Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (27) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 23, 2013 7:57 AM

Sep 2012
This anime is a masterpiece so far 10/10.
Mar 23, 2013 8:06 AM

Oct 2009
Amazing.

Great thought-provoking story. The direction and overall production of the anime was, for lack of a better term, not good, but I still enjoyed it.

I'd love to be able to read the novels. This would be a nice concept and text to study, if only it was western.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2013 8:13 AM

Jun 2012
I have no watched episode 25 and I agree with Yanoflies, it is thought provoking. Shinsekai Yori exceeded my expectations in the end, it was much deeper than I thought.
Art and music are simply beautiful.
ChepriMar 23, 2013 8:21 AM
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Mar 23, 2013 8:22 AM

Nov 2012
Ohh shit Kiroumaru & the "friend" died!Kind of surprised that "the fiend" was tricked so easily though.Squealer's punishment was intense,"sending signals of extreme pain to every nerve in his body,only to regenerate all the damage,denying him the salvation of death."Kind of surprised that the queerats were the non-cantus users,wasn't really thinking about that before watching,was thinking more about how the fiend was gonna die.Then them showing Squealer as an organ thing still being tortured only to be spared by Saki was a nice touch in showing Saki's kindness & humanity.

And omg Saki & Satoru finally got married,I'm so happy about that I love both of them so much,glad they finally fell in love.And omg Saki's pregnant hopefully their society will be better by the time the kid born.

Nice to see everyone Group 1 back this episode nearly brought me to tears T_T.And that final quote at the end "The power of imagination is what changes everything" was also a nice touch for the ending.10/10
Mar 23, 2013 8:23 AM

Jul 2012
Holy fuck I love this anime. Very well rounded ending that solidifies everything along with a few hints of what's to come for humans in the future. Lots of intriguing questions. Wonderful.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Mar 23, 2013 8:27 AM

Aug 2011
wow...amazing series. makes u think so much. my thoughts:

-it is kinda messed up that they made the humans without cantus into those things...but thinking from their point of view, what was the alternative? I guess they could've installed death feedback into the regular humans as well...
-no matter if they were originally human or not, extermination seems like the logical choice if you only want to create a peaceful society. After all, a rebellion might occur again in the future. Why do they even need servants when they have cantus? (actually rebellion is almost guaranteed seeing as how even kiroumaru was plotting against the humans at one point)
-hmm...im just wondering why the death feedback didnt reverse after maria's child saw her own reflection.
Mar 23, 2013 8:28 AM

Sep 2012
Just some information that the anime left out in the last episode

1. Saki gave the mercy death to Squealer one month after the end of trial and for that she only got one month of house arrest because she was viewed as a hero who saved the whole village.

2. The marriage of Satoru and Saki took place 2 years after the war

3. Saki became the head of the Ethical Committee, which means the top leader of the village, 3 years after the war, making her the youngest head in the village's history.

4. Satoru and Saki decides that if the baby is a boy they will name him Shun, if it is a girl they will name her Maria.

5. Not sure whether the English subtitle translates it, but near the end when we see Saki writing the memoir that is to become the story "Shinsekai Yori" we also see a paper with a list of the names of villages in Japan. This is to indicate Saki is trying to move out of each village's own isolation and to build up communication with other villages (even though they are far apart) -- one example is of course to warn other villages of what happened in her own village as well as in places outside (all those mutations etc).

BTW, I particularly like the idea how it turns the meaning of the kanji 化 (Bake) on its head by interpreting that it essentially shows two humans, one facing left and one facing right, to indicate transformation and change (and it is in fact the root of this kanji, as a form of ideograph), so this kanji carries a meaning of "human" which becomes very interesting when it is used as part of the name of the quuerats -- here queerat is just "changed human" rat.
symbvMar 23, 2013 8:49 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 23, 2013 8:30 AM
Oct 2010
what a series. shit was real.

fucking squealer. dont even think i can call him evil after this ep.
and that revelation @ the end ZOMFG what the fck. such a great series. would love to read the novel
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Mar 23, 2013 8:31 AM

Sep 2011
10/10.
Definitely one of the best shows in recent times. The ending left me with mixed feelings. Really wish the LN gets translated, it's a world worth exploring.

Though I really wish this show wasn't so underrated, it deserves the limelight, truly it does.
Mar 23, 2013 8:32 AM

Nov 2011
symbv said:

4. Satoru and Saki decides that if the baby is a boy they will name him Shun, if it is a girl they will name her Maria.

Being Mamoru is suffering...
The Art of Eight
Mar 23, 2013 8:32 AM

Sep 2012
sunfall said:
-hmm...im just wondering why the death feedback didnt reverse after maria's child saw her own reflection.
You mean when she saw herself in the mirror created by Satoru in the previous episode? She did not kill anybody when she saw her own reflection, right? So it makes nothing was triggered at that point. And since she probably never saw her own reflection you saw her getting perplexed and apparently did not realize it was a reflection she was seeing, so she proceeded to try to attack it. At the end her death feedback mechanism is still wired towards not killing another queerat.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 23, 2013 8:33 AM

Sep 2012
dankickyou said:
symbv said:

I guess probably that's why the anime cut that part out.

Mar 23, 2013 8:35 AM

Oct 2008
9,5/10

Fucking amazing series, would have been higher if not for some really minor flaws, one of the best settings in an anime, excellent plot, epic OST, and an excellent ending which leaves you with the conclusion that the war that started 1000 years ago never ended, it only changed form, from the conventional war to the emperors to the current society mutating the non-Cantus users in order to control them. Definitely amazing.
Mar 23, 2013 8:35 AM

Apr 2011
What an amazing series.I love it! I put it in my favourites list after the last episode. Even though it was slow sometimes, I liked everything else.

I was sad for Squealer and his punishment.

And really happy when I saw Satoru and Saki getting married <3

9/10 overall.

@Symbv: Thanks for the info about the last episode.
Makise11Mar 23, 2013 8:40 AM
Mar 23, 2013 8:48 AM

May 2010
Very satisfying ending so I'l give it 10/10
Mar 23, 2013 8:50 AM
Jul 2011
I am still mad that they did not let Squealer reveal what happened when Saki and Satoru left Maria and Mamoru as well as when did Squealer decided to rebel and stuff, it would defintely make the series better.
Mar 23, 2013 8:55 AM

Sep 2012
MyShadow277 said:
I am still mad that they did not let Squealer reveal what happened when Saki and Satoru left Maria and Mamoru as well as when did Squealer decided to rebel and stuff, it would defintely make the series better.
Not sure how it will make the series better though. The truth is we may have to accept that something will never be explained down to the bottom of details, and what happened to Maria and Mamoru is one of them. As for when Squaler decided to rebel I don't think it is really that important. Much more important is to know that any queerat with enough intelligence may harbor such thought (as we know even the "traditional" Kiromaru also carried such thought) and they may carry this thought for a long time and are just waiting for the opportunity.

Mar 23, 2013 8:56 AM

Jun 2009
symbv said:

Thanks symbv, you're always so helpful when it comes to this series. ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2013 8:57 AM

Sep 2007
Wonderful series, one of the most enjoyable and addictive I've seen lately, and Saki is definitely one of the best heroines out there! This is a 10/10 for me.

Mar 23, 2013 8:57 AM

Apr 2010
Mixed opinion about this show.

6/10
Mar 23, 2013 9:24 AM

Sep 2009
What a great anime.. Though, I'm a little bit disappointed since they were not able to show us Saki and Satoru kiss :D

But, overall .. it was great! Every episode, gives me suspense and it made my mind go crazy!
This is very great!
Mar 23, 2013 9:25 AM

Aug 2010
Absolutely brilliant finale to a fantastic show. 9.5/10
Mar 23, 2013 9:29 AM
Oct 2012
absolutely brilliant, 10/10. I am so sad to see this show end.
Mar 23, 2013 9:29 AM
Feb 2012
It was so very promising at first. Then came the episodes which were all tease and no progress. The story had many nice twist and characters, but by the time the last few episodes came around I got really annoyed with its just-the-tip philosophy.
In the end I feel like I watched a 24 episode prologue to see a 1 episode epilogue.
8/10 The premise and style was captivating at first, but I think the potential was wasted.
Mar 23, 2013 9:37 AM
Aug 2011
What a great show, it had the kind of atmosphere I enjoy.

Right now this had the most solid conclusion from the anime that have ended this season so far.
9/10
Mar 23, 2013 9:43 AM

Aug 2011
GREAT ENDING. I was shocked by what Satoru found out about the queerrats. I really loved this series and it will hold a special place in my memory. In the end i actually felt like squealer didn't deserve to be tortured and the way they took down the fiend was awesome.
Mar 23, 2013 9:44 AM
Oct 2009
very, very impressive final episode.

the human-rats will rise again.
Mar 23, 2013 9:53 AM

Jul 2011
dankickyou said:
symbv said:

The poor kid was ignored even after he died...
Mar 23, 2013 9:55 AM

Feb 2011
10/10 for me. I didn't even consider what the Queer Rat's origin might be during the show. Pretty interesting to learn that they come from humans.
いっぺん死んでみる?
Mar 23, 2013 10:05 AM

Nov 2011
EdenBaggins said:
dankickyou said:
symbv said:

T_T

The Art of Eight
Mar 23, 2013 10:11 AM

Sep 2011
Solid anime with great pacing and character development, it followed the Novel pretty damn well from what I heard.

Solid 9/10 for me.
Mar 23, 2013 10:11 AM

Nov 2012
EdenBaggins said:
dankickyou said:
symbv said:

Mamoru is OK. Reiko is the one ignored.. poor Reiko, no one remembers her, even the people who watched the anime :(
Mar 23, 2013 10:12 AM

Nov 2011
Lokkenaldo said:

Mamoru is OK. Reiko is the one ignored.. poor Reiko, no one remembers her, even the people who watched the anime :(

Who is Reiko? :v
The Art of Eight
Mar 23, 2013 10:14 AM

Sep 2012
^ Used to be the classmate of Saki etc at the beginning...
See? She is forgotten....

Mar 23, 2013 10:19 AM

Jul 2012
Nicely ended story. I'm glad I keep watching it after some rough start. I enjoyed it a lot.
Mar 23, 2013 10:20 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
symbv said:

Wow thank you for this! Indeed the story has an overall theme that is extremely thought-provoking. I especially like it how they didn't reveal anything (or at explicitly reveal it) until the last episode. Makes most of us who hated the bakenezumi feel like crap because we misjudged them. Or at least I feel that way. Even so, I wouldn't have sentenced Squealer to such a cruel and brutal fate. Saki made the right decision to relieve him of that. I respect Squealer a lot after this episode. He had stood up for what he believed, that he is a human, even when all the other spectators at the trial laughed at him. The judge really angers me with her speaking is a superior way, as if she's really a "god" compared to Squealer. Basically, this episode really got me thinking, and I'm still thinking about it.

You mentioned something about this season about Psycho Pass and Shinsekai Yori. I had the same thought as well! Both anime left me utterly stumped. Not at the ending per se, but more because of the questions they asked in the very end.

(Btw, Satoru and Saki at the end is pure win XD I'm glad they're together. They both seem very happy.)
tingyMar 23, 2013 10:26 AM
Mar 23, 2013 10:27 AM

Sep 2008
Just watched the finale.

Man, I wasn't expecting the anime to deliver the final twist before closing it (Probably the first anime to do such a mind-blowing twist). I wonder what will be the fate of those with Cantus and those without Cantus (The queerats) in near future.

Been awhile since I rate the anime with finale episode 10/10.
Mar 23, 2013 10:32 AM

Aug 2012
I'm quite surprised that it's not the bad ending that I predicted, but still the ending was satisfying. The queerats were actually humans without Cantus that have molerat genes inserted into their DNA? I was shocked when I heard of this.

On another note, I just noticed a significant bump in the score, from around 7.8-ish last week to 8.10 this week. It's finally getting the score it deserves.

Overall, great story and plot twists, excellent character development, nice art (I'm not complaining, but it could've been better). A 9/10 for me.

tripmodeMar 23, 2013 10:36 AM

My Youtube page: link
Mar 23, 2013 10:33 AM
Oct 2010
The best anime of fall 2012 season. With this ending, SSY raped PP and others. I wish we could get a glimpse of how Mamoru e Maria died. I was kind curious...
Mar 23, 2013 10:34 AM

Feb 2008
NOOOOO !!!!! Shinsekai yori and Psycho-Pass are over !!!! What am I gonna' do ?

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Mar 23, 2013 10:37 AM
Jan 2012
One of the best animes I've ever seen. Just perfect.
I'm so sad it's over. ;(
Mar 23, 2013 10:44 AM

Sep 2012
tingy said:
I especially like it how they didn't reveal anything (or at explicitly reveal it) until the last episode. Makes most of us who hated the bakenezumi feel like crap because we misjudged them. Or at least I feel that way.
I think this is the smartest writing that the author put into his story (among other smart and intelligent writing) because the novel set us from early on to identify with the cantus human from the beginning and, while it shows the queerats in sympathetic light from time to time, we never really get a good reason to think they are the equal of the cantus human, and we never have good reason to really connect to them or trust them - their world looks so odd and unfamiliar and their living environment looks so much closer to something for beasts and animals, and even the queerat closest to human (at least talk most like a human), Kiromaru, is not fully trusted until near very end. The ending pretty much turns on my own head and slaps us hard on the face, questioning us if our natural tendency to associate with something that looks more advanced or more beautiful blinds us into a tendency to discriminate based on external traits. But even so, it does not mean that Squealer is unquestionably a hero -- he may be a hero worthy of legend to his own race, but to the human he is an absolute traitor and mass killer, and an unrepentant one too. At the end if we look at ourselves, it is difficult to say which side you want to root for. If the world in this story really comes into reality, your descendents may become the human but they may also become the squeerats. And each side just tries to live on and makes sure its race will survive (and perhaps thrive), and there will be decision made and sacrifice made (perhaps at the expense of the other side) in order to reach that goal.
symbvMar 23, 2013 11:14 AM

Mar 23, 2013 10:47 AM

Aug 2009
I couldn't ask for a better ending, it felt complete. Saki and Satoru will live a peaceful life from now on, being married and having a child together, I'm so happy for them.
I kinda saw the Queer Rat = Human, being a possibility but having it confirmed sure left a bad taste in my mouth. Then we saw how the death sentence on Squealer was carried through and it was awfully painful. Nothing is fair in this world and someone must pay the price. Saki and Satoru lost everything, I miss their childhood friends but they still have their memories and each other.

Shinsekai Yori is one of those rare narratives that makes you feel uneasy and always questioning what is human and what is right or wrong. The progression and information sharing were slow, but seriously, everything about the atmosphere in this world had a very characteristic creepy feel to it. Not a single time did the background music feel out of place, it build up the tense atmosphere and made the beautiful scenery more memorable. Kudos to A-1 Pictures for being bold enough to creating this kind of series and being successful.

Would have giving it 9, but some of the impact on character personalities and mysteries changed in the third part, something I enjoyed more in the first and second part. Overall 8.5/10.
Mar 23, 2013 10:48 AM

Oct 2012
Who would've thought...queer rats were once humans that had naked mole rat genes inserted into them. This is without a doubt one of the most amazing series of Fall 2012-2013.

Satoru and Saki got married ^o^ Satoru looked so hot after the 10 year time skip.

Mar 23, 2013 10:48 AM
Apr 2012
This anime was so hard to wait a week for. Every thing had me at teh edge of my seat saying "oh my god what the fcuk reallY!!??" all the twists and turns were so mind blowing. The last episode literally was the icing on the cake. It was just spectacular. it was so underrated. NOW people are picking it back up because of how great it ended up to be.
Mar 23, 2013 10:50 AM

Aug 2009
Satoru always looks hot no matter what age, and now he's a hot daddy :P
Mar 23, 2013 10:52 AM

Aug 2008
Is it just me or does it make anyone else kinda mad that Saki wasn't willing to let Satoru use the Psychobuster to kill the fiend because it would kill him as well. But on the other hand she was perfectly fine with letting Kidoumaru get killed by the fiend if this meant it's death. Seriously the solution is the same either way....just makes her seem incredibly selfish and further makes you feel bad for the monster rats.

Amazing show regardless, but it's pretty sad you end up routing for the rats over the humans.
Mar 23, 2013 10:54 AM

Sep 2012
mikado34 said:
Kudos to A-1 Pictures for being bold enough to creating this kind of series and being successful.
The decision to animate this science fiction novel (not a LN) is indeed bold, although I would credit the publisher of the novel, Kodansha, more for the boldness. At the end, the decision to adapt a novel comes usually from the publisher, which then scouts around to find the suitable studio to animate it. Of course we can also credit A-1 Pictures for agreeing to take up the challenge to animate this novel which is not an easy task.

Mar 23, 2013 10:56 AM

Feb 2009
What an astonishing ending to one of the greatest TV anime series that i've seen in the past few years. This is one of those series that you can go back and re-watch it more than 3 times and still feel like you are watching it for the very first time. Seriously I'm gonna re-watch it again when UTW releases the blu-ray batch. In my book almost everything in this show was executed perfectly, it was simply amazing.

Music/Sound: 10/10
Character: 9.75/10
Story: 10/10
Art: 10/10
Animation: 9.5/10

Overall: 10/10
Mar 23, 2013 11:02 AM

Aug 2008
Nequam said:
hyperknees91 said:
Is it just me or does it make anyone else kinda mad that Saki wasn't willing to let Satoru use the Psychobuster to kill the fiend because it would kill him as well. But on the other hand she was perfectly fine with letting Kidoumaru get killed by the fiend if this meant it's death. Seriously the solution is the same either way....just makes her seem incredibly selfish and further makes you feel bad for the monster rats.

Amazing show regardless, but it's pretty sad you end up routing for the rats over the humans.

When you're at that high moment of letting the trigger go, sometimes you have doubts. Kiroumaru would do anything for the survival of his species, he is willing.

So is Satoru, but I guess it would be because she has a stronger bond with Satoru, so it would make sense that in either case she'd prefer to have Satoru alive.

Besides, if it were your own family member, I'm sure you would have second thoughts over having those you know get killed by spores. Its reasonable to act that way I'd say.

It's not that I don't understand her actions, it's just makes her seem pretty selfish is all. And all it really did was delay the inevitable (That somebody had to die to kill the fiend).
Pages (27) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2012

280 by fathandz »»
Feb 15, 4:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.