely, if there is an outcry for a re-poll, it shall happen. I do not think you should do another poll if you are the only one who believes it should be done again though.
Mar 27, 2013 3:34 AM

Oct 2012
AlabastreAizo said:
Ducat,

Surely, if there is an outcry for a re-poll, it shall happen. I do not think you should do another poll if you are the only one who believes it should be done again though.

I was only kidding. Consider it as me tactlessly expressing my displeasure.
Mar 27, 2013 2:03 PM

Mar 2009
I understand your displeasure, Ducat.

The poll is now closed. Thank you to those who participated.
Mar 28, 2013 12:19 AM

Oct 2012
I guess I can just take comfort in the fact that no one believes this show is bad. It had a fair run. It wasn't really 10/10 material to begin with. It's within the 7 - 9 range so I guess this is fine. On with the next polls then.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.